Who had/has the best spear in wrestling history?

CM Steel

A REAL American
In spirit of the NFL season coming to a close. The Super Bowl had me thinking with that HD sound on the field from play action with those tackles. Just who had the best spear in wrestling history? There are many wrestling legends and superstars who have used the spear in their respective careers down the line. Let's take a look at those superstars from over the years shall we?...

-Edge
-Rhyno (The Gore)
-Bill Goldberg
-Batista
-The Big Show
-Roman Reigns (current superstar)

Christian used the spear move as a tribute to his fallen comrade Edge after Edge has forced to retire from wrestling due to a bad neck injury. The spear has been a big impact move for over the years as we've all seen. But in your opinion. Who had/has the best spear in wrestling history?

Bobby Lashley also used the move for a time.

Oh and Kaitlyn, don't forget Kaitlyn.

Out of them. Rhino or Goldberg.

And I'm leaning towards Goldberg. Rhino (and Reigns) both have a pretty great impact. But Goldberg looked like he was breaking the guy in half, the guy was lifted off the ground looking like he was sent flying back, the force even looked like it would knock the wind out of the guy. But to be fair, Rhino's also looked very much the same thinking back to his ECW days...hmmm....

I'd probably go with Goldberg in the end, due to the stiffness of how the move looked.

Maybe part of it is me never caring for Goldberg, but I have to give the nod to Rhino over Goldberg. Then I'd go Reigns, Lashley, Kaitlyn, Batista/Big Show and Edge.

Edge's was atrocious, Big Show looks like he is hitting them in slow motion, Batista always looked awkward(exhibit A; this year's RR). Kaitlyn was surprisingly good, especially for a Diva's in today's product. Lashley's was decent from what I remember, but largely forgettable, much like the man. Reigns is clearly third and maybe by the end jump to 2 or 1, but I wouldn't get on him passing Berg or Rhino, at least on my list.

Edge and Christian just don't have enough mass to warrant using the Spear.

I might have to say Goldberg by default, it didn't seem like anyone else was doing it.

Today the Spear seems to be a default move in almost every man's move set. It's become cheapened.

Ok, how often have we seen this thread by now? Haha...

On a serious note: My favorite's always been Goldberg (since I was also a WCW watched back in the day), and he really pulled it off to perfection. Though I gotta admit, Roman Reigns is doing a pretty neat job with it today as well.

Never cared for Edge's spear, he doesn't have the build to make it look believable in my opinion.

We see this thread too much.

And the answer is by now Roman Reigns.Even though Goldberg and Rhino;s spears were great in my opinion he is better than the both of them.

Edge at the top, Reigns next, Rhyno, Goldberg, Show, Batista.

But really, the best spear comes down to the best opponent selling. And I think that opponents sold Edge's the best.

Most of them were total garbage. Reigns performs it well. Edge? Christian? Show? Batista? A spear from a man the size of Edge/Christian cannot be taken seriously. Goldberg wins by a mile for me. When he hit it, you believed it. Plus it looked demonic. He wasn't good at much in the ring. But Goldberg's spear and Jackhammer combo are up there with the best finishers ever.

I think Edge's spear was the best. I can see how most would go with Goldberg's spear as it was just raw power and his gimmick was that he took and ran through everyone he faced. But look at Edge - he could do the spear of the top of a ladder, through tables and he gave us the greatest spear of all time - putting Cena out with the spear during his match with RVD in the ECW One Night Stand 2006 main event.

They all have differences in there spears which make them good or bad.

Goldberg hits them and then lift like an nfl tackle
Reigns jumps into them as more of a shoulder strike then a tackle
Rhyno hits and then drive through like Reigns but lower
Edge and Christian hit with almost no force at all and have there legs under them instead of behind them and instead of hitting with power they hug there opponent to the ground

I think Reigns and Goldberg are tied due to the differences. As they don't execute them the same I cant put 1 above another because they both look great

honestly say goldberg's spear is great. He hit spear very hard like a bull hit a man.

