• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who will be the man to beat the man and get number 17

Jtrivera

Occasional Pre-Show
Ok, the title says it all I'm obviously talking about ric flairs historic 16 title reigns as world champion. No man has climbed such a big mountain. My question is, with so many up coming wrestlers who still have years left in there career who will be the one to hold 17 titles? In my opinion it has to be cena or triple h, seeing on how triple h is headed for retirement then that levels it out to just cena, give me a bigger name then him as of right now hes the top face of the company with alot of title reigns like 11 or something like that. Who do you think it will be?

I think if anyone in WWE will get, it very well could be John Cena.

Triple H may be at 13 but with a lot of reports saying he could be hanging up the boots soon, I don't know if Triple H will get another 4 reigns in the next year or so.

John Cena is still young and he has I think 9 WWE/World Championships to his name, he's the man in WWE and could very well take the record I think. He's definately got the best shot out of everyone. Randy wont do it and Edge won't do it as he's also apparantly on the tail end of his career.

In 6 years John Cena has won 9 titles. He is 33 right now. So if anyone maybe him. Or even Randy Orton who is 30 and a 7 time champion.

Unless WWE creates a new top face or something and they end up under 16 reigns.

However, Sting is the most likely candidate since TNA would give them the title anytime. He is sitting at 14 (if you count the WWA title, which I don't).

Way to ruin the classic Flair quote.

Anyways, Flair has technically won 21 depending on who you ask. But WWE, TNA, and PWI all consider him 16 so we'll go with it.

And I agree with the other posters. Cena seems like a logical choice due to his age and how much fire he still has behind him.

Another guy I would consider is Edge. With how short his reigns usually are, and how fast he gains them back, I wouldn't be shocked that he'd be a 15 time World Champion before he retires. He won the title about 10 months after Cena did, and he has 11 reigns. But look at how many of them were less than a month or two.

I'd have to say Edge. what's he on, 11 or 12?
Although there's been speculation of him retiring once his contract comes up, I can't see that happening.

Plus, do you ever picture Edge slipping to the mid-card? I can't, he'll always be in the title mix.

Personally, I hope no-one gets it. They should let The Nature Boy should hang onto it.

I think it has to be Cena. Triple H is at 13 but rumours are he's retiring next year so the farthest he could go is 14-15. Not more. Edge has 11 and though his reigns are short (as the above poster said) I don't see him winning any more titles. He could go to 12. Cena is young and he's the face of the WWE. He already has 9 titles to his name. So he could easily go past Flair in 7-8 years. Another guy is Orton. But I don't think he'll do it coz he'll always play second fiddle to Cena and Vinnie wouldn't allow him to get past Flair's record. Now, that's what I think.

Didn't we have a thread exactly like this a couple of weeks ago?

I would have to give the same answer as I did then and say John Cena has to be the logical choice. He is the poster boy, the face of the company and at 33 has more than enough time to reach 17 reigns. He will have 10 by the end of Wrestlemania

In the past I would have said HHH, it looked like he was a dead cert, but now that looks unlikely. Orton is another who could make a claim to be a possiblity, and Edge (although I doubt WWE will want Edge as their most decorated world champion in history)

Honestly i would like to see someone break the record cause i hate Flair but its not that big of a deal to me, cause if you think about it, if you win the world title 17 times. Then means you lost it 16 times, not that impressive in my eyes. If i had to choose i Say John Cena breaks it or Kurt Angle. Randy Orton is a big possibility also.

it seems that every main eventer nowadays is a ten time champion, so it doesnt seem like alot of title reigns is a big deal anymore, when it was so much different just afew years ago. and isnt jerry lawler like a 50 time champion? obviously not all world title but im sure a good chunk of them all i just dont think they ever talk about it because he didnt win them in the wwf. but i think think that since there are so many people with 9 or more title reigns, creative is going to make it so that every main eventer with all those title reigns get tied at 15 or 16 and they have a 'race' to see who will become a 17 time world champion first, i know thats stupid but 5 people on the roster being 10 time champions is a joke so thats all i could come up with

I dont want to be a buzzkill but I think kevin nash has like 20 world title reigns from a mixture of many companies. I'm not sure but i was watching a interview of him and he says that. But, if he hasnt im going to say Randy Orton, he has 7 title runs already and hes just 30. I would be surprised either if he hits 10 before the end of the year! I reckon he will reach 16 before he even turns 35, I just dont see him going down to the midcard of being to far away from the WWE championship very often.

