• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will CM Punk ever go back to the voice of the voiceless?

I am Mr. Excitement

Occasional Pre-Show
This to me is a good question so, I will ask all of you as well. Do you think that CM Punk will ever be the rebelious type again? and when I mean rebelious I mean CM Punk during last summer before and after Money In The Bank. Some say theres no reason for him to return to that type of character because he has all he wants now. He got a push, has been holding the WWE title for how long? and is now 1 of the top 2 faces in the business because of what he's legitamitley done to the WWE in the last year. But last time I checked the ratings were sky high during the MITB-Summerslam weeks on Raw. Punk created a buzz and he can do it again. But in a different way.

How could CM Punk become the rebelious type again in WWE? and how would he create another pipe bombing buzz?, you book it.

Opinions, thoughts, discuss....

I think you may be hoping for something that will never happen. Last year, CM Punk did a scripted promo that the IWC really enjoyed because it broke Kayfabe. The IWC believes that a large Buzz was created. But in reality- not much of buzz ensued and rating remained the same. CM Punk cant go back to that- because he would have to admit that he is a mid-carder who is carrying the belt because Cena was busy with Rock and there are no other worthy contenders. CM Punk does not draw- and he does not create mainstream buzz.

But last time I checked the ratings were sky high during the MITB-Summerslam weeks on Raw.

:lol:

The day Punk did the shoot promo RAW got a 2.9 rating and the ratings remained the same for many weeks.

And the RAW after TLC in which CM Punk , Daniel Bryan and Zack Ryder main-evented got a 2.7 rating. Hence WWE keeps CM Punk out of main-events.

Proves not many care about CM Punk.

Also I don't get what makes people so excited about CM Punk's promo. Did it really change anything other than making CM Punk ... John Cena 2.0 ?

Yeah Punk's promo really didn't create that muc of a buzz at all, apart from the "smarter" wrestling fans.

I enjoyed CM Punk's rebellious side and while I would love for him to be edgy like that and drop his pipe bombs, there's no reason for it. There is nothing for him to stand up against and there's no point in just making him rebel for the sake of rebelling.

:lol:

The day Punk did the shoot promo RAW got a 2.9 rating and the ratings remained the same for many weeks.

And the RAW after TLC in which CM Punk , Daniel Bryan and Zack Ryder main-evented got a 2.7 rating. Hence WWE keeps CM Punk out of main-events.

Proves not many care about CM Punk.

Also I don't get what makes people so excited about CM Punk's promo. Did it really change anything other than making CM Punk ... John Cena 2.0 ?

* Well actually, when Punk did the promo shoot, RAW received a 3.13 Rating.
The week later was 4th of July which drew a 2.4, which is not unusual for the holiday. (In 2005 on 4th of July, RAW drew 2.6 in a year they drew an average of 3.8)
The week later, was a 2.9, which is relatively low.

* In the 4 weeks between MitB and SS, RAW drew ratings of 3.23, 3.21, 3.31 & 3.09

* And the night after TLC, with Bryan, Ryder and Punk in the main event, RAW actually drew a 2.9 and then a 2.93 the week later which is not unusual a week before/after Christmas. (only once since 1998 in the week before and week after Christmas have the average ratings over those two weeks been more then the yearly average.)

So if you're going to use ratings to help support your 'argument', get the facts right pal.

* Well actually, when Punk did the promo shoot, RAW received a 3.13 Rating.
The week later was 4th of July which drew a 2.4, which is not unusual for the holiday. (In 2005 on 4th of July, RAW drew 2.6 in a year they drew an average of 3.8)
The week later, was a 2.9, which is relatively low.

* In the 4 weeks between MitB and SS, RAW drew ratings of 3.23, 3.21, 3.31 & 3.09

* And the night after TLC, with Bryan, Ryder and Punk in the main event, RAW actually drew a 2.9 and then a 2.93 the week later which is not unusual a week before/after Christmas. (only once since 1998 in the week before and week after Christmas have the average ratings over those two weeks been more then the yearly average.)

So if you're going to use ratings to help support your 'argument', get the facts right pal.

The ratings you mentioned are the whole show ratings , the ratings I mentioned are of the segments and matches involving CM Punk.

The RAW after TLC did drew 2.9 but the main-event, the tag match involving CM Punk,Daniel Bryan and Zack Ryder drew 2.6 ratings, lowest since 1997.

