Why, WWE, Why???

As far as piper or the Dream never winning the title.. thats cuz WWF didnt hand out titles like it were candy like they do now. you actually had to earn them back in their days, and when they were in WCW, if you were not NWO, or named flair, you didnt get one either.

the E brings these guys out from time to time, because they are on the production staff, are you saying you would rather see "Big Dick Johnson" ? because i wouldnt.. i think its nice to see some of my old fav guys come out, no one and i mean NO one could cut a promo like Piper could in the 80's. and as far as I.R.S well with the A-team thing, that was pretty funny actually haha, but for the appearance the other week on RAW, it makes sence, why bring out guys who have never wrestled him, just cuz the kids know them? no. you bring out his actual friends, the ones he worked with all those years, not only does it give us a chance to see some people we aint seen in years (wow malinko got chubbier!) but also when kids turn to their parents and ask "who's that" they get an education on some history there, and the guys who shaped the industry, so their heroes could be here today.

There is nothing wrong with Piper or The Dream appearing on WWE TV occasionally. Those are 2 of the guys who paved the ways for the stars of today. They are quite rightly respected and cheered by the adults in the audience who greatly appreciate what they have done for the business.

Now, although the WWE is PG and aimed more at children, many will still watch the show with their parents, who are long term fans. Seeing some of their old heroes making a guest appearance is great for the adult fans, as it shows the WWE hasnt forgotten about them.

For the wrestlers themselves, many of them will have grown up watching guys like Piper and Dusty, so simply being in the same ring as them will be a thrill, and a lifetime goal achieved. As long as the legends have something to teach the young guys (e.g. promo's, selling etc) and arent obsessed with hogging the spotlight (ala Hogan) then im perfectly happy for them to make an occasional surprise appearance, boosting the credibility of a young star and giving the adult audience a nice surprise

Santino & Chavo aren't even in the same league as Rhoades of Piper partner. That's just the honest to goodness truth. I can't believe you would even attempt to put that out there like that. Really honestly should think about what you are writing before you push the "Post" button my friend.

Well Rhodes and Piper are both Hall of Famers, which I'm pretty sure Santino and Chavo won't ever be. Rhodes was incredibly popular at one time, and Piper put WrestleMania on the map with Hogan. But honestly Chavo is better in the ring than either of them. So sad how he's been used lately.

I don't mind the little cameo appearances they have from time to time. Showing up for a cup of coffee and a cheap pop and then go on their way. Its a nice little reminder. Although I am not fond when they stay for an extended period of time.

But I have no problem with them showing up, getting their catch phrases out, letting me mark out like a little girl and then leaving.

It makes me smile.

I bet you all thought I left this alone due to some feeling of "defeat", right? Come on... you people don't know me at all, do you?

So, now that ALL of my vacation is over, it's time to nail the coffin shut.

As a former WWE employee (who was there when all this was decided on!)

First off, am I really supposed to believe this? You think you're the first to come onto this site and pose as a former or current WWE employee? And regardless, even if you were, that doesn't mean you had dick to do with anything going on behind the scenes, in the storylines, with the television production... Hell, for all we know, you could've been the marketing manager of the ice cream pops division.

Save this garbage for some other forum. We're too smart for that here.

it really makes no sense for me to continue on debating with a kid who has no idea what happened behind the scenes other than what he reads as second/third and sometimes fourth hand information on websites.

I love how when posters on this site get pummeled in a debate against me, then automatically think I'm some "kid" who only reads internet jargon. Ask around about me... I'm obviously not what you think. And unlike your resume, mine's been proven. Hence, the respect I get. And what gives even more validity to that statement is the fact that unlike you, I don't need to pull the "resume card" out to prove my points. Facts > Dogshit. That's why you're losing here.

Especially when he is completely unaware of a lot of important events of this topic.

Enlighten me... PLEASE. I'm still waiting for you to come up with any VALID points on this subject. All you keep spitting is how "this happened" and "that happened". However, you have no proof, no witnesses, and nothing that even remotely constitutes an argument that can be used to your advantage here.

On the other hand, my reports and facts have been proven time and time again. You're the only person sitting in your chair with the views that you've been spitting. You have no backup and, quite frankly, no intelligence in this. All you have is resorting to bullshit claims that you worked for the WWE at one point in time. How does that prove anything? How does a probable janitor for the WWEShop.com offices make you an expert on anything? The WWE has THOUSANDS of employees working for them. Tons of rumors fly around offices in companies around the world. 85% of the stuff that flies around is bullshit. That is, if you actually held a job there at one point in time.

So it's time to leave it be D-Man. You are completely uninformed on these particular events.

Ah, I see. We "leave it" because you're run out of bullshit to back up your worthless dribble. How about I leave you with this...

Enjoy the warning I'm giving you since your most recent post is spam. You didn't even touch on any other points in the subject in your last post.

Aside from that, I'm dying to hear about these "important events" that went unmentioned. After all, I'm just a lonely nobody-type internet reader that had more FACTS about this subject in the snot-rag I just blew than you had in your entire debate.

These events you spoke of happened over a decade ago. Over that time, more and more of the story has been uncovered, key players have been interviewed, books have been written, WWE has made true-to-life videos, newspapers have reported on it, and I have pointed them all out. Bret Hart and the Warrior have had countless chances to redeem themselves for the disrespect they showed towards the WWE in the past. They spent years oin the defensive, and yet the WWE always reached out their hands with fists of money and offers to wipe the slate clean, yet they refused as a result of their bitterness. And now, we've reached a point where they got off their soap boxes and finally paid their dues for the mistakes they've made. All of this has been explained and all of us thought that no stones on this subject were left unturned. But a lonely internet-writer who claims that they worked for the WWE at some point in time has the inside scoop, right? Dude... get over yourself.

