• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Where Does A TNA Noob Start?

RicoLen

Wise Guy
I've been wanting to get into TNA (Or is it Impact Wrestling?) for some time. I keep trying to watch it on Thursday Nights but inevitably I get bored and fall asleep.

My biggest problem I tend to face with wrestling is just getting to know the characters. If I don't know them, or know what their story is, I don't give a crap, and then I get bored.

So, that said, can you guys give a guy like me who barely knows anyone's name (I couldn't list a mid-card guy to save my life, let alone an undercard star) a list of a few guys you'd recommend a noob getting to know.

I'm not sure if it's appropriate to ask for youtube videos of these wrestlers on this forum, but at the very least could you give me some links that show why you like these wrestlers and what their prominent storylines have been up until this point?

For my sake, and the sake of other noobs, I would ask that you only focus on one or two guys, and try and give as many interesting highlights about the character as possible. And also try not to talk about a wrestler someone else has already discussed unless you think they've made some kind of grievous error or misrepresentation of their character.

I have a feeling that I'm not the only person around here that simply doesn't like to have to watch pro-wrestling when it's a bunch of guys I know nothing about and care nothing for. So this would probably be a help for a bunch of guys at this forum that want to get into TNA, but just don't know WTF is going on or why.

I'm not even really sure this is the right forum for this topic, instead of the spam forum, because I'd be perfectly happy with a post saying something along the lines of: "This is what this guy has done <YT video>, This is why I like this guy <YT video>, This is why you should get to know this guy <YT video>." And that's pretty spammy.

Rico, first of all, I'm glad you're trying to get into TNA and are actually willing to give it a shot, but I actually think in order to get a better response (and to prevent others from being unnecessarily infracted/warned for spamming), I'm going to move this to the Spam Zone.

Honestly, you are likely to get better responses there, anyway, as it'll see many more eyes as not all users' on the forum regularly visit the TNA section.

I'll revisit this thread in a few hours or tomorrow and give you my input if you haven't gotten sufficient responses from others before then.

Good luck!

Just watch the show through and through for a month straight and see what you think. It takes time to learn about a promotion you don't know and sleeping through it isn't going to help you much. lol. The thing with people not getting into TNA is all the bad shit people have to say about it which doesn't help anyone&#8217;s case in trying to watch a show they've never seen before. If you can watch for a month straight from beginning to end will probably make you decided into liking it or not.

Don't listen to the people who says TNA sucks, its WWE lite, WCW all over again or whatever they can muster up. TNA is a true alternative to WWE and is polar opposites too. It is not the greatest and at times looks shitty because of the production and not having a live feel to it but if you can get through that you might enjoy it.

TNA has a long way to go and they know this and people who complain about it need to realize being around for 10 years is not like the WWE who has been around for 50. (I think?)

Sorry for the ramble I just think watching it and giving it time will help you to figure out whether you like it or not.

Just my two cents Rico.

Sorry for the double post I forgot to add in the wrestlers to watch.

Austin Aires, this guy is amazing all around. He is a true star and he has everything it takes to be a major star. He is also the current X Division Champion too.

Crimson, Sure he is green and has really developed himself but he has a good look and I see him having a bright future in TNA.

Jeff Hardy, Still way over with the crowd and you know who he is since he is from WWE.

Zema Ion, I dig this guy but he hasn't got much tv time but when he does he shines. Hopefully TNA doesn't go the Jay Lethal route with him.

Somoa Joe, watch his matches from his early days in TNA.

Roode, this guy is amazing in the ring and a killer heel.

Strom, this is one of my favorite TNA guy so check him out.

MCMG, when Sabin comes back next year and they're still a team you will see why these guys are awesome.

There is more then this but they are a few guys who are good in the ring. Just check them out on youtube and see what you think.

Hope I helped.

If I were to give advice to a TNA noob, I'd advise to pay particular attention to AJ Styles, Robert Roode, James Storm, MCMG, Crimson, Austin Aries, and Velvet Sky.

I'd advise against going back to watch any previous BFG's, especially 2010, as it will leave a bad taste in your mouth and you probably won't watch anymore.

I'd suggest watching it and accepting it for what it is, and then assessing whether you like it or not. Try not to compare it to WWE, because if you do, it will come up short in almost every category. Accept the fact that the production value isn't there, the consistency to the story lines is absent, and that at times, the product will significantly frustrate you.

It is definitely worth a look, as lots of guys on here really like it, some more so than WWE. Keep an open mind, but keep a bottle of Tylenol handy, and you're good to go.