Source : http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/247049-report-cm-punk-in-danger-of-losing-title-due-to-poor-ratings

It was never about being the voice of the voiceless it was about becoming the top guy, the guy that gets promoted, that gets to promote on other tv shows, to be on merchandise etc. That was the point of the promo, CM Punk the character wanted to be noticed, to be the top guy. What did CM Punk the character get out of that promo? He is now the champion, the top guy and has been for nearly a year now.

Did it really change anything other than making CM Punk ... John Cena 2.0 ?

If you listen to the promo carefully you'd realize that is exactly what CM Punk the character wanted, to be the top guy of the company. Now that of course isn't possible with Cena existing, Rock/Brock being around and HHH holding on by a thread but he did manage to take the #2 regular spot which is a pretty admirable feat though at this point there isn't much competition for it.

The ratings you mentioned are the whole show ratings , the ratings I mentioned are of the segments and matches involving CM Punk.

The RAW after TLC did drew 2.9 but the main-event, the tag match involving CM Punk,Daniel Bryan and Zack Ryder drew 2.6 ratings, lowest since 1997.

Source : http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/247049-report-cm-punk-in-danger-of-losing-title-due-to-poor-ratings

Dude it was a big thing, punks promo came basically created a main event star out of punk, did it get mainstream attention, of course not. Name me one thing John Cena has done in one night to get mainstream attention. Nothing. it took him time to build as the face of the wwe.

Back to the OP's question of will Punk ever become that rebellious character. I would like to think yes, i hope he does because this pandering to the crowd stuff that he's doing lately is just not him, but you never know. I have a theory that maybe Vince didnt really believe that Punk could capture the imagination of the casual crowd after his shoot promo. This could be Punk proving to Vince that he can. But either way i just dont like how Punks character has changed. He needs to get some of that rebellious nature about him back. Problem is i dont really know what else he can do to get it back. A feud with Cena could help, and i think they sort of hinted at something at this weeks RAW where Punk was telling Cena to follow his lead.

He can only be rebellious if he has an authority figure to shout about. Say the new G.M is somebody that hates Punk, always puts him in tough matches, tries to strip him of his title etc THEN he can do the same stuff he did with Johnny (but not in the same way obviously)

The thing is, you can only say so many "shocking" things before it becomes commonplace. I mean if CM Punk came out every week and said something we thought was "shocking" the first week, it'd get stale. I loved that storyline personally, but I don't find there a need to rehash it now that Punk is on top. That promo was about getting Punk noticed by everyone, and that goal was achieved. Now I think we should be looking forward instead of looking in the past.

I doubt this will happen. Because it doesn't make sense for CM Punk to campaign for change[which was what his shoot promos were about, bringing about change to WWE] and then when it begins to change, rebelling again. Things are starting to change in WWE since Punk's "pipebomb" promos. He's the main event and WWE Champion. Guys like Daniel Bryan are being used in the main events and others that didn't get airtime before[like Zack Ryder] are now on tv quite frequently.

These "pipebombs" are best used on a rare basis when they actually have meaning as opposed to every week with no meaning.

Funny how some are saying the promo did not get mainstream attention, where were you guys? ESPN was all over the story, Twitter blew up when it happen & even TMZ covered the angle. Punk was even on Jimmy Kimmel

Punk got exactly what he wanted from the promo, he has been one of the longest reigning champions in the history of the WWE, he is 2nd only to Cena, guys like Bryan, Ryder & AJ who were not given the time a day are some of the most popular now. Punk even has full input in his storylines & even got to pick his own theme music.

Why would he be rebelious right now?? What does he have to be rebelious about? When he was ranting from the heart every night, he had things to rant about.
-Someone didn't want him to be Champion .
- Ass kissers are the only ones who get shots (Cena, Rock)
- Good talent was getting underused (Daniel Bryan, Zack Ryder)

Look where we are right now, he has nothing to be rebelious about. There is no GM to piss him off right now. The only thing left on his list that he wants is The WWE Ice Cream Bars.
Punk is the WWE Champion, which means they are giving him the ball to run with and he has been for a while now. Why complain when every time there is a WWE Title match, we are getting some of the best matches.

Why the HELL Is anyone blaming CM Punk for low ratings???????????? Anyone who says he's not a draw is a moron as he gets a stronger POSITIVE (if boos counted then Cena wins hands down) reaction then Cena. Hell even DB has a huge reaction that on some days dwarfs Cena's positive chants.

