Which Country Has the Best Electronic Music?

The Doctor

Great and Devious
Staff member
Super Moderator
I know we have several people on here who enjoy electronic music as much as I do, so I thought I'd gather some opinions. This came to me as I was driving around today and playing some Neuroticfish and Scooter in my car.

What country produces the best electronic music, and why?

Now, electronic music can encompass any of the myriad of genres (techno, trance, house, etc.). And the criteria for "best" can be whatever you feel makes anything the "best".
Personally, I believe it is the country of Germany, for several reasons.

Germany has the largest electronic music scene in the world.

Kraftwerk is one of the original electronic bands, and they came from Germany. They were some of the the first to make music entirely on electronic music, and have been massively influential. Bands like Depeche Mode and Soft Cell were influenced by Kraftwerk's style. Trance music probably wouldn't even exist without Kraftwerk's influence.

Trance music originated from Germany. German composer Klaus Schulze made some of the first instances of trance music, and Germany was a major player in the origin of the trance culture.

In my opinion, Germany also has the most experimentation and unique electronic music. Bands like Neuroticfish combine a multitude of styles to create something unique, in their case Darkwave, EBM, and many others that can't be named.

Scooter is a German band that has found international popularity with their hard dance stadium sound. They have been operating since 1998 and show no signs of stopping. Their songs and albums have charted in Germany, Australia, Finland, the United Kingdom, Sweden, and many other places.

I believe that in terms of influence and current scene, there is no other country that can match Germany in electronic music.

Uhm .. you are really serious about Scooter, aren't you?
Man, I always hoped no one outside of my country still had to listen to them.

Onto the topic of the thread though.
I ~somehow~ agree with you, I cannot argue about Kraftwerk because you are pretty much right with what you said.
However, largest electronic music scene in the world? I don't think so. Maybe I can shed some light on this since I actually am from Germany. German Electronic music is nowhere near the mainstream or a big movement (anymore). Sure, someone like David Guetta tops the charts but he isn't exactly German and, aside from the mainstream catchy songs, I believe there isn't as big of an interest in electronic music nowadays.

Maybe, if you had asked this question about ~10-12 years ago, I would have had to agree with you. But right now, electronic music isn't nearly as important in Germany.

In terms of calling it the best, I don't know. Everyone is entitled their own opinion, so .. from my point of view, I wouldn't call it the best but again, this is absolutely subjective.

The country I'd choose is France.
This choice is almost cliché to me because I always thought it was obvious which electronic music scene is the biggest at the moment. Maybe I am a little biased, but most electronic artists I like to listen to are French. Look at at Ed Banger Records alone. Mr Oizo, Justice etc.
It also seems to me as if France as a country is more "accepting" of electronic music, while in Germany, it is often laughed at or frowned up, especially in the mainstream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back