Who did the WWE drop the ball with ?

I think Shelton dropped the ball himself, I think its easy to blame the WWE for guys not progressing but I think in some cases, not all but some it's there own fault. Look at Zack Ryder. Brought himself from Velocity to US Champion and top 3 baby face in the company.

Shelton is a good call. I never liked the whole Momma Benjamin character but with a 1/2 decent manager he could have been a good guy to have on the roster.

I know Kozlov was already in his late 30s by the time he got his break but he was this killer. I didn't hate putting him with Santino but they could have handled it differently. Instead of being Santino's comedy sidekick he could have been his hired muscle to protect him against Sheamus(whose face character is growing on me). Like during that tea party segment a couple years back in the UK Kozlov totally looked afraid of Sheamus, not like that Russian killer he used to be.

I think by making Morrison go on that long losing streak they really killed him. Injuries or not they practically buried him and then still gave him title shots. I'm a JoMosapian through and through but even I was getting sick of his undeserved title shots every PPV.

John Morrison, Road Dogg Jesse James, and The Brian Kendrick are 3 people that could've been major champions during their eras. Morrison in 2009 was one of the most over and consistent guys in the whole damn company. Each week on Smackdown he would have classics for both the Intercontinental AND World Heavyweight Championships with the likes of Rey Mysterio, Jeff Hardy, Dolph Ziggler, CM Punk, and even Drew Mcintyre. His mic skills were actually decent that year as well, I thought they'd finally give him the strap in 2010 but they kept him in limbo that year instead of pushing him straight to the top. In 2010 he was pushed the exact same way as 2009, just with less title matches and the fact that he was on RAW rather than SmackDown. In 2011 it looked like he was finally getting that push but then out of nowhere he was demoted to jobber status when he should've been the top guy by now.

As for Road Dogg and Kendrick, both guys are charismatic members of tag teams that for some reason that I'm not aware of were treated like the sidekicks of the their teams once they broke up. Gunn was pushed to the moon in feuds with Rock and such while Road Dogg jobbed to X-Pac and struggled to win the IC title. The same goes for London and Kendrick, until finally they woke up and made him 'The Brian Kendrick'. He was showing cockiness and charisma that rivaled his mentor HBK's status in 1992, with bodyguard and all. I think a wellness policy violation is what killed his push but I definitely think it should've been resumed after the suspension.

Where to begin?

Punk: WWE really screwed up Punk's face turn and getting over with the Cena and Orton fans. Putting a tweener Punk is a feud with an established and popular babyface (HHH) was beyond counter-productive. Unlike Cena, HHH is still cheered by the older and younger fans. They either should have turned HHH heel or left him ouf of the angle all together, he did nothing for Punk but damage.

Tag Teams: WWE breaks up most of their real tag teams, then decides to try to build up the tag team scene right after.

Babyfaces: WWE faces are beyond boring, I like Kofi and Bourne but why should I really cheer them? I like Punk because he speaks his mind, but there really isn't a reason for me to cheer Kofi and Bourne beyond they smile alot and fight the heels.

Creative: WWE creative and booking is a cluster-fuck, the walk out angle, the building of new talent and the awful text message angle all come to mind. What did the walk out angle do for anyone other than HHH? Why did Jerry admit he thought someone else was pulling the strings but still walked out? Why are WWE trying to push the "Diva's of Doom" as a threat if they loose matches on a constant bases? Why did WWE make D Bryan go back on his word twice? All of these questions means WWE is piss poor at building angles and talent, they even botched the return of The Rock. Enough said.

Excellent topic for the forum firstly but wwe dropping the ball....I have several candidates

1) MVP- he was on the rise, he was great on the mic, an excellent performer and had the fans behind him. The second they stuck him in that program with matt hardy you could see the ball being dropped

2) Shelton Benjamin- this was a guy who stole the show every year it seemed at wrestlemania. He was an excellent wrestler and even though his mic skills weren't the best, he could make u forget that with the matches he would have

3) Ted dibase JR- be honest, did anyone here think that Cody would be the one from legacy in the position he is in today over this guy. He didn't talk well but was an excellent IC champ until maryse came along

4) Alex riley- what the hell happened to Him? He beat the miz at a pay per view and was gone the next day

5) kofi kingston- I know he has the tag titles right now but after the mini and I do mean mini feud he had with orton, he fell into the same.position that Benjamin did, not believable in the main event

6) the usos- um...didn't they debut and destroy the tag champs at the time? Well they have falling in the land.of the lost now

7) chavo Guerrero- he was eddies nephew and was a hell of a wrestler but even in death, Eddie couldn't help him get over

And last, CM Punk- he has gotten the title, the next week we get a new champion...and punk shows up....too damn soon. If they had milked this for another two weeks or at least until after the next pay per view it would have been more impactful and been so much better rather than just giving him one week off...

