Who did the WWE drop the ball with ?

Walker456

Dark Match Winner
So do you think ? For me I'm going to say Shelton Benjamin. The guy was talented not the best on he mic but given him a manger the guy could of gone a lot further.
Also John Morrison this guy was and still is one of my fav 5! Again not great on the mic but in ring skills great.

WWE is coming dangerously close to dropping it with Punk. There was so much interest in him over the summer months and now he has lost some serious steam. I dont really think its his fault he is not being properly utilized by Vince and creative. They have to book him as heel/face rather than a full-fledged face which he is now. However, if Jericho is indeed returning tonight, it should do wonders for Punk.

good call with Shelton Benjamin, great tag team performer and could also carry himself in the singles, look at some of his MITB matches classic

I agree wwe dropped the ball with shelton because yes he lacks in the mic skills but he makes up for it with his in ring skills i think shelton would have been great if they put him with vickie before she was with dolph.
I also think they dropped the ball with MVP he looked like he was on his way to the main event and he had a very good fued with matt hardy for the US title but then they put him in a tag team with mark henry and he became a joke.
Others: Mr Kennedy, Carlito, Masters, Kozlov

i might be way off the mark but didnt WWE get rid of mr kennedy because he had just come back from a long injury and he expected to be in the main event picture and wanted the title straight away. im sure i read this somewhere

Dbomb : I'm loving the way you said Kozlov! They turned him into a joke. One point he was this tough guy who used to head but people in stomach. He had a fued with Triple H nd Jeff Hardy at one point I think. Didn't he even mainevent a PPV with H or Hardy ?
Then he is tagging with Santino? Really ? Talk about kill a gimmick !

Walker456: To be fair after seeing him in the ring he didnt deserve to be in the main event and his mic work was terrible

Undertaker17: I throught they fired mr kennedy because of something to do with orton bitching about him to vince or something about he was reckless in the ring

Ezekiel Jackson. Everything he was suppose to be in 2011 they messed up and gave it to Mark Henry. In 2011 Mark Henry's persona fit the heel version of Ezekiel Jackson. The Personification Of Domination you can't give that to a face, that moniker belongs to a heel just like Hall Of Pain. Mark Henry dominated the super heavyweights all year and reminded me of when Zeke was doing the same things tearing people up then they have him start jobbing. Even Ernest Byner calls that a big time fumble.

Over the years the WWE dropped the ball with a ton of talent...But I think about guys that they let "get away"...

To me; Mr. Kennedy, Elijah Burke, Shelton Benjamin, Kenny Dykstra, John Morrison, Chavo Guerrero, Rhyno and Carlito - are all guys who the WWE dropped the ball on.

Another guy I think they dropped the ball with, is Chris Nowinski. He could have been a great manager or commentator, despite having his wrestling career cut short.

They are also really dropping the ball, by having Jim Ross & Joey Styles under contract (the 2 best announcers in the business right now) and not having either of them on commentary.

Going back even further, I think the WWE really dropped the ball by not giving the World Title to Mr.Perfect, Roddy Piper, Jake Roberts, Ted DiBiase or Rick Rude. All of those guys could have been awesome world champions, and were never given the opportunity.

Crayz Chris:

I totally agree i think if it wasnt for others during there generation they would be awesome world champs one other you didnt add was scott hall who i consider the second best wrestler to never win the world title behind mr perfect

Deuce n' Domino. I think they had the potential to be one of the all-time great tag teams, but WWE completely sabotaged them by booking them to look weak even when they were winning. I think if they had been booked as faces they would have had a lot more success.

i say Shelton yes he had the pieces to at become WHC,the problem was the if the crowd could get behind him enough.I also would say for Kofi there was a time where (just like Cena now) ppl asked Kofi to be heel it would of changed him for the better and it would of allienged him(if done right) with Mark Henry Zeke David Otunga and a called up FCW guy For a "New NOD". lastly MVP if you look at what he's doing in Japan he would be in a legit running for the WWE title.

The "chosen one" mcintyrie had vince behind him and everyone and then what? just gone on superstars crazy.

FucenaHHH99: yeah I agree they ruined Drew when they traded him to Raw! He was one of the top heels on Smackdown back in the day and the WWE ruined. let's hope now he is back on Smackdown he will get the push he needs and deserves!

Another guy I think they dropped the ball with, is Chris Nowinski. He could have been a great manager or commentator, despite having his wrestling career cut short.

They are also really dropping the ball, by having Jim Ross & Joey Styles under contract (the 2 best announcers in the business right now) and not having either of them on commentary..

i agree with you on this Nowinski would have been really good on the play by play on smackdown,and he would be a good person to preach safety to roster

JR is a man that has lead my genoration and countless others it truely a shame that he no the mic(tho i do like that he gives his 2 cents on his blog).

Some1 else posted about Joey Styles,he did good on ecw it think he's cut from that JR cloth in due time i do see a Cole,Matthews.Styles team on the mic

i add coachman i liked him during the backstage interviews and he was alriht at color com during the eric bischoff era

I was thinking the same about Shelton B. earlier today while watching Him vs. HBK on Raw. <-- GREAT MATCH

Others are Chovo, Mr. Kennedy, SHAD (because of Tag Teams), Luck Gallows had potential, Serena Melina, Gail Kim, MULTIPLE others.

i think there are several wrestlers they dropped the ball on. but there are guys they could have done more with with just a heel turn. rey mysterio, the boogie man, john cena. not everything is about money and i think they would freshen up some story lines by turning a few faces. i know the boogie man was nothing special but could of got a lot more out of him.

