Who is REALLY better? Hulk Hogan or Steve Austin

Slyfox696

Excellence of Execution
Following in the now-legendary footsteps of Might NorCal, I, too, have decided to bring back a classic argument to the Old School Wrestling forums.

Simply put, who is better between Hulk Hogan and Stone Cold Steve Austin. I don't think I need to give a history lesson on why we would compare these two, as I think that answer should be obvious. You can look at this any number of ways, between drawing ability, moneymaking ability, in-ring ability, charisma, mic ability, memorable moments, etc.

So, let the war begin. Who is better?

Hogan, and it's not even close.

Hogan has made more money in this business then ANY other wrestler, and that includes Steve Austin. He was making ground-breaking money in the eighties. Like, I heard claims there was one point he could make up to over a million a week during that time. And this was in the fucking EIGHTIES. There's not a wrestler TODAY who comes close to making that kind of doe.

You also have to look at what Hogan did for both main companies he worked for. The WWF was nothing but a New York territory before Hogan came along. I strongly believe that Vince Jr. would've never did what he did to the other territories (or at least not so soon) if he didn't have Hulk Hogan. Then, you have WCW, who was doing TERRIBLE business before they signed Hogan. But Hogan goes there, makes a small, but noticeable impact immediately, and within a year and a half, the company is not only turning profit, but about to put the WWF out of business. And it was all because of Hulk Hogan. No one else.

Also, Hogan has the more memorable matches/moments. Hogan vs. Andre will live forever. Hogan vs. Randy is one of the greatest feuds of all time and I give that feud credit to what wrestling eventually became: A male soap opera. Before that feud, angles that involved women in the business came off as corny and stupid, but Hogan, Savage, and Miss Liz turned that all around. And Even though Warrior is now considered a joke because of WWE's propaganda, his match with Hogan from Wrestlemania 6 is still looked at as such a bright spot in the company, and that’s because of what a tremendous job Hogan pulled that night. Then of course you have his heel turn in WCW, and all the memorable matches/moments he would have with that company. And then, at like, what, 50, he returns to WWE and has one of the greatest matches in Wrestlemania history against The Rock. When it comes to memorable matches/moments, Austin cannot touch him. Quality wise, Austin has probably had better matches, but that’s only because of the era he wrestled in. But you also have to add that Austin’s best matches came from great wrestler/characters like Mick Foley and Bret Hart, while Hogan could make any piece of garbage look good in the ring. That’s one thing Austin lacked, and that’s why Hogan is superior in-ring wise, in my opinion.

The only thing I'll give Austin an edge on Hogan is mic skills. Austin is/was tremendous on the mic, while Hogan was a bit of a joke. A loveable joke, though. But as far as everything else on your list, Hogan takes it hands down. Charisma, drawing, in-ring work, ect... Austin can't fuck with Hogan.

I do believe a lot of people hold Austin in such a high regard because he is still more prominent in a lot of people's memory, and because he was one of the main guys who led the entire wrestling scene when it reached its biggest stage ever, during the Monday Night Wars and Attitude era. But kids watching wrestling today will probably not remember Hogan, or even Austin. Their greatest heroes will probably be John Cena, Batista, maybe The Undertaker and all the guys we see right now.

In any case, Hogan's great days, however, were already back 10-15 years at the time Austin took the spotlight, a lot of people who grew up watching Austin never saw the heyday of Hulkamania (including myself, but I got the twilight of those days at least), but remember Austin as being the #1 guy everyone could relate to. Hogan's good guy character at that time was outdated. However, when he took his heelturn, the greatest one EVER in the history of pro wrestling - and there will never be a greater one - he started to make that huge wrestling boom possible in the first place. WWE was a joke at the time, with over-the-top comic characters. And so was WCW - but then, there was the nWo. And suddenly, we were being serious.

So in my opinion, it is in fact Hulk Hogan and the nWo who created the "Attitude" that would later make the Attitude era that great. Of course Vince realized it was working, tuned up the volume BIG TIME, and had some of the greatest guys in the history of wrestling to run with it. Austin, Rock (who in my mind is the guy with the greatest capabilities of his generation, and should by all means have become The Great One he claimed he was, had he stayed a few years longer, and would have been bigger than Austin), HBK and HHH would become some of the biggest stars ever, in their own right - but it would never have been possible without Hogan. Hogan first put WWE on the map in the 80ies, and made wrestling survive. He made it survive, and made it bigger than it had ever been before. When he was gone, WWE was struggling, and they didn't know what to do. He went to WCW, which was in even a worse state than WWE, and more or less single-handedly turned the thing around. Of course, Eric Bischoff made some brilliant moves at that time, getting huge WWE stars to follow his course; but none ever made that much impact as Hollywood Hulk Hogan did. Vince reacted, and retaliated. But it was only after several years that with the help of his new stars Austin, Rock and HHH, he could beat WCW - and that in turn was mostly possible because the WCW creative team had basically dug its own grave, with tossing out stupid storylines and what not - but we all know the history there.

Still, Hogan once again made his comeback to WWE, had - as jmt pointed out - one of the most memorable matches in Wrestlemania history even at that age with the Rock (and in all honesty - does anyone ever remember any other WM18 match except that one?), because he still got it, and simply because of who he was, and what he had done. He goes on to become champion once again, he still got the HUGEST pops bar none whenever he made his one-off appearances at WM or SummerSlam. And if he returned to WM25 to face Steve Austin, I think I can kind of guess as to who the people would cheer for.

Austin on the other hand definitely had something going for him: His character. The role he played just fit the spirit of the time, people could relate to him probably more than to any other wrestler before and after, simply because he seemed more or less like a "regular everyday normal guy" (alright, one who loves to kick some a**), but he wasn't so over-the-top as wrestlers usually were, and that's what made it work. Wrestling-wise, he wasn't that great - especially after his neck injury. He had a great career which was made possible by Hogan's heelturn and especially by the advent of "Mr. McMahon" - without VKM, I daresay Austin would NEVER have been as big as he was. Of course also Rock and HHH did profit from the roles of the McMahons on-screen, but none ever got so much from them as Austin. And after his active career ended, his appearances, at least to me, have become dull. Every once in awhile, he'd be a special guest referee. In the end, Stunner to everyone. Every once in awhile, beer drinking contest. Stunner to everyone. Or just arrive. Raise hell (=Stunner to everyone). Leave. Of course that is SCSA. But it's not more than that.

But Hogan still put on some nice matches a few years back against Randy Orton and HBK - and even if his in-ring abilities never were stellar, and certainly have not improved with age; these appearances still bear more significance in my opinion than any number of pointless Stunners Austin could dish out on any given day.

So I agree - Hogan takes this one. Maybe it's just me being biased, as I still grew up with Hogan somewhat in his prime, and in a day and age where it was not so certain that wrestling was "all fake", especially at my age back then... of course you knew it couldn't be all real... but then again, you never knew for certain. So there was still some magic in those days for me that of course disappeared later on... but nonetheless. Hogan takes this one. Austin was the face of a generation. He was a huge star. But a lot of the things that were necessary to MAKE him that huge star were put on the map by Hulk Hogan: The WWE. The Attitude. VKM.

And if Austin was the face of one generation - Hogan will always be the face of wrestling.

In absolute drawing, financial, and "memorable moments" terms, Hogan is the better of these two wrestlers. However, I think Austin had the more lucrative and memorable run of the two (if we were to compare Austin's run with a Hogan run of similar length but which consisted of the best portions of Hogan's total run). In net terms, Hogan main-evented for approximately 16 years. On the other hand, in net terms, Austin main-evented for approximately 4 1/2 years. So, the fact that we are comparing one main-eventer with another who had almost four times less the amount of time in the spotlight than the former should say something about Austin's impact on professional wrestling.

In terms of mic ability, I would give Hogan a slight edge. I give Hogan the slight edge for the personal reason that I don't like repetition and, unfortunately, in retrospect, Austin gave the same promo about 65% of the time. On the other hand, while Hogan kept the same mannerisms and delivery throughout his career, he at least had fresh material to work with on a regular basis.

In terms of charisma and in-ring work (if we were to confine Austin's in-ring work to just his run as a main-eventer), they are both evenly matched. However, if we were to factor in Austin's work in WCW and ECW, then he would win hands down.

So, overall, I will begrudgingly state that Hogan is better than Austin when all of the aforementioned criteria and qualifications are taken into account. However, Austin, in my opinion, will always be the greatest wrestler simply for the fact that he turned around a moribund company with very little help. Moreover, one thing most people overlook with Hogan is that, for the great majority of his time at top, he had a stellar supporting cast. And, while this could be said also of Austin in his later years on top, it could not be said of him in his beginning years on top.

This is a very good question. But for some reason, I feel like it deserves rational science as the way to explain the true significance of my answer.

Now A train leaves Greenwich travels at 105 miles and hour on a long trip with several stops along the way, including a near derailing due to it's association with several similar, yet defective, models that depart for separate destinations. At about the same time, a train leaves Miami going at about 90 miles and hour with a gradual acceleration of .5 miles an hour an bursts into a full gape of 125 miles an hour before an eventual switchover to a line headed towards Hollywood.

Are you with me so far? Good. Now a Mack Truck leaves Texas going 75 on a collision course with both trains but suffers a couple of flat tires that drops the speed down to 69 and makes an impact with both where the sheer speed of both trains actually creates a vacuum in the space time continuum where the train from Miami is rerouted on permanent course towards Hollywood, never to return. The train from Greenwich is knocked off track, but massive crews within the company work hard to get it back on track while the truck embarks on another course, back towards Texas.

When it arrives in Texas, it's met by a bigger truck that ends up towing it into a weigh station, where the engine is overhauled but it never reaches the speeds it was able to attain prior to the train wreckage. The bigger truck them embarks towards Venice to pick up a massive load of athletic supporters that weighs more than a million cubic tons of condensed compressed tonnage. The truck attempts to tow the load but breaks down doing so, declaring that the load if too great for it to haul.

So in this scientific equation, we find that the original Texas truck was only powerful enough to withstand the impact of the two trains, sending one train away from it's original destination and derailing the other, The second truck had to tow the first truck, thusly making it a more powerful tool. The second truck was unable to deliver the load of athletic supporters because it was too great to tow, thusly meaning that the first truck was far to inferior to have attempted to two the load.

So what does all of this mean? Here, let me spell it out for you.

The Rock + Triple H<< Steve Austin<< Shawn Michaels<<Hulk Hogan

But how do all of the trucks and trains of the word problem fit into this? Easy. It means that Stone Cold Steven Austin can't even carry Hulk Hogans jock straps. Case Closed.

