• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why isnt MVP a main-eventer yet?

paperbagman

Paper Bag Champion
i kno he and mark henry are a "Tag Team" but come on! it shud have been him 2nite destroying ortons car, not kingston! mvps been working his ass off, and way back when he had the 2o r 3 matches vs orton i thot that was that and he was going to get a shot... but no, kofi kingston a jamaican thats rly from africa, gets the shot (and lets face it, even a month and a half fued w/ orton will give u that) when rly a more deserving person is stuck with a fat guy w. dreadlocks: Montel Vontavious porter!!!!!!!

You're probably right. I could see MVP in that role instead of Kofi tonight. For whatever reason MVP can't remain relevent. He gets hot for two weeks then disappears for two weeks. He just can't seem to build any momentum. I think the face turn hurt him. He had a great gimmick as a heel and was one of the few newer guys who seems really comfortable on the mic. I loved his promos on SmackDown. Hopefully a heel turn is in the near future for him.

OK...First off, spelling and grammar go a long way in getting people to read your posts and take you seriously. Now, on to the point...MVP is a guy who has worked his ass off, done what was asked of him, and is generally a very solid performer (on the stick and in the ring). So why is Kofi getting the work with Randy right now?

Well...the 'E' dropped the ball with MVP. He came to RAW with all kinds of momentum and fire, and creative wasted it. This isn't a knock on MVP, but on the folks behind the scenes. I think MVP will, someday, be a main eventer, even if I do have trouble ever seeing him as a world champion at this point. Unfortunately, his character has stagnated in the mid card for months now. A feud with Orton just wouldn't be believable in any sense. Kofi is a more recent US Champion, and someone who hasn't been getting squashed on RAW. I think Henry and MVP need to win the Tag Titles soon, as I think they would benefit the most from the gold and enhanced airtime on two shows. MVP needs to be built back up to where he was back at the draft for him to be considered a possible main event type of guy.

At some point, reality needs to set in on everyone here: MVP simply is overrated. Everyone talks about how great he is and all that jazz but other than ONE promo against Orton I've never seen it. Shelton Benjamin is more talented than MVP. He's just not an interesting character at all. he had a bad feud with Matt that wasn't good as it went on far too long. Other than that, what has he done? He's had some bullshit US Title reigns and had a decent theory for a gimmick. Outside of that, MVP has never shown any promise. He doesn't have great matches, his gimmick isn't interesting as a face and while it was ok as a heel, it's not something that's going to carry him anywhere past the midcard. Kofi is someone that puts on great matches, is over, has a very unique look and can talk well. Swagger owned MVP in their feud both in the ring and on the mic, just as more or less everyone has. MVP isn't a main event guy for one reason: a lack of talent.

MVP isn't a main eventer because he can't stay over and others deserve it more. Others like Kofi, who despite not being given any mic time until last week, has been one of the most popular guys in raw for a year now. MVP was okay as a heel, but isn't able to work as a face at all. He belongs with Henry.

I could care less about MVP as well. I applaud him for turning his life around after he was in prison for 9 years, but he is no Main Eventer. Maybe he could of had something with Orton when he was first drafted to Raw. The same could be said about Mark Henry, but both of these guys are very limited on the mic and in the ring. MVP does get a few "Ballin" cheers but that's it. There is almost no reaction what so ever when he comes out.

People want to see a wrestler cut passionate promos, not a wrestler who is giving a speech at your high school about drugs. Yeah we are glad you are off the streets MVP but you are boring as hell. We don't need a lecture about staying clean. At least he had something going as a heel, even though he had a losing streak. WWE may have dropped the ball, but the ball really never was in MVP's court to begin with. If it was, MVP wouldn't of done anything with it anyways.

MVP doesn't have the 'IT' factor. I know I mention that a lot, but let's be honest...that is the key to success in pro-wrestling. It's what makes us fans.

MVP = rather generic. Nothing unique about him, even when given the chance at mid-card. He can't stay over, and he shouldn't stay over. Might sound harsh but...it's the reality of the business.

He has NOTHING to offer the main event scene. Suppose they even put MVP in a gimmick match for the title or something. He doesn't even fit in THAT scenario. MVP is like your consumate Superstars main-eventer, SmackDown! mid-carder or ECW Champ...which is IMO where he should be. Building him is proving to be difficult. There's no merchandise you can sell with him (and don't say his gloves, this isn't the Heartbreak Kid days), there's no reason to be like OOOOOOH I wanna see MVP, his moveset is so bland it's what you use to train people in FCW with.

Those are the reasons that MVP is not a main-eventer.

Seriously, how good would it have been to have MVP standing out there with Orton's car wearing a suit and tie, looking like a gangster or mafia style and just destroying the car with a sledge hammer. Or even having a few guys shoot up the car..... it would really give MVP's character the edge that he's lacking. MVP needs some spotlight by himself, not with Mark Henry.
IMO The only way he's ever going to get over with the fans is to turn into the sort of 'face' that we want... not just in the ring but outside as well. His character needs to be more believable, even if it means going back to that 'high paid' superstar but with a twist and staying face.

