Whose Voice do you Want?

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
I was thinking in the car today (which, by the way, is where I derive almost 70% of my thread ideas. I also get 20% in the shower and 10% on the shitter), and I had to ask myself this question...

If you could have the singing voice of one rock or rap artist, who would it be?

I settled on Steven Perry. For those of you with zero knowledge of music, he was the lead singer of Journey.

His range is amazing. He hits high notes with power and he can go up a ways before he taps into falsetto. His voice control is also such that so few have ever seen in rock music before. He's also a terrific live front-man.

Let's start here, with the one song that EVERYBODY, no matter who you are or what your deal, is cheered up by. It makes everybody smile, and almost everybody rock out:

[youtube]barLaHrtvoM[/youtube]

And the song I STILL think they don't get enough credit for...

[youtube]h-EYS1LV10o[/youtube]

Listen to how powerful Perry's voice is on this song. This is in the middle of a live show in Japan.

From the same tour, maybe my favorite Journey song ever, side from the two I've aleady mentioned:

[youtube]qx2BQ3GEfRA[/youtube]

And finally, a classic from Perry's solo work:

[youtube]te1CVVlaJzA[/youtube]

In 2nd place for me would be Sebastian Bach from Sid Row. He also played the lead on Broadway in "Jeckyl & Hyde." But it's Steve Perry for me.

Phil Labonte. He's the lead singer of All That Remains, and is one of the best screamers out there right now. He's also got a decent set of pipes for his clean vocals, and he's amazing live. Watching the band live, you'd think you're listening to him on CD.

I would have said Maria, but, I'm a dude, and she's clearly not.

Nice thread idea IC, I approve.

I would definitely choose Krayzie Bone for this. Yes I know, homerism at it's finest and all, sue me I could care less. The reason being though, Krayzie has such an assortment of vocal abilities that can cover just about any type of song. He can rap ridiculously fast, he can slow it down to a more mellow song, move to a more vicious deeper tone, and above all he can harmonize. Now when I say harmonize, it's not exactly singing but it's similar. It's that kind of Gospel choir style that he uses to harmonize either with others or with himself with track editing. His vocals are clear and crisp, and never sounds like he is mumbling. For the range he has in hip hop, I have to go with Krayzie.

Nice thread idea IC, I approve.

The reason being though, Krayzie has such an assortment of vocal abilities that can cover just about any type of song. He can rap ridiculously fast, he can slow it down to a more mellow song, move to a more vicious deeper tone, and above all he can harmonize. Now when I say harmonize, it's not exactly singing but it's similar.

I feel that way abou Busta Rhymes and also the guys from Bone Thugz N Harmony. With Busta, the first time I heard "Break Ya Neck" I was floored. THe guy can flat out move. He has that gravelly, very raw voice that I like in music - he has it in rap like Bryan Adams has it in Rock. I haven't heard much of Busta singing, though.

I have to check this guy Krayzie out...

Steven Perry would be cool, his voice is noticable no whatter what. Phil Labonte on the other hand, not so much. Yeah sure, maybe he can scream alright, but his singing voice doesnt have any depth or range....its basically monotone.

So, im gonna have to go with Mikael Akerfeldt of the band Opeth. This guy is a pure mastermind when it comes to vocal work. Just check out the song "The Lotus Eater" for your proof. He can Scream, Growl and also sing with the most beautiful tones. He really is a god amongst vocalists in this day and age, there isnt any other like him.
[YOUTUBE]aSSLXMzxxP8[/YOUTUBE]

My second choice would be Travis Ryan from the band Cattle Decapitation. This guy makes sounds I never thought a human could make. Its awesome and wicked creepy. Check it out!
[YOUTUBE]FXnfF1QIVuQ[/YOUTUBE]

I feel that way abou Busta Rhymes and also the guys from Bone Thugz N Harmony. With Busta, the first time I heard "Break Ya Neck" I was floored. THe guy can flat out move. He has that gravelly, very raw voice that I like in music - he has it in rap like Bryan Adams has it in Rock. I haven't heard much of Busta singing, though.

I have to check this guy Krayzie out...

Luckily for you IC, Krayzie Bone IS in fact part of Bone Thugs-n-Harmony. Busta meanwhile, he's just as fast as Bone Thugs are when Busta was doing his old style. He's mellowed his music out quite a bit and he doesn't throw his speed in there quite as much. Regardless he's a very versatile rapper in his own right.

To set you off with some Krayzie Bone:

[YOUTUBE]LiF5PrMJEDU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]wKgidyBncZI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]t4PKHkQ2_O0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]YPYd25FW-68[/YOUTUBE]

And that's just a very small sampling. There's quite a bit out there, just check Youtube out. But if you know Bone you have a pretty clear idea what kind of style he uses.

