• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why Rusev losing the US Title at WM31 is a good thing

hollowpoint

The Greatest of the Universe!!
Now before you anti-Cena guys astart talking burial this and burial that, hear me out (or read the entire post). Rusev has dominated the mid major scene for about a year now taking down the likes of Big Show, Mark Henry, Jack Swagger, and even Cena once. He's maximized his stint as the anti U.S. Champion to the tee. Win or loss at WM31, he's proven he's a main player in the company and he's one of the top heels in the business today. that all being said, a loss at WM31 will not affect his status at all and the fact that it's a loss to one of the most decorated champions in the business, it gives him the push to the main event scene that a mid major champion should get. The fact that Cena wins the U.S. title (presuming what I believe comes true) does nothing really for his character, but it shows that the company is trying to legitimize the mid major titles again. Your thoughts?

I respectfully disagree.

Listen, I'm not here to bash Cena at all. If anything, I really appreciate Cena and think that the WWE would be a lot less entertaining if he was to go away for any length of time. Like him or hate him, the WWE is a lot more interactive and interesting with him in the roster.

Still, I really think that Rusev needs this. Sure, he might lose to one of the most decorated Champions in the history of wrestling. But what does John Cena need with the United States Championship? He doesn't. Putting Rusev over is going to do the younger man a huge favour and give him a massive shot in the arm. If Rusev loses, he goes back to the start and has to start building again. And with the reports of the WWE Championship disappearing off screen with Lesnar after Mania, where exactly does Rusev go from there?

I get that elevating the Championship is important to the WWE right now but elevating superstars should be far more important to them. This is amongst the best chance they're going to get.

I can see it going either way, which is always good; if you're a fan, it's best to not know the result of a match in advance.

Cena could lose because the powers-that-be in WWE say he can.....as far as I'm concerned, when he lost the series to Brock Lesnar, all bets were off in the "Cena never loses" corner. Cena could also win because.....well, he's Cena and he's on a mission.

Rusev could win if they truly want him as a major player......but I agree with the OPs contention that he could lose and still be one, having already beaten Cena. But he could also lose because an American beating down the evil foreign power is a time-tested formula in pro wrestling...... and losing this fight would enable Rusev to possibly move his career in a direction away from the anti-American stuff, which would be a good move because he'll surely stagnate doing the same stuff forever. I think Rusev is good enough to withstand the loss and keep his career in high-gear.

People always try to use the argument that losing to Cena won't hurt someone's career despite the mountain of evidence that proves otherwise.

Cena should put over Rusev and let him keep dominating and restoring value t o the US title.

Cena has treated Rusev like a bitch since Fast Lane. Losing would be a nail in Rusev's headliner coffin.

I've also never understood why people think losing to Cena don't have any baring on his opponent. During a prolonged feud against Dena nobody comes out better than they went in.

People always try to use the argument that losing to Cena won't hurt someone's career despite the mountain of evidence that proves otherwise.

Cena should put over Rusev and let him keep dominating and restoring value t o the US title.
Oh yeah, name one that had their careers harmed in the fight with Cena and it wasn't their own fault or the fault of creative.
Cena has treated Rusev like a bitch since Fast Lane. Losing would be a nail in Rusev's headliner coffin.

I've also never understood why people think losing to Cena don't have any baring on his opponent. During a prolonged feud against Dena nobody comes out better than they went in.
Cena has rarely looked more vulnerable. Rusev got a clean heel pin on him at Fast Lane, wouldn't let him have the rematch for a few weeks, and only NOW has agreed to fight him. Rusev is mountains above Cena as far as victories go in this feud.

And there's not a single star you can point to that indicates that Cena was the fault that they didn't make it. Hell, everyone said that Cena buried Bray Wyatt, and that fat tub of goo is fighting the FUCKING UNDERTAKER at Wrestlemania. Not even John Cena has that feather in his cap. Get off of the nonsense that Cena hurts careers. He builds careers, it's just that creative or the stars can't handle it afterwards.

This is true. Guys like Bray Wyatt and Ryback looked like flies that Cena just swatted away during their feuds and I am pretty sure the same will happen to Rusev. Rusev got a cheap shot on Cena at Fast Lane, Cena got annoyed with it, shrugged it off and Cena will beat him at Wrestlemania looking like he went for a 10 minute jog after the match is over.