He's just not credible as a main eventer anymore. He was at one time when he was US Champion, but not, that luster's gone and he'll need another title run to be relevant again. He's had some good matches in the past and has the capability of being a solid wrestler, but his problem is that he's simply not believable as a wrestler who could fight for the belt.

I know this is something frowned upon around here, too...but turning MVP back to heel would work also. Look at what it done for Batista. It's made him credible and scary as a wrestler again...something he lost a while ago. MVP is a better heel anyway. He's a natural heel character, thinking he's superior to everyone.

mvp reminds me of booker t back in 2004. solid entertainer and over with the crowd but dont see him being a main evnter. the tag team of him and henry can work and will keep him from being released. he needs to turn back heel and move back to sd

I hate that he rarely gets mic time nowadays.Dude is very good on the mic.

He's had some good matches in the past and has the capability of being a solid wrestler, but his problem is that he's simply not believable as a wrestler who could fight for the belt.

I know this is something frowned upon around here, too...but turning MVP back to heel would work also. Look at what it done for Batista. It's made him credible and scary as a wrestler again...something he lost a while ago. MVP is a better heel anyway. He's a natural heel character, thinking he's superior to everyone.

That's what I was thinking.

MVP's character has been watered down and diluted as a face.He used to be cocky and a brag about his wealth.

It seems like HHH and HBK are the only two "face" guys that can be pricks to heels AND faces.

MVP is one of my favorite wrestlers still but his character was designed
for a heel.

And yeah,MVP had good matches with Benoit,Hardy,Rey,Punk,Batista,etc in 2007 for example.He was adjusting his arsenal all the time and was pretty fine overall.

I've noticed he's been kinda "off" certain times ever since that losing streak angle.

But he did have a good match with Kofi this year and that DDT he did at Breaking Point was awesome.

In my mind he just doesnt have the "IT" factor just yet,and he just doesn't seem to draw reactions as a face like he did when he was heel,i think he should go back to being a heel and feud with guys like Mark Henry,Evan Bourne and maybe a good feud with HBK would build him.

In my mind he just doesnt have the "IT" factor just yet,and he just doesn't seem to draw reactions as a face like he did when he was heel,i think he should go back to being a heel and feud with guys like Mark Henry,Evan Bourne and maybe a good feud with HBK would build him.

He got a nice pop tonight on Raw actually and definitely in Detroit&Chicago vs Jericho.Maybe his entrance pops are inconsistent but he's not alone.Kofi got no entrance pop for two straight weeks and tonight it seemed bigger finally.Some people just love singling out MVP.

Look at how over he was at The Royal Rumble this year or in Calgary when he cut that promo on Swagger.Very loud "MVP" chants.

He CAN draw reactions as a face.

And I wouldn't mind seeing heel MVP/HBK also.

"I'm better than Shawn Michaels."

3 things

1. The loosing streak which he eventually broke out of but amounted to nothing with a match not focused around him (Last Man Standing vs. The Big Show)

2. The Face turn ... MVP is a natural heel.

3. Drafted to RAW. It's almost impossible for a mid carder to break out to the ME in RAW.

At some point, reality needs to set in on everyone here: MVP simply is overrated

Statements like these don't make sense to me. A wrestler can be overrated by fans/IWC/etc (examples would be AJ Styles, John Morrison, and CM PUNK) but what this has to do with them being main eventers I don't know. MVP is not a main eventer because the WWE has not made him one. Next week on RAW WWE could book him to win the WWE Title from Cena and insert him into the triple threat match at Survivor Series BAM!!!!!!!!!! He is a main eventer. Now would that be the right move? NO Would that make him over as a main eventer? NO but to be a main eventer is to be pushed as one nothing more or nothing less getting over as a main eventer is a different story.

I can understand why people would see MVP in Kingston's role from last night, but to be honest, I thought Kingston was fantastic and I think they made the right decision in going with him.

Also I'm actually enjoying MVP and Mark Henry as a tag team, am I the only one?

MVP seems to have the same problem Matt Hardy does...and no, I'm not talking about a weight problem, although that is part of it...it's they're they are just solid, enhancement workers.

Both stay perpetually over despite not winning a lot of matches or taking part in too many memorable feuds (except with each other...and we're talking singles, not tags...and yes, Hardy/Edge is an exception), both are considered adequate on the mic and in the ring, both are students of the game...but that's it. Neither quite has the look or it factor of other main eventers (CM Punk is the ONLY one who is currently deviating from that pack, having a unique look and style). But that's fine...not everyone is meant to be a main eventer. Hell, Santino Marella is probably one of the quickest guys ever on the mic (his quips are so fast and funny it's almost hard to keep up when he gets rolling) and has actually shown some ability, but he's a comedy act, he's comfortable in that roll, and that's probably all he's ever going to amount to. Not everyone NEEDS to be a main eventer, and some guys, like MVP, Hardy, Shelton, Regal, etc, just aren't meant to be one...everyone has a place, but it can't all be at the top.