First of all it's not like Punk has main evented a thing since he and Cena's feud came to an end. CENA main events everything from RAW to PPVs. So if ANYONE ONE WRESTLER is responsible for low ratings it would be Cena and the fans sick of Super Cena. WWE has NEVER let Punk or any other wrestler main event.

Second of all they dropped the ball with then voice of the voiceless and Punk. They needed a new gimmick for Cena and have given him a watered-down version of what Punk started. So will he go back NO.

I think he will if the apparent feud with John Cena takes place.

Punk talks about this whole "change" thing. He says he wants to change the WWE and make it the company that it should be. These changes are mentioned in his promos from last summer and after he beat ADR at Survivor Series.

None of these changes have happened except from the right people as the champions. Punk said his change will go on for another 10 yrs, 5 of those yrs he will be a wrestler while the second half of that change period, he said he will stop wrestling but stay with the company.

Yes the "right" ppl are champions but the correct people are not in the spotlight. He said he wants to be the face of the company but Cena is doing more major things. He wants to be promoted a lot more and a true leader but none of that is working because the legends & Cena are more over than him.

So during his feud with Cena or at a time he realises the change will not be getting anywhere, he could start his pipe bombs again and maybe his change would start working if he is even more serious and keeps on doing those shoots until Vince McMahon and the Board Of Directors start listening to him.

I think that could be a time he will start those epic speeches again and I think that will happen as well as his change.

Punk's rebellious character stemmed from his real life frustrations with WWE that he wasn't one of the top guys. Well now he is one of the top guys, so there's no reason to rebel. The only way that character could come back is if Punk drops the belt, and then goes back to the mid card for another 5 years, which isn't going to happen.

As for the arguments on Punk's ability (or in-ability) to draw ratings, well who does now? Can't remember Orton or Cena doing it for a few years now. The reality is the mainstream simply isn't interested in wrestling anymore. Back in the 80's WWF was something new, so it became a big deal. Then in the late 90's the attitude era was something new again in wrestling, so it became an even bigger deal. These day's there's not a lot more you can do with wrestling as a product, so people lose interest. It happens all the time in entertainment. Just think how many changes music has gone through over the years. The fact WWE even is what it is today is pretty incredible.

He may go back to being the voice of the voiceless if he ever gets pushed back down the card again.

But since that is not likely anytime soon, then... no. He has no reason to be the voice of the voiceless because he has everything he wants.

The thing I am suprised/dissapointed in is that he said he wanted to change wrestling, make it 'cool' again and I think he even talked about changing the WWE title belt. Well, obviously that is more controlled by Vince and the writers but CM Punk should have beena been able to lobby for those changes already since he's been the WWE champ for so long.

He hasn't really changed wrestling, he's just doing what he always has but now he's the 'top guy'. To be fair it may be impossible to ever make wrestling 'cool' again for as massive as an audience as it used to be but I think there are things they could do to make the shows more interesting but alas, I'll have to save these points for another discussion.

He can't do it as long as he's champion. He can do it if he's chasing the title. If they are planning on turning him heel again, then that could be his persona but I don't know how long that would last before the fans started cheering for him again.

No chance of that happening

Because that version of the character, that lasted what..2-3 weeks? Was all about a certain section of the WWE saying what they have been thinking for the past 10 years. They wont allow a character like that again, it was just used to put Punk over, he is now a cartoony character again.

Just look at the Raw where Vince "returned" recently, he was put over all the time, he brought cops so Big Johnny would have their protection etc.

Its all about making the family and the power players looking strong, Taker, Hunter (who will no doubt beat Lesnar) and the McMahons.

The one thing you should take away from it all is that, a guy became a bigger star because he trashed Vince, Stephanie and Hunter on live television, he actually got over because he took a dump on them on national TV.

Punk is a neutered character now, molded by WWE to be one of the top faces of the company.

Why is everyone answering this as if somehow this was real life? Punk did a semi-shoot promo because he was ALLOWED to. It was an ANGLE. He's a CONTRACTED performer of wwe. Yes, his contract was running out but the angle doesn't happen if he wasn't a lock to re-sign (or already re-signed). The "E" was controlling the information from the word "go" - one step ahead of all the IWC.

