• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Where does CM Punk rank among all-time greats?

Where does CM Punk rank among WWE all-time greats?

• 1-10

• 11-20

• 21-30

• 31-40

• 41-50

• 50+

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheOneAndOnlyGOAT

Championship Contender
CM Punk is the best in the world.

He had a lot of great matches in his career, a lot of great promos and a lot of great rivalries.

He has won multiple championships but his biggest accomplishment is being the longest reigning WWE Champion of the modern era.

CM Punk is widely regarded as one of the greatest wrestlers of this generation.

Punk.jpg

Where do you think CM Punk rank among WWE all-time greats?

If we are talking simply WWE then I say 21-30. I could go through all the names but in terms of ability Punk is right up there. He has had some classic matches and is a natural on the mic. If his career has indeed ended then it is a shame but it doesn't mean he isn't a superb wrestler. If he comes back then he can only add to his legacy.

He's not at the Hogan/Austin/Cena/Rock level. Not even HBK/Triple H/Taker but he is still among the great names. Near guys like Savage, Piper, Benoit, Angle, Edge and Batista is where I roughly put Punk my estimation.

Agree with Jake.

Atm, he is in the Top30 at most but if he returns and has another good 3-5 yr run that includes the Main Event and some more classic matches then I see him in the Top15-Top10 range at the end of it.

I agree with these guys as well. Somewhere in the 21-30 range at best. Whether you like CM Punk or not (and I actually do) he wasn't at the top for long enough in WWE to be anywhere near a discussion of one of the all time greats. His ring work is good, but not all time great calibre. Same goes for his mic work. And he doesn't have the classic typical WWE look.

Of course, when they finally pull the plug on this current work and bring him back, he will have the opportunity at least to work his way up the list.

:)

Probably put him in the late 21-30 range. Really only because of the long title reign. That bumps him up big time. He's behind the likes of Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart,, Kurt Angle and Mick Foley. I'd say he's on the level of people like Edge, Chris Jericho, Eddie Guerrero, Batista and Randy Orton.

1 - 10: John Cena, Stone Cold, The Rock, Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, Sting Undertaker, HBK, Ric Flair, Macho Man Randy Savage.

11 - 20:, Foley, Edge, Randy Orton, Sting, Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho, Rey Mysterio, Eddie Guerrero,CM Punk, Chris Benoit

21 - 30: Yokozuna, HHH, Kane, Big Show, Mr. Perfect, Ultimate Warrior, Brock Lesnar, JBL, Roddy Piper, Ted DiBiase,

31 - 40: Batista, Christian, Iron Shiek, Jeff Hardy, , Rob Van Dam, Sgt. Slaughter, Booker T, Daniel Bryan, Goldberg.

41 - 50: Alberto Del Rio, Honky Tonk Man,, Rick Rude, Sheamus, Scott Hall, British Bulldog, Owen Hart, Ricky Steamboat, William Regal,Kevin Nash

Are you kidding us?

ALL-TIME greats?

He's top 100 if even that.

He had lousy career and only got popular because he was Anti-Cena.

Punk all-time is indeed somewhere in the 21-30 range of great wrestlers. I guess he is a B-wrestler,his athletic ability is second to none. That point cannot be argued his mic work cannot be argued. Punk is a wrestling machine a great one at that.. He has had some legendary matches in his career.. His SES gimmick,was pure genius and should have had ran much longer than it did.

He deserved his WM main event spot he truly did. The reason why the lower rating is he wasnt on top for very long. His supposed attitude kinda hurts him,and the fact he walked out hurts him as well. I dont see him coming back anytime soon if ever.

If He comes back though,then most definitely he can improve on his rating as an all-time great. But i dont think he cares where he ranks Punk is an Odd-Bird

Probably put him in the late 21-30 range. Really only because of the long title reign. That bumps him up big time. He's behind the likes of Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart,, Kurt Angle and Mick Foley. I'd say he's on the level of people like Edge, Chris Jericho, Eddie Guerrero, Batista and Randy Orton.

1 - 10: John Cena, Stone Cold, The Rock, Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, Sting Undertaker, HBK, Ric Flair, Macho Man Randy Savage.