While I won't like to anger slyfox and have him reply to me, that would just be awful. I'd just like to point out that among(Amongst? Shrungs) the fans that matter, the internet fans, one wrestler is often heavily criticised yet the other hardly every feels the wrath of us geeks. That would be Steve Austin.

I'm not saying Austin btw.

Austin was better. I loved his punches. So stiff. His one-of-a-kind brawling style was extremely unique and entertaining to watch. Austin's matches and fueds with Foley, Rock, Benoit, H, and many others were some of the most entertaining product that WWE has ever produced. His 2001 match with Benoit on SD! for instance, is easily the best match in SD! history. Austin's match with Bret Hart @ WM13 is one of the few five-star matches in WWE history. How many Dave-Meltzer-rated 5 star matches has Hogan had? Zero.

Austin's career was cut short by Owen Hart, plain and simple. If not for that Summerslam botch, Austin would still be main-eventing in the wrestling industry, so it's not fair to talk about how Hogan was on top for a longer period of time. It is an indisputable fact that Austin drew more revenue for WWE when he was at his peak than Hogan did at the height of Hulkamania. Ross and McMahon have acknowledged this many times. WWE had a record period of earnings with the product centered around Austin.

Furthermore, Steve Austin was the best mic worker of all-time. I once attended a show when Austin was co-GM, and he stayed for literally an hour after the show talking on the mic; he had the whole arena laughing their @sses off. This was by far my best live WWE experience of all-time. Austin sang songs, and did a funny thing where he acted like he was going to propose to Lillian Garcia. It was all totally made up on the fly by the best mic worker the industry has ever known.

In my opinion, Hogan's most impressive period as a mic worker was the first year and a half or so after he turned heel. Those 20 minute promos he would cut, and how he would rile up the crowds was awesome. I don't dislike Hogan, but it is silly to say that he is as good or better than the Rattlesnake, in any way other than drawing money.

You could make a case that Hogan was a bigger mark-magnet, but if you judge the two based on ultra-smark criterion: NO, Hogan's best matches did not receive higher ratings by Meltzer or Wade Keller than Austin's did. NO, Hogan did not cut more innovative and entertaining promos. Other than his nWo period, he cut the same promo every time. Excetera, excetera...Case closed.

How many Dave-Meltzer-rated 5 star matches has Hogan had? Zero.

I know you used more than this for your case for Austin but I think this part should be thrown out the window. For one Meltzer isnt the be all end all in judging matches. And for another I believe the only 5 star match from Austin that Meltzer gave him was the one with Hart at wrestlemania. It wasnt like it was a match that Austin had to carry some scrub to a great match it was with Bret freakin Hart at Wrestlemania. Hogan never had a high profile match with somebody of Bret's ability. I think the closest I would say was Savage at Wrestlemania and although I thought Savage was really really good I still wouldnt say he was in Bret's league as far as in ring wrestling. For the most part Hogan didnt get to face guys with the talent that Austin did as far as in ring work. Austin feuded with the likes of Bret, Owen, Benoit, HBK, HHH, The Rock, Taker among others. Outside of Savage I dont think any of Hogan's big feuds were with guys that were as good as those guys.

Hell when you put him in the ring with The Rock in 2002 at the age of 52(I think thats how old he was) he put out one of the best matches of the year. So Hogan was a very capable wrestler especially if you put him with guys that were any good. Overall Hogan had plenty of great matches they may not all be rated high by people like Meltzer or other internet people but they were still very good.

But to answer the question I feel its gotta be Hogan for no other reason then he was the main guy that was responsible for 2 different wrestling boom periods. He led the first one in the 80s and led another one in the mid 90s. Even in his mid 40s he still took a company that was going nowhere and past the WWF who up until that point was the gold standard in wrestling. Nobody thought that anybody would ever beat the WWF. Hogan was the most over face in the 80s and early 90s and was the most over heel in the mid 90s. For over 15 years Hogan was in the main event, drawing and overall getting huge responses anytime he went to the ring. To put that in perspective Austin assuming Austin never stopped wrestling and was still the main draw he would still have to wrestle another 4 or 5 years from now to reach that mark. Do you honestly think people wouldnt have gotten sick of Austin by now if he was in the main event for 15 years straight? People complain about guys like Cena or Batista always being in the main event and they only been doing it for a few years, Hogan did it for a decade and a half and people still loved him.

Agentmichaelscarn: no offense to you personally, but you guys who are advocating for Hogan>Austin are way off-base here...So it's time for me to unleash some serious pwnage...Like I said, no offense intended here, but...

Hogan never had a high profile match with somebody of Bret's ability.

Try Ric Flair???...Sometimes it's like shooting fish in a barrel...

I think the closest I would say was Savage at Wrestlemania

LOL...That match was rated **3/4 by Dave Meltzer, and he was right in doing so. Austin never had a WM main event rated that low. Furthermore, Hogan has only had 2 matches rated four stars or above in his ENTIRE CAREER, which are the following:

WM3: Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant: -****

10/23/94 Hulk Hogan vs. Ric Flair (Cage) ****1/4

You can check my research here: http://www.geocities.com/mfoy18/5starlist.html

That site has an extensive history of Meltzer's match ratings from WWE and WCW, dating back to the 80s. In fact, if any of you are able to find another Hogan match that was rated at least **** by Dave Meltzer, I promise to send you $20 through PayPal. I guarantee you that these are the only matches in Hogan's career rated at least 4 stars, and look at who he was working with in those!

Since we are comparing Hogan to Austin, it may be interesting to take a glance at Austin's record of **** plus matches...ya know, just for fun:

5/28/96 Steve Austin vs. Savio Vega (Strap) ****...So, let me get this right...Steve Austin could have a four star match with Savio Vega, and Hogan couldn't deliver one with Randy Savage in the main event at WM? LOL...And here you silly guys are debating which of the two was superior...

2/16/97 Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin vs. Vader vs. Undertaker ****1/4

11/17/96 Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin ****1/2

3/23/97 Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin (Submission) *****...Oh HELL YEEAAAHHH!!!

6/9/97 Shawn Michaels vs. Steve Austin ****

5/31/98 Steve Austin vs. Dude Love ****1/2

4/25/99 Steve Austin vs. Rock ****1/4

12/10/00 Kurt Angle vs. Triple H vs. Rock vs. Steve Austin vs. Undertaker vs. Rikishi (Hell in the Cell) ****1/2

2/25/01 Triple H vs. Steve Austin
(2/3 falls; Straight wrestling, Street Fight, Cage) ****3/4 (should be 5 IMO)

4/1/01 Steve Austin vs. Rock (No DQ) ****1/2

5/31/01 Steve Austin vs. Chris Benoit ****1/2

8/19/01 Kurt Angle vs. Steve Austin ****1/2

9/23/01 Kurt Angle vs. Steve Austin ****

10/21/01 Kurt Angle vs. Steve Austin vs. Rob Van Dam ****

11/15/01 Steve Austin/Kurt Angle vs. Rock/Chris Jericho ****1/4

And if I were to list all of Austin's *** plus star outings, the data overload would literally crash WZ for a month.

For the most part Hogan didnt get to face guys with the talent that Austin did as far as in ring work.

I'll give you that...

Outside of Savage I dont think any of Hogan's big feuds were with guys that were as good as those guys.

So you're implying that Savage was a better worker than Flair, too?...LOL

when you put him in the ring with The Rock in 2002 at the age of 52(I think thats how old he was) he put out one of the best matches of the year.

Three stars, as rated by Meltzer. It was an awesome match, though, I agree...But that doesn't mean that I also believe Hogan's absurd claim in his autobiography that the second Rockbottom he received from Rock at WM19 broke his back. Just one of Hogan's many, many documented lies...

Overall Hogan had plenty of great matches they may not all be rated high by people like Meltzer or other internet people

Well, at least you realize that he's a mark-magnet, and his matches are not highly regarded by the most learned experts and observers in wrestling...But who cares! You guys see his matches as superior to anything that has ever come out of All-Japan Pro Wrestling.

Even in his mid 40s he still took a company that was going nowhere and past the WWF who up until that point was the gold standard in wrestling.

You can't give Hogan ALL the credit for that, just as I cannot give Austin all the credit for WWF reclaiming #1 status after WCW's long period of dominance over WWF. Hall, Nash, Bischoff, Sting and many others were indispensible in aiding WCW to surpass WWF in the ratings.

Hogan was the most over face in the 80s and early 90s and was the most over heel in the mid 90s.

I can't deny Hogan's ability to draw cornball ignoramouses to the WWE product. People in North America have appallingly unsophisticated tastes in product--in all avenues of entertainment--whether it be movies, music, video games, or what have you.

Do you honestly think people wouldnt have gotten sick of Austin by now if he was in the main event for 15 years straight?

Steve Austin is one of the most ingenious performers who ever lived. His character kept evolving througout his career, from the Hollywood Blondes, to ECW, to Austin 3:16, to the hilarious "What?" period...Who knows what else he would have come up with?

When I say that Steve Austin was superior to Hulk Hogan, I am not necessarily saying that he drew more money, or played a more integral part in WWE's success than Hogan ever did. The truth is, I don't give a d@mn how much money WWE draws. Why should I? I certainly don't receive any of it. If you want to talk about drawing a lot of money: Oscar De La Hoya is a bigger draw than either Hogan, Cena or Austin ever were. So why don't you guys mark out for him? As a pure wrestling fan, all I care about is quality performances in the ring, and on the mic. That is the measuring stick by which I judge a wrestler.

Cmon now, yeah he feuded with Flair but it was WAY past Flair's prime and Hogans prime for that matter. You cant possibly compare a mid 90s Ric Flair to guys like Bret Hart, Owen Hart, Benoit, Angle or HBK. If Flair and Hogan feuded in the mid 80s Id give you that but not when both of them were near 50. And again you are posting Meltzer's ratings, I started my last post saying that Meltzer isnt the be all end all of wrestling. I conceded that Hogan never had any matches that were rated highly by him.

And when I brought up Savage I didnt say that their match was a 5 star match(even though I thought it was very good) I was just pointing out that Savage was the only guy I could think of that he had a major feud with that was the caliber of most of Austin's opponents. Hogan mainly had to deal with either aging wrestlers(Andre, Slaughter), roided out wrestlers(Warrior), or just big guys that arent smark favorites.(Earthquake, Sid and pretty much any other wrestler in the 80s). You cant fault Hogan for having to deal with guys that arent smark or internet writers cups of tea. If Hogan wrestled in his prime guys like Hart, Angle, Rock, HBK, Benoit, Guerrero or a number other wrestlers that were in Austin's era Im sure he would have had plenty of highly rated matches by Meltzer or other smarks. I will say though that Austin vs. Hart at Mania was the best main stream match Ive ever seen.

