Hogan v Austin-Who was the bigger star?

I would say Hogan is the bigger star. More people know who he is for a start.

It's not a case of you can't have one without the other though. The stone cold character still could've come to prominence without Hogan but the answer to the question is still Hogan.

Hands down Hulk Hogan. I love Austin, but the Hulkster is a legend upon himself. You cannot deny how popular and iconic Hogan was in the WWF and MTV era in the 80's, then he goes to WCW and becomes an antihero icon with the NWO. Later he returns to the WWE and is still popular as ever. Hogan is truly an icon.

When it comes to the argument of Austin VS Hogan, I have always leaned towards Austin. However, I can understand why many choose hogan. But to those I say this. Austin left a Hulk Hogan sized mark on the wrestling industry while he was with WWE from 1997 - 2003. It took Stone Cold 6 years, that were sometimes thrown up in the air due to neck injuries, to make a legendary pro wrestling legacy, that it took Hulk Hogan arguably 15 years to make. I will always believe that at its white hottest point, Austin 3:16 was hotter than Hulkamania, and had Austin's in ring career continued longer than it did, I don't think this would be as common of an argument as it is today.

Definitely in my opinion I would say Austin is the biggest star in terms of his popularity but in terms of longevity and actually lasting in the ring then I would say Hogan because of his impact on this business but if anything at WrestleMania X-8 instead of it being Hogan vs Rock, it should have been Austin vs Hogan in the Icon vs Legend match and Rock should have been the one to take on Scott Hall

Both Austin and Rock were ultra-hot in their heyday. But personally, I think Austin was bigger, simply for the fact that while they were feuding, Austin was the face. It's a small thing, but it's who we were supposed to cheer for.

Both Austin and Rock were ultra-hot in their heyday. But personally, I think Austin was bigger, simply for the fact that while they were feuding, Austin was the face. It's a small thing, but it's who we were supposed to cheer for.

Personally if Austin and Hogan had went at it it would have made for a better dream match than Rock/Hogan, Austin/Hogan the promo work in the build-up would have been nothing short of extraordinary and the unpredictability factor because no one would know just who would win

Personally if Austin and Hogan had went at it it would have made for a better dream match than Rock/Hogan, Austin/Hogan the promo work in the build-up would have been nothing short of extraordinary and the unpredictability factor because no one would know just who would win

I don't think it would've been as good of a match though. Rock's wrestling style fit Hogan's style better than Austin's style would have.

Still, I would've liked to have seen it!

I will say generally Hogan is a bigger star than Austin.

However, if you ask people my age (born in the mid 80's and therefore a teenager during Austin's prime), Austin is still a huge star. He is remembered well for us. Most people, who aren't wrestling fans at all anymore know the stunner, the 3:16 and "because Stone Cold said so". In fact I'd bet most casual fans my age would consider Austin to be bigger than Hogan, mainly because Hogan is remembered as old, bald and washed up.

Austin was wildly popular for a short period of time. But it's also unfair to Austin to say it was just 3.5-4 years. Those years were accelerated. Austin's prime was accelerated due to the nature of the business at the time. He was on TV every week. He was in multiple segments every week, drawing huge ratings, wrestling on monthly PPVs pulling huge buyrates. Hogan barely appeared on TV from week to week. When he did it was more of a "special occasion" and there were only 1-4 PPV's a year back then. Hogan was far less overexposed due to the nature of the business back then, which allowed his run to last much longer.

I will admit Hogan was huge for a long time, and likely in the grand scheme of things a much larger star. Even though I much prefer Austin... And I think a lot of people in my demographic do as well, and probably consider him to be bigger in a nostalgic sense.

The Rock is bigger than them both but that is due to his incredibly successful movie career. Let's exclude The Rock, because he's had way more mainstream exposure so it's not a very fair comparison.

This depends on how you look at it.

Overall, it's Hogan and there's no real way around that. The guy has been around and prominent for the better part of thirty years. He started modern wrestling and turned it into the worldwide phenomenon that it is today and is a household name because of it. Hogan is the bigger star overall.

Now that being said, Austin reached a level in 1998/1999 that Hogan simply did not hit. Austin was the hottest star in the history of wrestling and carried the WWF on his back to heights that it's never seen before or since. The company was able to go public on the amount of money he brought in with his merchandise sales alone blowing away anything anyone has ever done. When people say Austin was the biggest star ever, this is what they're referring to. To give you an indication of how big he was, the following is from Forbes Magazine in 1999:

Austin's t-shirt sales alone made a quarter BILLION dollars in one year. Wrestlemania this year brought in a little over 70 million. From what I can find, Cena brought in a little over $100 million in 2010. It's not broken down, but that could include PPVs he headlined as well as merchandise. Let that sink in for a minute.

Short version: Hogan is the bigger star overall, but Austin reached the highest high.