I think they dropped the ball on Punk and Del Rio recently. The whole Kevin Nash fiasco completely halted all of Punk's momentum and then forced Del Rio into a hurricane of a storyline that involved 5 people.

Jim Ross and The RAW G.M. angle. Makes no sense to invest ALL that tv time on an angle and then just drop it with no explanation. Still with 1/2/2012 angle tonight, one or both of those things could change. Unless it's chris jericho in which case I'd add the 1/2/2012 angle with Jim Ross and The RAW G.M. angle as to what the WWE dropped the ball with.

I think they drop the ball on Kozlov, did he not face Randy Colture in UFC, one time taking appart Triple H and now gone after they water him down to nothing more then a comedy act, Chavo who they started a small thing with Sin Cara and done, Shelton and MVP were good, Kali a man who destroyed Undertaker and put fear in guys was doing kiss cam stuff and now gone from WWE promotions, Kronic a tag team that would of gave many tag teams a fight and run for their money, Vince had under taker/kane destroy them in one match why because they were former WWE guys who went to WCW.

Vince should go back to what brought WWE/WWF to the dance wrestling,

some will blame the wreslter and others will blame the promotion, clearly sometimes they just can not come to agreement with things but when they are performing and they have them doing stupid things like doing a tea party in the ring etc I want wrestling not saturday morning cartoons

what about Low Key, this guy was really good in TNA when he performed, he came to WWE and had to try out in their toughenough thing which was stupid cause we already knew he could wrestle but still they used him as Laycools bitch and had him loosing match after match not even allowing him a chance to get over, drop the ball on that guy.

Some times I think WWE will not allow guys to shine or over shine other people, everyone wants to be at the top but seems WWE will not allow them to, either they will do good or crash but never giving them a chance to come on

Mr. Perfect, Million Dollar Man, etc... BACK IN THE DAY

Mr. Kennedy, Jeff Hardy(early in the career)

My point about Hardy. He was in the wrong time(character and fanbase wise)

If he were the jeff of 2000 now. He'd be the fucking FACE. People blow Zach Ryder all the time about fans and shit. Hardy had a fucking following like nothing back in the day everybody loved the guy. They started boucing his ball when he started bouncing 8-balls. Poor guy

John Morrison??? What was so great about the guy. He was so skinny. And he wore fucking furry pants. Like uggs or some some shit. I never bought into the guy seeing as he was that dude who won tough enough. was on tv like once... then all of a sudden he's johnny nitro. i was like fuck that just let me look at melina's gorgeous ass. I doubt anyone ever paid a ticket only to see that guy. Sorry but "JoMo" or "JoNitro" or what the fuck ever. Guy was garbage. He was in a dual toy pack with THE FUCKING MACHO MAN. What a slap in the face to Mr. Pofo

Mr. Perfect, Million Dollar Man, etc... BACK IN THE DAY

Mr. Kennedy, Jeff Hardy(early in the career)

My point about Hardy. He was in the wrong time(character and fanbase wise)

If he were the jeff of 2000 now. He'd be the fucking FACE. People blow Zach Ryder all the time about fans and shit. Hardy had a fucking following like nothing back in the day everybody loved the guy. They started boucing his ball when he started bouncing 8-balls. Poor guy

John Morrison??? What was so great about the guy. He was so skinny. And he wore fucking furry pants. Like uggs or some some shit. I never bought into the guy seeing as he was that dude who won tough enough. was on tv like once... then all of a sudden he's johnny nitro. i was like fuck that just let me look at melina's gorgeous ass. I doubt anyone ever paid a ticket only to see that guy. Sorry but "JoMo" or "JoNitro" or what the fuck ever. Guy was garbage. He was in a dual toy pack with THE FUCKING MACHO MAN. What a slap in the face to Mr. Pofo