With all this said Im not even going to say that Hogan was necessarily better in the ring I was just pointing out its unfair to compare match ratings when his competition wasnt the same as Austin's. Even if you give the edge to Austin in the ring I would still give Hogan the edge in other areas like drawing, popularity, charisma and staying power. And I dont want to hear from people how Austin sold more merchandise. Of course he did, in Hogan's time there wasnt the internet and clothing wasnt sold at most stores, if you wanted merchandise 90% of the time you had to either order it from a catalog or buy it at an actual event. So it is totally unfair to compare that aspect of things.

@ Raccoon: You do indeed make some good points here on Austin's behalf, however for my taste, the focus has shifted entirely too much to what Dave Meltzer says. You know something? I have never given a damn whether this match or that was given a certain star rating by anyone. There were matches that entertained me, and those that did not. Some of those that did might have been four star or five star in those rating, others might only have been two. Just take Hogan vs Andre at WM3. Where in the blue hell was that match a 4 star match? Of course it was huge, it was hyped, it was entertaining... but the match itself, involving Hulk Hogan AND an ageing Andre?! Oh please... if nothing else, this example (even if its one given on Hogan's behalf!) more or less does nothing but prove that these so called "star ratings" don't have an awful lot to say at the end of the day. It just makes you think that if a Hogan/Andre match, which was next to nothing in the pure wrestling department but thrived on the legend of Andre, and the legend of Hogan that Vince was only just creating at that time; that lived off the hype and magnitude that surrounded WM3 as a whole; it just makes you think that if THAT "match" got four stars, and was essentially not an especially good "match" - then what do Steve Austin's, or anyone else's "five star matches" mean? Hmmmm...

So I would just literally shove everything aside that has to do with those star-ratings. Austin had some memorable matches, that's for sure. Everyone will remember him passing out, bloody face and all, in Bret Hart's Sharpshooter. But as was pointed out - it was not necessarily Austin alone that made this match great; it has been said - he was in the ring with Bret freaking Hart that night.
Hogan's best years physically were definitely already behind him when the nWo thing got started, and when people expected to see better matches by guys like Rock, Austin, Owen, Triple H and HBK, who were all years and years younger than Hogan at the time, of course he couldn't keep up. He had never been the greatest in-ring performer, but in his era, that had not been necessary. He lived off his charisma, and that was unparalleled. He had to work with more wrestlers who were less capable than about 80% of WWE's "Attitude" era roster. Just as has been pointed out, mostly big men with little true wrestling abilities. Maybe in his best years, together with hard workers like a Bret Hart, Rock, or whoever you can think of would be able to put on a great match with Hogan, he definitely could have had greater matches. But as said - for his gimmick, in his day and age, when Hulkamania was at its peak, wrestling did not work that way, and especially not for Hogan. He simply did not need to put on a five star match to sell out the Pontiac Silverdome with over 90.000 people. He just needed to Bodyslam Andre the Giant. And that was that.

And as I've said before - if it had not been for Hogan, there would not even have BEEN a WWE for Austin to carry, especially not in the way he did. Not only because WWE would not have been as big as it became without Hogan, but mainly because of the nWo angle, which, as I said, first introduced the whole "Attitude" idea that Vince took up, and together with Austin brought to perfection. If there had not been a WCW at that time for Hogan to go, if there had not been a nWo, I think we would have seen a VERY different type of era than the "Attitude" we know. Austin, like every great star, and most importantly like Hogan himself, was the right guy, with the right gimmick, at the right time.

However, Hogan needed that luck only the first time around. The second time, with the nWo, it was a different day and age. And he STILL managed to be the measuring stick, even way past his prime physically, even after basically already having HAD a career that would be enough to boast about for any man; and that I simply cannot attribute to "luck" or "chance" alone anymore; this more than anything shows the great, great talent that Hogan undoubtedly had. He could get people to watch the product. Whether with Hulkamania, or with the nWo - but it was always Hogan who got people watching in the first place. So that is the reason why I put Hogan over Austin. Not because he led wrestling to new heights. So did Austin. But because Hogan did it TWICE.

And of course, the argument will always be - "Yes, but the ratings were highest in WWE when Austin was champ/was there etc. etc. etc." - Which indeed may be so; however I urge everyone to consider what was necessary in the first place in order to even get into an environment where such ratings where even possible. Todays ratings I believe aren't even half what they were then... but they FIRST were very much above today's standards (just as a comparison) in WCW, when the nWo thing started, and they remained there for the better part of 2 years I believe, until WWE finally was able to catch up (undeniably because of guys like Austin, but also Rock, HHH, HBK, Bret Hart to some extent), and the interest they gathered was partly because the huge interest WAS ALREADY THERE because of WWE's competition in WCW. People just wanted to see what both products had to offer, and when WCW's product began its decline, and WWE was just more or less coming into its own Attitude era, they of course managed to defeat it, simply because their product at the time was better - just as WCW's had been better in those two years before - because of - again - Hulk Hogan, and because it was HIM who led the nWo angle above anyone else, and who thus led wrestling to those unprecedented heights once again, way before Austin even appeared in the Main Event scene.

Anyway, I'm getting carried away lol... What I want to say is that Hogan laid the groundwork for anything Austin ever was able to do. And not once. But twice. And excuse me if I repeat myself: Without "The Immortal" Hulk Hogan and Hulkamania, there would have been no WWE as we know it. Without "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan and the nWo, there would not have been an Attitude. (Well maybe it would; we can never say for certain, this much I will concede; but I for one highly doubt this).

And I do not take away from Austin that he was a good mic worker, and also capable inside the ring as long as his body was able to keep up. However as far as charisma is concerned, no one beats Hogan. The Rock was the only one who could ever have come close (and not Austin, in my book), and he left too early to make for a fair comparison. Inside the ring, Austin was better than Hogan. But then again, many other wrestlers are. And still - only Hulk Hogan was Hulk Hogan, and not "many other wrestlers". Wrestling just follows different parameters, lives by different rules. It is not a sport, at least not in the first sense. And that is why people mark out for Hogan or Austin, but not for Oscar De La Hoya. Wrestling is a form of entertainment, a form of theatre, a form of a "circus" even, with the purpose to entertain. Sports exist for the reason of the sport; for people to test themselves against one another and see who is better. Professional Wrestling, even though it is made to look a sport, is not a sport in that sense. It is made to entertain an audience, first and foremost. And not to honor those who are truly the most capable at the "sport" part of the product. In wrestling, we honor the entertainers. And both Hogan and Austin were among the greatest, which is undeniable. However, I do believe Hogan did infinitely more than Austin. He created the entire business as we know it today basically from scratch, he revolutionized it not once but twice; Austin just had to take the ball Hogan had been carrying for those fifteen years and once again add something to it, give it his own personal touch (which - once again, undeniably - was one people will remember for a long time as well).

The question remains - and I answer subjectively to this - Could someone else have done what Austin did? And considering there were guys like HHH, HBK and Rock among his generation, who became almost equally big stars, I might be inclined to say yes. Someone else could have been "The Texas Rattlesnake". Could someone else, of his generation, have been Hulk Hogan? I would be inclinded to say no.

Austin was better. I loved his punches. So stiff. His one-of-a-kind brawling style was extremely unique and entertaining to watch. Austin's matches and fueds with Foley, Rock, Benoit, H, and many others were some of the most entertaining product that WWE has ever produced. His 2001 match with Benoit on SD! for instance, is easily the best match in SD! history. Austin's match with Bret Hart @ WM13 is one of the few five-star matches in WWE history. How many Dave-Meltzer-rated 5 star matches has Hogan had? Zero.

Austin's career was cut short by Owen Hart, plain and simple. If not for that Summerslam botch, Austin would still be main-eventing in the wrestling industry, so it's not fair to talk about how Hogan was on top for a longer period of time. It is an indisputable fact that Austin drew more revenue for WWE when he was at his peak than Hogan did at the height of Hulkamania. Ross and McMahon have acknowledged this many times. WWE had a record period of earnings with the product centered around Austin.

Furthermore, Steve Austin was the best mic worker of all-time. I once attended a show when Austin was co-GM, and he stayed for literally an hour after the show talking on the mic; he had the whole arena laughing their @sses off. This was by far my best live WWE experience of all-time. Austin sang songs, and did a funny thing where he acted like he was going to propose to Lillian Garcia. It was all totally made up on the fly by the best mic worker the industry has ever known.

In my opinion, Hogan's most impressive period as a mic worker was the first year and a half or so after he turned heel. Those 20 minute promos he would cut, and how he would rile up the crowds was awesome. I don't dislike Hogan, but it is silly to say that he is as good or better than the Rattlesnake, in any way other than drawing money.

You could make a case that Hogan was a bigger mark-magnet, but if you judge the two based on ultra-smark criterion: NO, Hogan's best matches did not receive higher ratings by Meltzer or Wade Keller than Austin's did. NO, Hogan did not cut more innovative and entertaining promos. Other than his nWo period, he cut the same promo every time. Excetera, excetera...Case closed.

Agentmichaelscarn: no offense to you personally, but you guys who are advocating for Hogan>Austin are way off-base here...So it's time for me to unleash some serious pwnage...Like I said, no offense intended here, but...

Hogan never had a high profile match with somebody of Bret's ability.

Try Ric Flair???...Sometimes it's like shooting fish in a barrel...

I think the closest I would say was Savage at Wrestlemania

LOL...That match was rated **3/4 by Dave Meltzer, and he was right in doing so. Austin never had a WM main event rated that low. Furthermore, Hogan has only had 2 matches rated four stars or above in his ENTIRE CAREER, which are the following:

WM3: Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant: -****

10/23/94 Hulk Hogan vs. Ric Flair (Cage) ****1/4

You can check my research here: http://www.geocities.com/mfoy18/5starlist.html

That site has an extensive history of Meltzer's match ratings from WWE and WCW, dating back to the 80s. In fact, if any of you are able to find another Hogan match that was rated at least **** by Dave Meltzer, I promise to send you $20 through PayPal. I guarantee you that these are the only matches in Hogan's career rated at least 4 stars, and look at who he was working with in those!

Since we are comparing Hogan to Austin, it may be interesting to take a glance at Austin's record of **** plus matches...ya know, just for fun:

5/28/96 Steve Austin vs. Savio Vega (Strap) ****...So, let me get this right...Steve Austin could have a four star match with Savio Vega, and Hogan couldn't deliver one with Randy Savage in the main event at WM? LOL...And here you silly guys are debating which of the two was superior...

