Who Are HOF Worthy Tag Teams???

Who should be in:
The Fabulous Freebirds (P.S., BamBam, BuddyJack, Jimmy Jam)
The Midnight Express (Beautiful Bobby Eaton, Sweet Stan Lane)
Demolition (Ax and Smash)
The Rockers (Shawn's 2nd, Marty J.)
Harlem Heat (Booker T and Stevie Ray)
The New Age Outlaws - Will probably be inducted as DX members
The Steiners
The Hart Foundation - (Bret's 2nd and possibly inducted as the HF stable)
The Hollywood Blondes - (Stone Cold's 2nd)

*Addendum with Scenario*
I'd love to see, when the time comes, The Hardys, The Dudleys, and Edge&Christian to all be inducted together at the same show. So much of their history is linked between the three teams.

I'm gonna poke some holes in a few of these.

The Rockers. One of my three favorite tag teams of all time, and Marty Jannetty is one of my 5 favorite wrestlers of all time. That said, they lack the success required to be hall of famers. They never "officially" won the Tag Team Titles, and are better known for their breakup than for their career as a team. I don't think they're in the echelon of hall of fame level as a tag team.

Midnight Riders. Dusty and Magnum weren't synonymous as a tag team in any appreciable way. Nobody says "gee, I wish I had a DVD of old Midnight Riders matches." They were two great singles stars, but I don't see them standing on their own as a team to make the HoF.

New Age Outlaws. Absolutely. Redefined tag team wrestling in the attitude era. For some, it was these 2 guys and NOT HHH or HBK who launched DX into the level it became.

The British Bulldogs. Absolutely. Davey and Dynamite were just terrific. Instead of inducting them as a team specifically, though, I'd induct each man separately (but in the same year) for their single accomplishments as well.

The Steiner Brothers. Definitely. An all time great brother team in WWF and WCW. Won tag titles everywhere they went. Rare two-country legends with USA and Japan.

The Outsiders. Yes, though I'd also induct each man separately to pay respect to their singles careers as well. I don't know if I'd induct either man on JUST their singles or JUST their tag team careers, but when you factor both in, they're shoe-ins.

Hollywood Blondes. I'm a mark for these guys, but I say no. Not together long enough. Dominated the tag team scene in WCW, but only for about 9 months. History is kind to these guys because of the fact that Steve Austin came from here. Amazing team, lacks longevity to make the HoF.

Harlem Heat. Definitely. WCW's greatest tag team. 10-time champs. Re-defined a dominant tag team.

Here's one I'll add in, and you tell me what you think:
Money Inc. Ted DiBiase and Irwin R Shyster were fantastic together. Great heel team, and had memorable feuds with the Natural Disasters, L.O.D., Steiners, Nasty Boys, High Energy, even the Bushwhackers and Beverley Brothers. Great era of tag team wrestling.

Off the top of my head...

Harlem Heat
DX
Hardy Boyz
Edge and Christian
Fabulous Freedbirds
Rey and Eddie?

It's a joke that Demolition isn't in the HOF.

The Steiner Brothers, Hart Foundation, British Bulldogs, Harlem Heat, and Dudley Boyz are a few others that come to mind.

Three teams immediately comes to mind for me:

DEMOLITION: - The longest reigning World tag team champions of all-time and the best tag team during one of the most competitive (if not the best) eras in tag team wrestling in WWE history.

HARLEM HEAT - How can you argue with 10 WCW Tag Team titles during an era that featured teams like the Nasty Boys, The Steiners, and an aging LOD?

THE STEINER BROTHERS - For all they've accomplished, they certainly are the most underappreciated tag team ever.

Road Warriors: Probably the most popular and best remembered team of the 80s, had their greatest run in the NWA as constant enemies of the Midnight Express and Four Horsemen, but also had much success in the AWA, WWE, and Japan.

Tully Blanchard/Arn Anderson: One of the best examples of two established singles stars forming an excellent team AFTER their singles success. These two were a great combination of off the top rope, technical, and brawling skills with plenty of creative cheating as heels. First tag team ever to win both the NWA/WCW & WWE Tag Titles.

Rock & Roll Express: Hugely popular in the 80s but also extremely talented, they wrestled against heavyweights while wrestling like cruiserweights with a wide array of high flying moves. The crowd reactions they drew were un real, and their feud with The Midnight Express was so good WWE copied the whole dynamic when the created the evil cowardly (but supremely skilled) Hart Foundation (complete with their own obnoxious southern manager, ala the Midnights) vs British Bulldogs.

Midnight Express: One of the greatest heel teams of all time, had a small rotation of members, Bobby Eaton, Dennis Condrey, & Stan Lane (who also excelled as fan fave in The Fantastics) being the primary three. So detestable were they that literally the only way to turn them face was to create another Midnight Express (lead by Paul Heyman) to destroy them.

British Bulldogs: Top face team in WWE in the 80s

Hart Foundation: Top heel team in 80s WWE eclipsing teams lead by Mr Fuji & Freddie Blassie

Harlem Heat: They dominated, exclusively in WCW, during a time when tag teams in general weren't doing much, still they dominated for several years, and their title success was hard to deny.

