• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will we ever see a feud as personal as CM Punk vs Jeff Hardy again?

CM Steel

A REAL American
In 2009 after Jeff Hardy won his second world title in the WWE after defeating Edge in a ladder match at that years Extreme Rules pay per-view. CM Punk cashed in his Money in the Bank contract on Jeff Hardy moments after Hardy won the world title. Setting Punk up for his first heel run in the WWE. During this long feud between the two superstars things got too personal for comfort during the PG era in the WWE. When CM Punk and Jeff Hardy's ways of life clashed big during the feud. In where CM Punk is straight edge and Jeff Hardy was in the mist of his addictions (Drugs mainly).

CM Punk pretty much put Jeff Hardy's real-life profile on blast for the people (the PG fans) who didn't know about Jeff Hardy's demons. The feud would last all summer long with both guys swapping the World Heavyweight Championship. With finally after the first Smackdown post Summerslam 2009, CM Punk beat Jeff Hardy for the final time for the WHC in a steel cage match, with that being Jeff Hardy's final match in the WWE.

We've seen many wrestling feuds that brought real-life into the storylines like within the CM Punk-Jeff Hardy feud. From Bret Hart & HBK to John Cena & the Rock. But with that being said. Will we ever see a feud as personal as CM Punk vs Jeff Hardy again?

Do you mean "personal" as in "storyline personal" or real life personal? Firstly, you give an example of real life based personal fued (Hardy/Punk) then go on to mention "John Cena and The Rock"?

Examples of some storyline personal fueds are- Steve Austin/Triple H, Triple H/Shawn Michaels, Shawn Michaels/Chris Jericho, Triple H/Randy Orton etc. John Cena and The Rock comes into this category.

Fueds that were made from real-life situations of wrestlers into wrestling storylines are Jake Roberts/Jerry Lawler, Edge/ Matt Hardy, etc.

Sometimes, fueds like these come off of as lazy booking. Its easier to make a storyline out of some real life issue than to come up with something new.

Will we ever see a feud as personal as CM Punk vs Jeff Hardy again?
I was not really a big fan of this fued but yes, probably. A similar fued to this was Punk/Jericho most recently.

Jericho vs. Punk was one of the most personal rivalries since WWE went pg. I witnessed 1 of their matches, and the storytelling in the match was awesome, and it really solidified Y2J as a very good heel. I honestly don't think Rock vs. Cena was anywhere close to a personal rivalry which was talked about earlier.

The feud between Randy Orton and Rey Mysterio culminating into a Triple Threat at Wrestlemania 22. Taking a cheap shot about your opponent fighting his battles with drugs is one thing, but to say your opponent''s friend was burning in Hell not too long after his death is another. It was one of the most disrespectful angles in professional wrestling in my opinion.

I think WWE will be more careful when it comes to "personal storylines", because of the current climate with the PG and all. The CM Punk/Hardy feud was a good one because of the different lifestyles they lead and the fact that there was some real animosity there between them. I think a splash of real life problems between two wrestlers make for a better story to tell and makes everybody's job easier.

Like I stated before, I doubt we will see a personal feud of that magnitude again... Unless Punk returns and sounds off on Vince and Co. because I'm starting to believe this situation with Punk is a worked shoot but, you know he always has a chip on his shoulder when it comes to authority.

Jeff and Punk was never really a personal feud until after Jeff left. They used real life issues in the feud but it was 100% company made until Jeff and Punk had issues after he left.

The two top personal feuds i remember are HBK vs Brett Hart. For years after what went down in Montreal they hated each other. This one was personal but because Brett went to WCW we never got a pay off really and years later they buried the hatchet.

Matt Hardy vs Edge is probably the most realistic a feud has ever been in recent years. Edge was married at the time im pretty sure and Lita and Matt were dating when Edge and Lita started screwing around. Matt eventually was fired then brought back and had a pretty decent feud with Edge over the real life issues. I think this is also the most personal feud because all the people effected by it. I still think the story line is one reason Lita left so early. She disliked having her personal life become a t.v story line.

I dont doubt the WWE would take a real life issue and turn it into a story line. The personal issues are great for adding a little extra to the feuds if a similar issue like Edge/Hardy happened again.

I dont think you will ever get as personal as Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels.

More recently The Rock and John Cena got very personal as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back