2/16/97 Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin vs. Vader vs. Undertaker ****1/4

11/17/96 Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin ****1/2

3/23/97 Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin (Submission) *****...Oh HELL YEEAAAHHH!!!

6/9/97 Shawn Michaels vs. Steve Austin ****

5/31/98 Steve Austin vs. Dude Love ****1/2

4/25/99 Steve Austin vs. Rock ****1/4

12/10/00 Kurt Angle vs. Triple H vs. Rock vs. Steve Austin vs. Undertaker vs. Rikishi (Hell in the Cell) ****1/2

2/25/01 Triple H vs. Steve Austin
(2/3 falls; Straight wrestling, Street Fight, Cage) ****3/4 (should be 5 IMO)

4/1/01 Steve Austin vs. Rock (No DQ) ****1/2

5/31/01 Steve Austin vs. Chris Benoit ****1/2

8/19/01 Kurt Angle vs. Steve Austin ****1/2

9/23/01 Kurt Angle vs. Steve Austin ****

10/21/01 Kurt Angle vs. Steve Austin vs. Rob Van Dam ****

11/15/01 Steve Austin/Kurt Angle vs. Rock/Chris Jericho ****1/4

And if I were to list all of Austin's *** plus star outings, the data overload would literally crash WZ for a month.

For the most part Hogan didnt get to face guys with the talent that Austin did as far as in ring work.

I'll give you that...

Outside of Savage I dont think any of Hogan's big feuds were with guys that were as good as those guys.

So you're implying that Savage was a better worker than Flair, too?...LOL

when you put him in the ring with The Rock in 2002 at the age of 52(I think thats how old he was) he put out one of the best matches of the year.

Three stars, as rated by Meltzer. It was an awesome match, though, I agree...But that doesn't mean that I also believe Hogan's absurd claim in his autobiography that the second Rockbottom he received from Rock at WM19 broke his back. Just one of Hogan's many, many documented lies...

Overall Hogan had plenty of great matches they may not all be rated high by people like Meltzer or other internet people

Well, at least you realize that he's a mark-magnet, and his matches are not highly regarded by the most learned experts and observers in wrestling...But who cares! You guys see his matches as superior to anything that has ever come out of All-Japan Pro Wrestling.

Even in his mid 40s he still took a company that was going nowhere and past the WWF who up until that point was the gold standard in wrestling.

You can't give Hogan ALL the credit for that, just as I cannot give Austin all the credit for WWF reclaiming #1 status after WCW's long period of dominance over WWF. Hall, Nash, Bischoff, Sting and many others were indispensible in aiding WCW to surpass WWF in the ratings.

Hogan was the most over face in the 80s and early 90s and was the most over heel in the mid 90s.

I can't deny Hogan's ability to draw cornball ignoramouses to the WWE product. People in North America have appallingly unsophisticated tastes in product--in all avenues of entertainment--whether it be movies, music, video games, or what have you.

Do you honestly think people wouldnt have gotten sick of Austin by now if he was in the main event for 15 years straight?

Steve Austin is one of the most ingenious performers who ever lived. His character kept evolving througout his career, from the Hollywood Blondes, to ECW, to Austin 3:16, to the hilarious "What?" period...Who knows what else he would have come up with?

When I say that Steve Austin was superior to Hulk Hogan, I am not necessarily saying that he drew more money, or played a more integral part in WWE's success than Hogan ever did. The truth is, I don't give a d@mn how much money WWE draws. Why should I? I certainly don't receive any of it. If you want to talk about drawing a lot of money: Oscar De La Hoya is a bigger draw than either Hogan, Cena or Austin ever were. So why don't you guys mark out for him? As a pure wrestling fan, all I care about is quality performances in the ring, and on the mic. That is the measuring stick by which I judge a wrestler.

Consider yourself lucky. Because usually when I see so much ignorance in one (in this case, two) post, I go line by line and point out how dumb some of your statements are. Actually, I was doing that very thing when my computer crashed when I was about done. And I'm WAAAY to lazy and ticked off to go back and do it again. So, allow me to sum up the majority of my points I was making.

1) Of course Austin made more money in one year than Hogan made in any one given year for Vince McMahon. Austin had a weekly Primetime TV show, 12 PPVs a year, as well as a high quality merchandising machine.

Hulk Hogan had no weekly primetime TV show, 1-4 PPVs, and was the reason that a merchandising department was really started.

Austin may have made more money in one year, but that's only because of the time he came along. And the reason he had those things was due to Hogan's influence.

Don't ever use that argument again, because it is incredibly short-sighted. Know what else is an indisputable fact? The WWF/E's best financial year came in 2000. And Austin played very little part in the year 2000.

2) Learn to think for yourself. Everything you say is "Dave Meltzer this, and Dave Meltzer that". Dave Meltzer is an idiot. I think you referred to him as an "expert" on wrestling. What makes him an expert? The fact he printed newspapers in his mother's basement?

He's not an expert, he's an idiot who seems to think his opinion actually matters to anyone. In reality, his opinion only matters to people who lack the ability to think for themselves. He's never worked in the business, he's never stepped foot in the ring, and he thinks pro wrestling is about choreography, and not about entertainment, a notion that has been repeatedly shot down by EVERY important person in wrestling history. So, to try and use some arbitrary and completely biased fan's opinions on matches to make a point is completely ludicrous.

3) Ric Flair was, at best, an average worker. And Randy Savage was three times the worker Flair could ever dream of being.

4) If Steve Austin hadn't been hurt, and was still main-eventing today, that would give him 10 years of main-eventing in the WWF/E.

Hulk Hogan main-evented from 1979-2002. Steve Austin still wouldn't have HALF the amount of time that Hogan main-evented. And that's even assuming that Austin would have remained the top draw he was, which is highly doubtful.

5) There is no doubt that an argument can be made for Steve Austin being better, but your argument is terrible and full of flaws in logic and quality. You need to pick a new route to debate, because the one you chose is ridiculous.

Especially since Hogan was better.

EDIT: On a side note, I would like to point out that this is the SHORT version.

I'm turning into OneBigWill.

Consider yourself lucky. Because usually when I see so much ignorance in one (in this case, two) post, I go line by line and point out how dumb some of your statements are. Actually, I was doing that very thing when my computer crashed when I was about done. And I'm WAAAY to lazy and ticked off to go back and do it again. So, allow me to sum up the majority of my points I was making.

1) Of course Austin made more money in one year than Hogan made in any one given year for Vince McMahon. Austin had a weekly Primetime TV show, 12 PPVs a year, as well as a high quality merchandising machine.

Hulk Hogan had no weekly primetime TV show, 1-4 PPVs, and was the reason that a merchandising department was really started.

Austin may have made more money in one year, but that's only because of the time he came along. And the reason he had those things was due to Hogan's influence.

Don't ever use that argument again, because it is incredibly short-sighted. Know what else is an indisputable fact? The WWF/E's best financial year came in 2000. And Austin played very little part in the year 2000.

2) Learn to think for yourself. Everything you say is "Dave Meltzer this, and Dave Meltzer that". Dave Meltzer is an idiot. I think you referred to him as an "expert" on wrestling. What makes him an expert? The fact he printed newspapers in his mother's basement?

He's not an expert, he's an idiot who seems to think his opinion actually matters to anyone. In reality, his opinion only matters to people who lack the ability to think for themselves. He's never worked in the business, he's never stepped foot in the ring, and he thinks pro wrestling is about choreography, and not about entertainment, a notion that has been repeatedly shot down by EVERY important person in wrestling history. So, to try and use some arbitrary and completely biased fan's opinions on matches to make a point is completely ludicrous.

3) Ric Flair was, at best, an average worker. And Randy Savage was three times the worker Flair could ever dream of being.

4) If Steve Austin hadn't been hurt, and was still main-eventing today, that would give him 10 years of main-eventing in the WWF/E.

Hulk Hogan main-evented from 1979-2002. Steve Austin still wouldn't have HALF the amount of time that Hogan main-evented. And that's even assuming that Austin would have remained the top draw he was, which is highly doubtful.

5) There is no doubt that an argument can be made for Steve Austin being better, but your argument is terrible and full of flaws in logic and quality. You need to pick a new route to debate, because the one you chose is ridiculous.

Especially since Hogan was better.

EDIT: On a side note, I would like to point out that this is the SHORT version.

I'm turning into OneBigWill.

LOL I would have to say Sly is right on the money with everything he said. Austin while very entertaining and fun to watch, can not compare to Hogan. Hogan can not be compared with ANYONE of today in the last decade. I highly doubt ANYONE will touch what Hogan has accomplish in wrestling so in a sense, this topic is kinda silly as anyone with common sense already know the answer to this question.

To Raccoon:

I would just like to say that, for the most part, I like your method of argumentation. While I personally wouldn't use such subjective and atomistic measures as Meltzer's match ratings to form the foundation of my argument, I do like the fact that you are using quantifiable (though not necessarily objective) data for the purpose of making inferences. It is much better than the unsubstantiated and refutable revisionist history that is occasionally found on these boards.

But, I digress. It is now time for me to reply to some of the claims that both underestimate Austin's impact and overestimate Hogan's impact.

And as I've said before - if it had not been for Hogan, there would not even have BEEN a WWE for Austin to carry, especially not in the way he did. Not only because WWE would not have been as big as it became without Hogan, but mainly because of the nWo angle, which, as I said, first introduced the whole "Attitude" idea that Vince took up, and together with Austin brought to perfection. If there had not been a WCW at that time for Hogan to go, if there had not been a nWo, I think we would have seen a VERY different type of era than the "Attitude" we know. Austin, like every great star, and most importantly like Hogan himself, was the right guy, with the right gimmick, at the right time.

Two points to make on this statement. One, it might be true that, without Hogan, there would have been no WWF/E for Austin to carry. However, the key word in the preceding sentence is "carry." It is not as if Hogan left behind a thriving and popular company when he jumped ship to WCW. In reality, he left a company that was already in decline and that was on the verge of collapse three years after his departure. When Austin took helm of the WWF/E ship, he admittedly didn't have to reinvent the wheel, but what he did have to do was pretty darn close to it.

Two, while the competition WCW gave to WWF/E was sufficient for the WWF/E's experimentation at this time, neither WCW nor the nWo were necessary for this experimentation and its subsequent success. What was necessary for this experimentation was ECW; it was from this organization that the WWF/E acquired its inspiration for the Attitude Era. Furthermore, once one takes away the feeling of astonishment that Hogan's heel-turn created, the nWo is nowhere near as edgy and dark as people made it out to be.

