Why does the WWE want CM Punk to succeed so much?

Mighty NorCal

SHALL WE BEGIN?
Pretty unargubale that the man has received one of the most epic pushes for a new guy that has ever been seen. Three world titles in a few year, two MITB wins, won a major tournament on the way to an IC title win.

Now, while im a fan, of ALL the guys to give this huge amount of push to....CM Punk? What does the WWE think is so special? ability to cut decent promos? Ability to work serviceable matches with pretty much anyone? The fact they can always count on him, as far as the Wellness Policy goes?

Why him, of everyone, have they decided to bestow this on? Guesses?

I think it probably has to do that he is tenfold more reliable than almost everyone on the roster. There’s a few guys that are reliable that the WWE knows aren’t going to get in trouble by doing any drugs or anything like that, but some of those guys are older now and are more than likely going to be retiring within the coming years, so that’s why they have CM Punk. They also want to have CM Punk succeed because if someone goes out with an injury or suspension then they have him as a back-up. They know he isn’t going to get suspended anytime soon, so anytime someone goes out then they immediately have a someone who is a success that they can turn to.

Well maybe 'coz he's Straight Edge? The man won't do drugs, or steroids. So Punk is probably gonna be around a while and wont get suspended or fired. He's not ir-responsible like Jeff Hardy, and he is just really good IMO in the ring and as a person. Maybe thats why?

I think it is for the same reasons that they have pushed the living hell out of John Cena. Cena says he does not do drugs or steroids, loves the business and works his ass off. He is Vince's go to guy on Raw.

Vince needs the same type of employee on the Smackdown side. Someone who will not be a danger to his Wellness Policy, who loves the business and is willing to do anything to better the company. Punk is straight edge, has a love affair with the fans outside of the arena as well as in (although his heel turn is slowly changing that) and he goes the extra mile to up the WWE's image when he is out in public. He is not as charismatic as Cena is but he makes up for that with a greater ring prowess. This is essential on the Smackdown side where match quality seems to be of higher importance whereas Raw leans more towards the entertainment side of the business.

Pretty unargubale that the man has received one of the most epic pushes for a new guy that has ever been seen. Three world titles in a few year, two MITB wins, won a major tournament on the way to an IC title win.

Now, while im a fan, of ALL the guys to give this huge amount of push to....CM Punk? What does the WWE think is so special? ability to cut decent promos? Ability to work serviceable matches with pretty much anyone? The fact they can always count on him, as far as the Wellness Policy goes?

Aside from all the reasons you have stated, maybe he's just a really swell guy, just a good guy to chat with around the water cooler.

You put it right there. He hasn't really gotten the chance to prove his mic skills until recently, but he is very good on the mic. The past few weeks he has proven how good he is. He has been able to have screwed the most over face in the WWE, Jeff Hardy, but talk his way out of becoming a full-fledged heel.

Punk also always puts on solid matches. He faced big guys like Umaga and Snitsky and made himself as well as his opponent look good, but he can also face smaller guys like Mysterio, Jericho, and Hardy and both of them can look good. He rarely botches and sells very well. His offense is also very close to being shoot so it looks very good.

The face that he is straight-edge is also a huge thing for him. Remember, his first MitB win was because Jeff Hardy was suspended because of the Wellness Policy. They know he will be there, and he seems to love the sport so he won't take breaks like Hardy might. Don't get me wrong, I love Jeff Hardy, but Punk clearly is a better man to push than Jeff or most of the other recent guys who have debuted recently.

Well, the fact is, Punk is a damn good wrestler. You can debate that all you want, but he's had great matches with numerous wrestlers - Mysterio, Jericho, Regal, Hardy, Edge, Morrison, Miz - like you've stated, he can have a serviceable match with anyone, and can go above and beyond with many - Mysterio, Morrison, and Hardy particularly.

He can cut damn fine promos, as he's evidencing every week on SmackDown. He is playing possibly one of the best tweener characters, ever - cutting brilliant, line walking promos, playing mind games with Hardy. His frequent commentary roles are something he does like no other, probably because he has training as a color commentator, and that gives him a valuable tool to change things up.