11 - 20:, Foley, Edge, Randy Orton, Sting, Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho, Rey Mysterio, Eddie Guerrero,CM Punk, Chris Benoit

21 - 30: Yokozuna, HHH, Kane, Big Show, Mr. Perfect, Ultimate Warrior, Brock Lesnar, JBL, Roddy Piper, Ted DiBiase,

31 - 40: Batista, Christian, Iron Shiek, Jeff Hardy, , Rob Van Dam, Sgt. Slaughter, Booker T, Daniel Bryan, Goldberg.

41 - 50: Alberto Del Rio, Honky Tonk Man,, Rick Rude, Sheamus, Scott Hall, British Bulldog, Owen Hart, Ricky Steamboat, William Regal,Kevin Nash

For starters Bryan,Del Rio,Sheamus,and Punk aren't legends their just popular and main eventers but not all-time greats.Next thing Batista and Brock Lesnar really need to switch place or at least be in the same category because love him or hate him Big Dave was around unlike the 3 1/2 year veteran Brock Lesnar.Another thing Chris Beniot may be 'great' because of his accomplishments but we can't really call him a legend after what he did.If he had legendary status before then it's gone now.But back to the topic.In my eyes Punk (if he comes back) will be a legend in 4 or 5 years but not now.He had 3 good years,wow that really makes him a legend.No,it doesn't.Talk to me when he is at least a 7 time world champion,won a Royal Rumble,and actually won the big one at WrestleMania.He's pretty much been Rock,HHH,Cena,Taker,Orton,Lesnar,Kane and every legend that he has jobbed to/or got beaten up by's bitch.Don't get me wrong I respect Punk and even like Punk.But I don't like crybaby's who walk out because they don't get what they want.So where will he rank...in the top 10 but now he's in the not yet but will/could be in about 5 years column with the likes of Del Rio,Sheamus,Bryan,Cody Rhodes.Also Sting may be a legend but not in the top 15 for a guy wwho has never worked in the WWF/WWE and when and if he debut will only have one or 2 matches.That's my opinon

I'd place him around #15-20. Sure, he only has an eight-year tenure in the bigs, but his work with Jeff Hardy, John Cena, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar is all-time material in my opinion. If he comes back and manages to maintain his 2010-2013 standards for another five years, he'd be a top 10 guy.

That said, he's already etched an indelible mark on the industry, and will always be remembered. Definitely Hall of Fame worthy as is.

Of course, this thread will serve as a superb outlet for "I-swear-I-didn't-worship-Punk-in-2011" freaks to blast the guy in an attempt to alleviate their sexual agony.

Not that high. On the list I submitted for the WZT I think I had him at #64. So outside the top fifty. If we're just discussing strictly WWE superstars then he'd make the top 25. Though if you count the WWE HOF as part of the WWE then he'd be outside the top 30.

1.) Hogan
2.) Rikidozan
3.) El Santo
4.) Ed Lewis
5.) Thesz
6.) Stone Cold
7.) Bruno Sammartino
8.) Antonio Inoki
9.) Antonino Rocca
10.) Ric Flair

11.) The Rock
12.) Verne Gagne
13.) Frank Gotch
14.) Harley Race
15.) John Cena
16.) Jack Brisco
17.) Sting
18.) Ultimate Warrior
19.) Georg Hackenschmidt
20.) Blue Demon

21.) Gorgeous George
22.) Mitsuharu Misawa
23.) The Sheik
24.) Nick Bockwinkel
25.) Randy Savage
26.) Mil Mascaras
27.) Big Daddy
28.) Andre the Giant
29.) Shinya Hashimoto
30.) Triple H

31.) Randy Orton
32.) Bob Backlund
33.) Gory Guerrero
34.) Terry Funk
35.) Undertaker
36.) Shawn Michaels
37.) Bret Hart
38.) Giant Baba
39.) Gene Kiniski
40.) Pat o Conner

41.) Billy Graham
42.) Dory Funk Jr.
43.) Kevin Nash
44.) Dusty Rhodes
45.) Edouard Carpentier
46.) Toshiaki Kawada
47.) Freddie Blassie
48.) Buddy Rogers
49.) Edge
50.) Mick Foley