However, Hogan needed that luck only the first time around. The second time, with the nWo, it was a different day and age. And he STILL managed to be the measuring stick, even way past his prime physically, even after basically already having HAD a career that would be enough to boast about for any man; and that I simply cannot attribute to "luck" or "chance" alone anymore; this more than anything shows the great, great talent that Hogan undoubtedly had. He could get people to watch the product. Whether with Hulkamania, or with the nWo - but it was always Hogan who got people watching in the first place. So that is the reason why I put Hogan over Austin. Not because he led wrestling to new heights. So did Austin. But because Hogan did it TWICE.

I think this is a very widely-held misconception. In my opinion, the nWo didn't need Hogan to become popular; Hogan needed the nWo to remain relevant. I base my opinion off of Eric Bischoff's book, "Controversy Creates Cash." Within this book, Bischoff makes two very important points. First, Hogan failed to make the big impact that Bischoff expected him to make upon entering WCW in the summer of 1994. Two, Hogan only joined the nWo because Sting (Bischoff's first choice) proved reluctant to turn heel and join the nWo and also because Hogan thought it would be a good change for himself (I can't fault Hogan's business acumen here). Furthermore, even though Hogan was touted as the leader of the nWo, I could not reasonably say that he proved to be the main reason for its success. I think an analogy between the nWo and "Apocalypse Now" would really clarify my point here. As everyone film buff knows, "Apocalypse Now" is considered to be one of the greatest American films ever made. Similarly, the nWo is considered to be one of the greatest heel stables ever assembled in professional wrestling. However, what made each great and ultimately popular had little to do with who was billed as the main attraction (in the nWo's case, this would be Hogan; in the case of "Apocalypse Now," this would be Marlon Brando). What made each great and ultimately popular were those who directed (for the nWo, Eric Bischoff; for "Apocalypse Now," Francis Ford Coppola) and those who had the majority of screen time (for the nWo, the Outsiders; for "Apocalypse Now," Martin Sheen). Sure, both Hogan and Brando added to the aforementioned ventures; however, both contributed less than their counterparts to the greatness and success of these ventures.

And of course, the argument will always be - "Yes, but the ratings were highest in WWE when Austin was champ/was there etc. etc. etc." - Which indeed may be so; however I urge everyone to consider what was necessary in the first place in order to even get into an environment where such ratings where even possible. Todays ratings I believe aren't even half what they were then... but they FIRST were very much above today's standards (just as a comparison) in WCW, when the nWo thing started, and they remained there for the better part of 2 years I believe, until WWE finally was able to catch up (undeniably because of guys like Austin, but also Rock, HHH, HBK, Bret Hart to some extent), and the interest they gathered was partly because the huge interest WAS ALREADY THERE because of WWE's competition in WCW. People just wanted to see what both products had to offer, and when WCW's product began its decline, and WWE was just more or less coming into its own Attitude era, they of course managed to defeat it, simply because their product at the time was better - just as WCW's had been better in those two years before - because of - again - Hulk Hogan, and because it was HIM who led the nWo angle above anyone else, and who thus led wrestling to those unprecedented heights once again, way before Austin even appeared in the Main Event scene.

Undoubtedly, during this time period, there was enough interest in wrestling that viewers were there for the taking. But, I think there was more of a causative link between Austin and WWF/E's ratings ascendancy than you let on. During this time, Nitro and Raw were on at the same time. Sure, people could have taped one of the shows and watched the other live or some people may have had the benefit of (a then fledgling) DVR technology. However, for the majority of wrestling fans (both casual and die-hard), there was a choice. And, as ratings data show, beginning in 1998 with Austin's run as the face of WWF/E, Nitro ratings fell while Raw ratings concomitantly rose.

The question remains - and I answer subjectively to this - Could someone else have done what Austin did? And considering there were guys like HHH, HBK and Rock among his generation, who became almost equally big stars, I might be inclined to say yes. Someone else could have been "The Texas Rattlesnake". Could someone else, of his generation, have been Hulk Hogan? I would be inclinded to say no.

For both of your questions, I would be inclined to say no. No one else could have accomplished what Austin and Hogan accomplished. Of the three wrestlers that you mention in the preceding portion, the only one that can come close to Austin in terms of popularity is the Rock. And, without his initial feud with Austin, the Rock would have failed to make as big of an impact on the wrestling industry as he eventually made.

Two points to make on this statement. One, it might be true that, without Hogan, there would have been no WWF/E for Austin to carry. However, the key word in the preceding sentence is "carry." It is not as if Hogan left behind a thriving and popular company when he jumped ship to WCW. In reality, he left a company that was already in decline and that was on the verge of collapse three years after his departure.
On the verge of collapse because Hogan was spearheading the next boom period.

Please try to look at the WHOLE picture. If not for Hogan and the nWo, it's entirely possible Stone Cold Steve Austin never even happens.

Two, while the competition WCW gave to WWF/E was sufficient for the WWF/E's experimentation at this time, neither WCW nor the nWo were necessary for this experimentation and its subsequent success. What was necessary for this experimentation was ECW; it was from this organization that the WWF/E acquired its inspiration for the Attitude Era.
Complete and utter ridiculousness. You quote Eric Bischoff's book later on, so why are you bringing that nonsense now.

No one gave a crap about ECW, it was WCW that the WWF ripped off. Only the WWF did it better, and wasn't handcuffed like WCW was.

The nWo was a ripped off gimmick itself, but it was still brought to America by Bischoff and played by Hogan and the nWo. And it was only after Hogan made it wildly successful, did the WWF change their strategy and begin going after the same type of fans.

Furthermore, once one takes away the feeling of astonishment that Hogan's heel-turn created, the nWo is nowhere near as edgy and dark as people made it out to be.
And yet, the biggest feud in the 1990s was Hogan vs. Sting, long after the formation of the nWo.

So...this statement is pretty much false.

I think this is a very widely-held misconception. In my opinion, the nWo didn't need Hogan to become popular; Hogan needed the nWo to remain relevant.
Bull. Complete and utter ridiculousness.

What makes you think that two guys who never drew a dime in their life would suddenly become massive draws? Kevin Nash is one of the two worst drawing WWF champions in history, and Razor was never even trusted to be champion.

The simple fact is that HOGAN is what made the nWo so important. Nash and Hall were the "cool" sidekicks. They actually got cheered, not booed. But HOGAN was the one who got booed, and made it possible for the whole nWo vs. WCW angle to work.

The nWo vs. WCW angle was TOTALLY based on the evil nWo trying to overthrow the Good Guy WCW. If the nWo got cheered (like Hall and Nash did), what good is that storyline? It isn't. It was Hogan that made the nWo get booed, and it was Hogan that moved the drawing meter.

Saying otherwise is just not smart.

I base my opinion off of Eric Bischoff's book, "Controversy Creates Cash." Within this book, Bischoff makes two very important points. First, Hogan failed to make the big impact that Bischoff expected him to make upon entering WCW in the summer of 1994.
And yet, STILL turned WCW from a company losing money hand over fist, into a company turning a profit every month.

Was it Hulkamania part 2? No, but it did make WCW financially successful, for the first time in its history.

And, as ratings data show, beginning in 1998 with Austin's run as the face of WWF/E, Nitro ratings fell while Raw ratings concomitantly rose.
You say you read Bischoff's book, and then try to pass this stuff off as fact that Austin was the better draw?

The fact is that the WCW couldn't put on the type of programming that the WWF was, the type of programming that was drawing at the time, the type of programming they were doing before the WWF ripped them off and stepped it up a notch.

Thus, since Bischoff wasn't a very good booker, they kept going back, over and over, to the ONE storyline that had ever brought them success, and by the time Goldberg beat Hogan (a stupid move) on Nitro, the nWo was done and had nothing left in the tank. But since Bischoff couldn't think of anything else, and was handicapped to begin with, the quality of WCW programming went straight down the drain, while the WWF took off.

WCW's fall had as much to do with the WWF's rise in ratings as anything.

For both of your questions, I would be inclined to say no. No one else could have accomplished what Austin and Hogan accomplished. Of the three wrestlers that you mention in the preceding portion, the only one that can come close to Austin in terms of popularity is the Rock. And, without his initial feud with Austin, the Rock would have failed to make as big of an impact on the wrestling industry as he eventually made.
Had the Rock stayed in wrestling, he would have surpassed what Austin did. Without a doubt.

But, there is NO ONE who could have done what Hogan did.

Twice.

On the verge of collapse because Hogan was spearheading the next boom period.

Please try to look at the WHOLE picture. If not for Hogan and the nWo, it's entirely possible Stone Cold Steve Austin never even happens.

Yes, it is true that WCW gave the WWF/E a run for its money. And, yes, there may not have been a need for someone like Steve Austin had the WCW never stepped up the competition. But, the fact remains that Austin was given the ball and he ran with it. The only thing WCW and the nWo gave Austin was an opportunity.

Complete and utter ridiculousness. You quote Eric Bischoff's book later on, so why are you bringing that nonsense now.

No one gave a crap about ECW, it was WCW that the WWF ripped off. Only the WWF did it better, and wasn't handcuffed like WCW was.

The nWo was a ripped off gimmick itself, but it was still brought to America by Bischoff and played by Hogan and the nWo. And it was only after Hogan made it wildly successful, did the WWF change their strategy and begin going after the same type of fans.

Honestly, sir, this is the reason I fail to see the point in replying to you sometimes. No matter how vociferous and impassioned your replies may be, they remain for the large part opinions that you try pass off as fact. No one gave a crap about ECW? I won't even entertain this notion. Furthermore, how exactly did Hogan make the nWo successful? During his stint in the nWo, he never did house shows. Moreover, during Nitro, he rarely wrestled. In actuality, he, more often than not, just came out to cut a 10 minute promo on either Rowdy Roddy Piper or Sting while "air-guitaring" his belt.

And yet, the biggest feud in the 1990s was Hogan vs. Sting, long after the formation of the nWo.

So...this statement is pretty much false.

Are you going off of buyrates here? If you are going off of hype, then maybe this is true. But, numbers-wise, this was far from the biggest feud of the 1990s. Furthermore, it can be argued that it heralded WCW's demise as it was such a big letdown.

Bull. Complete and utter ridiculousness.

What makes you think that two guys who never drew a dime in their life would suddenly become massive draws? Kevin Nash is one of the two worst drawing WWF champions in history, and Razor was never even trusted to be champion.