There's also the reliability factor that has to be considered, when so many top stars - Hardy at the forefront, but in the past, Edge, Orton, and others - have been known to do drugs and been suspended for it, and after Guerrero, and more importantly, Benoit, people are finding out that wrestler + drugs = very bad.

CM Punk is basically the perfect answer to what Vince needs as a main eventer. He can work the mic well, and play a damn fine character. We haven't even seen what he can pull off as a heel yet. His in ring work is great - he can at least put out a decent match, and at many occasions, put out much much more - and he's guaranteed 100% clean. If I was Vince, I'd think I'd be staring at the future mega star of my company.

Well, the fact is, Punk is a damn good wrestler. You can debate that all you want, but he's had great matches with numerous wrestlers - Mysterio, Jericho, Regal, Hardy, Edge, Morrison, Miz - like you've stated, he can have a serviceable match with anyone, and can go above and beyond with many - Mysterio, Morrison, and Hardy particularly.

He can cut damn fine promos, as he's evidencing every week on SmackDown. He is playing possibly one of the best tweener characters, ever - cutting brilliant, line walking promos, playing mind games with Hardy. His frequent commentary roles are something he does like no other, probably because he has training as a color commentator, and that gives him a valuable tool to change things up.

There's also the reliability factor that has to be considered, when so many top stars - Hardy at the forefront, but in the past, Edge, Orton, and others - have been known to do drugs and been suspended for it, and after Guerrero, and more importantly, Benoit, people are finding out that wrestler + drugs = very bad.

CM Punk is basically the perfect answer to what Vince needs as a main eventer. He can work the mic well, and play a damn fine character. We haven't even seen what he can pull off as a heel yet. His in ring work is great - he can at least put out a decent match, and at many occasions, put out much much more - and he's guaranteed 100% clean. If I was Vince, I'd think I'd be staring at the future mega star of my company.
I'll admit I don't watch Smackdown, but Punk on Raw sucked. Punk on ECW sucked. I'm not going to hold out much hope that Punk on Smackdown is worth a shit.

As far as good matches...when did those happen? I've yet to see a Punk match, in the WWE or elsewhere, that has been worth a damn. The guy has spotty selling, poor offense, and a moveset stolen from various Japanese signature moves.

Why does the WWE want him to succeed? I can't answer that. There's potential in Punk, no doubt. I see potential, and it seems like he genuinely likes wrestling. But, right now, is skills don't match his potential, and there's no reason he should be where he is on the card.

I'll admit I don't watch Smackdown, but Punk on Raw sucked. Punk on ECW sucked. I'm not going to hold out much hope that Punk on Smackdown is worth a shit.

Well golly, Sly. Has it ever occurred to you that maybe Punk on SmackDown could in fact be a hell of a lot better than Punk on Raw or ECW? Yeah, Punk on Raw wasn't great - during his world championship reign he was stuck in half assed feud followed by half assed match followed by replacement in his title defense, followed by heading back to the midcard. On SmackDown, he's been put into better feuds and given better opponents to work with, which has translated into a much better CM Punk.

I can't exactly value your opinion if you've not been witness to the best part of Punk's career.

As far as good matches...when did those happen?

Quite often, actually.

I've yet to see a Punk match, in the WWE or elsewhere, that has been worth a damn.

Apparently, we are operating under different definitions of the term "good match".

But hey, I'll direct you to a few.

CM Punk vs Umaga, Judgment Day 2009 (fuck yeah, I said it. It's a good match)
CM Punk vs Jeff Hardy, the Bash 2009
CM Punk vs Chris Jericho, SmackDown, June 12, 2009
CM Punk vs Rey Mysterio, SmackDown, June 19, 2009
CM Punk vs John Morrison, SmackDown, June 26, 2009
CM Punk & Jeff Hardy vs Edge & Chris Jericho, Smackdown, July 3, 2009

All those range from good to great, and that's only since coming to SmackDown. Go back to the IC tournament, his title win over Regal, and his series of matches with Morrison and Miz from ECW, all of which fit the same bill.

The guy has spotty selling

I guarantee you the average fan barely notices spotty selling, unless it's blatantly obvious, and I've yet to see Punk do some blatantly bad selling.

