• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will WWE Add The Crippler Crossface To The Banned Move List

justinsayne

Cody Rhodes is an excellant
With WWE trying to distance and not acknowledge Benoit, does this mean that they will add the Crippler Crossface submission hold to their Banned move list?, I've been wondering that for days, and another question comes to mind, should they add it to the list?, personally I don't think they should ban the move totally, maybe just not use it for a year or two, then give it a different name, if Dean Malinko were to ever wrestle again, I think he should be allowed to use it since he was the guy that gave it to Benoit

on a side note I really didn't want to create another Benoit related thread since there are so many already, but I didn't know where else to post this

Tough Decision, considering he didn't make the move.

I know I feel weird about seeing anyone either then Sting or the Rock performing the Sharpshooter, and the WWE hardly lets anyone use a Figure Four unless their in a match with Flair.

I could see it going 1 of 2 ways.

They slap the move on CM Punk, and make him the new Dynamite/Benoit guy. The smaller guy that is just a box of rage and supreme bad ass in the ring. Rename it from the Crippler, and pretend no one ever used it before.

Or they simply bury it and it will never be used again, which is a damn shame because it looks so fucking impressive.

And no, I'm not serious about the Rock.

I honestly wondered this myself. In all honesty, I do see CM Punk use the Crossface as a finisher sometime soon. But, then again, they may very well give the move to someone else after a year or two. I don't think they will ban the move though. Because and only because, although WWE is trying to distance themselves from Benoit in all regards, they cannot and will not deny he was a great wrestler. He truly was. So, box sets will still have Benoit matches, people will still use the same moves that he did. Because if they were to ban the Crippler Crossface it would be almost the same as banning the German Suplex (a trademark of his), a snap suplex (another trademark of his). Moves are always recycled once a wrestler passes, kinda cruel to say, but it is the honest to God truth. If you don't recycle moves, all they are are just moves that are "modified" so, maybe someone will eventually have a "modified" Crossface.

Benoit will be separated from WWE, but never his career, I said it before and I say it again. Benoit was one of the best wrestlers ever, no denying it, but no one, has to defend, agree, or support what happened at the end. But, never, deny he was an awesome wrestler.

I dont think they will but I will like to think that the crossface will be a banned move for a good 1-2 years and some new up and comer will use it ot some mid-carder will be allowed to use it. I doubt they will ban it as its a great submission move that has been around and will be. Next you have to think the flying headbutt will also dissappear for awhile then come back. They shouldnt ban the cross face as its a great move and looks damn good when done right. So I dont think they will but it will be gone from WWE for a while.

Well it's very obvious that WWE is staying clear of even mentioning Benoit's name for the time being. They gave him the tribute show and that's it. Dont expect any storylines based off of this tragic event. And I'm kinda glad. After Eddie died, I found that the resulting storyline got very tasteless at times. But as far as the crossface goes, the finisher will remain taboo for a good long time. It's just too soon. And how's JR gonna call it? Every time the frog splash is done by a wrestler other than RVD, someone always says by default, " a tribute to the late eddie guerro..." The WWE is trying to dodge media and even congressional backlash for the Benoit tragedy. Chris Benoit will eventually be remembered for his contributions to the business, but we will all have to wait for the media feeding frenzy to die down.

Another interesting note: Look how Kurt Angle does three german suplexes in a row. He started that in the WWE years ago and very few remarks were ever made about it being a Benoit thing. Obviously, Angle sees something great that fits his personality and made it his own. But now every time I see Angle bust those three germans back to back, I will be thinking of one of the last great technical wrestlers, Chris Benoit.

People consider it to be Benoit's move. So nobody is going to suddenly start using it. If he did people would automatically think of Benoit. And nobody want's to be associated with him. Maybe in a few years somebody on the indys might start using it. But I think that move is done in WWE. It's a shame because unlike some submission moves it looks legitimatley painfull.