KB, that is absolutely spot on. I couldn't quite find the words to answer this question but this post is exactly what I wanted to say. I don't think it can be argued that Hogan is the bigger star overall, as he is the first name that the vast majority of people think of when the WWF is mentioned, and made the WWF into the powerhouse it became. Austin at his peak though was hotter than Hogan ever was, and those figures KB posted about t-shirt sales are phenomenal.

Here's a question...if there had been the level of TV exposure, internet and merchandise available in the 80s as there was in the 90s, would Hogan have been even more popular? Would the HULKAMANIA t-shirt have sold as many as Austin 3:16?

KB, that is absolutely spot on. I couldn't quite find the words to answer this question but this post is exactly what I wanted to say. I don't think it can be argued that Hogan is the bigger star overall, as he is the first name that the vast majority of people think of when the WWF is mentioned, and made the WWF into the powerhouse it became. Austin at his peak though was hotter than Hogan ever was, and those figures KB posted about t-shirt sales are phenomenal.

Here's a question...if there had been the level of TV exposure, internet and merchandise available in the 80s as there was in the 90s, would Hogan have been even more popular? Would the HULKAMANIA t-shirt have sold as many as Austin 3:16?

How can you compare shirt sales really though, a shirt in the 80s would cost far less than one in the late 90s plus with the internet coming of age in the late 90s shirts were easier to buy. Add to this name recognition wise nearly everyone knows Hogan is whereas outside at wrestling not many people know who Austin is.

There is no argument, Hulk Hogan is the man, he is the greatest star wrestlnig has ever produced. He is still around and relevant today, and was on top in-ring in WWE for a solid 1984-1992 run followed by a small comeback. He was then on top in WCW 1994-1999. Austin was white hot in the Attitude era, but it helped with him having many guys on a similar level, where Hogan was representing the company as main guy. Austins main event run was only 1998-2002 at best, and he missedmost of 2000 woth injury. Austin may have made for money per ppv, but Hogan sold out many more arenas, stayed on top and relevany for much longer and is the reason pro wrestling is the world wide phenomenon it became, giving guys like Austin an industry to ply their trade.

There is no argument, Hulk Hogan is the man, he is the greatest star wrestlnig has ever produced. He is still around and relevant today, and was on top in-ring in WWE for a solid 1984-1992 run followed by a small comeback. He was then on top in WCW 1994-1999. Austin was white hot in the Attitude era, but it helped with him having many guys on a similar level, where Hogan was representing the company as main guy. Austins main event run was only 1998-2002 at best, and he missedmost of 2000 woth injury. Austin may have made for money per ppv, but Hogan sold out many more arenas, stayed on top and relevany for much longer and is the reason pro wrestling is the world wide phenomenon it became, giving guys like Austin an industry to ply their trade.

Like I said, I do agree generally Hogan is bigger than Austin. But you can't compare the number of years, when the nature of the business was entirely different. Austin was doing multiple segments a week. 3-4 segments per RAW. Every week. Monthly PPV's. Including house shows. This accelerated his run in a way that can't be compared to how the business was in the 80's. If Hogan was as overexposed, his run wouldn't have been as lengthy either. Hell, even as a heel in WCW from 97-99 Hogan did maybe 1-2 segments per Nitro (and he wasn't on every week) and didn't defend the title or even appear on every PPV.

Also, I don't know if you can say Austin has a better supporting cast. There were a lot of top guys in Hogan's era as well:

Austin, Rock, Undertaker, Triple H, Mankind, Kane
Hogan, Savage, Andre, Warrior, DiBiase, Piper

Hogan. A far more recognisable name, a more tenured career, more big time matches. Basically, every avenue you could wish t gauge by. Was he better in the ring or on the mic? God no, but that's a different story.

Hogan. A far more recognisable name, a more tenured career, more big time matches. Basically, every avenue you could wish t gauge by. Was he better in the ring or on the mic? God no, but that's a different story.

I wouldn't say Hogan was never good in the ring, he had his moments but admittedly he's no Bret Hart or Kurt Angle.

As for the mic I have to disagree, I thought Hogan Ba's excellent on the mic, I actually feel his low on the mic was during the 1994-1996 WCW Hulkamania era, you could just tell he wasn't quite with it then. There wasn't much direction or purpose to a lot of his promos then. But when he joined/started the nWo his promos became brilliant again.

I liked Austin more even though I was never really a big fan of either. Even though I think Hogan may have been the best bad guy of all time not taking vince into account. I was never into booing the bad guys even when I was younger because my dad was a huge fan of flair and the heels. That said Hogan was the first bad guy that made me want to boo bad guys.

To me it's a matter of taste, you can make an argument for either. I'd go Hogan but I realize if they ever faced off Austin would've got the win and should've.