That's one of my biggest gripes about Cena. He never looks like he went to war after a match. Its always smiling and posing and looking like nothing happened which doesn't give his opponent a rub of any sort. It would have been a far different outcome if say during his last man standing match with Wyatt he barely got up at 9 then collapsed and had to crawl out but nope he put a box over Wyatt so he couldn't get out, laughed it off posed and went to the back.

Rusev losing is better for Rusev the character. These inane "streaks" only hinder when they go on too long.

Rusev losing to Cena in a hard fought match is good, he can always win the title back later gaining two wins over Cena.

Let's say Rusev wins, where does he go from here? Beating Cena twice should pretty much skyrocket him into the main event for the title but that won't happen, at least not immediately.

I can understand the concept of having someone else beat Rusev (Ambrose, Ryback or someone like that) and that's fine too.

Rusev needs to go over and retain the championship versus Cena. This will give him even more credibility in the casual fans' eyes and keep his undefeated streak. He has a great thing going right now and proves to be a dominant heel. This storyline should continue thru the spring and maybe summer.

The best candidates i see who can benefit off of dethroning Rusev later on is Cesaro, Ryback, or one of the standouts from NXT (Zayn, Neville, Owens, Balor) if they move up to the main roster anytime soon.

Cena doesn't need this win. He is already an established, main event, future hall of famer. Rusev cleanly beating a wrestler this caliber----this is how you create and build new stars, and elevates Rusev to the next level.

Oh yeah, name one that had their careers harmed in the fight with Cena and it wasn't their own fault or the fault of creative.

Cena has rarely looked more vulnerable. Rusev got a clean heel pin on him at Fast Lane, wouldn't let him have the rematch for a few weeks, and only NOW has agreed to fight him. Rusev is mountains above Cena as far as victories go in this feud.

And there's not a single star you can point to that indicates that Cena was the fault that they didn't make it. Hell, everyone said that Cena buried Bray Wyatt, and that fat tub of goo is fighting the FUCKING UNDERTAKER at Wrestlemania. Not even John Cena has that feather in his cap. Get off of the nonsense that Cena hurts careers. He builds careers, it's just that creative or the stars can't handle it afterwards.

It is not like I was blaming Cena for setting back other people, creative was part of the equation. But the truth is a lot of guys have been left to flounder after losing to Cena because creative doesn't know what to do with them coming off of that loss.

But thank god Cena has you here to defend him. By the way, Cena does not build stars, because he never loses feuds. Not Cena'Cena ' s fault, but Vince's. But that doesn't change the fact that Cena is the common denominator.

There is no way Cena isn't winning. He has been backed into a corner where his character has to come out on top. If he doesn't, him looking like a dick will be the lasting impression, not a Rusev win anyway.

Now before you anti-Cena guys astart talking burial this and burial that, hear me out (or read the entire post). Rusev has dominated the mid major scene for about a year now taking down the likes of Big Show, Mark Henry, Jack Swagger, and even Cena once. He's maximized his stint as the anti U.S. Champion to the tee. Win or loss at WM31, he's proven he's a main player in the company and he's one of the top heels in the business today. that all being said, a loss at WM31 will not affect his status at all and the fact that it's a loss to one of the most decorated champions in the business, it gives him the push to the main event scene that a mid major champion should get. The fact that Cena wins the U.S. title (presuming what I believe comes true) does nothing really for his character, but it shows that the company is trying to legitimize the mid major titles again. Your thoughts?

You didn't mention this but I think this may help Rusev IF they have long term plan for him.

We really didn't see Rusev chase the US title. If they choose to show Rusev chasing the title. This may be the best thing for him. If he was to beat Cena, he really couldn't grow, even if he chased the world title, same story, beat the same people all over again.

I can see it going either way, which is always good; if you're a fan, it's best to not know the result of a match in advance.

Cena could lose because the powers-that-be in WWE say he can.....as far as I'm concerned, when he lost the series to Brock Lesnar, all bets were off in the "Cena never loses" corner. Cena could also win because.....well, he's Cena and he's on a mission.

Rusev could win if they truly want him as a major player......but I agree with the OPs contention that he could lose and still be one, having already beaten Cena. But he could also lose because an American beating down the evil foreign power is a time-tested formula in pro wrestling...... and losing this fight would enable Rusev to possibly move his career in a direction away from the anti-American stuff, which would be a good move because he'll surely stagnate doing the same stuff forever. I think Rusev is good enough to withstand the loss and keep his career in high-gear.

