Why does WWE favor Stone Cold to The Rock?

At the end of the day WWE has had 3 main eras...They were lead by Hogan, Austin and now Cena. Besides being the faces of the company during their reigns, what do those three men have in common?

They all lost to The Rock at WrestleMania.

If thats what constitutes being the number 2 guy in the company at a certain time, sign me up. And I bet every other wrestler would say the same thing.

Comparing Austin to the Rock is pointless. It's a matter of opinion and most everybody is not changing there mind now. They are 2 of the greatest of all time and will be that way forever.

While that is a pretty good point, there's a flip side to that coin. Rock only beat Cena to make Cena's win over him that more triumphant. Rock only beat Austin because he was on his way out and since they couldn't get Goldberg for WM 19 they stuck him with another guy who was in no story and could easily face him with little to no build. Rock only beat Hogan because Vince wanted to recreate the "passing of the torch" moment in 87 and Rock just happened to be in the right place and the right time. He's also lost more at Wrestlemania than each one of them. He's also never won a WM mania event (no that Rock/Cena shit doesnt count).

Also if we're going by that logic there is only one person to hold a victory over every face of the company starting with Hogan (Hogan, HBK had a short run as company face, Bret Hart, Austin, Rock, Brock Lesnar, John Cena, Batista, Randy Orton) and nearly every other big name in pro wrestling and that's the Undertaker. By that logic he's the greatest of all time right?

While that is a pretty good point, there's a flip side to that coin. Rock only beat Cena to make Cena's win over him that more triumphant. Rock only beat Austin because he was on his way out and since they couldn't get Goldberg for WM 19 they stuck him with another guy who was in no story and could easily face him with little to no build. Rock only beat Hogan because Vince wanted to recreate the "passing of the torch" moment in 87 and Rock just happened to be in the right place and the right time. He's also lost more at Wrestlemania than each one of them. He's also never won a WM mania event (no that Rock/Cena shit doesnt count).

Also if we're going by that logic there is only one person to hold a victory over every face of the company starting with Hogan (Hogan, HBK had a short run as company face, Bret Hart, Austin, Rock, Brock Lesnar, John Cena, Batista, Randy Orton) and nearly every other big name in pro wrestling and that's the Undertaker. By that logic he's the greatest of all time right?

That's just a joke.
Making an excuse for every win?! Yeah I could do that with every match in history. You're clearly just hating, with no logic.

Rock is considered bigger than those stars you mentioned because Rock drew huge numbers in every sense. That's not debatable. Whether they were as big as Austin's is debatable.

Who was the main guy and whatever is all debatable, there is no facts to say it's one or the other, it's just how people choose to see it. But I don't see how anyone can seriously put Austin so far above Rock based on what Rock did from 1999-2002. All I see is excuses and ifs and buts... but the proof is there that Rock was used as the face of the company at least as much as Austin in that time. I argue more so.

Thread has gotten a little out of control lol. It's simple guys...but a lot of people want to be bias. I'll get to the OP's question in my closing...

1. Stone Cold gets pretty much all the credit for helping WWF surpass WCW/NWO in ratings. People tend to overlook the fact that Vince was 50% of that reason. Although Austin was great and a breath of fresh ass kickin air to a dulling product, it was his fued with his boss that really blew things up. Not to mention DX...HBK n HHH were huge too. This also helped.

2. The Rock came along and started to make wrestling appealing with his gimmick...the peoples eyebrow, the $800 shirts, the catchphrases etc. The guy was getting attention from the main stream more than Austin was. That's obvious. He was getting commercial deals like crazy, his own song with Wycleff which was playing like crazy on MTV, SNL appearances, movie deals...you name it. He was HUGE in bringing in NEW fans.

Austin was HUGE in the wrestling world only...he was pulling WCW fans in but Rock pulled fans in from the street...evident by the rating tilt...Austin increased WWF's #'s and decreased WCW's....Rock just increased WWF's even more as WCW's #'s stayed the same...this means he pulled the non fans and casual fans who saw him everywhere else.

