Will Randy Orton surpass the Rock?

Savion83

Pre-Show Stalwart
As we know Randy Orton and the Rock aka Dwayne Johnson are both third generation wrestlers. And their paths are very simular in many ways.

-Former WWE Champions
-Former IC Champions
-Former Tag Team Champions
-Were in dominant factions
-Lead factions
-Headlined Wrestlemania(s)

With Randy Orton still active in wrestling. Will Orton surpass "the great one" the Rock as the new next generation wrestling megastar? Randy Orton is super over with the WWE universe as a super heel & a babyface. And is a strong leader in the WWE locker room. And with Orton's movie career coming soon, who knows? Orton just might be as popular as the Rock or even better?

no. Orton can NOT play the crowd the way Rock could. doesnt quite have the charisma that he did either. really 'nuff said right there. Orton doesnt have the same qualities that made Rock a mega star, titles aside, as those dont mean crap, those are storyline, im talking character wise no way will Orton surpass Rocky

no. Orton can NOT play the crowd the way Rock could. doesnt quite have the charisma that he did either. really 'nuff said right there. Orton doesnt have the same qualities that made Rock a mega star, titles aside, as those dont mean crap, those are storyline, im talking character wise no way will Orton surpass Rocky

Gotta agree here. Rock had this intangable that I never understood with his fans that Orton just doesn't. Orton his the better wrestler but their was just something special about The Rock. He would cut the same damn promo almost every week & the people never seemed to notice or care cause of that special quality that either you have or you dont. Orton is good in his own way but not in the same way as The Rock.

I dont see it happening. The rock can get the crowd going. Orton, well he can just not as much. The Rock can tell jokes even as a heel. Can you imagine Randy orton telling a joke. all orton usually says is he's gonna RKO you or Punt you..... in the skull. Now Orton is a great wrestler just i dont see him passing The Rock.

Honestly I don't even see how that question can be even close to debatable. Randy Orton will never be close to the great one.

Im on board with everyone else. There is no way that Randy Orton can surpass what the Rock is. The Rock is electrifying, the people's champ, the jabroni beatin - pie eatin, the brahma bull, the guy thats gona layeth the smaketh down on your candy a**. And whta is Randy Orton? A serious dude that goes by the nickname of Viper. The Rock connected with th fans a lot better than Randy Orton does. I think a better comparison would have been to compare Randy to Stone Cold. But then again, Stone Cold is still better hands down.

orton will never surpass the rock as a "megastar" like everyone else on this thread has said the rock was everything that a megastar was supposed to be. when he was a face everyone loved him and when he was a heel....everyone loved him. with randy orton, when he was a heel everyone loved to hate him and now that he's a face he still looks like a heel. sorry i rambled on...will orton ever be a bigger megastar then the rock....hell no.

Thats like saying will stone cold surpass hogan. No, but they are both highly regarded in the business. When orton retires he will be on the same level as the rock, austin, hogan, cena, etc.

Orton is gonna be huge and is huge but not as great as "The Great One" even though im a huge Orton fan, the rock made me love Wrestling , the rock was Super Huge larger than life the way he did his promo's how he captivated the crowd how he had them in the palm of his hands :\ sorry The Rock Hands down.

I don't even see why this question was asked. You have your high tier of wrestlers: SCSA, Rock, Hogan, HBK, Taker, Flair, etc.

Then you have your superstars that are up there, but a level down from those previously listed. Goldberg is often placed in this list. I would argue both Cena and Orton being on this level.

People have got to remember that The Rock started as a nobody who was by no standards over and infact was showed to be a boring face. It wasn't until he became a heel that he was embraced for telling the fans what he rally thought about them. Randy Orton has time to do this as shown before The Rock wasn't TMEMISE over night it took time to work out an effective gimmick for him.

No, Orton does not have the same charisma or in ring abilities that The Rock did. When is said and done Randy will be amongst the greats but he will never surpass The Great One.

People often said Dwayne Johnson didn't have the charisma needed to become a superstar and well he shut up the doubters big time, in this case Randy Orton could do the exact same thing, saying "no" without any evidence is more of a ignorant statement than anything else.

Orton is big, he might well he huge but the Rock and Austin situation was just something different. I don't even think Hogan had that kinda pop going for him during the height of the attitude era.. if he did he was the only one close to them.

HBK and Taker have been big time over too, but nobody has been close to Rock or Austin.

The answer is then.. Orton is not.. and likely never will be, but he is over like rover right now.

Orton is very over right now and can play a tweener role and a heel role perfectly a draw a big reaction. One of the things I always remember about The Rock is the People's Elbow. Used to see the camera pan out a bit and watch the crowd go mental. The move may not be the greatest but his in-ring charisma sold it.

Orton has the 'Viper pose' as it's known but I don't know if he could pull that off as a face. He just looks angry.

Austin and Rock's success can be at least partially attributed to the Attitude era. They weren't exactly masters in the ring, but they could entertain like no one else, but neither of them would work in the PG era of today. Orton is completely and utterly over with the crowd. He could RKO John Cena and still get cheered. I do feel that if WWE were less PG, Orton could do even better and could unleash a lot more brutality, almost being this generation's answer to Stone Cold.

Will Orton surpass The Rock? No....and it's highly unlikely that anyone will surpass The Rock, unless WWE programming goes somewhat less PG, allowing a next generation Rock or an Austin to do what they do best.

I don't see how you can compare these two wrestlers , they're totally opposites and from two different era ( attitude era and pg era ) but I was reading that wwe magazine about " Randy orton vs stone cold " and wwe says orton's career has passed stone colds , orton has just as many fans as John cena and he's only been babyface for less then a year .. and John cena is argueably the most loved superstars ever .

and wwe says orton's career has passed stone colds , orton has just as many fans as John cena and he's only been babyface for less then a year .. and John cena is argueably the most loved superstars ever .

well i dont agree that Orton passed Austin.. not even a bit. but not so sure about the Cena thing only due to the fans being so split about him. where as you have Hogan, and Austin, and to some degree the Rock, who when they were on top EVERYONE loved them.

Some of you people should have grown up during the attitude. The pops that Cena and Orton get are nice, very loud ovations.

But to try to compare that to anything Austin or The Rock had is complete bullshit.

Once Cena and Orton start talking the crowd dies down and "listens"

During Rocky and Austin promo's the crowd would be on the verge of riot and the excitement could not be contained.

I bought the new wwe DVD about the legends and their pops weren't bigger than cenas or orton's , and they hated hogan all I seen was " hogan suck " signs .. stone cold had some pretty good pops but I compared them to cena and some of orton pops and they're like the same sooo... so being biased to certain wrestlers people.

what DVD are you talking about, because i can come up with plenty of video footage of Rock getting WAY bigger pop's then Cena... and no heat from the crowd in the middle of his match either. same with Austin too

okay RKO, i'll give you one of Rocks, and keep in mind this was a WEAK one even, but you watch this and tell me when the last time the crowd got this behind a Cena promo? when they would break out in a chant of Cena's name in the middle of it.

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c1Vs1AUmmOw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c1Vs1AUmmOw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

i think Orton is at the same level as the Rock

he has the same level of entertainment factor in my opinion and plus Orton is a company man unlike the Rock.. so in a way Orton has surpassed him too

okay Cena mark.. i gave a Rock video a few posts ago, now give one example of Orton cutting a more entertaining one? one that the crowd got behind just as much?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back