• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who Is Your "Guilty Pleasure"?

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
As a die-hard fan of all that is rock and metal, Christina Aguilera is a big guilty pleasure for me. Not her, her music.

I actually own two of her CDs, and don't think she's put out a bad single, dating back to "Genie In A Bottle". I like pretty much anything she's produced, whether it's slow or fast, happy or sad, love or heartbreak.

I'll listen to any kind of music, so to most people that know me personally, this isn't a surprise. But, since rock and metal are my favorites, and those are the ones I tend to talk about the most, this tends to surprise a ton of people.

For me it would have to be Scatman John, not that he is bad but it is Europop and one of the songs starts off with him yelling "I'm a Scatman". But the music itself isn't bad, the message in his music isn't bad either, but it is Europop at its very best, or worst depending on your point of view.

[youtube]DCnOpI-HXZA[/youtube]

[youtube]h_BfkpSOy2k[/youtube]

Pink.

I'm not a fan of female Singers but everytime I hear Pink sing i have to listen. even if i have never heard them before I know i will like them. I am yet to come across a song of hers I don't like. Anybody that knows me would think that Pink would be the last person I would listen too, but They are wrong.

Katy Perry and, like Sparky, Pink. Although both of these women essentially do nothing but bash men in their music, they are nonetheless talented artists whose songs are filled with extremely catchy lyrics and beats (I'm not that familiar with music terminology, so "beats" to me means background music). However, I always make sure that, if I listen to their music, I do it with my headphones on. Furthermore, if I hypocritically sing along with their songs, I always make sure to never do so in public (not even in my car...people may be able to read my lips).

My guilty pleasures Metallica. I'm a huge pop fan and love Beyonce, Mariah, Natasha, ect so I don't consider that stuff my guilty plessure.

I'm not a metal fan usually but will ocassional just put on a Metallica song. While I don't feel guilty or hide the fact that I like them, my friends are surprised when they see I have them on my MP3.

I also have a "guilty" genre and that would be country music. None of my friends like country and usually bash it(except for Taylor Swift)so I just keep it quiet. And while most of the country out there sounds poppish anyways, my friends don't find it "cool". I love listening to Sugarland, Kellie Pickler, Miranda Lambert, Brad Paisley, Lady Antebellum, and many more so the whole country genre would be my guilty pleasure.

Reactions: NSL
Haha, awesome thread... well I definitely got a couple of those myself. Usually I listen to Metal as most of you will know by now, but I second the notions of Christina Aguilera and especially Pink. However, with Christina, it's less her music, as her songs really don't do much for me as songs... but she is just such an awesome singer, you gotta give her that. I really don't understand why and how people have always kept comparing her to Britney Spears... for even though Brit might've been the more successful one (at least early in her career) in terms of popularity, musically, Britney doesn't bring nearly as much to the table as Christina does in her pinky finger alone heh.

And Pink is just pretty cool... talented singer, plus she has good songs. Definitely one of the few pop artists I can listen to.

And finally, someone who has only really been popular in Europe... but here hugely... and even though he hasn't done much lately would be... ta-daaaa... Robbie Williams. Well, Take That just annoyed me back then, and still annoy me today. But RW definitely nowadays has that TRUE "Rockstar" attitude that so few people still live today... you know, kind of like Axl Rose was in the early 90ies. Plus, RW does have some pretty well written songs going for him... I can definitely listen to some of this guy's stuff.

Well I was watching a music chanel yesterday, and Paramore came on.

And I found myself....enjoying the song. I thought it had something to do with the hot singer chick.... but alas, I was kidding myself....

And I also like 30 seconds to Mars.... another guilty emo pleasure... oh the shame.

My guilty pleasure are a couple of the songs from the High School Musical series. I know, shocking, but some of the songs are just... catchy. And once their in your head its a pain in the ass to get them out again.

Late 90s/early 2000s pop music. Boy bands, Brittney, Christina etc. They're part of my childhood and adolescense and those years are important to me. Many are still on my ipod but I'm almost embarassed to have them there.

I would probably consider Metro Station a guilty pleasure. They're a band that I have on my iPod but would never ever tell or admit to anyone that they were on there. I Love Shake It, it's just a catchy tune and Seventeen Forever is a decent song as well.

What's a Guilty Pleasure? No I'm just joshin' y'all. I don't really consider her a guilty pleasure, but it shocks alot of my friends when they walk into my house and I'm jammin' out to Sarah McLachlan. For some reason, my associates find it unsuitable for a metalhead, especially a black metal fan, to like sensitive music.

Honorable mentions: The Corrs (love 'em), Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Once more with feeling Soundtrack, Tal Bachman, and liveonrelease.