I agree with every named mentionned in that topic, more with Carlito and Mr. Kennedy, but my vote would be Muhammad Hassan. This guy at the potentital to be something big (even bigger then he was starting to be) a real monster heel for years to come and they flinch because of a stupid coincidence with the London bombing.

WWE should have sent him to Raw and he should have keep his gimmick and character the way it was. That or make him "injured" for a couple of weeks and have him comeback, not send him down to OVW and change what was the perfect gimmick. He got the axe because of what he was scripted to do.

But then again we now live in an idiotic era were people are losing their jobs when they scripted a wrestler to interrupt the national anthem to get old school heel heat because the National guard cried about it.

The 2 that pop out to me the most are Elijah Burke, who was already mentioned and the other big one IMO is Matt Morgan. He's exactly was VKM likes. Yet VKM gives him a stupid studder.

I agree with the mention of Muhammad Hassan.

Up until a month or so again- I would have been screaming for a Mark Henry, monster heel push. I can't ask for that anymore tho.

I'm sure there are others that I cant think of rightnow

They dropped the ball on a lot of guys that weren't able to get a main event spot, because the main event scene was dominated by guys like Cena, HHH, Edge, HBK, Orton, Batista, and the Undertaker.

It wasn't until the WWE was forced into the "new era" that guys like CM Punk, the Miz, Sheamus, etc. were given a fair shot. If Rhodes and Ziggler were around in 2008-9 with their current characters, they would probably be booked on Superstars.

So with that said, a lot of guys around that time were passed on. The guy that sticks out the most to me is Mr. Kennedy.

Two ones that spring to my mind are firstly Paul Burchill. In his pirate gimmick he was awesome. Even afterwards they could have done more with him.

The next one is Tyler Reks, I like the dreaded menacing dreaded psycho look. Ruined it by going back on himself with Hawkins.

Lots of Shelton Benjamin love here and I generally don't see why. It amazes me that people consistently gloss over the fact that Shelton was given multiple and lengthy runs with both the United States & Intercontinental Championships, wins over guys like Chris Jericho, Triple H & Rob Van Dam and spots in high profile matches like MITB but was never able to get himself over to that next level. No one has ever denied Benjamin's athleticism, but the man is as bland as it gets in terms of personality, charisma & mic skills. He's the exact same way in ROH right now as he's was in WWE. There's a big difference in someone that's misused and someone that just couldn't get over no matter how many opportunities he got. There's only so much Vince can do. He can give you opportunities, the rest is up to you because he can't just wave a magic wand and command fans to rally behind you.

As for Carlito & Kennedy, look at the circumstances. Carlito has a reputation of being extremely lazy backstage and, allegedly, has a sense of entitlement because of who his father is. Carlito failed a drug test earlier in his WWE career and his second one resulted in his termination because he refused to attend rehab. As for Kennedy, you're kidding right? The WWE was pushing this guy hard towards the main event level but he kept getting injured. Kennedy spent pretty close to half of his 4 year run in WWE on the shelf due to injuries. He won MITB but they had to take it off him so he could heal up, thereby losing whatever momentum he had & had to start all over again. It was originally intended that he be Vince McMahon's illegitimate son but he gets injured, so the idea was scrapped and turned into a comedy angle instead. He comes back yet again from some sort of injury and wrestles in a six man tag match as his first match back. Reportedly, he almost injures Randy Orton during the match. The WWE invested a lot of time in Kennedy and whether it be due to injury or any other factor, they got very little back in return.

As far as someone that I think they've dropped the ball with, I'm looking at Jack Swagger right off the top of my head. Swagger does have some charisma, some legit personality, he brings a lot of credibility as a mat wrestler to the game, has a good but unique sort of look and can go inside the ring. It's true that Swagger did become World Heavyweight Champion in WWE but his reign is looked at as one of, if not the single, weakest reigns in the history of the title. Swagger has improved in terms of using facial expressions & body language to help sell an angle and tell a story, he's got the ability inside the ring, but he's been a glorified jobber even during the time he was World Heavyweight Champion. I'm not saying Swagger would've been an all time great or even a long term main eventer, but I think he could be a much more viable asset to the WWE than as a high profile jobber.

I agree with a lot of the people already mentioned but one that hasn't been mentioned that I felt was a great in ring performer was Charlie Haas. Great as a team with Shelton Benjamin and was able to go in the ring as a singles competitor.

I think Matt Striker was great on commentary( I know a lot will disagree but I enjoyed his commentary and think he should still be doing it). Can't remember who said Duece and Domino but have to agree with that. Brian Kendrick was another they let go who could go.

Im going with a group. I would have to say that WWE dropped the ball with...

The Hart Foundation.

Lots of story to tell in that one. They could've had Bret as a mentor. Maybe Jim Niedhart would've stayed out of trouble if they would've brought him in for a bit. I know it would've been hard to REALLY pull it off without Teddy Hart, but it still could've been something.

DH Smith, son of the British Bulldog; Natalya, daughter of The Anvil; Tyson Kidd, dating Natalya and last to train in The Dungeon. They looked like the start of reforming the tag division, Natalya could've had a great feud with Beth, etc.

Also, I throw another vote in for Nexus...the original one. Too many dropped storylines and the whole feud with Cena was weak. Bryan fired a week later then no returning feud after he was supposedly "kicked out", Barrett never got his title shot and then got buried afterwards and had to work his way up again, guys went nowhere when they got pushed right from the gate. The whole thing started awesome and then hit a brick wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back