• Raven

• Hashimoto

• Sting

• Anderson

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tenta

The Shark Should've Worked in WCW
Now, look, we all know that Jake Roberts invented The DDT. it's his move, and I'd never try to take credit away from that. It's probably my favorite move in the history of professional wrestling, and one that plenty of other people have used throughout their careers. Some have used different versions, some of have used one arm DDTs, some have done reverse DDTs. Whatever the case is, The DDT is one of the most known moves in wrestling history. But, it's now time to decide who was the master of the DDT.

You have plenty of choices, including;

Jake Roberts- Even though he won't get my vote, I still have to include him. He did in fact invent the move, by accident of course, because that'a just how Jake rolled. It proved to get the most popular with him, but again, I just didn't like his DDT compared to others we'll come to see. For example, how about his heir apparent in all possible ways.

Raven- A man who truly picked up the psychology of wrestling, as well as... Ahem... other things. Raven more or less jammed his opponent's head to the mat, as opposed to just stepping forward. It made the move look more impactful for me, and was something I was actually more scared of when Raven performed it.

Shinya Hashimoto- This one may be the smarks pick, as he did more of a jump to his DDT. Personally, I like that fact, as again, not only is someone being driven to the mat, but all of the weight of Hashimoto would also go down into the mat with his opponent. At the least, it looked the most painful, and one that I really can't deny the power of. Thus, I'd have to include him.

Sting- Now, he always performed more of a reverse DDT. I know what people will say, that it doesn't actually drive the head into the mat. well, fuck you, it's a damn DDT to me. Sting's was always more anticipated, as he usually hit on the clueless heel, which was always fun to watch. Hell, his hitting the reverse DDT from the top rope on The Giant may have actually been the most performance on my list...

Arn Anderson- But no list of DDT's is complete without Arn Anderson. He gets so much credit for his spinebuster, very few people ever remember his DDT. To me, it was always the besr DDT in the business. It was always crisp, and looked stiff as all fuck, but hearing from other people, Anderson was so gentle with it, it rarely ever hurt that badly. The way people used to sell that move made it look like death, and quite frankly, I can't blame them. Powerful as all fuck, Arn's gets the nod from me.

And, of course, there's always the "Others". I know I didn't include Tommy Dreamer, so rip me there. Hell, Goldust could be there, D-Von did a sort of DDT. But, to you, what was the best DDT in the business

Ravens got my vote.

Jake doing it was a mistake however he was very clumsy at it.. for one it was a mistake that he even created the move and two he almost seriously injured Ricky the Dragon while preforming the move...

Raven on the other hand has never actually been blamed for causing anyone harm while doing the move.. and he used to do it with the impact you said and was able to preform the move on a chair that was setup and still never hurt his opponent. I think for those reasons Ravens got my vote

Yeah Tommy Dreamer should be up there, because he's got my vote. Usually when he does it his opponents are on there head for like 3 seconds.

Raven Effect for me, Tenta. Next to the Game and Tommy, Raven did his with easily the most impact. It was just SNAP, and the match was over. Thus, it looked convincing enough for people to buy into, which is why he gets my vote.

Jake gets my vote and not just because he invented it. Jake whole matches were geared around the DDT, more so than any of the others on the list. I rate his execution of it level with Double A's version though.

The only reason I don't give it Arn is because it wasn't his sole finisher, he is more well known for his spinebuster but Arn's DDT was top notch.

I must have missed most of Raven's good DDTs even though I've watched my fair share of WWF,WCW and ECW as I think his DDT is very average, sometimes even as bad as JBL or Kane's.

As you have said in the beginning of this post Tenta, Jake Roberts invented the DDT. There have been many people that have attempted the move and they are all vicious in their own way, but Roberts made the move his own. His DDT was truly devastating, and no one got up from it. He gave Steamboat a DDT on the concrete floor that put him out of action for months. I will have to take a look at Hashimoto's DDT or even Anderson's DDT since I haven't seen Hashimoto before or since I haven't see an Arn Anderson DDT in a while. I just have to go with the innovator on this, Jake the Snake Roberts.

i think u have to add Edges ddt to this as well... is not my favorite but he needs mentioned.... and chavos tornado ddt back in his early days in wcw and wwf was pretty decent.... but my favorite goes to Dreamer.... in the ecw days.... no days a ddt just doesnt work for a finisher imo.... so my vote to dreamer with raven 2nd then roberts then anderson....

I would say the creator if the DDT would be the master of it. Jake Roberts created it, and used it as his finisher. If it weren't for him we probably would not see all the variations and uses of the DDT we see today. All the others you listed did use cool variations of the DDT and they were innovative for their time, but without Roberts creating the original move, would all those other famous superstars also use their famous DDT like finishers?

The DDT was invented, perfected, and promoted by Jake "The Snake" Roberts. Roberts built his entire game around that move. He didn't have any secondary finishing maneuvers. The DDT as executed by Jake Roberts was THE finisher for his matches. Only a handful of people EVER kicked out of a Jake Roberts DDT. Roberts would grab the head, plant it in the ground, and get the easy three. Roberts had the best DDT of all of the aforementioned wrestlers because it meant more when he hit it. Now, it's just another wrestling move, but back in its day, the DDT, as used by Roberts, was built and dramatized as lethal.