51.) Kurt Angle
52.) Karl Gotch
53.) Vader
54.) Batista
55.) Ricky Steamboat
56.) The Destroyer
57.) Chris Jericho
58.) Fritz Von Erich
59.) Kenta Kobashi
60.) Carlos Colon

61.) Big Show
62.) Great Muta
63.) Dick Murdoch
64.) CM Punk

In the modern era being the #2 guy was as high as he got. And even then there were plenty of people that were better than CM Punk. He was like the 2014 version of Chris Jericho. I great placeholder, but was never the type of guy you'd want as a long term champion or face of a company.

I wouldn't throw him out altogether. His extremely long title reign alone is the reason I wouldn't put him in 50+.

CM PUNK ...If there was only a PG or modern era in wrestling i would say he was No.2 or 3..
He is the longest reigning wwe champion of the modern era and can be considered as the most successfull and greatest indie wrestler ever...
Well in all time greats list he would be around in 15-25.

This is a terrible terrible list...

What makes Punk over HHH? HHH has had just as many great matches, more titles, main evented more WM's, had two TOP factions of all time. I understand that people on here dont like HHH but there is no logical non hateful reason to put Punk above HHH. HHH on the same level as Kane? Ted Dibiase? and Big SHow? WTF

The fact that Alberto Del Rio is even on your list proves that you were just putting random names down

Edge, Orton, Jericho, Foley, Sting, and Kurt Angle has had WAY better careers than Punk and its not even close

You have Sting at both 6 and 14??? um which one is it

Your age is showing with this list lol No old school legends at all

Punk imo is not an all time great so he doesn't rank anywhere

trick question, despite his long title reign, he simply isn't one of the "all-time greats" I'd rather watch mid card cruiser weights who actually gave you a damn good show. Where in all of punk's career is there a " moment"..... no, not that fake pipe bomb b.s ...... where is his " o my god did you see this????? " pull it up on youtube and impress all your friends moment? Mankind has falling off of the cell, undertaker house countless spots that are memorable, cena has tons , even kofi has better "moments" than punk (putting orton through a table at msg, countless royal rumble and ladder match spots. But, I was thinking about it the other day and I can't recall one, not one, AMAZING punk moment.

Not that high. On the list I submitted for the WZT I think I had him at #64. So outside the top fifty. If we're just discussing strictly WWE superstars then he'd make the top 25. Though if you count the WWE HOF as part of the WWE then he'd be outside the top 30.

1.) Hogan
2.) Rikidozan
3.) El Santo
4.) Ed Lewis
5.) Thesz
6.) Stone Cold
7.) Bruno Sammartino
8.) Antonio Inoki
9.) Antonino Rocca
10.) Ric Flair

11.) The Rock
12.) Verne Gagne
13.) Frank Gotch
14.) Harley Race
15.) John Cena
16.) Jack Brisco
17.) Sting
18.) Ultimate Warrior
19.) Georg Hackenschmidt
20.) Blue Demon

21.) Gorgeous George
22.) Mitsuharu Misawa
23.) The Sheik
24.) Nick Bockwinkel
25.) Randy Savage
26.) Mil Mascaras
27.) Big Daddy
28.) Andre the Giant
29.) Shinya Hashimoto
30.) Triple H

31.) Randy Orton
32.) Bob Backlund
33.) Gory Guerrero
34.) Terry Funk
35.) Undertaker
36.) Shawn Michaels
37.) Bret Hart

43.) Kevin Nash

49.) Edge
50.) Mick Foley

51.) Kurt Angle

53.) Vader
54.) Batista
55.) Ricky Steamboat
56.) The Destroyer
57.) Chris Jericho
LOL !!!!!!!
KEVIN NASH....EDGE!?!.... better than ANGLE!! Batista better than Y2J!?!?!? BUWAAAAHAHAHA!!!! I think it's you who is showing his age, sir. Trips better than both HBK and Bret ???? I guess thats a matter of opinion like the rest of the list but geez. You are wayyyy off. Ultimate Warrior is regarded as one of the biggest embarrassments in wrestling history with his back stage demands , no selling, and working stiff. Not to mention his short time in the pro wrestling world, just like batista.