, poor offense,

Define poor offense, if you please, because as far as I can tell, his "poor offense" has led him to getting pretty well over and producing a number of great matches.

and a moveset stolen from various Japanese signature moves.

Oh noes, he steals moves from Japan! History is filled with guys stealing moves from Japan. Every high flyer in the world does it, and anyone who wants an exciting move does it. Bret Hart took the Sharpshooter from Riki Choshu, even. Punk's independent moveset is far more unique than the one he uses now, but the WWE has forced him into being American KENTA, and you know what? I could care less where he gets his moves from, as long as he does them well. If he works a good match and performs well, and he does, he can use any moves he wants. The American crowds don't know any better, so why should I care?
Why does the WWE want him to succeed? I can't answer that.

Oh, I can. He's a great wrestler, plays a great character, and is 100% risk free. What more do you want, exactly?

There's potential in Punk, no doubt. I see potential, and it seems like he genuinely likes wrestling. But, right now, is skills don't match his potential, and there's no reason he should be where he is on the card.

I beg to differ. His skills are damn fine - he can wrestle anyone to a good match, and produce a great one with many. His mic working skills have improved incredibly since turning tweener, and we can only imagine what he'll do as a heel. He absolutely deserves to be a main eventer, because he's one of the best on SmackDown.

Personally I think its because of two reasons. 1 is his gimmick and 2 is the fans. Now his gimmick is straight edge, and well it is a pretty good way to teach kids that not everything about alcohol and drugs is "cool" if you ask me. WWE are all for PG ratings, and with CM Punk being straight edge then this just makes him one of the "best" in Vinces eyes.

Now with Cm Punk having the straight edge style is already a bonus, but with him being pretty over with the fans ( well was before his so called heel turn)´this just makes him more of a priorty. Jeff was so over that he got a title reign. Now dont get me wrong, he is my favourite wrestler ( yep I am not afraid to say it) but he isn´t exactly the best wrestler, heck he is barely at average for his skills but yet he still gets 2 world title reigns. That is why i think Punk was picked.

Well golly, Sly. Has it ever occurred to you that maybe Punk on SmackDown could in fact be a hell of a lot better than Punk on Raw or ECW? Yeah, Punk on Raw wasn't great - during his world championship reign he was stuck in half assed feud followed by half assed match followed by replacement in his title defense, followed by heading back to the midcard. On SmackDown, he's been put into better feuds and given better opponents to work with, which has translated into a much better CM Punk.

I can't exactly value your opinion if you've not been witness to the best part of Punk's career.
Good point. I'm sure in those three long months he's been on Smackdown, his abilities have increased tenfold. :rolleyes:

Quite often, actually.
Not at all, would be the better way.

Apparently, we are operating under different definitions of the term "good match".
I agree. I use the "regardless of whether he's my favorite wrestler" formula. You should try it.

But hey, I'll direct you to a few.

CM Punk vs Umaga, Judgment Day 2009 (fuck yeah, I said it. It's a good match)
CM Punk vs Jeff Hardy, the Bash 2009
CM Punk vs Chris Jericho, SmackDown, June 12, 2009
CM Punk vs Rey Mysterio, SmackDown, June 19, 2009
CM Punk vs John Morrison, SmackDown, June 26, 2009
CM Punk & Jeff Hardy vs Edge & Chris Jericho, Smackdown, July 3, 2009

All those range from good to great, and that's only since coming to SmackDown. Go back to the IC tournament, his title win over Regal, and his series of matches with Morrison and Miz from ECW, all of which fit the same bill.
Well, I'll check them out sometime. But, I won't hold my breath. Especially since this is the very first time I've heard of them, and you've already admitted to being a huge Punk fan.

I guarantee you the average fan barely notices spotty selling, unless it's blatantly obvious, and I've yet to see Punk do some blatantly bad selling.
Doesn't matter if they notice it or not, it draws from the quality of the match. Quality can be decreased, regardless if fans realize it or not.

Define poor offense
Unbelievable, dependent upon his opponent, and at times, just completely ridiculous. Not to mention, poor execution.