This was my main point as to why losing would be a good thing. The same thing with the streak. It's dangerous because you don't want that to stick to your legacy (see Goldberg). The sooner he gets the loss on the record, the faster he can progress as both a character, and a main event player.

I'm not really sure how people believe Cena buried anyone, but maybe i'm blind. The examples seem to be Bray Wyatt and Ryback who are both on the WM31 card. Wade Barrett as well who is also on the card. I guess he's not the grim reaper as he's portrayed.

I'm a big fan of Rusev/Lana. They WORK. Cena has proven himself time and time again. I think working with Cena on the big stage is a huge accomplishment in and of itself.

That being said, of course I want to see Rusev go over. However, if Cena goes over, I would like to see it be a tainted victory. You know he (Cena's character) would not settle for a tainted victory, being the almighty do-gooder he is. I think creative has been teasing the fans, maybe giving them a little taste of a heel Cena. If creative accomplished anything in this build-up, it's gotten me to feel sorry for Rusev. He was beaten into a match when he didn't want it.

I know this is far-fetched, but I think a double turn would be sweet here. I have been saying for awhile now that I hope Brock retains, simply because I want some sort of confrontation between him and Rusev down the line.

Hopefully, if Cena wins at mania, Rusev isn't halted. He's a great worker. It would be a shame if they drop the ball on him.

Rusev has been booked as an unbeatable god, and they've fed everyone in the company to him, and he's STILL a meaningless nobody. He's never once been impressive in any of his feuds or matches. He's not horrible, he's just a mediocre big guy with nothing special about him. Jack Swagger should have beaten him at SummerSlam last year. That was the right time to end Rusev's undefeated streak. Now it's gone on so long that it just doesn't matter. If Cena wins, it doesn't mean anything because there's no reason John Cena SHOULDN'T be able to beat Rusev. If Rusev wins, it doesn't mean anything either, because he's already beaten Cena anyway, so why should we care?

Rusev has an undefeated streak so letting him lose to john semen is awful and meaningless we all know semen is selfish crybaby who wants to ruin Ric Flairs Legacy and go over him so he can be the 17 or 18 time champion but that is enough already
Rusev needs to win at WM31 to continue being billed the undefeated God as he has beaten everyone wwe threw at him. If Semen wins it means a lot cause he ll be defeated and ruined so wwe has to try not to go that route like WCW did with GOLDBERG We should care

Rusev has been booked as an unbeatable god, and they've fed everyone in the company to him, and he's STILL a meaningless nobody. He's never once been impressive in any of his feuds or matches. He's not horrible, he's just a mediocre big guy with nothing special about him. Jack Swagger should have beaten him at SummerSlam last year. That was the right time to end Rusev's undefeated streak. Now it's gone on so long that it just doesn't matter. If Cena wins, it doesn't mean anything because there's no reason John Cena SHOULDN'T be able to beat Rusev. If Rusev wins, it doesn't mean anything either, because he's already beaten Cena anyway, so why should we care?

Oh my gosh you are so clueless and ignorant he is UNDEFEATED MORON
IT makes an enormous difference! Gosh! look what happened to GOLDBERG in WCW wwe has to try not to repeat that mistake with RUSEV
We care except you and why should crybaby selfish me myself and I semen win ? So he can proclaim he defeated Flairs record? Geeez Hell no

This was my main point as to why losing would be a good thing. The same thing with the streak. It's dangerous because you don't want that to stick to your legacy (see Goldberg). The sooner he gets the loss on the record, the faster he can progress as both a character, and a main event player.

I'm not really sure how people believe Cena buried anyone, but maybe i'm blind. The examples seem to be Bray Wyatt and Ryback who are both on the WM31 card. Wade Barrett as well who is also on the card. I guess he's not the grim reaper as he's portrayed.