This is a good topic of discussion, I certainly have my own biases as many of us are going to have. So I am going to be honest about it right from the start of this post. However, before I make my actual pick I am going to go over some highlights about the two icons, no matter what choice I make, both performers are icons in the world of professional wrestling. I think that much is safe to say.

You know, after watching the Monday Night Wars series on the WWE Network (for $9.99!), I've come to alter my opinion on this subject. I'd always figured Hogan had had the greater impact.

Now, I believe Hogan came at the beginning of the increased exposure pro wrestling managed to garner for itself. He was a cartoon character who made people aware of wrestling even if they had never watched a match in their lives. His impact was enormous....and unique.

But the Monday Night War series showed how Austin came along when WWE found itself in a period of desperate trouble, struggling for survival in a time that WCW was looking specifically to destroy them. This is not a condition Hogan had to overcome in his time; no one significant was "after" WWE; on the contrary, they were in a position of expanding from a regional promotion to a national one. Their "opposition" amounted to a group of small promotions who wanted to stop Vince McMahon's grand plans but were helpless to do so. WCW, however, with Ted Turner (and eventually Time-Warner) money behind it, had no such restraints and had brought WWE almost to the point of extinction.

This is what Stone Cold and his buddies had to overcome. Yes, the contributions of many performers and back-office people brought WWE back to its former prominence, but the Network TV series indicated how massive Austin's impact was. He was the most popular wrestler in the world and, like Hogan, folks who knew nothing about pro wrestler soon learned who he was. Of all the superior performers in WWE, Austin took the company on his back and forced us to think about him. Everything was built around him, and he proved capable of carrying it. Through the years, I'd forgotten how enormous was Austin's impact and influence; this TV production brought it all back.

In all, I'd say Austin was the bigger star because of what he had to help overcome.....as opposed to the clear, unfettered shot at the brass ring enjoyed by Hulk Hogan.

You know, after watching the Monday Night Wars series on the WWE Network (for $9.99!), I've come to alter my opinion on this subject. I'd always figured Hogan had had the greater impact.

Now, I believe Hogan came at the beginning of the increased exposure pro wrestling managed to garner for itself. He was a cartoon character who made people aware of wrestling even if they had never watched a match in their lives. His impact was enormous....and unique.

But the Monday Night War series showed how Austin came along when WWE found itself in a period of desperate trouble, struggling for survival in a time that WCW was looking specifically to destroy them. This is not a condition Hogan had to overcome in his time; no one significant was "after" WWE; on the contrary, they were in a position of expanding from a regional promotion to a national one. Their "opposition" amounted to a group of small promotions who wanted to stop Vince McMahon's grand plans but were helpless to do so. WCW, however, with Ted Turner (and eventually Time-Warner) money behind it, had no such restraints and had brought WWE almost to the point of extinction.

This is what Stone Cold and his buddies had to overcome. Yes, the contributions of many performers and back-office people brought WWE back to its former prominence, but the Network TV series indicated how massive Austin's impact was. He was the most popular wrestler in the world and, like Hogan, folks who knew nothing about pro wrestler soon learned who he was. Of all the superior performers in WWE, Austin took the company on his back and forced us to think about him. Everything was built around him, and he proved capable of carrying it. Through the years, I'd forgotten how enormous was Austin's impact and influence; this TV production brought it all back.

In all, I'd say Austin was the bigger star because of what he had to help overcome.....as opposed to the clear, unfettered shot at the brass ring enjoyed by Hulk Hogan.

So many flaws with what you said here.

First of all, Hogan made wrestling a worldwide phenomenon and he made wrestling on PPV a big deal. Before Hogan wrestling was a territory thing.

Second of all, when Austin's run started the wrestling business had already been revolutionized by ECW and the NWO storyline in WCW. House show business was already starting to recover in '96, 2 years before Austin got the belt, the WWE was doing decent financially again by mid '97. The WWE's true low point business wise was from 1992 after Hogan left until 1995 when Diesel lost the WWE Title. The WWE was doing okay in '96, it was just the Raw ratings that began falling and that was only because the NWO storyline.

Third of all, even w/o the Attitude Era WCW would've self destructed anyway, their success was built off the NWO storyline and once that ran out of financial steam by 1999 they had nothing else to offer, getting exposed in the process.

So many flaws with what you said here.

First of all, Hogan made wrestling a worldwide phenomenon and he made wrestling on PPV a big deal. Before Hogan wrestling was a territory thing.

Second of all, when Austin's run started the wrestling business had already been revolutionized by ECW and the NWO storyline in WCW. House show business was already starting to recover in '96, 2 years before Austin got the belt, the WWE was doing decent financially again by mid '97. The WWE's true low point business wise was from 1992 after Hogan left until 1995 when Diesel lost the WWE Title. The WWE was doing okay in '96, it was just the Raw ratings that began falling and that was only because the NWO storyline.