1.) Hogan
2.) Rikidozan
3.) El Santo
4.) Ed Lewis
5.) Thesz
6.) Stone Cold
7.) Bruno Sammartino
8.) Antonio Inoki
9.) Antonino Rocca
10.) Ric Flair

11.) The Rock
12.) Verne Gagne
13.) Frank Gotch
14.) Harley Race
15.) John Cena
16.) Jack Brisco
17.) Sting
18.) Ultimate Warrior
19.) Georg Hackenschmidt
20.) Blue Demon

21.) Gorgeous George
22.) Mitsuharu Misawa
23.) The Sheik
24.) Nick Bockwinkel
25.) Randy Savage
26.) Mil Mascaras
27.) Big Daddy
28.) Andre the Giant
29.) Shinya Hashimoto
30.) Triple H

31.) Randy Orton
32.) Bob Backlund
33.) Gory Guerrero
34.) Terry Funk
35.) Undertaker
36.) Shawn Michaels
37.) Bret Hart
38.) Giant Baba
39.) Gene Kiniski
40.) Pat o Conner

41.) Billy Graham
42.) Dory Funk Jr.
43.) Kevin Nash
44.) Dusty Rhodes
45.) Edouard Carpentier
46.) Toshiaki Kawada
47.) Freddie Blassie
48.) Buddy Rogers
49.) Edge
50.) Mick Foley

51.) Kurt Angle
52.) Karl Gotch
53.) Vader
54.) Batista
55.) Ricky Steamboat
56.) The Destroyer
57.) Chris Jericho
58.) Fritz Von Erich
59.) Kenta Kobashi
60.) Carlos Colon

61.) Big Show
62.) Great Muta
63.) Dick Murdoch
64.) CM Punk

In the modern era being the #2 guy was as high as he got. And even then there were plenty of people that were better than CM Punk. He was like the 2014 version of Chris Jericho. I great placeholder, but was never the type of guy you'd want as a long term champion or face of a company.

Like you said if it's just WWE he's alot higher than most would think. That said I don't totally agree with your list but for the most part you did a damn nice job considering. Personally I'd have him higher than show and Murdoch, but again we are splitting hair at that point. Rocca is awfully high imo as well. Still nicely done.

1.) Hogan
2.) Rikidozan
3.) El Santo
4.) Ed Lewis
5.) Thesz
6.) Stone Cold
7.) Bruno Sammartino
8.) Antonio Inoki
9.) Antonino Rocca
10.) Ric Flair

11.) The Rock
12.) Verne Gagne
13.) Frank Gotch
14.) Harley Race
15.) John Cena
16.) Jack Brisco
17.) Sting
18.) Ultimate Warrior
19.) Georg Hackenschmidt
20.) Blue Demon

21.) Gorgeous George
22.) Mitsuharu Misawa
23.) The Sheik
24.) Nick Bockwinkel
25.) Randy Savage
26.) Mil Mascaras
27.) Big Daddy
28.) Andre the Giant
29.) Shinya Hashimoto
30.) Triple H

31.) Randy Orton
32.) Bob Backlund
33.) Gory Guerrero
34.) Terry Funk
35.) Undertaker
36.) Shawn Michaels
37.) Bret Hart
38.) Giant Baba
39.) Gene Kiniski
40.) Pat o Conner

41.) Billy Graham
42.) Dory Funk Jr.
43.) Kevin Nash
44.) Dusty Rhodes
45.) Edouard Carpentier
46.) Toshiaki Kawada
47.) Freddie Blassie
48.) Buddy Rogers
49.) Edge
50.) Mick Foley

51.) Kurt Angle
52.) Karl Gotch
53.) Vader
54.) Batista
55.) Ricky Steamboat
56.) The Destroyer
57.) Chris Jericho
58.) Fritz Von Erich
59.) Kenta Kobashi
60.) Carlos Colon

61.) Big Show
62.) Great Muta
63.) Dick Murdoch
64.) CM Punk

You have Big Show on your list and not Roddy Piper?