Oh noes, he steals moves from Japan! History is filled with guys stealing moves from Japan.
Yes, but they don't take their entire moveset. See the difference?

Bret Hart took the Sharpshooter from Riki Choshu, even.
No, he didn't. Choshu popularized the Standing Grapevine Leglock (or, Scorpion Deathlock). Konnan taught Hart the Scorpion Deathlock. Hart adapted the move into his Sharpshooter.

See, Hart did what Punk won't. Take an existing move, and adapt it to better fit his character.

Punk's independent moveset is far more unique than the one he uses now, but the WWE has forced him into being American KENTA, and you know what? I could care less where he gets his moves from, as long as he does them well. If he works a good match and performs well, and he does, he can use any moves he wants. The American crowds don't know any better, so why should I care?
But, you say he has to work a good match and perform well...so...I guess this paragraph is useless.

Oh, I can. He's a great wrestler, plays a great character, and is 100% risk free. What more do you want, exactly?
But, he isn't a great wrestler and doesn't play a great character. So, you can see where the confusion is.

Let's put it this way. If he was great like you say, how come he toiled in the midcard on Raw?

I beg to differ. His skills are damn fine - he can wrestle anyone to a good match, and produce a great one with many.
When he does, then let me know.

He CAN...but hasn't. Right?

Good point. I'm sure in those three long months he's been on Smackdown, his abilities have increased tenfold. :rolleyes:

His abilities haven't increased tenfold, but his chance to showcase them has. He's given the chance to work with some of the best in the business, which is a sight better than what he was working with on Raw - and hell, even on Raw, he was doing fine. His SummerSlam match with JBL is good, if you're not a blind JBL hater, and his cage match with Jericho is good.

I agree. I use the "regardless of whether he's my favorite wrestler" formula. You should try it.

:lmao:

My favorite wrestler? You go ahead and remind me where I said that, because I don't remember it. If you really have to know, my favorite wrestler is Bryan Danielson, and while I'm sure you have your opinions on that, that's a different discussion.

Well, I'll check them out sometime.

Do so.

But, I won't hold my breath.

Do so.

Especially since this is the very first time I've heard of them,

Ah, so ignorance is an argument now? I'll inform the presses.

and you've already admitted to being a huge Punk fan.

What I've said is that I'll defend Punk come hell or high water, because I respect him and am weekly, very entertained by him. Huge Punk fan is not anything I've claimed to be.

Doesn't matter if they notice it or not, it draws from the quality of the match. Quality can be decreased, regardless if fans realize it or not.

You can watch a match to criticize it or you can watch a match to enjoy it. Most people are going to go the latter route, and those people would tell you Punk's selling is just fine.

Unbelievable, dependent upon his opponent, and at times, just completely ridiculous. Not to mention, poor execution.

And you've noticed this during all the Punk matches you haven't watched, have you?

Yes, but they don't take their entire moveset. See the difference?

So a guy needs a vast, unique moveset to be a good wrestler?

No, he didn't. Choshu popularized the Standing Grapevine Leglock (or, Scorpion Deathlock). Konnan taught Hart the Scorpion Deathlock. Hart adapted the move into his Sharpshooter.

See, Hart did what Punk won't. Take an existing move, and adapt it to better fit his character.

I've just reviewed videos of Choshu and Hart doing the move, and it's the same thing.

But, you say he has to work a good match and perform well...so...I guess this paragraph is useless.

But, he isn't a great wrestler and doesn't play a great character. So, you can see where the confusion is.

Well, I gave you a list of good matches where he performs well, which you haven't seen. But no, I can totally respect your opinion on the subject.

Let's put it this way. If he was great like you say, how come he toiled in the midcard on Raw?

Lack of anything good to work with? At his height, Shawn and Jericho were completely occupied with one another, and Orton and Cena were both out. It left Batista and JBL, the both of whom are decent, but not easy for a guy to break into the main event with. Throw in the fact that his feuds with them were half assed and featured one good promo between the two, and that when Jericho and Shawn were finally close to being free, they took the title off of him and pushed Orton and Cena ahead of him, you can see why he was in the midcard.

When he does, then let me know.

You've got a list.

