Why The Curb Stomp and not the Punk Kick?

123NewChamp

Pre-Show Stalwart
Hello everyone, I have an interesting question.

I always asked this question, but it didn't really started getting to me until a few weeks ago during the ending of the Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins Match on Raw.

But anyway, due to concussion awareness, the WWE has decided to do away with Randy Orton's punt kick. But yet Seth Rollins finishing maneuver goes from a knee strike attack to a curb stomp where he uses his foot to foot to jam his opponent face into the mat. Now Dean Ambrose on raw a few week ago got curb stomped through a couple of cement bricks, and the Curb Stomp by itself is dangerous; And 10 times as much dangerous forcing someone's face through concrete slabs.

But the main focus of this thread is I want to know, do you think WWE should re-inforce the punt-kick or do away with it. Honestly I think WWE should be it back, it really showed the true sadistic nature of Randy Orton's Heel Side, and helps him garner even more heat. I have nothing against the Curb Stomp, but I think it's not right to enforce a move that can also cause concussions and a broken neck as well, and due to concussion awareness and the safety of the wretlers you ban the punt kick. If you gonna have one, why not have them both.

But anyway, it was something interesting that I wanted to ask and to get others opinion and insight on it. So what you think?

If you watch closely when Rollins does the Curb Stomp, there's barely any real pressure being applied with his right foot. Pretty much all of the impact is made by Rollins using his left foot to hit the mat while the opponent hits the mat simultaneously.

When it comes to Orton's Punt Kick, a part of Orton's foot does make some significant contact. The point of Orton's boot doesn't connect with his opponent's head, it's rather the flat of the top of his foot and part of his shin that generates the impact. Orton's usually moving at a pretty decent clip when delivering the Punt and I suppose Vince thought that there was too much impact being generated.

To be perfectly honest, I always thought Orton's Punt Kick looked weak exactly for the reasons I described. It's obvious that Orton's not hitting the guy with the toe of his boot, though I suppose it's possible some damage could still be done, but it just looks awkward. The Curb Stomp LOOKS like more visually impressive in my eyes, it just seems like a nastier, more mean spirited looking sort of move but, again, there's virtually no impact being generated by Rollins' right leg & foot. It strikes me as "degrading" in that you're using it do just drive a person's head & face into the ground.

This is one of those questions where I chalk the answer up to "because reasons". Not because I can't think of one, but because, like you said, it doesn't make too much sense when you think of it.

Maybe WWE doesn't want fans to somehow confuse the two moves and make Rollin's finisher seem special since he's an up-and-comer. Maybe they think the Punt is too violent-looking for PG and that Seth using his jackhammer foot to crush a man's skull through concrete blocks is rainbows and butterflies by comparison. Both reasons are rather dumb, but so is WWE's reasoning a lot of the time so I could very well be spot on with my guesses. Maybe the move really is safer than the Punt, though I can't imagine by much. I'm not a wrestler, so what do I know?

As for the Punt, I'd love to see it come back. However, it should be used ONLY to write off a wrestler that's either leaving or taking time off because of an injury. That way, it always looks like Orton's ultimate weapon that he only whips out during special occasions - his Spirit Bomb, if you will (except that one time Cena was punted yet was okay minutes later. Guess he was Frieza).

Personally, the real question is why Blackout or Piece of Mind haven't stuck as names for the move. Curb Stomp is too generic-sounding for me, but I digress.

I like the name for that reason...

I'm with you actually. I have to think Creative has no clue what the origins of a "curb stomp" are or the move would have a different name.

As for the original post, the same thing has crossed my mind. Kicking a guys head down against the mat or CINDERBLOCKS vs. kicking a guy's head while he's kneeling? Not sure what makes one acceptable and the other unacceptable.

I'm with you actually. I have to think Creative has no clue what the origins of a "curb stomp" are or the move would have a different name.

As for the original post, the same thing has crossed my mind. Kicking a guys head down against the mat or CINDERBLOCKS vs. kicking a guy's head while he's kneeling? Not sure what makes one acceptable and the other unacceptable.
the origin of the curb stomp is no worse than any other choke hold or strike. It isnt anything racist, in fact it was mostly used by gangsters to rival gang members. I don't think its anything bad really.

Punt kick is dangerous because the receiving wrestler is completely defenseless with another wrestler running at them to kick them in the head. Contact has to be made to make it look real. So every time the move is performed, a wrestler is receiving a legit blow to the head no matter the severity.

The curb stomp is completely "fake" and is 100% on the receiving wrestler to sell it. Rollins puts zero pressure on his opponent. Its pretty much just a guy falling forward. Honestly, this is probably one of the safest moves to perform.

First of all, those were not real cinder blocks (cement bricks).

In wrestling, the rules have always been no closed fists, no kicks to the back of the head, no kicks to the side of the head, although WWE always gives a little leeway here and there. The Punt is a kick to the side of the head. Though Randy Orton always faked it, there's always the risks involved if it goes side ways. The Curb Stomp is planting the face (or head) into the mat. I honestly don't believe that there's no pressure at all to the back of the head or neck, but given the distance from the mat, and impact to the mat, I see no reason why it's illegal, or should be banned.

As for the Punt, I'd love to see it come back. However, it should be used ONLY to write off a wrestler that's either leaving or taking time off because of an injury. That way, it always looks like Orton's ultimate weapon that he only whips out during special occasions - his Spirit Bomb, if you will (except that one time Cena was punted yet was okay minutes later. Guess he was Frieza).

Personally, the real question is why Blackout or Piece of Mind haven't stuck as names for the move. Curb Stomp is too generic-sounding for me, but I digress.

Yeah, Spirit Bomb was really special, that's why he used it against every big opponent (Vegeta, Frieza, Cell (I think), and Majin Buu, not to mention in just about every movie) but I digress as well. I like the names you came up with for his finisher, though. As for why they allow the Curb Stomp instead of the Punt Kick, I think it's because the punt is more dangerous and with more potential to cause concussion. Not to mention that if he does actually make contact, it's not easy to hit it just right to avoid any real damage done.

The Punt is a cool idea on paper, but in reality Orton has to put so little force into it to be on the safe side that it ends up looking terrible. The last time he did it was against Big Show at Survivor Series and man did it look weak. Yet you can't really blame him since in order for it to look good he actually has to put a decent amount of force into it which naturally comes with greater risk. That and they seem to be a lot more weary of concussions than back when Orton was actively punting people.

Punt kick is dangerous because the receiving wrestler is completely defenseless with another wrestler running at them to kick them in the head. Contact has to be made to make it look real. So every time the move is performed, a wrestler is receiving a legit blow to the head no matter the severity.

From what I think I've been seeing the last few times he's used it, Orton makes contact with the side of his shin (the soft part, not the bone), reducing the risk. Of course, there's still risk, because I highly doubt he (or anyone else) has such precision over their running kicks, especially with the side of the shin, but it's not as high as one would think.

In the same way, it'd seem many times Rollins doesn't even put his foot on the other guy's head, he puts it on the shoulder, or even misses the head on one side or on the top.

Regardless, I see the issue more about the image than the actual risk - as in, if they're supposed to be PG, how do they justify kicking someone's head off, or stomping it to the ground, while they're down and defenseless? If they don't do kicks to the back/sides of the head (why are there so many enzuigiris and variations, then?), Punts or Stomps should be out of the question, if you ask me.

Does anyone remember when Orton punted Cena's Dad? That's the only time I remember thinking "Wow, Orton actually kicked the shit out of him."

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back