It's actually the bad shit that's making me think I might like it. lol IWC has a way of complaining and making themselves sound like idiots. So when people hate on Cena all the time, I gave him an honest shot and found I halfway like the guy, and certainly don't think he's either the best guy ever or the worst thing to ever happen either. So likewise the more I hear about how much TNA sucks I find myself thinking I'd probably kinda like it.

But seriously, it's on too damned late in the night and I'm too old and have too early a morning everyday to stay awake through something I find boring. And I'm always gonna find TNA boring (same with WWE) if I don't know who's who. It took me the better part of 2010 to really get back into the swing of things and figure out who's who and why I should give a damn and moreso what my own opinions were of WWE.

At least in WWE's case I knew OF guys like Edge, Chris Jericho, Christian, and I was familiar with HHH & Big Show & HBK. Bret Hart's return was what brought me back.

Today, only Christian actively interests me and makes look forward to his segments, whatever he's doing. For me it's the "new guys" that I'd never seen prior to 2005 when I stopped watching that are drawing my attention. Guys like The Miz, R-Truth (separate the two already dammit! I want to see 2 good segments with 1 guy I like rather than 1 good segment with 2 guys I like) Natalya would draw me too if the diva's division were worth a damn. Punk makes things interesting, The Rock certainly draws me when he's on. Foley definitely will too. Those are really the only guys I truly LIKE. The rest are solid characters but have yet to do something to make me interested in seeing them succeed.

It's been almost 2 years and there's only a small handful of guys I really truly like. I'm just too impatient to do the same with TNA. Especially when Kurt Angle has constantly disappointed me every time I've seen him in TNA, yet in WWE he was one of my all time favorite wrestlers ever.

So... yeah a TNA primer for a noob would be awesome.

EDIT: BTW If you notice my sig, I have Goldberg on my All-Time Fav 5. If I can't rationally explain why he's on the same list with Savage, Perfect, The Rock, & Angle, I have no business being a fan of pro-wrestling. And if I CAN do that, then I should be able to thoroughly enjoy TNA.

I was a WCW mark during the Monday Night Wars, so saying TNA is WCW lite doesn't come across as an insult to me; it's a good thing. I LIKE Hogan, I LIKE Sting, I LIKE Bischof, hell I don't even mind Vince Russo. I just don't know who is who aside from these guys and am not about to slog through it all just to watch some main event that I wouldn't find as good as the rest of the show if I just knew what was what.

I just want to see some kind of video of why so and so is so great.

Could any of you give a link to a video of someone's best segment and another to their best match? That would help a lot.

I intend to keep watching but if I go about it the same way I did with WWE almost 2 years ago, it'll be 2013 before I'm invested in it enough to care about what's going on.

If I were to give advice to a TNA noob, I'd advise to pay particular attention to AJ Styles, Robert Roode, James Storm, MCMG, Crimson, Austin Aries, and Velvet Sky.

I'd advise against going back to watch any previous BFG's, especially 2010, as it will leave a bad taste in your mouth and you probably won't watch anymore.

I'd suggest watching it and accepting it for what it is, and then assessing whether you like it or not. Try not to compare it to WWE, because if you do, it will come up short in almost every category. Accept the fact that the production value isn't there, the consistency to the story lines is absent, and that at times, the product will significantly frustrate you.

It is definitely worth a look, as lots of guys on here really like it, some more so than WWE. Keep an open mind, but keep a bottle of Tylenol handy, and you're good to go.

:zzzz:

:flush:

Start here:
[YOUTUBE]TfdMXsW-2-E[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]UUz5zQjDNWg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]fgvKG4O65q4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]u1QCgwpIqKc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]fZhRFRAF1w8&feature=relmfu[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]wi4G1s2hPZQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]und4dXM1PRU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]9DfWcMZys48[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]BFxd3z5D2BQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]uMdoGJ50VGA&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

If you are easy to satisfy when it comes to wrestling, TNA is a good alternative. If you are picky and it doesn't fit your likings, you will most likely start bashing it.

I've been wanting to get into TNA (Or is it Impact Wrestling?) for some time. I keep trying to watch it on Thursday Nights but inevitably I get bored and fall asleep.

My biggest problem I tend to face with wrestling is just getting to know the characters. If I don't know them, or know what their story is, I don't give a crap, and then I get bored.

So, that said, can you guys give a guy like me who barely knows anyone's name (I couldn't list a mid-card guy to save my life, let alone an undercard star) a list of a few guys you'd recommend a noob getting to know.

I'm not sure if it's appropriate to ask for youtube videos of these wrestlers on this forum, but at the very least could you give me some links that show why you like these wrestlers and what their prominent storylines have been up until this point?