John Semen buried many wrestlers in the past Bray Wyatt (who needs to win WM31 this year to bounce back to that loss last year)Cryback, Wade barrett, Chris Jericho, Randy Orton etc Like I said previously wwe should not go that route WCW did when they buried GOLDBERG after his streak came to an end by NASH ! RUSEV is an undefeatable machine so keep him that way after giving up on that hold on RAW I see RUSEV winning at WM31

I think Rusev should win, (Though he probably won't) and for several reasons. One, you mention that John Cena has nothing to gain from this, and you're right. He's a 15 time world champion, and becoming a U.S. Champion is like a demotion. You mentioned that Cena winning would bring prestige to the U.S. title. I disagree. I think Rusev beating a guy like Cena brings prestige to the U.S. title. Secondly, Cena is known as a guy who beats everybody and never gives up. So if Rusev can beat Cena once more at Wrestlemania, not only will it give Rusev a tremendous boost, but it will also give a tremendous boost to the guy who eventually does beat Rusev (preferrably after breaking The Accolade). This win should go to a guy who could still benefit from beating Rusev like perhaps Ryback or Roman Reigns.

I don't think it's a good thing. In fact, I think the WWE have so many more options and possibilities available to them if Rusev wins and beats Cena cleanly.

For example, Rusev beats John Cena at Wrestlemania and no matter who wins between Lesnar or Reigns (would prefer Lesnar to) have Seth Rollins cash in and becomes the new WWE Champion to close Wrestlemania.

Roman Reigns come out the next night on Raw after Wrestlemania and Rusev comes out to gloat. A match is set up for later in the night for the US championship and Reigns defeats Rusev for the US championship. Gets the crowd behind Reigns and gives him a chance for the crowd to connect with him as a champion while also taking the US championship away from Rusev and ending a streak before it becomes career defining.

With John Cena losing, you go on a redemption story. Its loss after loss for the face of the company. Time is catching up to Cena so he goes after WWE Champion Seth Rollins. Have a triple threat match with Orton, number one contender matches until eventually the face of the company becomes once again WWE Champion. John Cena becomes a 16 time World Champion.

If Lesnar is with WWE at this point, have him feud with Rollins.

Rusev, who has been on a rampage since losing the title, beating everyone but while not going after the US Title - 'reason - why do I want to represent you stupid Americans' - demands a match against WWE Champion John Cena, pointing to two straight victories. John Cena accepts and it's WWE Champion John Cena against the unstoppable Russian Rusev at Summerslam. Rusev wins, becomes WWE Champion.

Who can stop him?

You have three choices at Wrestlemania: Reigns if his US Championship experiment worked, Brock Lesnar (if he stays with WWE) or the Rock.

Then you've elevated Rusev and maybe Reigns by giving him an acceptable title reign, have a chance to make Brock Lesnar USA's saviour, keep building Rollins as the architect heel, redeem Cena while passing the torch and maybe even if it's played correctly get that Rock vs Brock match (title or no title).

By the way, I haven't mentioned Daniel Bryan as I want to see him as Intercontinental Champion and hold the belt until next Wrestlemania, bringing real prestige back to the title.

So, in conclusion, no I wouldn't have Cena beat Rusev as there's a bigger story available for both characters by having Rusev beat Cena.

I definitely think John Cena should win the U.S. Title, because Rusev doesn't need it anymore. In fact, I think the U.S. title needs John Cena. It would be cool to see U.S. and I.C. title matches headline shows and get blockbuster feuds. With John Cena (and possibly Daniel Bryan) as mid-card champs, that would happen.

Rusev has been champ for a long while now and I think it's about time for him to enter the main event scene. I wouldn't mind seeing a Rusev/Lesnar, Rusev/Reigns, or even Rusev/Rollins feud for the WWEWHC following Mania. It's not difficult to build Rusev back up after a loss to Cena. All he really needs to do is come back and say he will never lose again, and go on another mini-tear through the upper roster. I really think Cena walks out as champ due to Rusev's victory over him at Fast Lane.

I don't think it's a good thing. In fact, I think the WWE have so many more options and possibilities available to them if Rusev wins and beats Cena cleanly.

For example, Rusev beats John Cena at Wrestlemania and no matter who wins between Lesnar or Reigns (would prefer Lesnar to) have Seth Rollins cash in and becomes the new WWE Champion to close Wrestlemania.

Roman Reigns come out the next night on Raw after Wrestlemania and Rusev comes out to gloat. A match is set up for later in the night for the US championship and Reigns defeats Rusev for the US championship. Gets the crowd behind Reigns and gives him a chance for the crowd to connect with him as a champion while also taking the US championship away from Rusev and ending a streak before it becomes career defining.

