• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Which Wrestler Was Your Guilty Pleasure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Doink. I was 10-11yo when he debuted and didn't really like him all that much. Looking back, when he was a heel, his promos and ring psychology were SICK. His promos were a mixture of Jake, Pillman, Piper and some other great talkers. He also had the wrestling background to back it up. The character and psychology seemed of the wrong era as the mid 90s were more kid oriented and a psychotic clown was pretty out there. If he came out in the Attitude era, he might be a different story. It's like comparing Jack Nicholson's Joker to Heath Ledger's Joker. Youtube some of his heel promos (he's even got some ECW promos as "Bourne Again"). You'll see much more behind the clown costume.

For me it is Goldust!

I just always have found Goldust to be really interesting! His bizarre look grabs everyones attention, or at least it did back in the day, and for some reason I love his theme music, don't ask me why, just for some reason I do :shrug:

I agree with Lancer, the cat was awesome. He would come out that that wicked music, dance with Lemonte and then get his ass whooped. It really worked for the client.

My pick is LENNY & LODI the "gay" duo from WCW. I used to love when they would come out with those signs "WHEN LENNY AND LODI ARE IN TOWN SOMEONES GOING DOWN." and "LENNY GETS TOP (OTHER SIDE) BUNK."
I think they did the whole boyfriend gimmick a lot better than Billy & Chuck who I liked as well. Lenny's pigtails and lolipop still make me laugh.

I always loved Rob Conway. The Con Man was awesome and wasn't even that bad of a wrestler. His music was great and really fit the character. I remember when he was in one of the Raw vs. Smackdown games and my created wrestler had his music. I am probably biased though, because when Raw came to Fort Wayne a couple years back he was there and when he was entering the ring I yelled at him and he pointed at me. I would love to see a Con Man comeback.

I'm probably going to get laughed at for this one, but hey, that's what this thread is for right? To reveal our guilty pleasures.

My favorite guilty pleasure wrestler is none other than the Repo Man!

Repo%20Man%202.jpg

Yes his gimmick was terrible. But, to me it's one of the most hilarious gimmicks, characters ever. Even as a kid, when I was crying at the sight of Randy Savage nearly "being killed" by Jake's snake, or the Ultimate Warrior nearly "being killed" in the Undertaker's casket, I could still see the absolute ridiculousness of the Repo Man and his character. It really helped that you had a real solid hand (Barry Darsow) playing the character, because he could work a solid match, he was still in good shape at the time (I think he was actually even thinner as the Repo Man then when he was Smash), and wrestlers just back then were much more skilled at making a gimmick entertaining to watch, no matter how outlandish or ridiculous it was. I don't think someone today could play a character like the Repo Man and make it entertaining, but Barry somehow managed to do so.

I remember as a kid I would run around my house sneaking up on people and acting like I would take things, basically impersonating the Repo Man. I would even do the laugh and repeat his infamous catchphrase to anyone who would listen to me, "what's mine is mine, and what's yours is mine too!" Yeah, I was an odd kid lol.

Have you ever watched any of those shows on VH1 where they talk about one hit wonder songs, and music in general that's just "awesomely bad?" Well, the Repo Man character defines that very phrase. It was stupid, it was terrible, but it was awesomely entertaining too, for me anyway. Awesomely bad.

The Repo Man is by far my favorite "bad gimmick" ever. And his theme music is also one of my favorite wrestling theme songs ever too. It's a really catchy song if you just listen to the music and take out the "Repo Man" vocals.

To close this off I present 40 seconds of the awesomeness that is the Repo Man....

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g2M61oURweM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g2M61oURweM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back