Otherthan that batista spear bcoz he is big and strong. He hit the spear in aggressive.

Reigns spear look very sick.

in divas i think kaitlyn is the only diva to use the spear but i like spear.

Overall GOLDBERG AND KAITLYN had best spear.

First things first, we can scratch Edge off of this list. Loved the guy as a performer, but I've seen my two year old daughter hit things with more impact than Edge's spear.

Out of the guys who have a believable spear, I think we can eliminate Lashley due to his forgettable-ness and Batista and Big Show due to their sloppiness.

Which leaves us with three... the same three everyone seems to consider Reigns, Rhino and Goldberg.

While Reigns definitely has a great spear, he's so new in using it and the move has been so watered down as of late, he gets removed due to circumstance moreso than anything else.

I'm really at a toss up between Goldberg and Rhino... but I'm going to have to give it to Rhino by a hair. He did it very distinctly, and unlike Goldberg, it was his actual finisher.

Edge's spear was the best because of the build-up. That twenty seconds before he hit it was actually what drew you in. That being said, what makes Reigns' spear so good is that it does come out of nowhere. I never liked anything Goldberg did because the only story he ever told was, "Goldberg is awesome."

I love this thread, I was actually just talking to my brother (who stopped watching wrestling about 10 years ago) and tried to explain that Roman Reigns has the greatest spear I've seen in years. I even went as far to say that his spear is the second greatest of all time, the intensity and actual form is only outmatched by one man's spear.

WHO'S NEXT!?

Bill Goldberg - I don't even think it's close. The top 3 most intense/gruesome looking spears in the history of wrestling have all came from Goldberg. Look them up: Nunzio, Christian, and Chris Jericho. Edge had some flashy ones (running across announce tables, jumping off ladders) but that's what he needed, gimmicks to enhance his spear. Goldberg just used his own intensity, speed and undeniable strength just like Roman Reigns does now.

IMO:
1. Goldberg
2. Roman Reigns
3. Rhyno
4. Edge

Rhino cause when he hit you it looked like it really hurt. His opponents always made it look alot better of a move then it really is. I like the spear as a wrestling hold and think Rhino is the only one that could make it a legit finisher. In wcw Goldbergs spear looked good when the right guy sold it.Kevin Nash is a perfect example of someone who couldnt sell it. He jumped back like 2 seconds before goldberg ever touched him and ended goldbergs streak. Other wrestlers like edge, kaitlyn, reigns should of just used it as a regular move in their mix not a finisher.

I don't think Edge's spear is that bad. It doesn't look like he hits you as hard but it looks very formed instead of just throwing your body at someone else's body but I'm thinking I'll still put it last. With that being said I think Rhyno did it best. His Gore was and still is amazing very medium height thick guy blowing through you always looked awesome to me. I got Rhyno then Goldberg then Reigns then everyone else but Kaitlyn had a really good one though.

Roman Reigns is vey good, but hands down Goldberg had the best spear. His spears straight up knocked people silly, I'm sure Scott Stiener and the Big Show would second that, and who could forget the Elimination Chamber where Goldberg goes insane ! If theres any doubt look up some of Goldbergs old stuff on Youtube, and hear Bobby Heenan saying "The Man"!

theres no question that goldberg had the best spear, hands down. check out his greatest hits on youtube and you'll see what I'm talking about. ppl looked like they got FUCKED UP when goldberg did the spear.

The Spear maneuver depends on two aspects: the velocity, intensity, force and size of the wrestler that performs it; and the way the wrestler who takes it sells it.

Edge & Christian's Spears aren't/weren't very believable in the first place because of their size. Spears should be done by big guys, with huge shoulders, so they take all the air out of the opponent when they hit him. Also, a Spear should look believable against every opponent. Their Spears didn't look believable. Do their Spears really look like they can take out Big Show or Mark Henry? A tiny shoulder hitting those huge stomaches? Plus, even on smaller opponents, their Spears didn't look that good.