3. It's documented that Stone Cold was wary about Rock becoming hotter and decided to take time off to avoid getting stale. This was huge in keeping his character fresh since he was out ALOT either for injuries or just leaving on his own. Not to mention his character was only around at it's best from 1997-2002 (a couple months in 2003, but gone for most of 2000, and 6 months in 2001-2002.). That's like 3 full years lol. We didn't get much of him and it was in spurts so he was always fresh and we didn't tire of him. A big reason why we love him because we keep wanting more of him since we don't get much.

4. In regards to Hogan vs Austin...the video above proves it was always Rock vs Hogan. He said so himself. Kinda shows how they felt about Rock being the new #1 .

5. Mania 17....with the plan being Rock vs Austin at 16 as the reports showed until Austin was worried about how hot Rock was and how stale he was getting they couldn't do it because he elected to get his surgeries over with at this perfect time. With 17 being booked in Texas...pretty obvious you can't have Rock go over while they're both faces in Austin's home. That's common sense. Therefore they had to show Rock was better by having Austin sell his soul to win.

6. Vince loves Austin more because He and Austin have a special relationship formed on how they together defeated WCW. It's like a tag team partner you win the championship with when you were almost defeated and he helped you overcome the opposition. You never forget that, and I understand it.

Not to mention how Rock left for Hollywood for all those years. Who do you think Vince will praise more? It's pretty damn easy. All the other things being brought up about Rock vs Austin in terms of popularity is not relevant to this particular question. The answer to it is quick and easy as I made in this 6th point.

Since I can't edit this post anymore, I'll just quote it...

I forgot to add ...that in regards to the loudest pops, every single Raw Report from this very site back in the height of the Attitude Era always had at the end from the people who posted it that attended..."Loudest Pop- The Rock"...every friggin time. I don't remember Jericho saying that about Austin, but I remember a lot of other superstars saying the roof blew off every time his music hit...almost as if they were annoyed by it because it was every time without fail. I remember this specifically, and it's evident by watching those old shows. It's crystal clear...there's no debating that.

Just look around this site people. More people like Austin than they like Rock. One small example that Austin was more popular/better.

The Rock was booed like crazy at WrestleMania 18. Wow. What an amazing baby face. Infact he was so good and so valuable to the WWE that they just let his contract expire in 2004, without even trying to get him to sign a new one.

Look at the other thread "Where does John Cena rank among the all time greats?", almost everyone has ranked Steve Austin above The Rock.

I really can't see how WWE favors The Rock over Austin but if they do I would say it's simply because WWE can always rely more on Austin to help out with various projects and angles from the WWE. While The Rock has his own thing with Hollywood and doesn't really appear in WWE related shows and PR besides his 3 year stint.

Austin, despite being retired, pretty much still breathes and bleeds this industry. His podcast interviews various wrestlers from different promotions, he can be relied on in being part of WWE projects like movies from WWE Films and The Tough Enough reality show, and can be called upon if WWE wants him in a segment.

The Rock would normally distance himself from Wrestling so there's really no benefit on the WWE's part of putting The Rock over Austin, if The Rock isn't going to help give the WWE more exposure or even appear in their programmes.

Austin didn't leave the company at the height of his popularity for Hollywood and stay away for 10 year's like the Rock did. SCSA gave everything he had to this business and only left because he physically couldn't wrestle anymore while the seemed to use the WWE to help him accomplice a totally different goal.

But Rock also didn't take his ball and go home because the company wanted him to put over a rookie. And I honestly don't get why wrestling fans hold it against The Rock for jumping at the Hollywood oppurtunity. Who isn't gonna take the chance to make alot more money to work alot less. I don't blame the guy. And you same fans that try to knock Rock for that are the same clowns who are applauding CM Punk for walking out because he ain't getting his way. I don't understand wrestling fans sometimes.

Am I the only one that thinks that this thread is completely backwards? I have wondered for years why the wwe favors Rock over Austin? The Rock has been on more video game covers, is talked about more on wwe television, is STILL on the intro to Raw, Smackdown was named after his catch phrase, on the wwe signature intro The Rock is shown clearly but Austins picture flashes by rather quickly and has the wwe logo covering most of him, and Rocky appears on wwe tv more than Austin. There is actually nothing that I can think of that would make it seem as though Austin is favored over The Rock in any way.