I don't understand the fascination of "Winning the Title 17 Times", that means a person LOST it 16 times.

Shouldn't the fascination be on who holds on to the title the longest?
Just sayin'...

Anyways, I think WWE should have someone else take that honor from Flair. I never cared for Flair and even less now that he jumped to TNA.

Cena seems like the most likely candidate right now.

just like Decarow said way to ruin a classic flair quote. Yes we all know Flair is a 16 time Champion but that means he lost it 16 times. Why does someone have to so quickly break it? Just because it was not a complete WWE idea does not make it bad. And just to throw in my idea...I think Orton will be the one... But Flair is the man and always will be.

Ooooo Noooooo he did the Flair quote wrong... lets all shit on him for it, hold hands and cry...

Anyway...

It's probably going to be Cena. The titles just switch hands faster and faster with the new exception of Miz's title reign and Cena is the face of the company and will be for more years to come. He loves the company and seems dedicated beyond belief. He will probably break the record.

No one should do it. No one will do it.

Why do you think that? Please explain?

Why should Ric Flair always be the man who held the belt the most times? I am not saying I want someone else to break the record btw.

If Cena is in the WWE for another 10 years and reaches 16 reigns also, should Vince say "John, I know you aren't going to retire, you are still our top guy....but you can't have another title reign ever!"

Will not happen. I do not see any reason why WWE would not let a top guy beat the record, it isnt like Flair spent alot of his career in the WWE is it?

Jerry Lawler is like a 150 time champion or something ridiculous like that, so I think he's beaten it already in that respect.
As for modern day, if Cena doesn't do it I'll be surprised, as someone already said he'll win the title at Mania and that'll be his 10th.
HHH I could've sworn would've been the man to do it but that probably won't happen unless he decides to have a terrifying part 2 to his "Reign Of Terror" era.

Flair doesn't deserve that credibility after jumping ship to TNA, had he stayed even Vince might've had the respect to let it sit for a while.

For people saying Flair doesn't deserve the honor because he went to TNA, you need to realize this isn't the most world titles with WWE, it's the most in all of wrestling.

Also, even if somebody from WWE breaks this record, it's watered down. For decades, there was one world champion. Which meant you were the top dog of the company. Now there are two. Twice as many title reigns are possible. It's actually kinda disappointing that there really isn't one champion for the whole company right now.

Like someone posted before, Edge's title reigns are a joke. Even on this current one, it counts as 2 because Ziggler "won" the belt for a day, and Edge got it right back.

The number 17 shouldn't be the goal. Somebody should be trying to hold the belt for the longest reign ever.

I seriously think this is Orton's record to beat, how fitting would it be if the youngest member of Evolution was able to surpass the oldest member of Evolution's record by becoming a 17-time World Champion. Just like Edge, Orton also usually has short reigns so I can see him climbing the charts fairly quickly and surpassing Cena in title reigns and eventually getting #17. He's on that 10 year contract

I hate to be this guy but in order to beat the record set by Ric Flair you have to win the world title from 3 different companys. Flair won the NWA, WWE, and WCW world titles. Now because there aren't 3 major wrestling companies anymore its the World Heavyweight, WWE World title, and TNA world title. The only person i can doing that is either Sting or Kurt Angle in TNA. Sting is currently at 11 world title reigns and Kurt Angel is a 14 time world champion.

It really doesn't matter to me one way or the other who it is. Titles don't mean what they used to mean. I remember Bob Backlund and Bruno holding it for years. Same with Hogan. It used to be that somebody repeating was news and a 3-peat was "front page" quality. Now no matter what the number is it's sunk to "no never mind" and the belts are near meaningless anymore. That women's division is a joke - a butterfly? It demeans every woman who honestly wrestled beforehand - Luna, Moolah, Medusa, Wendy Richter, Chyna, Trish, even Mae Young. Like anything else when it's too easy to come by it becomes more tarnish than silver - and it has.