For my sake, and the sake of other noobs, I would ask that you only focus on one or two guys, and try and give as many interesting highlights about the character as possible. And also try not to talk about a wrestler someone else has already discussed unless you think they've made some kind of grievous error or misrepresentation of their character.

I have a feeling that I'm not the only person around here that simply doesn't like to have to watch pro-wrestling when it's a bunch of guys I know nothing about and care nothing for. So this would probably be a help for a bunch of guys at this forum that want to get into TNA, but just don't know WTF is going on or why.

I'm not even really sure this is the right forum for this topic, instead of the spam forum, because I'd be perfectly happy with a post saying something along the lines of: "This is what this guy has done <YT video>, This is why I like this guy <YT video>, This is why you should get to know this guy <YT video>." And that's pretty spammy.

I'm going to give you what IMO are the best four names to follow &#8212; one you should already recognize, and the other three you may not quite yet.

&#8226; Jeff Hardy. He's got a history of delinquent behavior, but in terms of sheer ability and crowd support (as in the ability to really energize the crowd, which makes his matches more exciting than your average match) he's one of the key names in TNA you should take note of, because all signs point toward another major push for Hardy in the (near?) future. You may not be a fan of his history, but Hardy is a man reborn right now and his matches and story line are both hot IMO with TNA actually using what happened at Victory Road as a means to re-vault Hardy back into good graces via a bit of a redemption story line. He's feuding with Jeff Jarrett at the moment over his being part of TNA's future. Jarrett (kayfabe) wants Hardy out and says people are done giving him second chances, which is obviously not the case, but he's playing the heel.

[YOUTUBE]VvU4ani_bDQ[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]35zWImEut20[/YOUTUBE]

&#8226; James Storm. He's the "creek swimmin', moonshine sippin', deer skinnin', beer drinkin', Johnny Cash list'nin" cowboy and plays the part perfectly. When you think back to some of the most successful southern cowboy gimmicks in wrestling over the years you probably think of guys like Bob Orton, Barry Windham, Dustin Rhodes, Bradshaw and even Steve Austin (to an event). Well, watch James Storm for a few weeks and I think you'll likely see a legitimate spot for him to make that group over time. He seems to have a handful or so of loud-mouthed detractors here, most of whom cite his mic work as suspect (considering his southern drawl), but Storm is very much a major part of the future of TNA, and frankly I don't consider their complaints over how he speaks all that legitimate anyway. He's been in TNA since day one and has clawed his way all the way to the main event where he won his first World Heavyweight title a few weeks in a match where he went over Kurt Angle. Storm is a total throwback to what made so many of the stars of the 80's so popular. Give him the opportunity and he won't' disappoint. He's currently feuding with his long-time and now ex-tag team partner Bobby Roode who is next in the list.

[YOUTUBE]oxlxbEXXg1w[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]N2iNsmyAv1E[/YOUTUBE]

&#8226; Bobby Roode. Roode was the long-time tag-team partner of James Storm who together were known as Beer Money, Inc. Corny name, but fantastic tag team that won the TNA World Tag Team Championships 4 times and were anointed tag team of the year by PWI in 2008. Like Storm, he's a bit of a throwback style wrestler who's gimmick largely emulates a fusion of Curt Hennig and Rick Rude, so suffice it to say he's got a very strong foundation to build on if the legacies of either of those two men are anything to build from (you'd be crazy to think otherwise). A lot of people see a young Triple H in him, as well. He's feuding with James Storm right now after turning on him (in typical tag-team splitting due to jealousy fashion) and is the current TNA World Heavyweight champion after pinning Storm a few weeks ago after smashing Storm's trademark beer bottle on his head to pick up the victory. Storm/Roode is widely considered to be TNA's next big feud.

[YOUTUBE]PnZRtiiqgF8[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]gxxvb2rjoSg[/YOUTUBE]

&#8226; AJ Styles. He's wallowing a bit in the mid-card at the moment, but you'll find none more entertaining in the ring in TNA than the Phenomenal One himself. Styles is a total hybrid of new school meets old school. He has all the character traits of a traditional southern baby face with all the in-ring talents of a supreme, high-flying and highly entertaining new school spot-style wrestler. He's currently involved partially with two feuds &#8212; one with Bobby Roode (who he teamed with in a baby face faction called Fourtune for months), who he is upset with over his treatment of James Storm, and also with another ex-Fourtune member in Christopher Daniels who is his (real life and kayfabe) best friend who also turned on him in a jealous fit. Styles' YouTube clips alone should be enough for you to want to watch him perform every week.

[YOUTUBE]fj1LMv-OQcA[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]XPjPEvr238Q[/YOUTUBE]

--

Hope that's enough for you to get involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back