Austin WAS the bigger draw for a few years but now they and incomparable.

Rock shits all over Austin 7 days a week and twice on a Sunday. WWE reached out to Rock and never even bother with Austin now.

Since I can't edit this post anymore, I'll just quote it...

I forgot to add ...that in regards to the loudest pops, every single Raw Report from this very site back in the height of the Attitude Era always had at the end from the people who posted it that attended..."Loudest Pop- The Rock"...every friggin time. I don't remember Jericho saying that about Austin, but I remember a lot of other superstars saying the roof blew off every time his music hit...almost as if they were annoyed by it because it was every time without fail. I remember this specifically, and it's evident by watching those old shows. It's crystal clear...there's no debating that.

"Well The Rock got an ovation, but THIS is an ovation" Jim Ross during Austin's entrance as enforcer in the 6 pack challenger, Unforgiven 1999.

1. In October/November 2001, Dave Meltzer reported the WWF had the WrestleMania XVIII main event down to three options: Austin vs. Rock, Austin vs. HHH and Austin vs. Rock vs. HHH.

2. Steve Austin has said he was offered the WrestleMania XVIII match with Hulk Hogan, but he turned it down. Twelve years have passed, so people are bound to misremember.

3. Arguing Rock vs. Austin is a waste of time. It's like arguing Mantle vs. Mays vs . Snider. Whomever you prefered, you're going to argue for.

4. Numbers and stats don't always tell the truth. For example, the Steve Austin vs. Undertaker match from the night after King of the Ring '99 is the highest rated match in Raw history, but because it was shorter than 'This Is Your Life,' the skit ends up being the highest ranked segment of all time.

5. People take this topic way too personally. During the Attitude Era, the WWE treated Austin as the bigger star because he got them out of the wilderness, thus Vince was loyal to him . It's that simple.

6. Rock fans seem to get really butt hurt over this topic. Personally, I couldn 't stand The Rock. He was a prick that liked to run his mouth, and more often than not, it led to him getting his butt kicked.

Austin was 200% right when he walked out in 2002. Remember when WCW put Goldberg vs. Hogan on Nitro? The WWE mocked them for pissing away PPV money. Giving away the first Lesnar vs. Austin match on Raw is just as stupid. That's a money match you build to. I don 't remember the WWE giving away Lesnar vs. HHH or Lesnar vs. Rock or Lesnar vs. Undertaker or Lesnar vs. Jericho on Raw.

"Well The Rock got an ovation, but THIS is an ovation" Jim Ross during Austin's entrance as enforcer in the 6 pack challenger, Unforgiven 1999.

That's one day!! lol, That wasn't the constant.

1. In October/November 2001, Dave Meltzer reported the WWF had the WrestleMania XVIII main event down to three options: Austin vs. Rock, Austin vs. HHH and Austin vs. Rock vs. HHH.

2. Steve Austin has said he was offered the WrestleMania XVIII match with Hulk Hogan, but he turned it down. Twelve years have passed, so people are bound to misremember.

3. Arguing Rock vs. Austin is a waste of time. It's like arguing Mantle vs. Mays vs . Snider. Whomever you prefered, you're going to argue for.

4. Numbers and stats don't always tell the truth. For example, the Steve Austin vs. Undertaker match from the night after King of the Ring '99 is the highest rated match in Raw history, but because it was shorter than 'This Is Your Life,' the skit ends up being the highest ranked segment of all time.

5. People take this topic way too personally. During the Attitude Era, the WWE treated Austin as the bigger star because he got them out of the wilderness, thus Vince was loyal to him . It's that simple.

6. Rock fans seem to get really butt hurt over this topic. Personally, I couldn 't stand The Rock. He was a prick that liked to run his mouth, and more often than not, it led to him getting his butt kicked.

1. Huh? We are talking about Hogan vs Rock or Austin only.

2. In the friggin video posted in this exact thread there is a video of Austin HIMSELF saying he was not offered Hogan. You must be dumb or blind to keep saying otherwise.

3. Basically. The difference between Rock fans is that they give Austin the credit he deserves as an all time great whereas Austin fans discredit the Rock so much that they say he's hardly a top ten all time talent which is ridiculous.