WWE ratings were losing to Nitro often in 1996 BEFORE the NWO storyline, especially in Jan-March.

However, when Austin came up in his Stone Cold persona (remember the guy was wrestling for nearly a decade before that with considerable success), he became a sensation for a company with an international audience, operating nationwide. WWE was not an nationwide company before Vince Jr's famous "National Expansion" 1983-89 and Hogan was the vehicle he based that on. Having been a fan of wrestling in both eras Ican tell you wresting in general was bigger in the 80s and Hogan was huge, he was as much as legit entertainment star as anyone. More than that, he was the poster child for Vince creating a global company, instead of a limited touring outfit that operated in the northeast US. Guys like Savage, Andre, Flair, Dusty, they were huge back then and a major reason pro wrestling in general exploded and two major companies became national, and international operations. Hogan though as a star was way ahead of everyone else in name recognition.

Austin became a top star in a nation wide promotion who's very foundation for business success was built before him. That is a big difference compared to Hogan's role in the 80s.

Longevity has to be a factor too, and although I think Austin would have likely had a better career if not for injuries the fact remains he was at or near his height for about six years, Hogan had 15 at that same level and another 10 at the next level down. Only Flair can match Hogan's longevity as a top draw, but no one matches Hogan's impact as a character on the popularity of the industry or growth of its business and he was more well known outside wrestling circles than anyone.

How can you compare shirt sales really though, a shirt in the 80s would cost far less than one in the late 90s plus with the internet coming of age in the late 90s shirts were easier to buy. Add to this name recognition wise nearly everyone knows Hogan is whereas outside at wrestling not many people know who Austin is.

This is exactly spot on...you cant compare things in terms of dollars when they are separated by that many years. Wrestling shirts in the 80s cost less than $10 a piece, not $25.99 like they do today, Heck, tickets rarely cost more than $10 a piece, so comparing gate figures isn't nearly as accurate a barometer as tickets sold or attendance. Fact is, a 15,000 crowd in 1985 couldnt generate the same dollars a 10,000 crowd can today.

WWE actually made more $$ on W-Mainia IV than they did on W-Mania due to increases in ticket & merchandise prices and PPV cost, even though WM III was attended by 93,000 people and IV was held in a 20,000 seat arena.

WWF house show attendance was higher in 1996 and 1997 than it was from 1992-1995, you're right. However, it also spiked in 1998 and had doubled by 1999, and that is 100% a result of Austin. And WCW never hit the same house show numbers that WWF did during this time period.

So, I don't think anyone will disagree with you that the n.W.o. and to a lesser extent the more hardcore wrestling style of ECW definitely sparked the change in the business and the Attitude era, it was Austin who took it higher than ever. And WWF business only started to come back down after they 1) turned him heel at the same time they 2) lost The Rock to Hollywood.

this post......................................AGAIN

Plain and simple, Hulk Hogan is the single greatest star in the history of professional wrestling.
Austin may have sold out more arenas duting the Attitude era, but his run was for what, 3 years, 5 with a neck injury in the middle. The Rock has made much better movies and crossed over as the greatest sports-entertainer of all time, but Hulk Hogan had a massive run 1984-1991, then reinvented himself and was relevant again in WCW 1994-1999. Hogan may have sullied his legacy over the past ten years by wrestling Sting at BVound for Glory 201,, public family issues etc but Hulk Hogan is wrestling.
Austin himself has stated many times that without Hulk Hogan, there is no world for Austin, Michaels, Rock, Sting, Taker etc etc.
HBK may have bee the greatest in ring performer, Austin may have sold out more arenas(which I think is debatable considering both their lenghts on top), Rock the best talker but HULK HOGAN is the greatest pro wrestler of all time

Whatever people think of Hulk Hogan theres no question that he changed wrestling forever, Wrestlemania 1 wouldn't have been in my opinion anywhere near as successful with someone else in the main event and wrestling went through a huge change in the whole format in the mid 80s going from local territory events to huge mainstream attention on worldwide tv, movies and even on MTV without the hulkamania and rock n wrestling would have been very different, Yes it may have all been Vince Mcmahons vision but without the right man to lead the company I don't think any of that would have worked.
I'm a fan of Steve Austin and he deffinently left his mark and influence on wrestling but not even close that of Hulk Hogan, For anyone to choose Austin or Cena for example over Hogan I can only imagine is a silly little kid and must have been to young to remember the wrestling industry before Hulkamania, Wrestlemania and PPV's but remembering the pre hulkamania days with Backlund, Sammartino as champion and the old territorial days was a huge difference to what Hogan with Mcmahons vision done.
Also Steve Austin was huge and had everyone talking about him for a relatively short amount of time I was a fan of his since his USWA days but he was only huge for a couple of years in the late 90s, Hogan love him or hate him can't deny he has at least kept himself relevant in wrestling for a bit longer than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back