How does their time in WWF/E have anything to do with their subsequent run in WCW? What, just because they failed to post numbers as big as Hogan in WWF/E means that they were forever doomed to middling numbers, and thus could never rightly claim a part in boosting WCW's ratings and buyrates? Wow, so by this logic, it is highly doubtful that the Undertaker was ever a draw since he failed to draw a dime as Mean Mark in WCW.

The simple fact is that HOGAN is what made the nWo so important. Nash and Hall were the "cool" sidekicks. They actually got cheered, not booed. But HOGAN was the one who got booed, and made it possible for the whole nWo vs. WCW angle to work.

The nWo vs. WCW angle was TOTALLY based on the evil nWo trying to overthrow the Good Guy WCW. If the nWo got cheered (like Hall and Nash did), what good is that storyline? It isn't. It was Hogan that made the nWo get booed, and it was Hogan that moved the drawing meter.

More opinion passed off as fact.

And yet, STILL turned WCW from a company losing money hand over fist, into a company turning a profit every month.

Was it Hulkamania part 2? No, but it did make WCW financially successful, for the first time in its history.

You say you read Bischoff's book, and then try to pass this stuff off as fact that Austin was the better draw?

You are putting words in my mouth. In my first post in this thread, I said that Hogan was the biggest draw of all time. The only point I tried to make with my second thread is that when people compare Hogan and Austin, they tend to overestimate Hogan's popularity while underestimating Austin's popularity. And I have no idea how you inferred from my reading of Bischoff's book that I concluded that Austin was the biggest draw.

The fact is that the WCW couldn't put on the type of programming that the WWF was, the type of programming that was drawing at the time, the type of programming they were doing before the WWF ripped them off and stepped it up a notch.

Thus, since Bischoff wasn't a very good booker, they kept going back, over and over, to the ONE storyline that had ever brought them success, and by the time Goldberg beat Hogan (a stupid move) on Nitro, the nWo was done and had nothing left in the tank. But since Bischoff couldn't think of anything else, and was handicapped to begin with, the quality of WCW programming went straight down the drain, while the WWF took off.

WCW's fall had as much to do with the WWF's rise in ratings as anything.

What exactly did WWF/E rip off from WCW during this time? Cruiserweights? The WWF/E really only had one cruiserweight at this time: Taka Michinoku. Bringing in celebrities to wrestle or act as special guest enforcers? That had been done since the 80s. The nWo? Sure, WWF/E had Degeneration-X, but I would say that it was the brainchild of Shawn Michaels and HHH (two people who thought things out the same way Hall and Nash tended to think things out).

In actuality, the WWF/E stepped up the raunch factor and straight up spanked WCW. Sure, WCW probably had stricter moral guidelines than WWF/E (at the time), but that still doesn't take away the fact that they were owned (and, if raunch was indeed a factor, why didn't WCW rebound when Russo jumped ship?). Moreover, WCW's demise began before Hogan dropped the belt to Goldberg; this was nothing more than a last ditch effort to stay in the race.

Had the Rock stayed in wrestling, he would have surpassed what Austin did. Without a doubt.

Well, this is actually open to speculation, since we will never what would have happened had the Rock stayed longer.

Fox: you seem to have missed the closing paragraph in my second post where I point out that I don't really give a d@mn who drew the most money, or reached the greatest heights of popularity at their peak in WWE. I don't understand why newbie smarks like you talk about that kind of stuff, because peformers in other avenues of entertainment have always been able to draw much more money than we see circulated through pro wrestling, so why not talk about them instead? To pure wrestling fans, enjoyment of the product is based on quality performances in the ring. And you know what "drawing money" really means? It means you are able to draw fans who do not inherently enjoy the wrestling product! Essentially, an ananthema for pure wrestling fans. When these casual fans tune into to see Hulk Hogan for his comic book character physique, and incredible charisma, and become the majority of the pro wrestling audience, the product is altered for the worse. Thank God ROH came along and changed all that. They know who their fan base is, and their Code of Honor guarantees no sports-entertainment BS.

Dave Meltzer is an idiot. I think you referred to him as an "expert" on wrestling. What makes him an expert?

Dave Meltzer is profoundly respected, not just by the most venerable names in pro wrestling, such as Bret Hart, Ric Flair, and Shawn Michaels, but among his peers in sports-journalism as one of the very best in--not just wrestling--but the entire sports industry. Frank Denford, one of the most noted and tenured writers at Sports Illustrated called Meltzer, "the most accomplished reporter in sports-journalism." Meltzer has written for the LA Times, the second most widely read newspaper in the US, and has appeared numerous times on national television and in film as a respected authority on wrestling. Flair praised Meltzer in his book, and said that Hogan was obsessed with what Meltzer would write about him in the Observer. Meltzer is also quoted numerous times in Flair's book. If you have not read Flair's autobiography, Piper's, and Terry Funk's, get out of my face until you do--you don't know a damn thing about the wrestling industry. A wrestling fan who has not read these books, and critiqes the industry could be likened to an art critic who doesn't know who the Father of Modern painting is--you have no business speaking of that which you do not know. Even Vince McMahon reads the Observer--promoters have changed the direction of their product based on what Meltzer has written in the Observer! And here "you" are labeling him an "idiot." LOL That's not what the most important people in the wrestling business and sports-journalism think...

3) Ric Flair was, at best, an average worker.

LOL...I believe Shawn Michaels, Ricky Steamboat, and Triple H would beg to differ with you on that point, but of course, you know a hell of a lot more than they do...

The Raccoon outslys the fox...who knew? Consider yourself pwnd...

Just wondering, but who's Dave Meltzer?

Anyway I am going to go with the consensus that Hulk Hogan is better than Stone Cold Steve Austin, lets face it the guy fucking started 2 booms in the wrestling business, first in the 80's and although I wasnt around to see Hogan the fact is I knew his name long before I tuned into my first wrestling show.

The second with the NWO which I was around to see and is what made me a wrestling fan. I wanted the NWO to lose. I wanted them to get beaten and I could only watch a WCW highlights show. Thats the effect they had.

Then along came Stone Cold Steve Austin, while at the time one of my favourites was Bret Hart I along with everyone else booed Hart at wrestlemania because of Austin, the thing about Austin is it wasnt long before I was cheering The Rock over him, at WM 17 both guys were faces but I wanted Rock to win (obviously Austin turned heel during the match anyway).

When Hogan returned to the WWE I hated him, I hated him because he was a heel and I wanted the Rock to beat him, as soon as Hogan turned face I was back on the bandwagon, I had never seen 80's Hogan but all the same I was cheering for this guy like no other, thats the affect he had on people, you just loved Hulk Hogan.

Enough of my personal opinions though, I already stated that Hogan started 2 booms in wrestling, forced the WWE to step up their game and still had another title run waiting for him when he returned to the WWE. While there is no doubt in my mind that Stone Cold Steve Austin is one of the main reason's that WWE survived the monday night wars, there is also no doubt in my mind that Hulk Hogan is the MAIN reason the wrestling industry is in the position it is.

tdigle, I'll respond to you tomorrow.
Fox: you seem to have missed the closing paragraph in my second post where I point out that I don't really give a d@mn who drew the most money, or reached the greatest heights of popularity at their peak in WWE.
No, I just didn't give a rats ass about it.

Because how else do you measure the quality of a worker, aside from the number of people he entertained, and the degree to which he did his job?

I don't understand why newbie smarks like you talk about that kind of stuff,
:lmao:

Newbie smarks? I've been moderating on this forum longer than you've been a member. And I think I'm one of the newest mods here.

We talk about that kind of stuff BECAUSE IT'S IMPORTANT. Because it's an objective measure, which determines the entertainment value of a wrestler. No one with half a brain gives a damn what subjective opinion Dave Meltzer gives. What you SHOULD care about is how WRESTLING FANS THINK. And wrestling fans cared more and longer about Hogan than they did Austin.

because peformers in other avenues of entertainment have always been able to draw much more money than we see circulated through pro wrestling, so why not talk about them instead?
Why would I talk about a singer in a discussion comparing two professional wrestlers?

That would be idiotic.

To pure wrestling fans, enjoyment of the product is based on quality performances in the ring.
And who determines the "quality" of those performances, hmm? You? Me? Meltzer? Hart? Flair? Savage? Keller? Bischoff? McMahon?

Nope...the wrestling fans, the collective audience decides who is worth paying to see and who isn't. So get off your horse about how you are somehow important in the world of wrestling and open your fucking eyes already to the fact that it is the entire wrestling audience who chooses who is good and who is not.

And you know what "drawing money" really means?
Yes, it means that the person playing the character is doing their job very well, with their job being to entertain fans enough to pay money.

What the fuck else could it possibly mean?

It means you are able to draw fans who do not inherently enjoy the wrestling product!
That makes ZERO amount of sense.

Zero.

Essentially, an ananthema for pure wrestling fans. When these casual fans tune into to see Hulk Hogan for his comic book character physique, and incredible charisma, and become the majority of the pro wrestling audience, the product is altered for the worse. Thank God ROH came along and changed all that. They know who their fan base is, and their Code of Honor guarantees no sports-entertainment BS.
Holy fuck, you people are the most blind fans in the world. In fact, I'm not sure you qualify as fans, just ignorant people who think they know more than they really do.

ROH is shit. It's boring and unentertaining. The workrate is the pits, the psychology is basically non-existent and the in-ring storytelling is more loathsome than a Jose Canseco tell-all book. Wrestling is NOT about guys laying around for 40 minutes pretending to do fake moves on each other, it's about making fans show up and put down their hard earned money for an entertaining show.

You are delusional. You seem to think there is a higher "art" to wrestling. There isn't. And any wrestler worth his salt will tell you the same thing. Hell, most already have. Quality wrestlers are not choreographers, they are entertainers, guys who play their character so well people pay to watch them pretend fight.

Seriously, it's time to start thinking for yourself.

Dave Meltzer is profoundly respected, not just by the most venerable names in pro wrestling, such as Bret Hart, Ric Flair, and Shawn Michaels
Wait...three guys that Meltzer repeatedly sucks the dick of, and they like him? Go figure.

Why don't you ask Bret Hart's opinion of Meltzer back in '92, when Meltzer erroneously claimed that Flair carried Hart in a certain match. Of course, Meltzer wasn't even there, he just printed it anyways.