He's not that great. He sucks as a face, it's disgraceful. I was actually more interested in Mark Henry wrestling last night then MVP because MVP has gotten so boring and uninteresting to me. Whatever happened to him actually using technical skill in his matches? He has it, it's not being used. I'm tired of seeing facebuster, elbow drop, kick. That's it. He's not a main-eventer because he turned face, that's my opinion.

At some point, reality needs to set in on everyone here: MVP simply is overrated. Everyone talks about how great he is and all that jazz but other than ONE promo against Orton I've never seen it. Shelton Benjamin is more talented than MVP. He's just not an interesting character at all. he had a bad feud with Matt that wasn't good as it went on far too long. Other than that, what has he done? He's had some bullshit US Title reigns and had a decent theory for a gimmick. Outside of that, MVP has never shown any promise. He doesn't have great matches, his gimmick isn't interesting as a face and while it was ok as a heel, it's not something that's going to carry him anywhere past the midcard. Kofi is someone that puts on great matches, is over, has a very unique look and can talk well. Swagger owned MVP in their feud both in the ring and on the mic, just as more or less everyone has. MVP isn't a main event guy for one reason: a lack of talent.
I agree 100%
I think MVP will be a permenant midcarder. You can't take him seriously. Dont get me wrong he has talent, but its not THAT entertaining. his US title regins were full of bull because he had no one but Shelton Benjamin to defend. Benjamin has way more skills than MVP. They just needed it to seem like MVP was better than Shelton. Hence the title regin.

Thing is the guy is solid in the ring, but storyline wise his character is too inconsistant, and Swagger never owned MVP on the Mick, it was thwe other way around completely, but from that feud Swagger the better. MVP was better on SD because at some point every one there gets a freaking break, on Raw even as face he looked as a freaking jobber when he faced HHH in the tournament for the No. contender spot for Night of Champions.

thing is that he is having similar issues to CM Punk when he was on Raw as face, people need to realize that Raw only have 3 faces as Main eventers (eventhoug they are trying with Kofi now) but they are confortable with HHH-Cena-HBK on top and never rotates at all, even now they are going to face at Survivor Series, how freaking ridiculous is that? I know they are the top players but if face againts face it akward, three faces at the same time alone seems like a little too much, even SD Fata four way had a heel and a turn.

And about the bland arsenal, there are Main eventers with worse arsenal than MVP, at leats the guy knows how to pull a freaking German suplex and few some other moves, his Finisher is crap I know (and a Rip-off from Randy's old finisher) but changing that he could be better.

MVP is better as a heel, it was better when he was like "I'm better than you bc I'm MVP". Now he's not so great, if he remains face, he's gonna become stale, some starts are just made to be heels and faces naturally.

While MVP is better as a heel in singles competition. I really like him as a face teamed up with Henry. They look like a damn good team together and I really hope it pays off in the form of the Unified Tag Team Titles. MVP is a solid worker and good on the mic. I still think he has what it takes to jump into the main event scene. He's just more suited for that as a heel.

To be a good main eventer. MVP needs a new finisher. Another heel run to possibly take him to the next level and feud with some faces like hbk , hhh, john morrison , etc. He has it I see it in him. He is the type of wrestler that just has to take his time like Edge and Jeff Hardy were.

To me, it seems creative just doesn't know how to book MVP. There are some weeks where he'll look strong and on the verge of something good, then other weeks he'll look like a complete jobber. Since they can't decide how to use him as a single's wrestler, they stick him with Henry, but the process repeats itself. They'll look great one week, crap the next.

Also, MVP pretty much sucks as a face, but I blame that more on creative than on him. MVP could easily be a great cocky, asshole face, like The Rock was. Instead, they've watered him down so much that he's basically Cena with a criminal record. He may be black on the outside, but he's pure vanilla inside. One thing I hate about the WWE is that they never have "cool faces" anymore; most of them are these lame, goody-two shoe Cena clones. They need to stop being so strict on faces and let them show some attitude.

A final reason is that MVP is on Raw, which is mid-card purgatory. It's damn near impossible for mid-carders to become main-eventers there. MVP needs to go to Smackdown and become a main-eventer there for a few years before he can even think of trying to main-event on Raw.

Seriously, it's about time that they seperated those two. And yes, I know WWE could use the tag teams (that they ultimately could careless for ANYWAY), but the combination of MVP and Henry does NOT work at all. For one, it took away MVP's unique combination of looks altogether and stuck him in that Kool-Aid light of a costume. One of the reasons I liked MVP was the different jumpsuits he had, ala Rey Mysterio and his masks/costumes. I am STILL refusing to see Mark Henry as a face, as it sickens me. MVP doesn't need Henry at all. Send the big man back to ECW and let him thread water there. And while MVP is good as a face, he was (IMO) better in heel form due to his cocky nature that he portrayed (like in his feud with Matt Henry). MVP deserves to be either in the ME, or at least gunning for his US title again because this ish with Henry needs to stop. Pronto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back