I have to agree with that being a slap in the face, you would think they woudl package Macho Man with someone like Piper or Hogan or someone who he at least feud with would of been cool with Ricky Steamboat that duel pack would be a collector item

I definitley think they dropped the ball with....wait for it...Mr. Kennedy!!! KENNEDY!!! the guy had so much potential. A lot of it was his fault with wellness policy violations and injuries. The nail in the coffin was the Randy Orton incident. Thats a damn shame! Also MVP had great potential especially as a heel. These two guys to me was the total package...

oh wow, who didnt they drop the ball with. i think they dropped the ball with the tag teams of Deuce and Domino with Cherry (entertaining team), the Hart Dynasty, Cryme Tyme and others, but if we talk about singles stars, Shelton Benjamin is a good one, i loved his mama's boy character and his in-ring skills were always good.

Over the years WWE has screwed up a lot of times

80's

Hacksaw Jim Duggan - In the UWF he was a heel and a damn good one... they turned him into a goofy muppet... imagine if he'd been using that 2 by 4 to bash guys like Savage and Hogan... USA vs USA would have been a great feud...

Rick Martel - When he first turned heel, Martel was grossly underused.... He never got a decent feud and yet he was a former AWA World champion... He and Savage could have had a great feud for the title.

90's

Hakushi - This guy was so awesome when he debuted, but they had him job to Bret and then go to face and team with Barry Horowitz? Had they done it right, given him a proper build, he could have easily been a top main eventer by the time the attitude era came around.

Shane Douglas - This guy was red hot in ECW and the Kliq killed it, sure the Dean Douglas gimmick was cheesy, but that was punishment for his leaving a few years before (he said his dad was ill and asked for a release, then signed straight for WCW) but he could have done a lot more had Shawn let him...

Ric Flair - WWE dropped the ball completely with Flair's first run... from the moment they didn't put Hogan v Flair at Mania the fate was sealed... Flair should have been a long term champion not a flash in the pan.

2000's

Chris Jericho - giving him a heel title run that made him look weak was a big mistake, at the time Jericho could easily have been Rock/Austin level with a sustained face title push. but the fact Chris was better on the mic meant they stopped him talking and made him a cowardly heel... Think back to those personalised ring intros...

Paul Burchill - They could have done a hell of a lot with Burchill, he had unique offence and had they not gone the Pirate route, they could have made him a Kray style gangster, suits, sunglasses... badass... think Vinny Jones in Lock Stock...

Over the years WWE has screwed up a lot of times

80's

Hacksaw Jim Duggan - In the UWF he was a heel and a damn good one... they turned him into a goofy muppet... imagine if he'd been using that 2 by 4 to bash guys like Savage and Hogan... USA vs USA would have been a great feud...

Rick Martel - When he first turned heel, Martel was grossly underused.... He never got a decent feud and yet he was a former AWA World champion... He and Savage could have had a great feud for the title.

90's

Hakushi - This guy was so awesome when he debuted, but they had him job to Bret and then go to face and team with Barry Horowitz? Had they done it right, given him a proper build, he could have easily been a top main eventer by the time the attitude era came around.

Shane Douglas - This guy was red hot in ECW and the Kliq killed it, sure the Dean Douglas gimmick was cheesy, but that was punishment for his leaving a few years before (he said his dad was ill and asked for a release, then signed straight for WCW) but he could have done a lot more had Shawn let him...

Ric Flair - WWE dropped the ball completely with Flair's first run... from the moment they didn't put Hogan v Flair at Mania the fate was sealed... Flair should have been a long term champion not a flash in the pan.

2000's

Chris Jericho - giving him a heel title run that made him look weak was a big mistake, at the time Jericho could easily have been Rock/Austin level with a sustained face title push. but the fact Chris was better on the mic meant they stopped him talking and made him a cowardly heel... Think back to those personalised ring intros...