The only time Bret Hart started respecting Meltzer is when Meltzer started sucking Bret's proverbial penis. A "veteran smark" like yourself should know this. Hell, Bret all but admits it in his book.

but among his peers in sports-journalism as one of the very best in--not just wrestling--but the entire sports industry. Frank Denford, one of the most noted and tenured writers at Sports Illustrated called Meltzer, "the most accomplished reporter in sports-journalism." Meltzer has written for the LA Times, the second most widely read newspaper in the US, and has appeared numerous times on national television and in film as a respected authority on wrestling. Flair praised Meltzer in his book, and said that Hogan was obsessed with what Meltzer would write about him in the Observer. Meltzer is also quoted numerous times in Flair's book. If you have not read Flair's autobiography, Piper's, and Terry Funk's, get out of my face until you do--you don't know a damn thing about the wrestling industry. A wrestling fan who has not read these books, and critiqes the industry could be likened to an art critic who doesn't know who the Father of Modern painting is--you have no business speaking of that which you do not know. Even Vince McMahon reads the Observer--promoters have changed the direction of their product based on what Meltzer has written in the Observer! And here "you" are labeling him an "idiot." LOL That's not what the most important people in the wrestling business and sports-journalism think...[/I]
*yawn*
Those people in power who read the Observer call him an idiot. McMahon has done so, Eric Bischoff devoted an entire chapter to calling him an idiot, Triple H has repeatedly condemned "dirt sheet" writers, etc.

Meltzer is an idiot, and any fool with a brain can see his biases ALWAYS favors "underdogs". Just go back and look at all of his ratings. He praises the lesser knowns, I presume because he thinks it makes him "smarter" than everyone else. It's just stupidity that anyone would actually take Meltzer's ratings seriously to try and prove an argument about who is better between two wrestlers.

Ask yourself this. All of these guys that Meltzer labeled as great...how come NONE of them were ever successful? Speaking of American workers, of course, if they were such great workers, and Meltzer is so smart, how come none of them came close to have the success of the Hogans or the Rocks or the Austins?

Answer? Because they are NOT great like Meltzer has tried to claim.

LOL...I believe Shawn Michaels, Ricky Steamboat, and Triple H would beg to differ with you on that point, but of course, you know a hell of a lot more than they do...
And Randy Savage, Ole Anderson, Bret Hart, etc. would agree completely.

But, of course, you know more than they do...:rolleyes:

The Raccoon outslys the fox...who knew? Consider yourself pwnd..
Yes, because faulty logic and an inability to think for yourself is the best way to win arguments.

Whenever you have to end your post by announcing a "pwn", then you know your argument is completely crap.

Do me a favor. Before wasting anybody else's time here, go back to the fourth grade and learn what "thinking for yourself" means. Until then, I'm not wasting anymore time on what Mr. Gilbertti has affectionately labeled a "Meltzerbot".

Thank you, and good night. Consider yourself "owned". Or whatever the hell you tried to say earlier. Either way, I win, you lose.

No Brainer, Hogan, and it's not even close. In reality, it's not even a topic for discussion, that's how much better and bigger Hulk Hogan is then Steve Austin. There's a reason why Austin to this day ducks a match with Hogan, he's terrified that what happened to the Rock at WM 18 would happen to him. Austin's ego would never let that down. Hulk Hogan yesterday, Hulk Hogan today, and Hulk Hogan tomorrow is a bigger name, a bigger commodity, a bigger star then Steve Austin. Hulk Hogan on his worst day was a bigger star then Steve Austin on his best day. It's really plain and simple.

Steve Austin headlined a show 3 times that Hulk Hogan made famous. Without Hulk Hogan, no one would give a shit about Austin's matches at Wrestlemania, because there would have been no Wrestlemania. Without Hogan leading the second boom period, McMahon never would have let Stone Cold even be born. There is no argument, it's just fact, Hogan > Austin, in every way, shape and form.

All right, I said I would respond to you, and so here it is.
Yes, it is true that WCW gave the WWF/E a run for its money. And, yes, there may not have been a need for someone like Steve Austin had the WCW never stepped up the competition. But, the fact remains that Austin was given the ball and he ran with it. The only thing WCW and the nWo gave Austin was an opportunity.
Sure, Austin did a great job. No doubt.

But you mentioned that he took a bad company and saved it. All I'm saying is that he wouldn't have had to save it if Hogan hadn't nearly killed it.

No one gave a crap about ECW? I won't even entertain this notion.
No, no one gave a crap about ECW. It was a small-time regional fed, with no mainstream exposure and catered to a VERY small portion of a diehard wrestling audience, who didn't care about wrestling as much as they did senseless violence and gratuitous sex themes. No one cared about them. At ECW's PEAK, they catered to less than 10% of the available wrestling audience. Less than 10%. Compare that to TNA now, who has about a 1/3 of the available wrestling audience. And TNA has to compete with more TV stations for that audience.

It was only when WCW began with their edgy product, redefining how wrestling TV was broadcast that the WWF changed their product to match, and then surpass.

Furthermore, how exactly did Hogan make the nWo successful?
I've already explained this.

Me said:

Are you going off of buyrates here? If you are going off of hype, then maybe this is true. But, numbers-wise, this was far from the biggest feud of the 1990s. Furthermore, it can be argued that it heralded WCW's demise as it was such a big letdown.
I'm going by ALL indicators of business. General revenue, profit, merchandise sales, PPV buy rates, ratings, etc.

It WAS the biggest feud between two wrestlers in the 90s.

How does their time in WWF/E have anything to do with their subsequent run in WCW? What, just because they failed to post numbers as big as Hogan in WWF/E means that they were forever doomed to middling numbers, and thus could never rightly claim a part in boosting WCW's ratings and buyrates?
These are two guys who were NEVER over enough to move drawing needles, and STILL don't move them. They have NEVER done it without Hulk Hogan.

Wow, so by this logic, it is highly doubtful that the Undertaker was ever a draw since he failed to draw a dime as Mean Mark in WCW.
The difference is that Mean Mark wasn't a main-eventer. These guys were.

More opinion passed off as fact.
No, this is one time where it is NOT opinion passed off as fact.

The nWo storyline worked because of ONE reason. Because wrestling fans bought into the "taking over" storyline, and treated the nWo as heels because of it. Thus, nWo vs. WCW was successful because you had a heel group vs. a face group. It's wrestling booking 101. It's the time tested and proved true method of moneymaking. Evil Heel vs. Good Face.

But, Hall and Nash didn't get booed. They got cheered. They were the "cool heel", the heels that fans wanted to be. If not for Hogan, then these guys would have been cheered, which would have COMPLETELY wiped out the "Evil" nWo vs. the "Good" WCW. Hogan was THE person to make it work, the one guy who was able to make marks and smarks throw cups and cans and trash at in bitter anger.

This isn't opinion. This IS fact. The nWo story worked because they were an antagonist. Without the antagonist, you can't have the hero. Without an antagonist and a hero, you've got no story.

What exactly did WWF/E rip off from WCW during this time?
The "Attitude". The envelope pushing storylines, the catering to the teenage market, the pushing of the badasses as the faces, the growing up of the product. Oh yeah, and...

In actuality, the WWF/E stepped up the raunch factor and straight up spanked WCW.
That too. Another thing the WWF/E ripped off. Before "Attitude" they were the clean cut family show. After the edgy WCW Nitro program kicked their ass, week after week, they changed and stole WCW's style of promotion, and just took it to another level.

It's all in Bischoff's book.

Sure, WCW probably had stricter moral guidelines than WWF/E (at the time), but that still doesn't take away the fact that they were owned
You are absolutely right. The WWF took WCW's own style of promoting and kicked their ass with it.

No doubt. Which explains why Austin's WWF overtook Hogan's WCW. Which is the point I was making in the first place.

Moreover, WCW's demise began before Hogan dropped the belt to Goldberg; this was nothing more than a last ditch effort to stay in the race.
Actually, this is true and not true. January 1998 was the greatest profit making month in WCW history, if I remember correctly. Hogan vs. Sting was a major disappointment, but WCW was still hot, and Goldberg was a superstar in the making.

There are a lot of factors in the demise of WCW, not the least of which was Starrcade 1997. But, WCW, if given free will and booked correctly, could still have competed with the WWF, despite Starrcade and the first few months of 1998.

Well, this is actually open to speculation, since we will never what would have happened had the Rock stayed longer.
I don't think it's open to much speculation. The Rock had already surpassed Austin's popularity, was the key figure in the best financial year in WWF/E history, and was still very young with incredible talent that would never fail him (his mic skills).

I think most people would agree that Rock would have become a bigger character in wrestling history if he hadn't left. He would have possibly even reached Hogan levels of drawing.

I was meaning to do this with respect to one of Sly's earlier posts, but since The Rock was once again mentioned, I'm going to leave my two cents on this now.

For once more, I completely agree with Sly on basically everything he said. It would seem that a lot of people seem to believe only because WCW went down the drain and WWE survived in the end, that WWE was inherently, at all times, the better product - which is simply put, not true; as has been pointed out time and time again. WWE at the time Hogan started the nWo was at a loss for ideas, they were losing their audience, and had NO CLUE whatsoever to do in how to get them back. And seriously, no one can tell me that it was not he nWo angle, with the Heel Of Heels Hulk Hogan as its leader, that introduced the entire spirit of what would make the much later Attitude Era so great.

The fact that the nWo wouldn't abide by any rules; the fact that they would do and not do what the hell they ever wanted; that they would attack authority figures (the then-still face Eric Bischoff), the way WCW finally managed to blur that line between fiction and reality in their "invasion" angle, which happens so seldomly in wrestling but which ultimately works best - does that not reek like "DX"? When the "rebels" HBK and HHH were making fun of Vinnie Mac week in and week out, when they were "invading" WCW with a tank, or when of course Stone Cold Steve Austin would literally kick McMahon's butt week in and week out - no one could possibly deny that all of these things, WCW and nWo had done 2 years before.

Did the WWE do it better? Well, that is a matter of opinion. To some extent, they definitely did. But mostly because they had more options and more free reign to do it. Vinnie Mac was desperate at the time, and desperate men take desperate measures. He saw that the WCW/nWo's "attitude" was working, took it, turned the volume up, and then basically passed it as his own creation - except that the ideas had already all been born in Bischoff's, Hogan's and whoever else was in WCW creative, head then. He had great guys to run with, especially of course Austin, but also, and this is where I want to lead this post, The Rock.

Now while Austin to this day still gets huge pops when he makes his one-off appearances a couple of times a year. But he, maybe even more so than Hogan, just continues to live off this reputation he built in his heyday, through his feuds with the McMahons. He does nothing new whatsoever. Just comes out, Stunners people, drinks beer. No story, no sense, no purpose. Just to elicit a cheap pop (albeit a tremendously huge one) at that.