4. Numbers tell the truth a lot more than not. The stats are heavily in Rocks favor when broken down and a analyzed. Yet many Stone Cold fans post their opinions and act as though it's the facts.

5. Not really. It gets taken seriously when Rock haters start to bash him. It's crystal clear who Vince favors more (Austin) and for good reason, but people open up a whole new can of worms when they start talking bullshit and pulling "facts" out of their ass especially when a lot of them were like 5 years old during that era.

6. Rock fans get butt hurt? lol I'd say the same about Austin fans who clearly hate on the Rock by stooping to low levels to discredit him or put him down. I guess it's out of fear of the truth that Rock was just as big as him and even bigger now.

Fans wouldn't have a reason to get pissed if this didn't happen. Rock fans present the facts by the numbers, ratings, booking (Hogan) etc and Austin fans create excuses and start blasting the Rock like you do saying he's a prick and you hate him.

Rock fans can't deny what Austin did to help save the company, but Austin fans don't acknowledge that he didn't do it alone (Vince's help). Then the secret haters subtly say Rock did "a little" to boost ratings "slightly" afterwards. I've never seen a wrestler get so much hate in my life, and you're complaining about how we defend one of our fav wrestlers? Wtf do you expect?

Austin saved the WWF from WCW.

Vince will always love him for that.

To be fair, WWF didn't start winning the ratings war until the Mr. McMahon character truly became a factor so, while I am a huge Austin fan, Austin didn't do it singlehandedly

There is audio/video that contridicts each other. The only people that know are Vince, Hogan, Austin and Rock. Arguing about it is pointless.

Good thing fans of The Rock don't act like 2000 was all due to Rock. Good thing Triple H, Edge & Christian, Kurt Angle and Chris Jericho weren't big reasons for the success of 2000.

The fact is both fanbases will always back there guy, which is cool. It's like Yankees vs. Red Sox, but without the douchness.

It really was.

I can't think of a Rock reaction that got anywhere close to the 3 biggest pops I've ever seen.

1. Austin comes down to help Mankind win his first title (The famous butts on seats match).
2. Zamboni (People may remember JR talking about how one of the security told him the arena never even went that crazy in the Stanley Cup.
3. Linda McMahon announcing Austin to be in Rock's corner at Backlash 99.

This adds nothing to the debate but for me the Rock lost it when he shaved his sideburns off and stopped wearing his expensive shirts circa Autumn 99. They also added a beat to his music. He became very samey and gentrified and lost a lot of his edginess.

Corporate (and early face) Rock was one of the most entertaining performers I've ever seen and his act always varied. Love how he used to don the announce teams headsets mid-match and start talking wack about everybody.

"Too much salt"! - one of my personal faves from the half time heat empty arena match.

It really was.

I can't think of a Rock reaction that got anywhere close to the 3 biggest pops I've ever seen.

1. Austin comes down to help Mankind win his first title (The famous butts on seats match).
2. Zamboni (People may remember JR talking about how one of the security told him the arena never even went that crazy in the Stanley Cup.
3. Linda McMahon announcing Austin to be in Rock's corner at Backlash 99.

This adds nothing to the debate but for me the Rock lost it when he shaved his sideburns off and stopped wearing his expensive shirts circa Autumn 99. They also added a beat to his music. He became very samey and gentrified and lost a lot of his edginess.

Corporate (and early face) Rock was one of the most entertaining performers I've ever seen and his act always varied. Love how he used to don the announce teams headsets mid-match and start talking wack about everybody.

"Too much salt"! - one of my personal faves from the half time heat empty arena match.

Wow, and you're not biased lol. "3 biggest pops you've ever seen" and they're all Austin lol. Come on dude. Go back and pull the old Raw reports from this website if it's possible, and take a look at the biggest pops part. They usually always had The Rock listed.

Do they favor Austin over Rock? They spent 2011 to 2013 jerking the Rock off at every opportunity. He got a birthday tribute episode of Raw with celebrities and a video package, he beat the WWE's top two starts of the past 7-8 years (John Cena and CM Punk), won the fucking WWE Championship despite being the epitome of part-time (a grand total of five matches), was inferred to be "the greatest superstar ever" for having beaten Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold Steve Austin, and John Cena at Wrestlemania, and figured into the main event of three consecutive Wrestlemanias.

