• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why do they call it the "Shawn Michaels rule"?

TheICChampion

The hardcore casual fan
You know the whole rule in the Royal Rumble and in Battle Royales where they say that both feet have to touch the floor when you get eliminated? I remember hearing the commentators (or someone else on one of the specials on WWE Network) calling it the "Shawn Michaels rule" before. My question is, why? Sure, he was probably the first one that was thought to be eliminated when he went over the top rope but only one of his feet touched the floor, but I distinctly remember them mentioning that both feet had to hit the floor in order to be eliminated in the Royal Rumble matches both in and prior to 1995. So why is it called the "Shawn Michaels rule"?

Its not a big deal right now. Because the WWE announcing Royal Rumble by saying that a person gets eliminated only with his both feet touching the floor. So I don't mind that too much tbh

Cheers!!

Didn't Shawn win a RR with one foot on the floor?

If so the reason he won was because of that very rule, good enough reason to name it after him.

Personally I thought the Shawn Michaels rule was "Don't put anyone over, don't drop the title in the ring"

It's called that because he was the guy that made it possible. Because of his one foot touching the floor, they made the declaration that to be eliminated, both feet had to touch, thus it became the Shawn Michaels rule. Much like in he NFL, when they introduced the Tuck grille in determining a fumble or incomplete pass, it is referenced as the Tom Brady rule because it was established on a play involving him.

I also assumed the HBK incident was a bit of a botch. While skinning the cat he went a bit to far let a foot slip. Over explaining the two foot rule was a tactic to clear up the issue.

Nooo, no, no goddamn no. All of you have it all fucked up.

The both feet touching the floor rule was always in effect, in every royal rumble. However, it never came into play until the 1995 Royal Rumble.

HBK came in at number 1, and British Bulldog at number 2.

Both men lasted the entire rumble, with Bulldog tossing HBK over the ropes in the end, for the heroic, never-done-before victory.

However, HBK dashes back into the ring, and knocks bulldog out!

Upon replay, it was found that only ONE of HBK's feet had touched, not both, thus, he was never eliminated. This occurred BECAUSE the "two feet" rule was already in place, this event did not set the precedent for it.

Its called the HBK rule because it was the first notable incident were the rule came into play.

and you can see this play out on the 1995 Royal Rumble, on the WWE Network, for 9.99.

@MightNorCal, It seems like most everyone understands the rule was always in place. It is and has been the standard for battle royal matches. The rule was just brought to prominence during the HBK incident.

I took it as he understood the rule existed before because he compared it to the the Tuck Rule. Unless I am way off and people actually think that rule was made up on the spot to protect Brady. There are a massive amount of Brady/Pats haters so that very well could be the case.

I loves (I think 96) when Lawler was thrown out and hopped about resulting in someone (probably Bret) kicking him in the shin causing both feet to go on the floor.

Didn't it happen to The Rock as well in the '99 Rumble... out of curiosity.

No, Rock was never entered in the '99 Rumble match. He won the title from Mankind in the 'I Quit' match earlier that night. It MIGHT have been 1998 but I don't think there was ever any doubt The Rock was eliminated.

No, Rock was never entered in the '99 Rumble match. He won the title from Mankind in the 'I Quit' match earlier that night. It MIGHT have been 1998 but I don't think there was ever any doubt The Rock was eliminated.

In that case, it was 2000, which is what I think I meant to say in the first place. The one where he and Big Show finish.

I feel like the whole "Shawn Michaels rule" is an outdated concept. Does it mean that a wrestler could just land on 1 foot and then hop around on 1 foot until he reaches the side of the ring or the steel steps?

I feel like the whole "Shawn Michaels rule" is an outdated concept. Does it mean that a wrestler could just land on 1 foot and then hop around on 1 foot until he reaches the side of the ring or the steel steps?

Yes.

Funnily enough - not that it would have made one iota of difference - in the first Royal Rambo, Ventura on commentary says verbatim "it doesn't matter where your feet hit" and that simply going over the top rope was enough to constitute elimination. On later editions, before the Michaels/Bulldog bit (which made me so mad as a Bulldog fan), Fink would go to GREAT lengths to stress that BOTH feet must hit the floor.

Nooo, no, no goddamn no. All of you have it all fucked up.

The both feet touching the floor rule was always in effect, in every royal rumble. However, it never came into play until the 1995 Royal Rumble.

HBK came in at number 1, and British Bulldog at number 2.

Both men lasted the entire rumble, with Bulldog tossing HBK over the ropes in the end, for the heroic, never-done-before victory.

However, HBK dashes back into the ring, and knocks bulldog out!

Upon replay, it was found that only ONE of HBK's feet had touched, not both, thus, he was never eliminated. This occurred BECAUSE the "two feet" rule was already in place, this event did not set the precedent for it.

Its called the HBK rule because it was the first notable incident were the rule came into play.

and you can see this play out on the 1995 Royal Rumble, on the WWE Network, for 9.99.

Jesus Christ...end of thread!

Next thread, please

Move along

A person only two posts above mine did not seem to grasp that at all, sir.

I am very much aware of the rules. If you actually paid attention to what I said, I said that it was because of HBK that the two feet must touch rule was emphasised. It's the Shawn Michaels rule because it was emphasised with him, much like the Tuck rule was emphasised with Brady. I did not say the rule was invented because of HBK, only that it was put in the spotlight because it happened with him.

Yes. See Lee's post above about Jerry Lawler or look at some of the stunts Kofi has pulled during the Rumble where technically his feet don't hit the ground. Steps and I believe the barricade one year came into play but not the ground. Also I think Kofi one year walked on his hands but since his feet never touched he was still in.

There has also been at least on instance, that might have actually been Shawn too, where a bodyguard or tag team member has caught the person being thrown over and put them back in the ring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back