Speaking of big guys, we had Batista, Big Show and Lashley performing the Spear... Batista is just clumsy, he throws himself at the opponent without knowing what he's doing. Many times he crosses himself in front of his opponent, instead of hitting him straight ahead. He makes it look like he hits the opponent with his upper arm or even the elbow instead of the shoulder... :banghead: Big Show also just throws himself forward, but at least he hits them straight forward. Problem with Show is that it seems like his body his moving in slow motion during the Spear and it only looks good against an opponent that's running in his direction. Against a still opponent, it almost never looks good... :disappointed: Lashley, I don't really know. I guess his is similar to Edge, as he moves to the side just as his shoulder hits the opponent, making it seem like he only hits the opponent with half the force he should.

Honorable mention here for Kaitlyn. She did a very good Spear. Her physical build was stronger than most women, so it looked very believable on her part. Her downside was actually her opponents, most of whom couldn't really sell it properly.

Goldberg, Rhyno and Reigns are definitely the best. They execute the move well most of the times, with very good force and velocity. They also had opponents who sold the move very well, which made the move look even stronger. I can clearly remember Nunzio selling Goldberg's Spear at the Royal Rumble 2004, it was like he was dead! :lmao: Benoit used to convulse a couple of times holding his belly, making Rhyno's Gore look really painful. Reigns nearly sends Ziggler flying from one side of the ring to the other. All their Spears look very strong! :worship:

In the end, I'm going with Goldberg's being the best. I don't know who missed the timing, but sometimes Rhyno's Gore seemed more like John Cena's Flying Shoulder Tackles. I heard Rhyno was stiff, so perhaps some of his opponents got scared and used to fall back too early... And between Goldberg and Reigns, Goldberg wins because of the intensity he displayed both in setting up the maneuver and after he hit it. But Reigns is getting better on that each day...

Plus, when Goldberg hit the Spear he usually followed with the Jackhammer. When I used to see him picking up his opponent for the Jackhammer, my first thought was always "Why are you even doing that for? He's already defeated!" :shrug:

Roman Reigns' spear looks like he is out to break bones. I love it.

Kaitlyn had an awesome spear. I rank her over most guys.

Rhino, IMO, had the best spear ever (Reigns may own this title shortly). I had the opportunity, to witness this spear live in 2001 from the front row. I actually felt my own ribs cracking when he performed his spear.

Good thread Btw. It never gets old

To all you assclowns talking about Edges spear being unbelievable, how about you let him test it
On you? See how believable it is. But to answer the question I would say Bill Goldberg.
The impact on it was painful looking

Goldberg always seemed to have the greatest impact, and there's a pretty strong argument to be made about him having the best spear, but long hair of the other guys makes the move look more intense.

Obviously, this may be subject to some bias considering the avatar and all, but I've gotta go with Rhyno and The Gore. Everything about it just seemed awesome and destructive: The hair, the way he charged with those tree trunk legs, the way the announcer (be it Styles, Heyman, Cole, etc.) would absolutely lose it whenever he hit it (Gore.Gore!GORE!).

Not to mention that most of my fondest memories of "The Gore", The Man-Beast was putting an opponent through something be it a table, a titantron, or a wall.

I have to go with Rhino. I am sure Goldberg's athleticism made his have more impact. But hearing Heyman scream "GORRREEEUUHHH!!" is priceless.

To all you assclowns talking about Edges spear being unbelievable, how about you let him test it
On you? See how believable it is. But to answer the question I would say Bill Goldberg.
The impact on it was painful looking

I would absolutely have no problem or hesitation in doing that. I love Edge as a performer, easily in my personal top 10 favorites of all time, but he puts virtually no force our body weight behind it. the only spear I'd rather take its from Kaitlyn... and not because I think it would hurt less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back