If Austin *is* favored over Rock, it's because his rise to superstardom almost single-handedly saved WWE during the Monday Night Wars. His character dragged Vince McMahon and his hokey, white-meat characters kicking and screaming into the 21st century; he forced WWF to adapt a new business strategy, emphasize rebels, attitude, and anti-heroes, and drop the cliches of eras past. If Austin's anti-authority character hadn't caught on and been so marketable/successful, the whole Attitude Era likely wouldn't exist.

And for what it's worth, Rock has said countless times that Austin paved the way for him.

Yea Austin paved the way for him because he was there first. This isn't rocket science. The Rock came afterwards. Does anybody here think that the same fued that launched Austin into popularity (Stone Cold - Vince) would've eventually went stale if they dragged it out NWO style? Who would Austin be able to carry the company with since he wasn't willing to put ANYBODY over? You think the same numbers could've been sustained if there was no Rock to work with or Rock to take over?

Rock made his name working with The Nation and DX. Then Austin came in to work with him briefly during the Corporate days. Afterwards Austin was gone and Rock had to work with guys like HHH,Foley, Angle, Jericho (the latter 2 were brand new an not well known)...a far cry away from the likes of Bret, HBK, Undertaker and Vince that Austin was put in great programs with. It was after Rock became a mega star that he ended up working with Austin again at 17...conveniently Austin avoided putting Rock over at 16 and elected to take a surgery and ended up coming back less than a month after Mania 16 at Backlash.

From 1997-1999 it was all Austin, then the latter part of 1999-2002 was all Rock. This is obvious if you watched.

Here is a link to an article with over 250 comments at the end of it regarding this topic where there are seemingly unbiased opinions of non hater smarks...

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/496152-attitude-who-was-better-the-rock-or-austin

read the comments and see that a HUGE % of these people are echoing this.

Do they favor Austin over Rock? They spent 2011 to 2013 jerking the Rock off at every opportunity. He got a birthday tribute episode of Raw with celebrities and a video package, he beat the WWE's top two starts of the past 7-8 years (John Cena and CM Punk), won the fucking WWE Championship despite being the epitome of part-time (a grand total of five matches), was inferred to be "the greatest superstar ever" for having beaten Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold Steve Austin, and John Cena at Wrestlemania, and figured into the main event of three consecutive Wrestlemanias.

If Austin *is* favored over Rock, it's because his rise to superstardom almost single-handedly saved WWE during the Monday Night Wars. His character dragged Vince McMahon and his hokey, white-meat characters kicking and screaming into the 21st century; he forced WWF to adapt a new business strategy, emphasize rebels, attitude, and anti-heroes, and drop the cliches of eras past. If Austin's anti-authority character hadn't caught on and been so marketable/successful, the whole Attitude Era likely wouldn't exist.

And for what it's worth, Rock has said countless times that Austin paved the way for him.

That's only because Rock came back. Austin has no affiliation with the company and they treat him better. Also If you honestly think that Cm Punk is the 2nd top star of the past 7-8 years then you must not have heard of Batista, Randy Orton, Edge, Chris Jericho, or HHH. You know people who were constantly in the title picture and um actually drew money? But thats irrelevant

Look. Lets just accept that people like Vince McMahon, Jim Ross, Ric Flair and Chris Jericho know more about this business then you or I. Shocking, I know.
So, if they say Austin was more over. Then Austin was more over. Period.

I dont even understand the comparison. Rock was good, dont misunderstand me. But just not on Austin's level.

Leading up to WrestleMania 17, Austin always got louder pops than Rock. Just go back and watch the Raws. How exactly was Rock more over?

Austin sold 12 million Austin 3:16 shirts in 1998 alone. 12 freakin million.
Rock couldn't do it even after advertising his shirt in almost every backstage promo of his. Austin has made more money for the WWE, he's had better matches, better feuds and has left a much bigger legacy.