Personally Im not partial to Demolition, they were too much a rip off the RW, while the Bulldogs-Harts dynamic was based on the Midnights & R&R, it wasn't a carbon copy. And while they had a nice run it wasn't as prolific or as long as the other teams listed.

Rockers (AKA Midnight Rockers) - Had their best success in the AWA as that promotions copy of the R&R Express, copied the look and ring style, only not as well. In WWE they were mostly mid carders and never won a title. HBK's singles success and success in DX far outshines them.

The Outsiders in my view didn't spend enough time as an actual tag team, they were two prominent members of the NWO who teamed from time to time, they didn't compete full time and exclusively as a team they way Anderson & Blanchard did during their run, or the way HBK & HHH did in the 2000s when they reformed their shortened version of DX and won the WWE Tag Titles. To me they are comparable to Ric Flair's teams with Lex Luger (The self proclaimed "Dream Team) in 1987 or his run with Arn Anderson in 1990 & 1996, short term runs built into their bigger singles careers.

The Steiners were extremely popular, won a boat load of titles, and competed successfully in WCW, WWE, & Japan, and at their peak were extremely talented. I can see them being HOF worthy.

The Dudley Boys were by far the biggest tag team in their time, maybe not a great era for tag teams, but their whole ECW styled "get the tables" gimmick was revolutionary for its time.

The Dudley Boys , considering they have titles in damn near every wrestling promotion going. The amount of titles they have spanning all promotions has to be in the upper 30's. No tag team will EVER come close to touching the amazing legacy The Dudley's have left ....and they can still go. They should be in the HOF by default.

The Hardys
Although they hardly held the tag titles (which I find rather odd, if not fucking stupid). They helped make Tables Ladders and Chairs tag team match the must see match at WM (along with Dudleys and Edge and Christian).

Demolition
Dominant. Popular and the first team to win the titles 3 times (if not among the earliest).

The Hart Foundation
The tag team definitely, the entire stable would be a great idea as well (even with the absence of 3 members). They were the pink and black attack. Great as heels, over as faces, they could do no wrong.

Harlem Heat
Pioneers. Highly decorated team of WCW. Booker and Stevie Ray were a huge part of WCW tag title resurgence.

The Steiners
Among the best in WCW, and WWF, they were probably the best workers in the tag team division in WWE or WCW.

The Dudley Boyz (preferably with Spike, can live without him, just saying)
Arguably the most well known performers. Huge success followed them every where. Helped create a huge resurgence in the WWE tag division. Number of title runs and their use of tables made them household names

Edge and Christian
Many title reigns, hugely effective as heel or face they were essential to the late nineties to early 00s era. Part of the trinity of tag teams that redefined the era (E and C, Dudleys, Hardy Boyz).

I can think of quite a few teams that should be inducted.

Wild Samoans
Demolition
Steiner Brothers
Midnight Express
Rock N Roll Express
Dudley Boyz
Hardy Boys

Whether or not Vince McMahon would choose them for induction or whether all the teams would even accept a place of the HOF is another matter all together, but in terms of in-ring/career accomplishments all the above teams are certainly worthy!

Any of the following, Legion of Doom/Road Warriors, the Dudley Boys, the Headbangers, the British Bulldogs, the New Age Outlaws (inducted by HHH) or the Brothers of Destruction (Undertaker/Kane), then Taker can be like Ric Flair and get 2 HOF Rings, one for being in a team and the other for his singles accomplishments such as the Streak etc.

In my opinion there are two glaring omissions from the Hall of fame and that would be Demolition and the Dudley Boys. The Dudleys I see going in at some point over the next couple of years when they finally decide to retire, But I'm a little confused as to why Demolition have not gone in already. I'm not aware of any grudges Vince has with either guy.

OTHER WORTHY TEAMS.

Fabulous Kangaroos,
Harlem Heat
The Steiners
The hardys
The midnight Express
The rock and roll express

The tag team of Edge & Christian is deserving of a tag team HoF bid in my opinion. Take away their singles runs, which were both stellar in their own rights, and you'd still have one amazing tag team. These guys were, in my mind, the best tag team of the attitude era and easily two of my most favorite careers to follow.

there are some obvious ones like LOD, the Bulldogs, and the steiners.

Some not so obvious ones I think could be included are
Money Inc: they were great together. Both good workers, good the mic, and seemed to just fit perfectly together.

The Hollywood Blondes: I really enjoyed them in WCW. They were my favorite part of the show during their run.

The Hart Foundation: they could go in as a tag team but I'd like to see the whole stable go in.

The brain busters: I guess they are technically in as the horsemen but I like them as a tag team. They had great matches with everyone during their WWf tenure.

What about the APA? Multiple time champions and staples of the division for a half decade. Plus they had some of the more entertaining backstage skits.

It amazes me that I made this thread in 2011 and it's still kicking. I'm actually thinking the Hardy's would be a great choice because of their longevity and creative ability over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back