It's as Roberts so adequately put it in an interview. What does DDT stand for? "The End." Trust me.

If your talking about past wrestlers I would have to go with Raven's Evenflow DDT just because it looked to be a finishing manouver, however in the present day I would have to say Randy Ortons DDT from the middle rope as it just looks vicious.

Remember the rocks version...that was really good...real quick and he used to really jump up after it...

I also like Tommy Dreamers DDT..very good..the thing is, there are a lot of different names e.g. double underhook, double arm(foley), Implant, spike...so many great ones...but I have to go with the original man...

Jake Roberts...who accidentaly invented it...lol

Raven got my vote in your poll, however I've got to say that a bunch of other wrestlers tied for second (in my mind): Sting (love that you included him on this list, even if it is a "reverse ddt"), The Rock (always loved the way he did the move), and Mick Foley (double-arm ddt).

I know that Jeff Hardy doesn't use the move all the time, but this ddt was sick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clGthQZIg44

EDIT:

Have to agree with themegapowers' post, Orton's ddt from the second rope is pretty awesome too.

Id have to give my vote to Jake the Snake, he should gets tons of credit for inventing it, but I also like that little half step he doe as he delivers the ddt, visually it just gives the move just enough flair, not to much but not to little.

I also think Cody Rhodes deserves an honerable mention I thought he had one of the best ddts in the game, it was fast and the slight hook of the arm was a good touch, its a shame he didnt keep it as his finisher.

Jake The Snake - dunno if he was the innovator of it, i doubt it, but he sure as hell made it his own and made it look real and with the short arm clothesline leadup, it was a good finisher combo.

the rest are just descendants, though more impressive in appearance and probable damage. But Jake started it all :)

If Jake did nothing else in the business (well he also could cut an awesome promo), he got the DDT banned in the 80's LOL funny storyline that one

aa memories of a time when people didn't kick out of finishers more than once and could cut promo's that weren't boring.

One thing that should be mentioned is that the DDT is a move that can made look devastating or awful depending on the one taking it. The best DDTs always seem to be ones where the seller's whole body reacts. There are certain DDTs where the person getting it basically just does a somersault. That's not really the DDTer's fault. Some sellers stand straight up on their heads for a moment, bounce slightly, or sit up after the fact from the momentum. Those are generally the most impressive ones.

Sellers don't get enough credit sometimes.

Agreed with Jones. Selling is a huge aspect of wrestling that drastically changes how moves look. I.E. watch HHH sell a stunner, he kind of half-drops to his knees and falls over, versus RVD selling a stunner where he goes straight out in the air and folds up like an accordian.

Still, my pick goes to Jake Roberts, he made it look powerful but natural. It wasn't just a mid-match move when he did it. I think Hashimoto and Raven are both great choices too.

I got to admit, putting Sting on the list surprised me. However, Sting's Scorpion Deathdrop was pretty to watch. I enjoyed it when Sting reversed a surplex into a Scorpion Deathdrop. Jake The Snake is the master of the DDT, but for some reasons I enjoy Raven's DDT better.

Easy choice for Raven.

First of all, I have to admit there is some favoritism, as Raven is easily in my top 3 favorite wrestlers of all time. However, the reason I pick him over Roberts is because Raven could nail that sucker out of nowhere. Roberts was very methodical with his DDT and he always set it up beautifully, but I preferred Raven's "you never saw it coming" technique, much like we see from Randy Orton's RKO today.

So, yeah... I love Jake Roberts version, no doubt, but Raven easily takes this for me.

2d9tcup.gif

For me it's Raven. Watching Raven hit his opponents with the Evenflow DDT with the amount of force it seemingly took to do so as a kid was almost frightening for me, as it truly looked devastating to me. Factor in that the move itself complimented Raven's character so well in that it wasn't an overbooked or overdone or overly dramatic finisher, but rather a simple but powerfully effective one made the decision all the easier to make.

While Roberts may have been the founder of it, Raven perfected it to the point that it became synonymous with his character for years to come, while Roberts I feel is more remembered for Damien then anything else.

While I do agree that Raven does have the best version, one I havent seen mentioned yet that I really liked back during the Attitude Era, was the Impaler DDT done by the leader of the Brood, Gangrel. Anyone who doesnt remember it, Edge pretty much stole the move and renamed it the Edgecution, but I remember seeing Gangrel do it first, so I am going to give him the credit for it, but either way I think it is one of the more effective and painful looking versions of the DDT when done right.

Gangrel's Version
[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jxuSGos6mOk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jxuSGos6mOk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Edge's version
[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pu-RP3qKvpE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pu-RP3qKvpE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Raven all the way, the Raven Effect is a thing of beauty. It is such a cool looking move, and looks devastating- especially on a steel chair

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back