When Steve Austin was given the WWE title at WrestleMania 14 to run with the ball, WWE had just one established main eventer, and that was The Undertaker. Austin was new in the main event scene, and an argument could be made for Foley.
All the top guys WWE had, had left or were on the way out. Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Sid, Vader and Bulldog. Five main event caliber wrestlers had left WWE within the year.

When Rock became "the man" after Austin left, WWE had a solid roster filled with a strong lower as well as upper card.

Just weighing in with my two cents/speculation... But I can see in WWE's view that the difference between the two is that Austin was the one that propelled Vince past Turner, Bischoff and the nWo.

Austin was the one who took the company from a state of near bankruptcy and took them to a huge boom period. He obviously didn't do it single handedly, but he was the top guy and the main spark that made that happen. The Rock played his role as well, no doubt about that. Rock in '98 and '99 was phenomenal. I enjoy his work in those years even more than in 2000.

But I can see in WWE's view how Austin was the one who pulled them out of the gutter and made them popular, while The Rock was the one who just kept them popular.

Look. Lets just accept that people like Vince McMahon, Jim Ross, Ric Flair and Chris Jericho know more about this business then you or I. Shocking, I know.
So, if they say Austin was more over. Then Austin was more over. Period.

I dont even understand the comparison. Rock was good, dont misunderstand me. But just not on Austin's level.

Leading up to WrestleMania 17, Austin always got louder pops than Rock. Just go back and watch the Raws. How exactly was Rock more over?

Austin sold 12 million Austin 3:16 shirts in 1998 alone. 12 freakin million.
Rock couldn't do it even after advertising his shirt in almost every backstage promo of his. Austin has made more money for the WWE, he's had better matches, better feuds and has left a much bigger legacy.

Omg. I'll be pretty much through with this topic after this post, but for starters Jericho has gone back and forth with The Rock and Austin being the best ever. Don't just use the time he said Austin because it's convenient for your arguement.

Flair may say Austin (as they are good friends) but Hogan says The Rock or himself are the biggest ever in WWF and Flair in NWA/WCW. We already know why Vince favors Austin...that alone is understandable. JR...do I need to explain why???

People find it difficult to differentiate between the significance of what Austin HELPED to do vs being compared to Rock in terms of popularity.

I have re-watched several old school Raws on Classics OnDemand and YouTube and it's just like I remember....Rock steadily getting the louder pops on routine shows. EXLUDING comeback shows which Austin had plenty of since he wasn't always around. I'm talking a normal Monday night show with both on the card with no surprises. Rock always got the louder reception...maybe it's because women are more high pitched? I dunno but that's the case.

Austin sold a crapload of merch that year...great, and you say Rock promoted his shirts all the time, as if Austin didn't??? Wtf else has Austin ever worn besides his own damn merch????

Your points are weak and biased. Especially when you twist the quality of workers they each had. You mention 1997, but say Bret left. You mention Mania 14, but say HBK left. You don't acknowledge that Austin worked long programs with them before their departure though lol. How convenient. wtf do you think helped Austin get to that level??? Working with Bret and HBK!!!!

Then, when they left he started with Vince. Then he went on to the Undertaker and then The Rock. That's how it happened. Don't bullshit.

Rocky had great talent to work with??? A friggin Cruiserweight from WCW at the time in Jericho? Angle who was brand new to the damn business? Foley who was as appealing to the main stream and casual fans as a fat ugly janitor, and then HHH. And you're comparing the two groups????? Wow. You conveniently don't acknowledge anything I say and just side step it and make up your own shit with a spin on it to favor Austin. It's blatantly obvious dude.

I don't hate Austin...I love the guy. Listen to his podcast all the time and love watching his matches, and wish he'd come back for a final farewell. I give him all the credit in the world for what he did, but what I don't like is people DIScrediting the Rock and saying he wasn't even close to Austin's level because that's bullshit.

I always mention Rock and Austin in the same breath and see/hear the majority of people doing that too. Why can't it be just left at that?

Austin helped save WWF from WCW/NWO similar to forcing a fumble, recovering it in the 4th quarter down 5 and gave the ball to Rock for him to run for the touchdown to win the war. The best analogy I can give.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back