Well, I'm really torn about this issue because if it's found to be true that he used this move (or a variation of it) to kill his son like it has been speculated then NO I don't think anyone anywhere out of respect to Daniel should use this move ever again! But on the other hand if they determine conclusively that it was not used in the murder then I will agree with most of you and give a few years before it resurfaces.

benoit did not use the crossface to kill his son....in reality al it would do it breaker your arm/shoulder and daniel wouldnt die due to that....i think the move will get recycled becasue he didnt make it in the first place and it is, as so many others have said, just a good, painful looking move

(benoit did not use the crossface to kill his son....in reality al it would do it breaker your arm/shoulder)

In response to that..If daniel really did have fragile X syndrome.. this probably would kill him. Not to mention Benoit was so steroided and daniel was only 7. I'm not saying he did this..he probably just smothered him with a pillow.

But to ban the crippler crossface.. I'm not sure they'll do that. The thing they'll probably do is just not use it for a good couple of years. They should really wait for everything to come out of this tragedy first.

Well I htink that the Crossface may go on a hiatus for a few years. I feel the WWE will wait for the whole Benoit story to die down. Perhaps the stigma will never truly go away, but once it dies down I htink the WWE will reintroduce the move.

I think it will be best if the WWE put it on a new up and coming star in the future. Not someone currently on the roster that has been on tv like Punk, but someone that has yet to make their debut who maybe doesnt even have a contract of any sorts with the WWE currently.

I think it will be known as the crossface and not the 'Crippler' crossface, I htink thats a given.

Either way it should be interesting to see what the WWE does.

yeah, i think that in a couple of years someone will start using a modified version of it, but i dont think they'll ban the move

i mean remember the 2 out of 3 falls match? punk and burke did those pinning combinations that dean and benoit did in the past, we had just seen on raw them doing that same thing, if WWE let that happen then i guess they'll still use the crossface

OK... I just want to take a moment... and say... anyone believing that Benoit used the Crippler Crossface to kill his son, is an idiot. First and foremost, the autopsy showed that his son was "smothered"

Smother:
1. to stifle or suffocate, as by smoke or other means of preventing free breathing.
2. to extinguish or deaden (fire, coals, etc.) by covering so as to exclude air.
3. to cover closely or thickly; envelop: to smother a steak with mushrooms.

The Crippler Crossface:
From behind the opponent the wrestler locks his hands together and pulls back on the face of the opponent, pulling the neck of the opponent backwards. The move requires some leverage to be applied, and as such it cannot be applied on a freely standing opponent.

The Crossface would have broken his sons neck or shoulders before it would have choked him out.

***It kind of upsets me to even post that, but it is just a Media Scare because Benoit used a "choking move in wrestling." The media will wear this subject thin, and they need to realize... there were two different people in this case... The character Chris played, and the real Chris Benoit***

Seen as the move technically belongs to Dean Malenko I dont see why they should. It would just mean not mentioning Benoit's name when it is being used by another wrestler. But in saying that, it is entirely up to the company when and if they will ever use the move again.

Say good bye to the crossface. It doesnt belong to Malenko because Malenko "gave" it to Benoit. Malenko preferred the texas cloverleaf. Malenko was a great technical wrestler that invented alot of moves and holds for the industry to use and Benoit is not the only wrestler to use a move that could be traced back to Malenko. However, none of the wrestlers are wearing a "CB" arm band like they did for Eddie. There are no tributes to Benoit. They gave him three hours on Raw, they scrapped some story lines because of Benoit. The wrestlers spoke about how they felt on TV. Its done. Benoit's tribute is over and it wont resurface because the media is tearing this tragedy to shreds like they do to anything. The WWE is playing their cards right by almost denying Benoit's existence for the time being. None of us wrestling fans agree, but its the best thing for the business at this time. Maybe one day, the WWE will release a big DVD package of Benoit's highlights. But it wont be until the memory of this horrible event has faded away. I doubt anyone on TV will ever use the Crossface. Maybe in like 50 years....

I'm also torn about this issue. On one hand it's a great (if not the greatest) submission move that I could see maybe CM Punk using in the futre, but on the other hand if he DID use it kill Daniel then no it shouldn't be used ever.

I don't think he used the move to kill his son, so I think they'll bring it back in 1-3 years like it's been said before, maybe slap it on an Indy wrestler before they push him into WWE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back