He CAN...but hasn't. Right?

Wrong.

Reactions: X
I guess they want Punk to succeed so much is that because he is reliable in the ring and is drug-free which is what Vince needs at this time and age.
I believe the reason Punk didn't succeed much on RAW is because of who was there and I don't mean booking.

You had Cena, Kane, Batista, and JBL - mainly power guys. It was stupid to think that Punk could go over every one of them and he did defeat JBL cleanly in a decent match at Summerslam. On Smackdown, you have more guys that compliment Punk's style in Hardy, Jericho, and Morrison. I believe he is more comfortable over there because there are not any guys over there that you think Punk can't go over and that includes the Undertaker.

He is also good on the mic and he doesn't seem to force it like most do; he just let it flows naturally. I'm liking the tweener role he's currently in but it may turn to full-blown heel pretty quickly and we will see how he fares from that point on.

It's clearly an obvious answer - the PG rating.

Punk wasn't around when tits and ass was selling merchandise. Punk wasn't around when blood and gore was selling pay-per-views. Punk wasn't around when beer and cursing was increasing ratings.

Punk is everything the WWF / WWE didn't use to be, but is everything the WWE wants to become - at least in Vince's opinion (I think).

Cena is much the same. Sure, he was there during all the aforementioned scenarios for a few years, but his gimmick was totally revamped and most people forget the asshole, rapper, mean streets of Massachusetts gimmick he started with.

Cena is the clean cut, charming, great smile, farmboy type guy that parents allow their kid to like.

Punk is the grungy, charming, great smile, street type guy that teenagers allow themselves to like - but he doesn't do drugs or drink - alledgedly !!

The marketing possibilities for both Cena and Punk and endless when it comes to mainstream media exposure, so why not allow both of them to succeed heavily ??

His abilities haven't increased tenfold, but his chance to showcase them has. He's given the chance to work with some of the best in the business, which is a sight better than what he was working with on Raw - and hell, even on Raw, he was doing fine. His SummerSlam match with JBL is good, if you're not a blind JBL hater, and his cage match with Jericho is good.
His SummerSlam match with JBL was good?

If you thought that was good, then I have no use for your opinion on quality.

:lmao:

My favorite wrestler? You go ahead and remind me where I said that, because I don't remember it. If you really have to know, my favorite wrestler is Bryan Danielson, and while I'm sure you have your opinions on that, that's a different discussion.
Your right...I'm sure you don't like CM Punk at all, and thus, are defending him because you hate him. Makes sense...

Link me.

Ah, so ignorance is an argument now? I'll inform the presses.
It's not ignorance, it's a lack of talk. Any good match gets talked about. Hell, people still talk about HBK vs. Undertaker from Wrestlemania 25. So why is it I haven't heard those matches being good, when they all happened recently?

You can watch a match to criticize it or you can watch a match to enjoy it. Most people are going to go the latter route, and those people would tell you Punk's selling is just fine.
And you can watch a match to be entertained, and then notice how much the match isn't entertaining you. And when you look to figure out why, you'll notice the lack of realism in the selling, and how Punk seems to not be consistent.

And you've noticed this during all the Punk matches you haven't watched, have you?
Oh, I see. So now that Punk is on Smackdown, he's been able to showcase his selling a lot more right? Because selling is only something you do when you're on Smackdown.

So a guy needs a vast, unique moveset to be a good wrestler?
Who the fuck said that? I just said that he should try not stealing signature moves from everyone and making a moveset out of it.

I've just reviewed videos of Choshu and Hart doing the move, and it's the same thing.
Then you're saying the Scorpion Deathlock and the Sharpshooter are the same moves...and they're not. They're executed differently, and hurt differently.

It's not the same move. But, even if it was, Hart didn't steal his entire moveset from Choshu...see the difference?

Well, I gave you a list of good matches where he performs well, which you haven't seen. But no, I can totally respect your opinion on the subject.
Yeah, that's a good point. He's worked in the WWE for 2 and a half years, but now in the last three months, he's suddenly blossomed into a great wrestler. That makes a lot of sense.