On to the topic,

Like it or not, Punk had the longest WWE title reign in the last 25 years and the 6 longest title reign of all time.

CM Punk because of that 434 day title reign has become one of the all time greats.

LOL !!!!!!!
KEVIN NASH....EDGE!?!.... better than ANGLE!!

All three were relatively the same from a drawing perspective. Which is what my list is based on.

Batista better than Y2J!?!?!?

Yes. He was a far bigger draw and much bigger deal than Jericho ever was.

I think it's you who is showing his age, sir.

Far from it.

Trips better than both HBK and Bret ?

In what way were Bret or Shwan better than HHH? Trips was a much bigger draw and has a much greater legacy. Hart and HBK are two of the most overblown performers in history.

I guess thats a matter of opinion like the rest of the list but geez.

Drawing power is objective, not subjective. The best wrestlers in history were the best draws in history.

You are wayyyy off.

Parts of my list are relative, but no, I'm not.

Ultimate Warrior is regarded as one of the biggest embarrassments in wrestling history with his back stage demands , no selling, and working stiff. Not to mention his short time in the pro wrestling world, just like batista.

Ultimate Warrior was one of the most popular and over wrestlers in history. You obviously don't understand pro wrestling at all.

You have Big Show on your list and not Roddy Piper?

I only showed the top 64 of the list :shrug:

If that's the case then Rock is easily in the top 3 if not number 1.

Many people consider Rock the biggest draw in wrestling.

No, he's not. He's on the bottom of the top 10. 11th since it's debatable Flair was a bigger gate puller. Hogan, Rikidozan, Santo, Sammartino, Thesz, Lewis, Inoki, and Austin were all much bigger draws than Rocky. The likes of Rocca and Gagne and Gotch were on par with him. Hell, even Cena is probably on par with him.

The only reason Rock remained as relevant as he has is because of the success he's found in Hollywood.

No, he's not. He's on the bottom of the top 10. 11th since it's debatable Flair was a bigger gate puller. Hogan, Rikidozan, Santo, Sammartino, Thesz, Lewis, Inoki, and Austin were all much bigger draws than Rocky. The likes of Rocca and Gagne and Gotch were on par with him. Hell, even Cena is probably on par with him.

The only reason Rock remained as relevant as he has is because of the success he's found in Hollywood.

Cena is bigger than Rock imo but anytime anyone says it they're jumped on by "Rocky Inc." Which consist of GOAT and Rocky 84 who think the Rock is not only the best ever but they literally worship him.

That said back on topic Punk is about 20-25 in WWE history imo

If CM Punk really is gone for good, I'd probably place him somewhere in the top 20 or 25. Punk's won every singles title that's been active in WWE for the past decade, except the Cruiserweight Championship, he's been Tag Team Champion with Kofi Kingston once, he was ECW Champion, 3 time WHC, 2 time WWE Champion, most people say that 2011 and 2012 were the best years of his career, his feud with Cena in 2011 and their match at MITB are already considered classics. He's still majorly over and, if he came back & was given the opportunity, I think his overall placement among the "all time greats" would increase.

I'd have to say in the top 100, maybe even lower. Great on the mike, solid as heel or face, good in the ring but he wasn't some one who brought in the PPV buyrates or tv ratings he worked with the person who did. He's good but the thing that gets me is this belief is that people who are champions and/or stars in this era would compare equally with any one in previous eras and that just isn't necessarily the case. The success you have in the nineties doesn't mean you could be just as successful in the 70s or eighties. The fact is those eras were much much different, the performers had much more time to hone their craft, were better in terms of ring psychology in many cases, and worked much more demanding schedules than the performers of today. I think he did a great job with what time he had, if his departure is real then he did things the wrong way, imo, but he was very good for his run.

Where did you get this list of greatest draws from ? Rock is only relevant because of Hollywood success ? Come on !! Don't diss the guy just because you don't like him leaving for Hollywood. He gave as many if not more memorable moments in his much shorter time in the main event than most of the people on your list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back