Paul Burchill - They could have done a hell of a lot with Burchill, he had unique offence and had they not gone the Pirate route, they could have made him a Kray style gangster, suits, sunglasses... badass... think Vinny Jones in Lock Stock...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels they could have utilized Jericho better. When he finally left WCW for WWF I remember thinking that finally he would get the push and recognition he deserves. It was better but not as good as it could have been

Mr. Kennedy - One of my favourite superstars at the time. He had the mic skills. A unique entrance. He was a cunning heel. He was unlucky. I guess you could say WWE really did try with this guy. But they dropped the ball by LETTING HIM GO. All because of Randy Orton. I really feel sorry for him. All those injuries that had happened just ruined his career. Imagine what he could have been if he had cashed in his MiTB. Now he's just plummeted completely in TNA. He just seems to have... given up.

Chris Masters - He had the build which Vince loves. His finisher was a good one, it looked dangerous. But the WWE dropped the ball completely. He could've been a huge star. He was the first (and i think the only) person to knock SuperCena unconcious. But it was just downhill. His gimmick was also terrible. The "Masterpiece" gimmick wasnt really that great. It was just, boring. But that wasn't his fault. It was creative's. They handed him a dud gimmick. Then they also let him go which was a shame.

Elijah Burke - He became a star in TNA. I like his current gimmick. I didn't like his WWE one... The name never just never stuck. It was just... aweful. It is his real name, i get that. But it just doesn't work. Plus they stuck him on ECW which was a fail of a brand. He didn't even do anything memorable. He was just, forgotten after "the new breed" storyline.

Shelton Benjamin - One of the best athletes to enter the ring. His MiTB moments were amazing. He did things you wouldn't think possible. But the WWE never gave him a chance. They gave him up. A total shame.

John Morrison - I never thought The Miz would leapfrog him by that much. I think it was Melina that killed his career. A real shame, he was great in the ring. His mic skills weren't great. But they should've done more with him.

The Hart Dynasty - Why did they break them up? They would've seriously helped the tag team division. I really respect the hart family, and I wanted these guys to succeed. The WWE killed everything by breaking them up.

Jack Swaggger - I remember when he was tearing up ECW. He was undefeated, he was champion. He took quite a fall. He starting coming in with that stupid eagle. Now he's just a jobber. A shame really, he is good in the ring. The WWE need to do something with this guy. It's just a waste to be honest.

Alex Riley- He showed so much promise. I thought, "this is the start" when he beat The Miz. But then, he vanished. That is seriously dropping the ball. He didn't even have a chance. Though I thought his high school bully gimmick wasn't that great. I hope he gets repackaged and makes a big return.

The Usos- They are actually my favourite tag team right now. But they are always losing and thats on Superstars the reject show. They are a REAL tag team. They should be gunning for the titles not losing all the time. I hope they actually become champions one day. Otherwise, it will just be a HUGE disappointment. Perhaps The Rock could be their manager? That could do wonders for them.

Del Rio - I can see something in him. I think he could be something. He just needs the right gimmick, the right attitude, and better mic skills. But its not all his fault that his reigns were a complete flop. He looked sooooo weak. He was the biggest coward ever. Another cowardly heel. WOW, like we haven't seen that before. It is rumoured that he is going to look more ferocious this year. I hope it works out for him.

Low Ki/Kaval - I prefer "Low Ki" to Kaval. He was another example of not getting a real chance. He just gave up because they weren't doing anything with him.

Tyson Kidd - I look at Tyson Kidd and think, why isn't this guy IC champion? He has AMAZING in ring ability. He is being booked so bad I don't even know why he even bothers. The guy needs to be given a chance. He could do it, I believe he can.

Sin Cara - He had so much promise, but it just didn't work. Sure his constant botches didn't help but, the Sin Cara vs Sin Cara thing was total garbage. It was pointless. It was a fail. I couldn't get into it. But the WWE really seemed to like the idea. It was a good idea. But executed poorly. A real shame to be honest.

CM Punk - I've always been a fan. He has always been my number 1 superstar, and 2011 was his year. The summer was... wow. Everything he did was amazing. Now people say that his constant PPV loses killed his momentum, I disagree. It made him seem human as opposed to another SuperCena. I'm not saying they've dropped the ball with him, but I'm scared that they might. They are apparently worried about ratings right now which is total BS. Lets pray they don't give the title back to Cena AGAIN.

Vladamir Kozlov - The guy was badass when he started. He would come in, no music, nothing. I found it interesting. The guy looked like he just wanted to hurt people. It really got me hooked. But then he just started to die down, teaming up with Santino is just a joke. I feel sorry for this guy.