Lack of anything good to work with? At his height, Shawn and Jericho were completely occupied with one another, and Orton and Cena were both out. It left Batista and JBL, the both of whom are decent, but not easy for a guy to break into the main event with. Throw in the fact that his feuds with them were half assed and featured one good promo between the two, and that when Jericho and Shawn were finally close to being free, they took the title off of him and pushed Orton and Cena ahead of him, you can see why he was in the midcard.
Funny, I thought he was in the midcard because he sucked. Batista and JBL have both had good matches with plenty of guys...so why not Punk? Hell, Punk's style should work GREAT with those guys...but it didn't. Why?

Oh, but I'm not. Punk sucks. It's why the first two times he held a World title, ratings dropped. We'll see how this title reign ends.

I think if the WWE wanted Punk to succeed so badly they'd book him more strongly. As it is, I think they just use him as a belt holder and something to entertain themselves with when the talent pool is thin. Or even when it isn't, I suppose.

I'll take them giving Punk the world title on two separate occasions as proof they wanted him to succeed. Not so much the ECW. Though that probably shows that they were planning to use him in the future.

I'm going to have to look up how ratings dropped when Punk was champion. I trust the spreadsheets will provide the answers I seek.

Punk is easily the future of the company alongside Cena, and a handful of others. What are some of you smoking? lol. Look at the way he wrestles, and it is obvious he has a strong move arsenal. His timing in the ring is right on, and his finisher is one of the most believeable in the business today. Don't forget he has a strong list of other moves that are submission. I believe he has used the anaconda vise and won on WWE tv before.

In a weird way he is a slight comparison to Bret in his later years. different movesets, but typical move set up. Both had intriguing ways or patterns to set up their finale. Punk right now has the competitive rub that Bret always had, and when Bret was champion that "title" always meant something more than when with the person before his reign. I think we will be saying the same thing about Punk a few years from now.

He has a certain look to him as well, and his size will never be of question. His heart, and charisma will pull him through. Eventually down the line Punk will be the reason Cena turns heel. Punk will draw Cena so far past the line, even the fans will turn on him. Mark my words Cena v.s Punk is going to be the next big feud. Their characters are like water and oil. WWE is building Punk like this so that he is credible enough to fufill this prediction of mine.:one_samuria:

I agree that his overall reliability has a lot to do with it. There aren't gonna be any wellness policy issues, given his lifestyle and I think that's personally a good thing. After all, there's nothing wrong with having a little self-discipline. Might even rub off on some others, who knows?

Also, the guy is just really good in the ring. I've heard people bashing the shit out of him in the past, but the guy always puts on good solid matches with anyone he's in the ring with. Punk loves the business and he works his ass off. He's actually pretty decent on the mic, particularly being a guy that really hasn't had much of an opportunity to say much of anything since he's been in the WWE. A few promos here and there, but nothing extensive until recently.

Aside from that, the guy is also just kind of physically different from a lot of the big names in the past. While part of that can be contributed to the whole straight edge lifestyle, the guy also just doesn't really look like he spends a lot of time in the gym lifting weights. At least comparatively speaking. A LOT of big names on the WWE roster have been guys that you can tell definitely hit the weights. Punk looks rather normal, and you'd be surprised how something like that can also resonate well with audiences.

His SummerSlam match with JBL was good?

If you thought that was good, then I have no use for your opinion on quality.

And I have no use for your opinion on a wrestler you haven't even watched in his prime.

Your right...I'm sure you don't like CM Punk at all, and thus, are defending him because you hate him. Makes sense...

Did I SAY that? No - I believe I said I respect and enjoy Punk, but he's not my favorite.

It's not ignorance, it's a lack of talk. Any good match gets talked about. Hell, people still talk about HBK vs. Undertaker from Wrestlemania 25. So why is it I haven't heard those matches being good, when they all happened recently?

Hype automatically equals success? There's a popular opinion on the boards that HBK vs Taker is overrated, and meanwhile, the Mania Triple Threat got barely any talk, while it was a damn fine match.

And you can watch a match to be entertained, and then notice how much the match isn't entertaining you. And when you look to figure out why, you'll notice the lack of realism in the selling, and how Punk seems to not be consistent.