Who's voice would I like? Simple. I would kill for the ethereal vocals of one Toki Wartooth. Sorry, even I couldn't say that with a straight face!!!:lmao:

No, if I'm being totally honest, I'd go with one of two guys. The first being Eddie Vedder. Now, I'm not talking about the same voice he uses with Pearl Jam, though I love that one as well. Indeed, I'm referring to his vocals from the Into the Wild original soundtrack. He's got a much different sound, when he doesn't have to worry about competing with the rest of the band, or yelling. Don't get me wrong, I still love Pearl Jam, but that's another discussion, for another time.

My other option is Steve Perry. I know, it sounds like I'm ripping off IC and a few others. Fear not, I don't mean that Steve Perry. No, no. I'm, of course, thinking of the lead singer from the Cherry Poppin' Daddies. Am I wrong in thinking the guys got the golden pipes? I didn't think so. Also, it certainly doesn't hurt that the Daddies are my second favorite Swing Revival band, barely narrowed out by the Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. Again, I digress.

So, those are the two voices I'd love to have. Here are some honorable mentions:

Edwin McCain- The guy can sing like nobodies business, and he includes the tenor sax in most of his cuts.

Toby Mac- Say what you will about the content of his songs (for the non-believers) but when he's singing an old school hymn, he's got the voice of an angel.

Hank Williams- I've always been a sucker for his wavering vocals. So soulful, and honest.

Very Good Question, and it actually took me a while to come to this idea. But if I could have any voice at all, I'd have go with Brandon Flowers of The Killers. Something about his voice is just great for me, and it all boils down to the following:

A. The Accent.

I don't know why, but the Scottish-Lithuanian mixture just really works for me to have as a voice. He doesn't particularly sound Scottish at all, but he definitely has some type of funky thing going with the accent he has. It's just something I never heard of before, yet it's really so good. His inflections help his voice let out this different sound to it. And let's face it, accents are always pretty cool.

B. The Vocal Range

Thus guy can out so much bass into his voice, and he could also scream out to his lungs at a pretty high range. Whatever he does to clear his throat, it really works very well. Perfect Example of this comes in the Song, "All These Things I've Done". Just listen to the balance he finds, and the vocals he can produce, just by his vocal range.

[YOUTUBE]sZTpLvsYYHw[/YOUTUBE]

again, so high and so low, and he never keeps it at one pitch.

C. Emotion

the guy puts so much emotion into his songs. He's able to belt out so much feeling and emphasis into his songs, that it pulls you into his music. It puts you into his mind, and makes you feel as though you're getting emotionally attached into his songs. And while that may not be a complete voice thing, it definitely has to do with some part of his vocal chords. Just listen to the beauty behind "Read My Mind"

[YOUTUBE]3Oec8RuwVVs[/YOUTUBE]

so yeah, totally going with Brandon Flowers here.

Shockingly, I'm gonna go with Matt Bellamy on this one. In my opinion, he is one of the greatest singers of the 21st century His voice is so smooth yet powerful, like a good alcohol. His versatility is amazing too, he can do a low growl, scream a bit or hit high notes that the rest of us can't imagine hitting.

He has incredible control over his voice:

[youtube]nJyWvT_pZAE[/youtube]

And has one of the most magnificent falsettos of all time:

[youtube]FRIHvrQW70o&feature=related[/youtube]

In my eyes, he's pretty much the perfect singer. I'd be incredibly lucky if I had his voice.

I found it hard to settle between a more melodic style, like Brent Smith from Shinedown...or a hardcore, screaming style found in most metal bands.

So I decided I wish I could sound like Spencer Chamberlain from UnderOATH. He has a nice range and can sing either a clean, melodic style, or let it all out with some awesome screaming. To me, it just sounds like he is putting it all into it, yet he seemingly effortlessly transitions from normal to scream in mid-line.

A good example is the song below.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ra-qxpkFzws&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ra-qxpkFzws&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

its simple.... Steven Tyler. his voice and range is just spectacular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEbMbAuAgmU

here's the live version..... now this guy can sing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkVqjiBagjQ

you can hear his range here. I can not think of anyone that can go higher right now. and who doesn't want the voice of Elvis? seriously there hasn't been anyone remotely close to what The King can do

Love me Tender
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FHBogPLe9g

and another Elvis. this time its Can't Help Falling in Love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V430M59Yn8

sorry for not hot linking guys but I guess since its Elvis and Aerosmith Youshit doesn't want you to link to them

Steve Perry. That guy is a panty dropper. His voice makes Journey what it is. I know Neal Schon is the primary guy, but Steve Perry is a unique individual and his voice was so unique and to me, if I had his voice or anything similar, I'd be a rich man. I'd love to sing, but simply can't. It's frustrating. But with Steve Perry's voice, anyone can sing and be a hit maker. He's that unique and that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back