Chavo Guerrero - He has always been living in Eddie's (R.I.P) shadow. But his feud with Rey was a good one. It felt personal, real. After that feud they could done more with him. But he just turned up to WM and lost in 28 seconds which summed it all up.

Matt Hardy - Jeff had always been the popular one. Matt always did try though. I don't know about you but I enjoyed the time this guy was ECW champ. He then feuded with his brother in an epic storyline. He even beat him at WM. But after that, he just died. Now he's having problems with drugs. Poor guy.

Bobby Lashley - Now I liked this guy. He was a great superstar. He was the future. They just didn't handle it right. For that, he suffered. I thought he would be huge in future. The guy was great in the ring. He had the build, the power, everything. He was just so...cool... now hes doing MMA, and I don't think he will be back. I really believe the WWE should've done better with him.

Justin Gabriel - Booking is burying him. I like him. His finisher is great. He's just, not been given a chance to prove himself. I think he needs to find a good tag team partner like Tyson Kidd. And then try again in the Tag Team division.

Hope you liked my list
:)

Historically I would say :

1) Superstar Billy Graham - he had a few good years, nothing more, when he should have had fifteen. He was allowed to leave, to stagnate, to change his image and to get out of control. He should have been as much of a priority as Sammartino but wasn't. Heels didn't have much of a shelf-life in those days but they should have done much more.

2) Vader - great monster-heel, great wrestler; the WWF watered down his move set so he came across as quite lumbering, nothing like the star he was in WCW

3) Jake Roberts - they should have done more with him, pushed him, got him some rehab so he didn't walk away when he did. He was incredibly innovative and the WWE needs him in all honesty in any capacity they can.

Recently :

1) Drew McIntyre - hovering on the verge of a future endeavour. He is like CM Punk - he is much better un-scripted with more freedom but whatever has happened may be too late. A great talent, great charisma and amazing mic skills, he would absolutely fly in somewhere like TNA.

2) Harry "DH" Smith
Would make a great babyface, started well, did well on the mic - really good all round potential, not exactly world champion material but could have made an excellent crowd pleaser in time.

3) Mr Anderson
Came into his own in TNA. WWE never really gave him a chance to develop his character or put much of himself into it. The WWE rarely makes mistakes but by swamping stars with their own ideas, they don't always see the best of them and it takes a move to sort it out themselves.

Personally, I think the WWE mainly dropped the ball by not enticing more Japanese Wrestlers over on occasion, people like The Great Muta and Jushin Liger would have worked wonders during dry talent spells.

Mr. Kennedy - One of my favourite superstars at the time. He had the mic skills. A unique entrance. He was a cunning heel. He was unlucky. I guess you could say WWE really did try with this guy. But they dropped the ball by LETTING HIM GO. All because of Randy Orton. I really feel sorry for him. All those injuries that had happened just ruined his career. Imagine what he could have been if he had cashed in his MiTB. Now he's just plummeted completely in TNA. He just seems to have... given up.

Chris Masters - He had the build which Vince loves. His finisher was a good one, it looked dangerous. But the WWE dropped the ball completely. He could've been a huge star. He was the first (and i think the only) person to knock SuperCena unconcious. But it was just downhill. His gimmick was also terrible. The "Masterpiece" gimmick wasnt really that great. It was just, boring. But that wasn't his fault. It was creative's. They handed him a dud gimmick. Then they also let him go which was a shame.

Elijah Burke - He became a star in TNA. I like his current gimmick. I didn't like his WWE one... The name never just never stuck. It was just... aweful. It is his real name, i get that. But it just doesn't work. Plus they stuck him on ECW which was a fail of a brand. He didn't even do anything memorable. He was just, forgotten after "the new breed" storyline.

Shelton Benjamin - One of the best athletes to enter the ring. His MiTB moments were amazing. He did things you wouldn't think possible. But the WWE never gave him a chance. They gave him up. A total shame.

John Morrison - I never thought The Miz would leapfrog him by that much. I think it was Melina that killed his career. A real shame, he was great in the ring. His mic skills weren't great. But they should've done more with him.

The Hart Dynasty - Why did they break them up? They would've seriously helped the tag team division. I really respect the hart family, and I wanted these guys to succeed. The WWE killed everything by breaking them up.