This is just going to be a circular argument, but I've never noticed Punk's selling detract from a match. Yeah, you're just going to say it's because I love him, and then I'll say it's because you don't...so on, so forth.

Oh, I see. So now that Punk is on Smackdown, he's been able to showcase his selling a lot more right? Because selling is only something you do when you're on Smackdown.

Are you just gonna nail this selling point into oblivion? I've clearly seen more Punk material than you have, and I've not noticed the lack of selling.

Who the fuck said that? I just said that he should try not stealing signature moves from everyone and making a moveset out of it.

Oh, come on, Sly, you strongly implied it.

Then you're saying the Scorpion Deathlock and the Sharpshooter are the same moves...and they're not. They're executed differently, and hurt differently.

It's not the same move. But, even if it was, Hart didn't steal his entire moveset from Choshu...see the difference?

Once again - if the moveset works, does it matter?

Yeah, that's a good point. He's worked in the WWE for 2 and a half years, but now in the last three months, he's suddenly blossomed into a great wrestler. That makes a lot of sense.

The fact of the matter is, he's been a solid wrestler his entire time in the WWE, and he's come into his prime since moving to SmackDown. Again, his series of title matches with Morrison and Miz on ECW, and even the Chavo matches, his IC matches with Regal, his cage match with Jericho...they're all good matches.

Funny, I thought he was in the midcard because he sucked. Batista and JBL have both had good matches with plenty of guys...so why not Punk? Hell, Punk's style should work GREAT with those guys...but it didn't. Why?

Because he had half assed feuds with them, which is creative dropping the ball - there was ONE good promo throughout the lot of it, the whiskey drinking contest, and you can't expect that to turn into good title matches.

Oh, but I'm not. Punk sucks. It's why the first two times he held a World title, ratings dropped. We'll see how this title reign ends.

So far as I know SmackDown ratings are consistent with what they were before Punk was champion, and may have even gone up, but it's not data I've reviewed extensively.

Everyone already touched on the main points why CM Punk was pushed, and obviously why any wrestler should be pushed, really.

But the most overall important factor, is reliability. Punk's outside the ring lifestyle gives the WWE a great guarantee that he won't bail them out with that Wellness violation crap. Not to mention Punk might be a little less injury prone because his lifestyle.

I also disagree with whoever said Punk was pushed solely because of the Parental Guidance rating. If this were PG or TV-14, I still think Punk would have been pushed. Yes, the attitude era had many instances of stimulated drug use time to time but that doesn't mean Punk gets held back. His reliability is still most valuable regardless of the image of the WWE.

I'd go with the whole "he's not getting pinched for steroids anytime soon" argument. Or DUIs, or getting fined for being in possession of crack. He's Cena, except for not as over or as entertaining.

There's the reliability perspective, then the fact that he's over. Don't ask me how. Don't ask me when. He just is. I mean, a guy has to be over if he can fuck Hardy over and still be able to talk himself out of being heel. Either that, or he sucks harder than I thought he did. That's always a possibility.

I, for one, can't get into his matches. It's nothing but a lot of kicks. Then he does a bulldog, then he does the GTS. I would never dog a person for having a smaller moveset, especially when they're in the main-event, but damn. His moveset just seems really unbelievable when you want him to take people like Umaga or Batista or Big Show.

However, just because I'm not into him doesn't mean he's not good. He has that crowd behind him. I would say that he sucks at his heel turn, but they've gotta be keeping him from going full on heel until they know if Hardy is staying or going. Wait until they let him jump into the turn full on, then I'll tell you if he sucks at being a heel or not.

I honestly have no answer to the question asked in this thread. People can talk about reliability all they want, but, in the end, I think this all boils down to having no one else to go to that has some main-event experience and that hasn't already been exhausted as a main-event player. Strangely enough, going to someone with main-event experience (no matter how poorly they performed) seems to be the strategy adopted by most large corporations and sports franchises (except, instead of wrestlers with main-event experience, they obviously hire, respectively, CEOs and Head Coaches with previous experience in those positions). I'm not sure why corporations and sports franchises do this, but I think it is a totally unnecessary and asinine strategy for WWE.