With John Cena losing, you go on a redemption story. Its loss after loss for the face of the company. Time is catching up to Cena so he goes after WWE Champion Seth Rollins. Have a triple threat match with Orton, number one contender matches until eventually the face of the company becomes once again WWE Champion. John Cena becomes a 16 time World Champion.

If Lesnar is with WWE at this point, have him feud with Rollins.

Rusev, who has been on a rampage since losing the title, beating everyone but while not going after the US Title - 'reason - why do I want to represent you stupid Americans' - demands a match against WWE Champion John Cena, pointing to two straight victories. John Cena accepts and it's WWE Champion John Cena against the unstoppable Russian Rusev at Summerslam. Rusev wins, becomes WWE Champion.

Who can stop him?

You have three choices at Wrestlemania: Reigns if his US Championship experiment worked, Brock Lesnar (if he stays with WWE) or the Rock.

Then you've elevated Rusev and maybe Reigns by giving him an acceptable title reign, have a chance to make Brock Lesnar USA's saviour, keep building Rollins as the architect heel, redeem Cena while passing the torch and maybe even if it's played correctly get that Rock vs Brock match (title or no title).

By the way, I haven't mentioned Daniel Bryan as I want to see him as Intercontinental Champion and hold the belt until next Wrestlemania, bringing real prestige back to the title.

So, in conclusion, no I wouldn't have Cena beat Rusev as there's a bigger story available for both characters by having Rusev beat Cena.

Although I don't agree with your argument, I do like your scenarios. You didn't go out of your way to insult anyone and you provided an actual reason why you disagree. Refreshing. If it turned out this way I would still watch it. My point is Cena's victory will ensure two things:

1. When Brock Lesnar wins at WM31 and shows up every now and again like he's been, there will be a championship defended to close the show. As dominant as Rusev has been, he still hasn't reached the point to where he can close a show as of yet.

2. It allows Rusev to get in the main event picture. Whether it's Reigns or Rollins. Even Bray Wyatt if he defeats the Undertaker. A lot of possibilities.

I agree with the OP on this. I strongly believe that the US Title could really use the elevation that Cena would bring to it. The only way I'd prefer to see Rusev go over at Mania is if WWE is planning to let someone like Ryback/Ziggler/Cesaro/etc. get the major rub of being the first to pin/submit him.

Can Rusev take the US title further? Definitely. Plus he can get himself even bigger. Feuds with Ziggler, Ryback, Bryan and Orton would all make him look great and the US title would benefit from it.

Can Cena take the US title to a new level? Obviously but it doesn't necessarily mean he should win it and hold it in the long-term.

There are pros and cons for both outcomes. Rusev might get lost in the shuffle without the belt because that title guarantees he will be on every PPV. With Cena, there are only so many people he could have convincing feuds with involving that belt. Indeed, Cena will always be bigger than the US title.

I reckon Cena wins at Mania but either drops the belt to Rusev or is forced to vacate it. Either way Rusev is holding the belt once more, the only difference is he now has a loss on his record - adding a little more vulnerability to his character and suspense to his matches.

Rusev is probably going to lose against Cena and anyome that thinks it's a bad thing he does needs to grow the fuck up and pull their heads out of their asses.

You,the masses that bitch and complain "it's the same every week" would rather Rusev beat Cena and continue with the undefeated anti-USA shtick he's been working since his debut?

Rusev loses to Cena, his goal has changed. He was the undefeated champion on a crusade against the USA. But once the match is over, Rusev feels he needs to prove himself. It isn't about America or Russia, it's about him proving that his first big loss doesn't mean he's a flash in the pan. He isn't the champion anymore and he's no longer undefeated, he's lost it all in one night. But we all know what an animal he is in the ring, and he isn't going anywhere just because he's probably booked to lose/lost this ONE FUCKING MATCH.

Cena 'burried' Bray Wyatt last year, the same guy that is currently feuding with the Undertaker at 'mania. "waaah takers streak is already broken" Grow up and get over it. "waaaaah the match is gonna suck" Google the term 'personal opinion'. Rusev's story is a classic redemption tale. Learn a thing or two about story development before you trash the work other people provide to entertain you.

EDIT:
Remember when Chris Jericho was the IC champion and he lost the strap? Was that the end of his career? No.

EDIT 2:
Not claiming to be an expert writer, it just seems rich that a lot of the same people I've seen posting about how bland Rusev became a month or two into his Russian run are now complaining that he's actually probably being set up to lose, 'cause Cena's involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back