Jack Swaggger - I remember when he was tearing up ECW. He was undefeated, he was champion. He took quite a fall. He starting coming in with that stupid eagle. Now he's just a jobber. A shame really, he is good in the ring. The WWE need to do something with this guy. It's just a waste to be honest.

Alex Riley- He showed so much promise. I thought, "this is the start" when he beat The Miz. But then, he vanished. That is seriously dropping the ball. He didn't even have a chance. Though I thought his high school bully gimmick wasn't that great. I hope he gets repackaged and makes a big return.

The Usos- They are actually my favourite tag team right now. But they are always losing and thats on Superstars the reject show. They are a REAL tag team. They should be gunning for the titles not losing all the time. I hope they actually become champions one day. Otherwise, it will just be a HUGE disappointment. Perhaps The Rock could be their manager? That could do wonders for them.

Del Rio - I can see something in him. I think he could be something. He just needs the right gimmick, the right attitude, and better mic skills. But its not all his fault that his reigns were a complete flop. He looked sooooo weak. He was the biggest coward ever. Another cowardly heel. WOW, like we haven't seen that before. It is rumoured that he is going to look more ferocious this year. I hope it works out for him.

Low Ki/Kaval - I prefer "Low Ki" to Kaval. He was another example of not getting a real chance. He just gave up because they weren't doing anything with him.

Tyson Kidd - I look at Tyson Kidd and think, why isn't this guy IC champion? He has AMAZING in ring ability. He is being booked so bad I don't even know why he even bothers. The guy needs to be given a chance. He could do it, I believe he can.

Sin Cara - He had so much promise, but it just didn't work. Sure his constant botches didn't help but, the Sin Cara vs Sin Cara thing was total garbage. It was pointless. It was a fail. I couldn't get into it. But the WWE really seemed to like the idea. It was a good idea. But executed poorly. A real shame to be honest.

CM Punk - I've always been a fan. He has always been my number 1 superstar, and 2011 was his year. The summer was... wow. Everything he did was amazing. Now people say that his constant PPV loses killed his momentum, I disagree. It made him seem human as opposed to another SuperCena. I'm not saying they've dropped the ball with him, but I'm scared that they might. They are apparently worried about ratings right now which is total BS. Lets pray they don't give the title back to Cena AGAIN.

Vladamir Kozlov - The guy was badass when he started. He would come in, no music, nothing. I found it interesting. The guy looked like he just wanted to hurt people. It really got me hooked. But then he just started to die down, teaming up with Santino is just a joke. I feel sorry for this guy.

Chavo Guerrero - He has always been living in Eddie's (R.I.P) shadow. But his feud with Rey was a good one. It felt personal, real. After that feud they could done more with him. But he just turned up to WM and lost in 28 seconds which summed it all up.

Matt Hardy - Jeff had always been the popular one. Matt always did try though. I don't know about you but I enjoyed the time this guy was ECW champ. He then feuded with his brother in an epic storyline. He even beat him at WM. But after that, he just died. Now he's having problems with drugs. Poor guy.

Bobby Lashley - Now I liked this guy. He was a great superstar. He was the future. They just didn't handle it right. For that, he suffered. I thought he would be huge in future. The guy was great in the ring. He had the build, the power, everything. He was just so...cool... now hes doing MMA, and I don't think he will be back. I really believe the WWE should've done better with him.

Justin Gabriel - Booking is burying him. I like him. His finisher is great. He's just, not been given a chance to prove himself. I think he needs to find a good tag team partner like Tyson Kidd. And then try again in the Tag Team division.

Hope you liked my list
:)

1. Mr. Kennedy was injury-prone AND was a work hazard. Ask Orton for details. The WWE didn't bury him, unless the meaning of the word as it is used in pro wrestling suddenly changed overnight. (And what's this I feel about you and Orton...?)

2. Chris Masters was suspended twice for Wellness Policy violations, and that was enough to derail any storylines going for him. Too bad - I thought the gimmick wasn't half bad, and I thought he was getting better around the time he was wished luck for all his future endeavors.

3. Don't care about him, and now that you mention TNA, could care less.

4. :lmao:

Oh come on. COME ON. He feuds with Triple H, Ric Flair, RVD; he wins the IC title thrice, and is given managers and gimmicks, from Mama Thea to the Gold Standard; and he doesn't get over? Fuck him and his talent.