My point is this: Punk failed this previous year; I'm not going to argue about whose fault this was, but the fact still remains that Punk flopped big in any role he was put into prior to this Championship reign. And, I don't think it can really be argued that he's done well so far, as no one really watches SmackDown! If WWE wants this program to succeed, despite being aired on a dead-end network at a horrible time, then Punk was the last person they should have sent there, as it just reinforces the belief that SmackDown! is the place where aging stars and RAW rejects go to.

I don't think anyone in the WWE is considered an anything reject, unless they're coming out of TNA or something. I mean, you could call the likes of Randy Orton and The Big Show "SmackDown rejects". They were both on SmackDown at some point and neither did anything immensely memorable. Well, Big Show did have one of the most instantly forgettable semi-main events ever. Sorry Harthan.

Punk winning the Money in the Bank briefcase and then (kayfabe) being randomly drafted to SmackDown certainly doesn't make him look like a Raw reject.

I don't think anyone in the WWE is considered an anything reject, unless they're coming out of TNA or something. I mean, you could call the likes of Randy Orton and The Big Show "SmackDown rejects". They were both on SmackDown at some point and neither did anything immensely memorable. Well, Big Show did have one of the most instantly forgettable semi-main events ever. Sorry Harthan.

Punk winning the Money in the Bank briefcase and then (kayfabe) being randomly drafted to SmackDown certainly doesn't make him look like a Raw reject.

SmackDown! wasn't on mynetworkTV at this time. The show still aired on The CW, which is considered a major network here in the United States. This year, SmackDown! got five wrestlers in the televised draft:

1) Kane - What purpose did he serve on RAW after being drafted from ECW last year? None that I can remember, except to job to Rey Mysterio a few times in a horrible storyline. He doesn't really fit into the plans of RAW, so he goes.

2) Melina - Sorry to be harsh here, but she's a butterface who nobody gives a shit about (great wrestler though). Even though she was Women's Champion at the time, she was the most expendable Diva on RAW.

3) Chris Jericho - Had an excellent year in 2008. Everyone on the boards here were raving about how much Jericho had matured and transitioned into one of the greatest heels of this decade. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like non-IWC members agreed with us. After being jobbed out to Cena after his return from surgery, he's entered into a Wrestlemania storyline with Mickey Rourke that seems like it will turn to crap once Rourke backs out of actually wrestling Jericho. And, save for the surprise of Steamboat, this match was horrible. I think it's pretty clear that once you're entered into a match that involves a B-list celebrity or athlete, the show you wrestle for doesn't have much left for you.

4) CM Punk - If ratings really do matter to The Vince, then this man was a parasite to them when he was champion. So, they send him to the show on the station where everything is syndicated but the show itself.

5) Rey Mysterio - The one wrestler that can't be explained away. He's a draw, and definitely not a reject.

So, I'll rephrase what I said beforehand, and say that the wrestlers that were sent to SmackDown! this year, for the most part, either had lost their touch with the mainstream or just flat out don't appeal to a mass audience. Maybe Vince McMahon is trying to groom Punk to come back over to RAW. But, I definitely believe that he was sent to SmackDown! because The Vince currently wants him nowhere near his flagship show.

Well, that seems to imply that Vince either has no faith in Punk, thinks very little of SmackDown or both. You know, seeing as how Punk has the world title over on SmackDown.

I'd personally like to think that Vince does have faith in Punk and thinks better of SmackDown than a place to groom the youngsters - I thought that was what ECW was for anyway. I don't think Vince is grooming Punk to come back over to Raw at some point; there'd be little use for him among the Ortons, Cenas, Batistas and Triple Hs. It seems more likely to me that Punk's purpose on SmackDown is to be as successful a world champion as he can be. I don't think there's an alterior motive.

As it is, I like Punk. I have no problem with him - what was it? - "stealing his entire moveset from the Japanese". I couldn't care less about the WWE's ratings as long as they're keeping me entertained. I'm sure they'd like to do more than just keep make me happy, but hey, that's their problem. I think he's more than compotent on the microphone and I think that his current storyline resembles something that could at times be described as fresh and interesting.

I like second chances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back