However, Hogan still gets those pops, and even in his last appearances against HBK and Orton, he still was up to creating a nice storyline to go with it, to give the feud some reason. Even if it were never great stories; still, Hogan put more effort into it even if he needed it less than even Austin. And for that reason, I still take any Summerslam appearance of Hogan in 2005 or 2006 over Austin's random run-ins and appearances for no particular reason on any given day.

However The Rock is a whole different story. While I do think that Austin was a capable wrestler, and more importantly the right guy at the right time, I daresay that Rock would have been the right guy at ANY time. Simply because he is THAT good.

While Austin definitely was good on the mic - Rock was stellar. And Rock had something that even Austin lacked. For while Austin was playing his role to the best extent possible, and while he was doing all he could to make it work (and it worked big time, no doubt about it) - the Rock simply oozed charisma naturally. Of course he sucked as "Rocky Maivia", but how old was he at the time?! 24? So I believe everyone will excuse him for not being great from the get-go. But considering how quickly he rose to superstardom, being possible the greatest active star of his generation when he had his last official match in WWE, you have to give him all the credit in the world. Hardly anyone else could have done that. Except maybe for a Hulk Hogan, who also had achieved something similar. But that is because Rock, just as Hogan, just had that certain something that would make them work, and work well, in every type of environment.

Austin, he could only be "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. No one cared about him when he was "Stunning" Steve in WCW, no one cared about "The Ringmaster". But "Stone Cold" worked. However nothing else would have, and nothing else would today. Hogan on the other hand, worked huge as "The Immortal", and he worked huge as "Hollywood". The Rock worked huge at being The Rock; and he, in my mind, could do anything Austin did and still add to it. I firmly believe that The Rock is/was the most naturally charismatic superstar of all time second only to Hulk Hogan - and as has been said - if he had stayed in wrestling (and he could have had another great 5-10 years even), he would have become a bigger legend, bigger icon, bigger star than Austin ever could have been. Of course people will forever love Austin for his part in the Attitude Era, and quite rightly so. But I highly doubt he could ever have reinvented himself the way The Rock could. People wanted Stone Cold, and they would accept nothing less. Austin has so been pinned down on this particular gimmick, there would be no escaping for him. The Rock on the other hand, even to his last appearances in WWE, always kept reinventing himself to a certain degree. Of course he always was "The Rock", with his catchphrases and mannerism, but he also always found new ways to be entertaining. And there is NO ONE in wrestling, past or present, who could beat The Rock on the mic, not even Hogan or Piper, in my opinion. His greatest strength, and the factor that would eventually have given Rock much much more longevity than Austin, was his adaptability. He could deal very well with any given opponent, both inside the ring and outside; he was a tremendous seller in his matches, and as a wrestler physically talented enough to make him exciting to watch, even on top of his incredible charisma and mic skills. So I for one firmly believe that had he stayed, we would now still talk about the great and funny things Rock has done a year ago, or last month. If that would be the case with Austin as well, after five more years of Stunners and beer, and nothing else; I am not too certain. Even DX did not work that exceptionally well the second time around, and people would also have grown tired of Austin's routine at some point if you ask me. And I just think that he simply would have been way too confined into his "Stone Cold" part that he would have had a much much harder time to keep himself interesting than the Rock.

Now to get back to the topic, before I get carried away too much. Many people always say how Hogan vs Rock at WM18 only happened because Austin didn't want to do it, and he would have been the true "Icon". But with respect to that I just said, I think that match was perfect the way it was. It was a "passing of the torch" indeed, and to the guy both Vinnie Mac, and Hogan too I believe, otherwise he would hardly have laid down for him twice, saw as the future of the business. And he would have been, if he had not left for other shores. No one can blame him for that, he's making a ton of money and has to work less or at least in a less dangerous environment. It is a damn pity, but I for one can't blame him - as much as I wish he had stayed.

Now to get back to the whole nWo issue... and once again I must state that it indeed was Hogan who made it work. Hall and Nash were what WWE would have in DX: heels, technically, but still people cheered them. Even when they first appeared as "The Outsiders", people remembered them from WWE, and popped. But I still remember myself to this day, when I was sitting in front of the TV, watching that now-historical Bash at the Beach that would change the face of wrestling forever... when Hogan came down to the ring in his red and yellow, pointing at Hall and Nash; everyone was ready for them to get their a**es handed to them, and then, finally... Hogan drops the leg on the Macho Man. And I freaking could not believe my eyes. I guess I was literally jumping up and down the room, thinking "He did not just do that?! He did not just do that?!". Of course I was a little younger at the time than I am now, and I believe thus still entitled to such a mark-out moment haha... but it just laid the groundwork, and it made me watch wrestling again. Simply because I wanted to know what was going to happen next. Would Hogan really become "evil", side with the bad guys? It was the unthinkable - and it happened. And that truly made the nWo the "bad guys". If they managed to corrupt Hulk Hogan - HULK FREAKING HOGAN - they must really be some bad dudes right there. And Hogan became the worst of them, disrespecting everything he had stood for for so many years; that was simply great, great wrestling programming, and it was pulled off by the only one who could have done it in such a fashion, in such grandeur, and simply make it MEAN SO MUCH. Hulk Hogan. Because it was THE Hulk Hogan who turned on everyone. No one else.

And yes, Austin deserves all the credit you want to give him. But he does not, and not even close, deserve anywhere near as much for ANYTHING as Hulk Hogan does. He took what he had, and turned it into the best thing possible. Again, VKM, together with a great star, managed to rule the wrestling world. But it is STILL Hulk Hogan who changed the face of that wrestling world. And he still did it twice. He created not one but two empires; the first he ruled himself, and the second he did too, but then he had to leave it to Austin for a short while - which was not truly his fault either; at least most definitely not only his. But he must always be remembered as being the one who created it in the first place; and if people will not give Hogan that credit, I feel that is extremely short-sighted.

Again, I'm not taking anything from Austin. He was great in his part, he was VKM's millenium version of Hulkamania, shaped rightly for his day and age. But he was not THE Hulkamania, never would have been and never coule have been. Yes, he took the "Attitude" to new levels. But no, it was not him who "invented" it with VKM. It was Hogan, together with Bischoff, who did.

So it should really be a no-brainer. Hogan over Austin any time.

There's a reason why Austin to this day ducks a match with Hogan, he's terrified that what happened to the Rock at WM 18 would happen to him. Austin's ego would never let that down.

Maybe Austin as amused that Hogan wants the match so much, and Austin just says no to wind him up.

Maybe because he's not Shawn Michales and he really can't wrestle again. Or even if he can have one match, it's not worth the risk. He doesn't need the money after all.

He wouldn't get paid as much for that one match as he would have done in his prime. Business is down and in essence he'd have to take a pay cut.

Hulk Hogan on his worst day was a bigger star then Steve Austin on his best day. It's really plain and simple.

Wasn't Hogan's worst day one of those days in WCW when he was on PPV and he wasn't drawing?

I don't really like Austin, I'm just saying.

Also if a match between the two were to happen, then wouldn't WWE build Austin up better than Hogan. It might not be an issue on the night. But during the hype you'd have to assume WWE would try to make Austin look better. Be that because they're scared what could happen to Austin if they didn't, or just WWE burying Hogan because they can.

I had the opportunity to see Hulk Hogan perform at (or near) the begining of his career, and, not for nothing, you just knew even then that this guy was gonna be something BIG. That was around 1979-1980, when he had his original run in the old WWF with Fred Blassie as his manager. His natural charisma, and ability to work a match were in evidence even in those early days, especially his timing and in-ring psychology. I am well aware that the Hulk was NOT an outstanding technical wrestler, but the sheer fact that he carried this entire business on his shoulders for nearly two decades should answer this question without any doubt that Hulk Hogan was superior .

I think you have to judge these two on a few different levels to determine "better". They both made such an impact that you can't probably can't judge their overall effect on the business. I personally like Austin better. I think he did the same thing for wrestling that Hogan did, but for the ADD generation. I had the same "mark-out" moment the other guy on this thread described when Hogan turned, but for me, it came when Austin revealed he was working with Vince McMahon - that inevitable heel turn came sooner in Austin's main event career than Hogan's, but I think that's the direction pro wrestling had to evolve into. To reach Hulkamania-type exposure at a critical time when people were being offered more entertainment options, you have to burn that fuse on a popular character a lot quicker.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, Austin only main evented for 1/4th the time of Hogan, but during that short time he transitioned the business into one that would get 4x the exposure. Now instead of one TV show it's three, or four, and instead of two PPVs a year it's fifteen or some ridiculous shit.

For example, Wrestlemanias I and III, III especially, were probably about the biggest nights of that era of Hogan's career. For WMIII I've seen buyrate numbers as high as 10.2 (I think that's like 4 million views) and 92,000 in attendance. The other PPV that year, Survivor Series, got 2.8 million views, also headlined by Hogan and Andre. So let's say he got 7 million PPV buys his most popular year.

Austin, at the height of the Attitude Era, let's say 1999, headlined RAW as it got 7.0+ ratings multiple times, at a time when even Sunday Night Heat was getting 4.5 ratings (that's a lot better than RAW right now isn't it?). Just for TV, that's at least 40 taped shows, God knows how many house shows. Then he was also in the main event on PPV 10 out of 12 months of the year (not counting a U.K.-only PPV). Of those 10 months, the total PPV buyrate was 13.97 (5,588,000 buys).

So, I don't know, actually.

Was Austin better because despite being on TV for like an hour every week, driving all that ad revenue to WWE, he still pulled down 6 million PPV buys? He was at the focal point of a boom that allowed Vince McMahon to start multiple simulatenous TV shows and tours, as well as expand into internet distribution.

Or Hogan, because he managed to draw the largest crowd in WWE history and achieve ridiculous buyrates a couple times a year? He was the star vehicle that allowed Vince McMahon to start PPV distribution, and as the other poster on this thread said, "basically his whole merchandising department."

On personal preference, I gotta go with Austin, Austin made me start watching wrestling, and having no prior connection to Hogan, I never "got" the nWo thing. It was cool, but this other dude was flipping off his boss and drinking beer in the ring! How are you gonna try to compare to that?

Oh, one other thing, somebody said there probably wouldn't have been a Stone Cold without nWo. I disagree. But to flip that on you, I think there wouldn't be a Hulk Hogan as he exists right now if not for Austin. If Austin hadn't saved the day, WWF would've just gone out of business, and then Hogan and Russo would've destroyed WCW from within anyway, thus damning the legacy of Hulkamania.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back