A lot of my friends love house, trance, and techno and although I often protest listening to the shit 24/7 and I get hassled for enjoying indie rock, post-rock, experimental rock, noise rock, britpop, shoegaze, proto punk, classic rock etc I actually don't mind a lot of the dance shit they force me to listen to. Some bands like Daft Punk and Basement Jaxx I openly like but I actually don't mind Tiesto, Armin Van Buuren, Paul Van Dyk etc. which would actually surprise pretty much everyone I know. Also I'm a huge Alt. Hip-Hop/Rap fan which again would surprise a lot of people because of my views on Hip-Hop in general (particularly gangster and commercial Hip-Hop/Rap)

Eminem.

My computer is filled with all different kinds of rock, light stuff like Coldplay to more harder stuff like In Flames and I Killed The Prom Queen, etc, but I've been into Eminem for a long time and I'm currently listening to his Encore album now because I found it at my dads place when I thought I lost it but I'm enjoying it now and I usually end up going through his songs in my head when I'm bored and I really like his song Superman, the lyrics are strong but yeah, most of his stuff is pretty good, I'm sure most people who knew me in person would be suprised that I listen to him.

Eh, I guess it would have to be Robbie Williams. Most of my friends get pretty freaked out when I set up a playlist full of metal and jazz, and then Robbie Williams comes on. He makes great pop music which is fun, catchy and unforgetful. The guy has an great voice and seeing him live was an awesome experience. His later stuff is a heap of garbage though, you'd have to pay me to listen to that tripe.

My guilty pleasure are a couple of the songs from the High School Musical series. I know, shocking, but some of the songs are just... catchy. And once their in your head its a pain in the ass to get them out again.

This. Except it's every song, and I have all the CDs. When I have friends over the CDs belong to Jessica. But seriously, I freaking love High School Musical. When I'm watching the films (Which I have to at least 3 times a week), I'm singing along to all the songs. Most of them are so cheesy they're good, because I happen to love the whole cheesy thing. HSM is just amazing.

Rihanna. Which guy doesn't love here though. Unfaithful...Umbrella, and others. Her catchy pop voce draws men in like a magnet. OTher poppy songs can catch me too. Pokerface- Lady Gaga does it to me. Any woman that has a poppy but not annoying voice can make me a fan of it.

Avril Lavigne, Hinder, and fucking N'Sync are all my guilty pleasures.

I swear... those guys just make music that I find catchy as fuck. Avril's album "Under my Skin" is my favorite album by a female singer ever, with the exception of Alanis Morrisette's "Jagged Little Pill" (Alanis isn't guilty pleasure though; if you don't find her awesome then there's just something wrong with you). The songs "Take Me Away", "My Happy Ending", and "Nobody's Home" were all fantastic, lol. As far as Hinder goes, it's really only their singles I enjoy, but I hate the fact that I enjoy them. And N'Sync... well, no comment, sorry. I'll just say "I Drive Myself Crazy" is one of my favorite love songs ever.

Avril Lavigne, Hinder, and fucking N'Sync are all my guilty pleasures.

I was not a fan of Hinder, until I saw them live. They reminded me of a modern-day Poison or Motley Crue. They're songs are blatantly disrespectful to women, but women eat it up like cake. They write songs for men to listen to, but they're popularity has them entirely swept up in women.

Check out some songs like Room 21 and By The Way. Room 21 is about a one night stand, and using a girl for sex, but at the show, the girlies were going nuts. By The Way is a song pretty much saying "I love you, I'm cheating on you, and you should've seen it coming." great stuff :p

It's not exactly a person, but a genre for me. I tell everyone I hate classical music, when in actual fact I love it. I'm a person who mainly likes rock, so classical is pretty far away from that. I don't hav a specific song, or composer, I just lie the kind of music you hear. It's completely different from any of the mainstream or underground music that you hear. Classical music has a really great mix of instruments, and none of the synths and everything else that seems to be popular in music these days. It's just people playing a song on real instruments, and not worrying about nay effects or aything else. Just people playing great music.

If you were to look through my mp3 player you'd find the likes of Opeth, Lamb of God, In Flames, Bloodbath, All That Remains, Children of Bodom, Shadows Fall, Killswitch Engage, etc. etc.

As far as a guilty pleasure, I'll be straight up about it. I have no problem listening to some 30 Seconds to Mars, being a musician and a singer I appreciate talent. I'll be honest, emo or not Jared Leto has a HELL of a voice. But the real guilty pleasure of mine is actually Paramore as well. May as well be the next Avril Lavigne but their music is extremely catchy and the girl can sing. The fact she's really hot is a bonus though.

As an add on to my earlier post, I just started getting into the Tragically Hip a few months ago, even though they're not my usual style. I would never admit that in my hometown, mostly because nobody here is aware of them, and those that are would peg me as a Canadian poseur. It's bad enough on me that I openly enjoy the hockey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back