5. Same with Benjamin, only with less athletic ability and a tendency to execute spots lamely. Watered-down. NEXT.

6. Haven't come to them yet. Will do research on this line.

7. He was a good wrestler with a good Angle-like gimmick who became champion on the C show before it exploded into dust, and a title-holder on the B show before he became the butt of Cole's joke.

8. He disappeared so quickly from Raw and so soon after feuding with The Miz, a veritable heat magnet on his own (as John Morrison will tell you) that the WWE likely has a good reason for it.

9. I'm a bit confused myself, but if I were you, I'd hesitate to claim that Rikishi's sons are being buried here, not with imperfect information in our hands.

10. Heels are basically supposed to be cowards, forever slinking away at the first sign of trouble, and attacking faces at unguarded moments. So I don't know what you're talking about here - and why you're sticking the term on a freaking main-eventer.

11. Kaval didn't want to job. Moron.

12. Tyson Kidd's in-ring abilities are indeed amazing. Too bad he sucks at everything else. He deserves his spot.

13. Sin Cara, buried? Wait, what? He was overhyped before his debut AND was a participant at MITB and Survivor Series! How could such an over-rated guy be buried?

14. I've got one question for you: What is the definition of the term 'bury' as it is used in pro wrestling? Come on, type it down. No wrong answers. :rolleyes:

Who did the WWE drop the ball with ?

Simple answer: A lot of people.

As the case with any big business, many people are going to get overlooked or under-utilized. Generally you can't blame the business but there are exceptions to this. The WWE is no stranger to doing this. They do it to talented athletes like Shelton Benjamin or people who are very over like Scotty 2 Hotty (don't argue because he used to be extremely over). Either creative fails to come up with something for them or they do something to get on someone's bad side.

If I had to choose someone recent WWE has dropped the ball with I would go with John Morrison. During his tag run with The Miz it really looked, to me at least, that Morrison was outshining Miz and getting ready to move to the main events to capture the WWE Title. I was disappointed that he never actually made it to that level because I think he is capable of doing so. Maybe if he comes back he can attempt to reach that feat.

Simple answer: A lot of people.

As the case with any big business, many people are going to get overlooked or under-utilized. Generally you can't blame the business but there are exceptions to this. The WWE is no stranger to doing this. They do it to talented athletes like Shelton Benjamin or people who are very over like Scotty 2 Hotty (don't argue because he used to be extremely over). Either creative fails to come up with something for them or they do something to get on someone's bad side.

If I had to choose someone recent WWE has dropped the ball with I would go with John Morrison. During his tag run with The Miz it really looked, to me at least, that Morrison was outshining Miz and getting ready to move to the main events to capture the WWE Title. I was disappointed that he never actually made it to that level because I think he is capable of doing so. Maybe if he comes back he can attempt to reach that feat.

You aren't given main-event matches just because you're over OR because you're oh-so-talented. Sometimes the utter ridiculous-ness of your gimmick, or your body build, or personal factors, would preclude your becoming a world champ.

For instance, Santino Marella. Now, I L-O-V-E Santino Marella for him bringing it (faux-Italian accent, the unibrow, the cobra, the countless comedy skits) every night he's available, and he's very very over, but would he be a creditable long-term WWE champion? Of course not.

In sum: Anybody can be over, but not everybody can be WWE champion. Or even plain champion. But that's how the business works.

I am going to have to say, the whole tag team division. What the hell happened to the great tag teams of the past? Don't get me wrong, I love singles competition, but tag teams were super fun to watch as well. When Owen Hart and Yokozuna aligned with one another, as a kid I had no idea who could have beat those two. Or when Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage formed the Mega powers. Those were the days when tag teams could main event a pay-per-view. Now, it's complete shit and I literally have no idea who is a tag team and who isn't anymore. Tag Team Division needs to be rebuilt and the WWE needs to pick up the ball on this one.

They dropped the ball with Lex Luger in 1993. He should have beaten Yokozuna for the WWF Title at SummerSlam. Instead he got a cheap DQ win, and his slowly lost momentum until he was relegated to the tag team division, then left for WCW. I'm not sure why they killed his push, and then decided to hand the keys to Diesel (Kevin Nash) as the #1 face of the company instead.