Why in the H3LL would a company base the character of its top star on bashing its own product? That was an attention-grabber and from here out Punk will be Punk, which people like, but he's WWE Superstar CM Punk, not some "outsider." Only the smarks refuse to accept/understand that.

Like others said, Punk's famous pipe bomb promo served its purpose. There is no need for forced shoot promos. And even though many of us older fans don't like it, the majority of WWE fans are kids, so the top guys (like Punk) have to be usually used to send them home happy. He won't be "edgy" again until he turns. Punk isn't the megastar that people hoped he would be, but blaming the ratings on him isn't fair. Cena is still the main event guy and the ratings aren't through the roof now either. The only real big draws in wrestling today are the novelty acts like Rock/Taker/Brock/HHH. And with on-demand video being as big as it is today, ratings will never be as high as they used to be.

Simplest Answer Ever: NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CM Punk: Got His "Million Dollar" contract, his Mania "Main Event" win, his multiple WWE titles(& First Undisputed WWE Champion in a decade, since Lesnar), is a top WWE superstar, has ALOT more say in the company & all his roles, has his DVD coming out w/his imput & can go on-air and even market his friends & hero's.

WWE & Vince: Made the only TRUE top tier babyface since Cena, are making MILLIONS off of CM Punk merch, have a second top star to headline shows or represent the company elsewhere, they are capitalizing on one of the best wrestlers in WWE since Angle, & have created another legacy for another star.

Everything that made the CM Punk of old great was all his frustrations with Vince and the WWE because they are basically all the same exact frustrations except from an employee stand point. Not to mention his voicing of common IWC opinions like Macho Man should be in the HOF & Stone Cold should come back and face Punk at Mania.

Until Punk leaves WWE, we will not see him shoot on Vince or WWE and be "The Voice of the Voicless."

Simple anwser is NO. now here is why

CM Punk is a Punk. He decided to buck the system and be the poor mans stone cold and guess what liek sheep the fan bought the crap and swallowed is whole. CM punk used the Stone cold effect to darg the fans into he voice of the voiceless crap. Now he has made it to the top with his actions, he had his title match he has been given a huge push by the WWE to see if Punk can become what he THINKS the WWE wants to see. However to be original and to punk are two different things. Punk went from I am SCSA and fight the power ( Vs WWE) to I am Straight edge mr. No drugs or alcohol man ( vs Jericho) and now he is in a 3 way with AJ and Bryan. Are any of those things first timers...NO. They are what punk has been doing for years all over the Indy scenes and ECW. Now he has a chance to do it as the world champ and guess what, He still can't catch Cena. ( it pains me to say I hate cena, I hoped he could topple the man) Now that CM punk is getting everything he wants and has proven he can wrestle and cut promo. Even to the point where when it was a tag match Cena came out last why...more draw sorry Punk you have let the world down.

For Punk to be the voice of the voiceless he needs to make things happen in the WWE getting 2 Indy wrestlers to fight PPV after PPV is new sure but is it good? In my opinion not at all. Yes the ring skills are amazing and the matches that put on are great, but to be honest Cena V Punk and Now Bryan V Punk are the only feuds I have watched. Cena v Punk for the desire to see Cena fall and Bryan V Punk is all because of AJ. ( yeah I dig crazy chicks too) Once this feud ends and it goes to Cena V Punk again I will watch just to see what happens to punk when he is knocked off his horse and see if he can recover. What sucks is Cena being the top guy.

It just wouldn't make much sense characterwise. He has most of what he wanted. Yeah he didn't get those ice cream bars but really just how much mileage would you get out of a man campaigning for those? Maybe when he loses the belt he can go back complaining that he got screwed or that whoever beat him is unworthy.

To answer the question posed in the topic a different way: Should he go back? Maybe. Will he? No.

See, the problem I have with Punk is that for me personally, he hasn't had very many interesting personas, especially in the last few years. His run as the head of the SES was an abysmal and dull failure, as was his run as the head of the new nexus.

When he became this anti-establishment rebel, he was finally interesting. Not because of the "rebel", we've seen others play that role before, but because he seemed interesting and passionate about the role he was taking on. He seemed to have a spark of life and actually enjoyed himself.

Once that passed, he became boring again and he really doesn't seem to be enjoying himself anymore when he's doing promos. He genuinely seems bored almost every time he has the microphone now and it's a shame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back