THIS^^

Even though the WWE wishes to appeal to the children in order to begin their building of a new generation of fans, they would be stupid to try and alienate their long-standing fans from over the years. Whether they like it or not, they have fans that have stuck around for anywhere between 15-30 years in watching their product. They need to keep as many fans as possible in order to keep the dollars flowing in.
Yes, I'm sure including Dusty and Roddy in an awful SNL skit to plug the equally awful A-Team film was markout city for the adults. I mean, it would have been childish without them. But those guys really tricked the thirty-somethings into enjoying what was otherwise transparent crap.

I don't buy that for a second. Sorry, D. Unless this is an outright concession that wrestling fans are morons, which I'll gladly accept without argument, I don't buy your explanation. You don't put out an overall unappealing show to a number of old school fans, and expect a two minute (awful) comedy bit with your standard old farts who shows up every other month for a pay-day to be the difference that keeps dollars flowing in. In no way do I see the move as one intended to keep old fans hooked.

In addition, the WWE is always about respect. If there's one thing that the WWE is big on, they respect their history and the men that paved the way for what they have now. By keeping these legends on television, it allows the newer audiences to always have respect for those that influenced the current and future superstars. The WWE knows that without them, the WWE wouldn't be anything like it is now.
Respect is an absurd party line that the WWE has branded as part of company lore. Fact is, guys who toe the company line get thrown a bone every now and then and get their moment of praise. It's just the business circling the wagons and protecting the guys who protect the image management wants to portray. In the political mine-field that is the WWE, where one has to step lightly lest they step on egg shells, where the chairman doesn't even know who is and isn't on the roster at times, "respect" is nothing more than a gimmick, something designed to make you buy more DVDs and so on.

That's all these segments are to me. The good old boys getting a pat on the back for keeping the company line strong while making the company sure these good boys' names are still out there so people will be interested in DVDs with their matches. Real respect isn't something I see as too much of an issue in a business as dirty as wrestling. And at the moment, keeping older fans doesn't seem to be an issue either.

Yes, I'm sure including Dusty and Roddy in an awful SNL skit to plug the equally awful A-Team film was markout city for the adults. I mean, it would have been childish without them. But those guys really tricked the thirty-somethings into enjoying what was otherwise transparent crap.

I don't buy that for a second. Sorry, D. Unless this is an outright concession that wrestling fans are morons, which I'll gladly accept without argument, I don't buy your explanation. You don't put out an overall unappealing show to a number of old school fans, and expect a two minute (awful) comedy bit with your standard old farts who shows up every other month for a pay-day to be the difference that keeps dollars flowing in. In no way do I see the move as one intended to keep old fans hooked.

And what would the WWE do to showcase them on television instead? Ask them to take off their shirts, revealing their portly bellies again and wrestle a 23-year-old stud, while risking injury? No. They utilize their notoriety and add a little color and flavor to the shows.

These legends no longer have the egos they once had. They understand their real places in the company now as road agents and management and have no need for the things they used to crave on television. The WWE does their best to keep these men on television so they'll always be remembered. If the fans see Dusty Rhodes in a funny (and borderline stupid and goofy) skit and are told that these men are legends, fans just need to turn on YouTube if they wish to see these men in a competitive nature. They have nothing left to prove and just the fact that the WWE is putting them on television speaks highly about the respect given to them.

Respect is an absurd party line that the WWE has branded as part of company lore. Fact is, guys who toe the company line get thrown a bone every now and then and get their moment of praise. It's just the business circling the wagons and protecting the guys who protect the image management wants to portray. In the political mine-field that is the WWE, where one has to step lightly lest they step on egg shells, where the chairman doesn't even know who is and isn't on the roster at times, "respect" is nothing more than a gimmick, something designed to make you buy more DVDs and so on.

Well, that's sure one negative way to think about it. But in the same sense, I can explain what the WWE is doing by repeating my paragraph above. I guess this is an argument of semantics that is in the eyes of the beholder. But unless either of us can prove otherwise, we'll agree to disagree.

That's all these segments are to me. The good old boys getting a pat on the back for keeping the company line strong while making the company sure these good boys' names are still out there so people will be interested in DVDs with their matches. Real respect isn't something I see as too much of an issue in a business as dirty as wrestling. And at the moment, keeping older fans doesn't seem to be an issue either.

Once again, what would you rather them do? If you were management then enlighten me by writing up a storyline for these legends.

Fact is that I believe that as long as they are completely happy with how they are used and placed on the show then who gives a shit? They seem plenty happy to me. And keeping them happy after all their blood, sweat, and tears in this business after they've been chewed up, spit out, used and abused in pro-wrestling over the years is a big sign of respect, if I've ever seen one.

Call me crazy, but I'd have them do something that doesn't resemble an awful SNL skit (second time I've said that... I should pump the brakes). Have them manage or mentor someone on screen, call out some young punk for his evil doings, have them commentate... something that vaguely resembles wrestling, rather than part of a plot to steal King's crown. I'd settle for something like then NXT attack a week or so ago, but with a little less of Michaels Hayes putting himself over. That'd be nice.

They get it right once in a while, but I think poor comedy is a waste of everyone's time. If the comedy were good, I might come around to it. But it's not, so I see plenty of other uses for them.

And yes, my views on "respect" are on the negative side of things. I'm very disillusioned with the business at the moment. Go post in my "Sell Me On Wrestling" thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back