I'm not sure that it'll happen with anyone currently in wrestling. I think the two likliest candidates right now could be John Cena and Randy Orton. They're both still quite young and have a lot of years left in their career and were multi-time World Champions before reaching the age of 30.

However, even if one of them or someone else winds up breaking Flair's 16 recognized World Championship reigns in WWE, it's not going to have quite the same impact as it once did. During Ric Flair's peak years in the 1980s, he was beyond a doubt the single biggest star in the NWA. He spent virtually the entire decade holding the NWA World Heavyweight Championship and it was during a time in which the champ wasn't often seen defending his title on television. A televised World Championship match in the 1980s was a rare happening and there were few ppvs at the time. Also house shows carried much more significance then than they do now because pro wrestling has so much regular exposure to large audiences on television. Or, at least WWE does.

All that did start to change during the 90s, however, as we all know. The days in which a World Champion held a title for years rather than months really began to go out of fashion. One of John Cena's WWE Championship reigns lasted for about 380 days as I recall and net fans were clamoring for someone new to have the title. Edge won his first WWE Championship less than 6 years ago and he's currently on his 11th World Championship reign. It just doesn't have quite the same oomph to it that it once did and I'd say that nostalgia for Ric Flair might have something to do with that viewpoint as well.

Also, in spite of what WWE recognizes, Ric Flair has actually had more than 20 World Championship runs rather than 16.

It depends if you mean only in WWE. If not it could be anybody Sting and Kurt Angle are really close to beating it, and with the other companies around the world that a lot of wrestlers to consider. If its only in WWE i would say Cena because besides HHH and Edge he is the closest with almost 10 world titles. By the way when i say almost 10 its because we don't know for sure that Cena is going to beat Miz. Its a strong possibility but hey you never know.

SORRY TO DISAPPOINT YOU PAL BUT FLAIR HAS WON AROUND 22 WORLD TITLES IN REALITY SO IS NOT 16, AND IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO BREAKS THE RECORD, NO BODY WILL EVER MATCH RIC FLAIR'S IMPACT AND GREATNESS IN WRESTLING, NOT EVEN IF SOMEONE WINS THE WORLD TITLE 30 TIMES, SO THAT IS FAR MORE IMPORTANT THAN BREAKING THE RECORD.

The number 17 shouldn't be the goal. Somebody should be trying to hold the belt for the longest reign ever.

To get the longest reign ever it'd have to be about a decade long reign. If you don't remember, Cena's year plus long reign pissed people off. Personally, I liked it. I like longish title reigns. At least 5-6 months. Somebody shouldn't win it at a PPV then not even be in the title picture at the next one or even the one after that. I believe that you can't build your character up as a champion without having the public see them as a champion for a while. These 1-2-3 month reigns aren't cutting it.

But 17 world titles is still pretty damn impressive. How many superstars have had over 10, compared to the guys who had less than 5?

SORRY TO DISAPPOINT YOU PAL BUT FLAIR HAS WON AROUND 22 WORLD TITLES IN REALITY SO IS NOT 16, AND IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO BREAKS THE RECORD, NO BODY WILL EVER MATCH RIC FLAIR'S IMPACT AND GREATNESS IN WRESTLING, NOT EVEN IF SOMEONE WINS THE WORLD TITLE 30 TIMES, SO THAT IS FAR MORE IMPORTANT THAN BREAKING THE RECORD.

Hey man, if you press "caps lock" again it'll turn it off. Just fixing your issue.

Seriously though. Those extra 6 title reigns aren't acknowledged by the wrestling historians. WWE, TNA, and PWI all cite that Flair has 16 world title reigns. Only Flair really calls himself a 22-time world champ.

I would have to say out of the current roster, John Cena has the best chance. He is still somewhat young and has quite a few years left in him. I just don't see Triple H having 4 more reigns before he retires.

Randy Orton could also have a pretty good shot at reaching 17.

Now, just because John Cena or Randy Orton have a chance at reaching 17 reigns and surpassing Ric Flair...I don't think they should. John Cena and Randy Orton are pretty good, but neither one of them is on the same level as the Nature Boy. Ric Flair is the man and will go down as one of the greatest wrestlers, if not the greatest wrestler, this business has ever seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back