I am going to have to say, the whole tag team division. What the hell happened to the great tag teams of the past? Don't get me wrong, I love singles competition, but tag teams were super fun to watch as well. When Owen Hart and Yokozuna aligned with one another, as a kid I had no idea who could have beat those two. Or when Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage formed the Mega powers. Those were the days when tag teams could main event a pay-per-view. Now, it's complete shit and I literally have no idea who is a tag team and who isn't anymore. Tag Team Division needs to be rebuilt and the WWE needs to pick up the ball on this one.

I wonder about this a lot myself. I loved the feuds in the late 90s and early 00s with teams like Edge and Christian, The Hardyz, The Dudleys, Too Cool, APA, DX, The Brothers of Destruction. I know that a lot of the guys who were early in their careers in those teams went on to have very good solo careers but they never really built them back up.

Its always fun to see two main event guys team up and wreck the division for a few months before their eventual feud and breakup but its like they just abandoned the division. Just look at where some of the recent champs are. Slater, Joe Henning, Justin Gabriel are all jobbing or wrestling dark matches. Otunga is Laurinitas's legal council, Kozlov has been cut, Santino is a glorified jobber, DH Smith was fired, Kidd is jobbing.

Sean O Haire, the man with everything. He had an exceptional gimmick, he was a good wrestler, and not to mention, he was a big guy who could talk. People may respond to this, slating O Haire for his lack of self-discipline and violent behaviour, but it was in fact an injury which sidelined him, after he had series of Velocity squash matches, then he was cut. That is a load of crap, when you look at the likes of Kennedy.. Kennedy too was sidelined, and he was worse, yet WWE kept him..

Reading all the replies so far, I have to disagree with all of you and here is why and I'm going to use four wrestlers to illustrate my point.

Kennedy/Anderson: I fail to see how the WWE dropped the ball with him. He beat champion after champion on Smackdown and had high-profile matches on PPV with the likes of Batista and The Undertaker. He kept getting injured time after time which was unfortunate to some. I've never understood all the hype that he got because he was, to me, average in the ring and on the mic. Injuries were his downfall and the situations with Orton backstage didn't help much either.

Carlito: I've said before that Carlito was the laziest wrestler I've ever seen because he had the potential to be great but had that sense of entitlement because of the background that he came from. He had the in-ring ability, he was decent on the mic, and could get the crowd behind him. He constantly complained and complained and look where that got him. Primo wasn't featured a lot and did you hear him complain about his position? He didn't and now he is featured prominently in the tag team division with potential to work his way up. Carlito could have learned something from that.

Shelton Benjamin and John Morrison: I'm a little higher on Benjamin than Morrison but both fall into the category in the sense that they have what it takes in the ring but they just can't get the crowd to care about them consistently, moreso in Benjamin's case. Both are solid midcarders and that shouldn't be a knock on the WWE that they couldn't reach that main event status that you think they should have. I'm throwing Kofi in with them too because I can't see him as a consistent main eventer. What I can see him as is a guy that can be reliable to throw into the main event scene every once in a while when somebody is injured or other circumstances.

Look at guys like Jericho, Angle, and Kane. They were mainly upper midcard their whole careers but could be thrust into the title picture or hold the title if need be. I don't look down on their careers because of that as they are highly valuable assets. We have this notion that everybody can be a main eventer and we feel that there are and have been undeserving wrestlers who are or have been champion. There is nothing wrong with being in the midcard your whole career. It shouldn't be seen as a negative as long as you're good at what you did.

To conclude, sometimes you have to be at the bottom for a while to get a shot at the top. We may think that someone is getting buried if they lose a couple of matches which is ludicrous or someone isn't getting the push they deserve. We live in the world of instant satisfaction when it comes to main event status, storylines, etc. It takes more time for some than it does for others. Your favorite wrestler may never reach that plateau but that doesn't mean Vince dropped the ball. It just means that the wrestler is what he is and that he has limitations that he can't overcome.

For me, I would go with Kenny Dykstra. I thought after his feud with Ric Flair(which he did beat 3 times prior to Flair going over) that he would be inline for a push. I thought he had some charisma, though still developing on the mic. I also thought he was decent in the ring. I felt he could have had a run as the IC/US champ. Honestly, I thought he would have been in Dolph's position right now. But, didn't happen. Now he's in obscurity. I always liked him though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back