Remakes of Classic Angles

gasM

Occasional Pre-Show
I’ll probably get slated here for this – “If you want to relive the glory days, why don’t you subscribe to the Network for 9.99?” (I will if it launches here in the UK) – but in a society saturated with reboots and remakes, it’s interesting to think of classic WWE moments recreated in the modern era.

What kicked this off was watching Mankind’s first WWF title victory on Raw again recently. I tried picturing it with current superstars and it came out awesome! Seth Rollins took The Rock’s role the Corporate champion while Dean Ambrose took the Mick Foley role as the unconventional, underdog challenger, with Triple H taking the evil boss Vince role at ringside, and Kane and J and J security as the Stooges. Imagine Ambrose out for vengeance on Rollins in a No DQ title match, but with the numbers game against him as Triple H vows to never allow the Lunatic Fringe to become the face of his company. Battered and beaten, Ambrose gets nailed with a Curb Stomp, but miraculously kicks out at two. Rollins calls for a chair from Kane and prepares a Curb Stomp onto the chair as Ambrose can barely stand. All hope seems lost when, in the role of Stone Cold, Roman Reigns’ music hits and he comes hurtling over the barricade. Spears for Mercury and Noble and a Superman Punch for Kane as the crowd comes unglued. Rollins looks on in horror, giving Ambrose time to recover and deliver Dirty Deeds onto the chair. Three seconds later, Dean Ambrose is your WWE World Heavyweight Champion against all odds, his mortal enemy vanquished and his former Shield brother looking on in grim satisfaction.

So if that did anything for you, try and think of other classic angles that would be worth re-interpreting with the current roster. What angles? Who takes the original roles? How faithful does it stay to the original? Have fun.

Alright so this angle starts with a one night tournament at WrestleMania to crown a World Champion. In the finals, it's Daniel Bryan vs. Seth Rollins w/Triple H in his corner. During the match, Triple H tries to get involved, but Roman Reigns comes out to even the playing field and Daniel Bryan wins the Title. Reigns hands Bryan the Title and Bryan celebrates in the ring with his wife Brie to close the show.

Following WrestleMania, Bryan and Reigns form a tag-team. At SummerSlam, they take on Rollins and Triple H. Bryan and Reigns win, and continue they're dominance throughout the year. However, tension begins to arise when Roman Reigns asks Bryan's wife and manager Brie Bella to accompany him to the ring for his matches, and Bryan starts to get jealous. During a one of their tag-team matches Brie gets hurt and Reigns carries her to the back. This causes Bryan to snap and he attacks Reigns, setting the stage for a World Title match between Reigns and Bryan at the next WrestleMania, with Brie Bella in a neutral corner.

Obviously not as good as the actual Mega Powers angle, but fuck it.

Bret Hart (John Cena) vs. Austin (Cesaro) in a submission match.

Good guy Cena applies the STFU on Cesaro who is split open and bleeding all over the canvas. After 1 minute of Cena submission move Cesaro passes due to the blood loss but gains the fans respect and the next night gets a great standing ovation.

I'm of the belief that there's no need to relive the past in future booking. No need to recycle complete story lines, but recycle ideas. Is anything truly original anymore? Not really. Most stuff is just a different way of doing something we've seen before. And we see it all the time.

No angle should ever be "remade", but elements of classic angles should be taken and used to create a new angle. One idea is give Cena the title again. No, he doesn't need it. But he can be the Hogan to Roman Reign's Ultimate Warrior. Passing of the torch, new champ at WrestleMania. Same idea, just come up with a new idea to tell a different story. One difference could Roman Reigns doesn't disappear a year and a half later and Cena doesn't keep winning titles. And they don't have a crappy rematch in some other company eight and a half years later. But you all get the point.

This isn't a WWE angle, it's an ECW one and I just posted this yesterday in the Dean Ambrose vs. Bray Wyatt Survivor Series thread but I could easily see Ambrose vs. Wyatt as the next Tommy Dreamer vs. Raven rivalry. Bray would take the role of Raven, Ambrose the role of Dreamer, and Sister Abigail can be Beaulah except she wouldn't be either man's girlfriend and she wouldn't appear on TV, it would just turn out that Ambrose and Wyatt knew each other during their childhood and Sister Abigail played a part in their past. This would be the secret that Wyatt knows about Ambrose and has been teasing for the last week. The two men would feud on and off for years to come, I don't think anyone wants to see Bray defeat Ambrose every time they face off and Ambrose finally pick up a victory over Bray after two years, but they would recreate the intensity, the hate, the emotions, the twists, and the turns the Raven/Tommy Dreamer story had. If any two guys can make it work, it's Ambrose and Wyatt, they're just as crazy and as talented as Raven and Dreamer were.

Remakes are never as good as the original. Comparing the Rock and Mankind to Ambrose and Rollins will never do it for me, A bit like comparing a 5 star meal in a top restaurant to a pile of dog excrement.

Remakes are never as good as the original. Comparing the Rock and Mankind to Ambrose and Rollins will never do it for me, A bit like comparing a 5 star meal in a top restaurant to a pile of dog excrement.

True. Yeah that's a big problem with what's wrong with the WWE today. Some fans expect them to replicate the past but they just need to continue to evolve. The world title was valued more back then than what it is now.

When Roman Reigns returns, he should fall in love with a mop.

Hideo Itami should run around NXT threatening to choppy-choppy all the pee-pees.

Seth should remind Dean of his dead girlfriend before revealing a video of Rollins mockingly made up as Ambrose simulating intercourse with a corpse (intercorpse, if you will).

There is no need reinventing the wheel. We have all the angles we need.

I actually dig this idea. If done tactfully and without verbatim rip-offs then it would be very interesting to see some classic angles revisited with modern wrestlers. I especially love the Bray/Ambrose - Dreamer/Raven idea. I'm way too high to come up with a better example, but I'm sure there are countless others that would be awesome.

I don't think the OP was saying that the wwe should actually do these angles, I think it was just meant as a fun game to imagine the stars of today playing the roles from classic story lines of the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back