Wikipedia can still be accessed

Pepe Silvia

Occasional Pre-Show
The SOPA blackout image is a layover, as soon as your page loads press the escape button to prevent it from blocking the page

You'll probably have to manually enter a title though, which is httpp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/pagename

Not sure if this will be useful to anyone but idfk i'm high and life's good n shit

Ok now it's getting annoying. I get that SOPA is bad. Now quit shutting me down when I try to find something.

Just use the mobile version of Wiki's site.

i.e. if you wanted to go to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWE, instead you'd type en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWE.

You're welcome.

Just use the mobile version of Wiki's site.

i.e. if you wanted to go to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWE, instead you'd type en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWE.

You're welcome.
Why does everything you post and that sig fit so well together? It's like you know you're better than us and rubbing it in.

Reactions: X
So could somebody please explain this sopa thing to me? a short version. is this like when the Australian government tried to ban access to sites like 4chan?

So could somebody please explain this sopa thing to me? a short version. is this like when the Australian government tried to ban access to sites like 4chan?
Long story short, SOPA and/or PIPA will give the US government the right to make it impossible to access a certain URL when you type it in your web browser. Furthermore, the only thing they will use to decide whether a web site should be effectively blacklisted from the Internet is if a copyright claim is made. Finally, it also includes not just offending sites, but any site that links to the offending site. And the worst part is the website in question gets no prior notice before they are basically kicked off the Internet.

So, to give an example, let's say you have an educational research website you've been running for five years. You use a 30 second clip of a Hollywood movie to make a point in a research paper, which is legal under the fair use policies according to US law. However, the MPAA claims your 30 second clip violates copyright. You get no notice of this claim, you do not get to argue your clip is not in violation of law, and you are afforded no due process. The government takes the claim from the MPAA and removes your website address from domain name servers, which means when I type in "http://sparkyswebsite.com", I will no longer be able to access your website. Furthermore, legally, Google could also be removed from the domain name servers, because their search result linked to your completely legal website, which the MPAA falsely accused you of violating copyright.

This is a completely awful law, which is a gigantic leap to censor the Internet, prohibit free speech, and exists only to cater to people like the RIAA and MPAA, because they've been bribing politicians for years.

Reactions: X
Ok now it's getting annoying. I get that SOPA is bad. Now quit shutting me down when I try to find something.
That's the point. That is what can happen to the Internet if SOPA or PIPA pass. I've read that SOPA was shelved for the time being, but PIPA is still alive and well.

That's the point. That is what can happen to the Internet if SOPA or PIPA pass. I've read that SOPA was shelved for the time being, but PIPA is still alive and well.

I'm well aware of that, and I got it the first few times I saw it. I get what they're going for, but it's getting annoying when I need to look stuff up, and yes I get that that's the idea.

I think you'll see some version of it pass eventually, just not the "Death to the Internet" version being thrown out there now.

The White House won't support it. Also they said they'll be taking some stuff out of it, namely the DNS portion. Also considering you can't get the House and Senate to agree on what goes on a BLT, I'll believe this when I see it.

I think you'll see some version of it pass eventually, just not the "Death to the Internet" version being thrown out there now.
And I think that has been the plan all along. Shock people, get them to resist, let them feel victorious, pass similar legislation when they are no longer looking.

The White House won't support it. Also they said they'll be taking some stuff out of it, namely the DNS portion. Also considering you can't get the House and Senate to agree on what goes on a BLT, I'll believe this when I see it.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

The only thing worse in politics than people disagreeing is people agreeing.

And I think that has been the plan all along. Shock people, get them to resist, let them feel victorious, pass similar legislation when they are no longer looking.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

The only thing worse in politics than people disagreeing is people agreeing.

True, but these guys rarely agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back