When exactly did the Attitude Era end?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SickJames, if i may add to your "when it started" argument

the AE is similar to the nWo angle in this way: what Austin did in KOR 96 was like Scott Hall appearing on Nitro, it was leading up to that. the night Hall went to Nitro and said "you know who he is, but you don't know why he's there" didn't start the nWo, it just started the sequence of events for the actual thing to happen. same thing w/ Austin in KOR

I believe the Attitude Era took place between WrestleMania XIV and WrestleMania X-Seven. Yes, there were events that took place prior to WM XIV and after WM X-Seven, but the actual “Era” was XIV – X-Seven.

In my opinion the Attitude had many era's accumulated into one big era.

The Jerry Springer years (Late 1996-1997)
The Stone Cold years (1998-1999)
The Attitude Talent Rises (1999-2000)
The Change (2001)
The end of an era (2001-2003) HHH beating th WCW's top guys era.

Mania 20 was meant to be the start of a new era I don't see what was accomplished part from Cena, JBL, Edge, Batista, Rey, Orton and Shamus becoming champions.

It was never officially recgonized that the attitude era ended apart from the WWE Anthology CD from 2002, which shows that 2001 was the end of the era and the now CD was filled with songs from 2002.

This may not have much importance, but I will mention it as pointing out an observation:

Back in 1998,1999, and perhaps 2000, Whenever you saw the opening for a Raw or Pay per view, you would see the WWF logo then Attitude, several years later, around 2002 to be exact, whenever you saw the opening of a Raw or Pay per view, you see Attitude then Entertainment. Finally, and I would say from 2003 and on, all you would see after the intro of a Raw or pay per view would simply be the word Entertainment shown.

So it evolved from: 1) Attitude 2) Attitude-Entertainment 3) Entertainment

The decision to move away from the Attitude era was not done overnight. Its was a slow process and thats why it may be hard to point out exactly when it ceased to exist.

Austin making that speech didnt start that. No one had it in mind that he'd go out there and suddenly that era would start. Scott Hall's was planned that way. Just cause Austin was a big part of the era doesnt mean that's when it started. I get what you mean Deadman but it didnt start there, I gave 96-97 the credit of being the years that sparked it, but didnt start it at all. That shot Austin's career off, but that doesnt mean it was the beginning of Attitude

And for the ppl talking about the logo, maybe they just were hanging onto that until they wanted to change it. It still doesnt change the fact that it did end in 2001. What King Patrick said is more dead on about it starting at WrestleMania 14 and ending a little after WrestleMania 17, that is true. There's no other start or end time based on anything. Remember just cause something ends doesnt mean you wont see a few things similar during a transitional period

96-97 was a transitional period INTO the Attitude Era and 2002 was a transitional period after it ended

Go look at the 3 Disc CD (WWE Anthology)
if you look at each disc it lists a different Era

Disc 1: The Federation Years
Disc 2: The Attitude Era
Disc 3: Now (this is because that era was just starting and the CD came out in 2002!!)

How can you argue with the damn company?!

John Cena WAS NOT apart of the Attitude Era and he started in 2002. 2002 was nothing more than a transitional period after the Attitude Era ended and the InVasion angle died out because that started after the Attitude Era ended. Brock Lesnar was also not apart of the Attitude Era nor was Batista or Randy Orton.

It doesnt matter what else happened afterwards, even the whole Katie Vick thing, WWE still has crumbs of Attitude left afterwards but that shouldve been expected with stars FROM THAT ERA. but the Era was dead.

but again, WWE also listed this in an issue of WWE Magazine (i'm still looking for it, i have a big collection, I will post the date and month and who's on the cover)

and also on a few DVDs, I'll be looking through those too.

Seriously some of you are way off talking about it ended in 2003 and started in 96-97 . These are just transitional periods (96-97 & 02)

But remember the new generation of Superstars werent in the Attitude Era and came in at 2002

WWE brought back ECW and had it just like it was back in the company for the first ECW One Night Stand but that doesnt mean the Attitude Era came back in 05-06 because ECW had that PPV & DX came back

Stars can be from an Era but carry on to a new one. Saying that it ended when Rock & Austin left it just silly, saying that it's based around one or two stars like others didnt have a strong part in it too

I would say the attitude era started during the build up to Survivor Series 97, the night that all of the idiot internet marks won't let go of, the screw job where Bret screwed himself.

As far as the ending is concerned the invasion weaked it to the point where it was on life support, if anything caused the plug to be pulled it was the night Triple H had sex with a "dead body" wearing a Kane mask.

First of all before you state your argument, you must define what an era is. Now according to your dictionary.com, there were 3 different points on what an era is.
1.an event or date that marks the beginning of a new or important period in the history of something
2.a period of time measured from some important occurrence or date
3.a period of time considered in terms of noteworthy and characteristic events, developments, individuals, etc. an era of progress

Now to some up what these points mean in simpler english, An era is something that begins after a noteworthy event, the 80's golden age began when hogan won the title in 1984, the new generation era began in late 1991 when the wwf title became vacant and at royal rumble 1992 when ric flair won the title and a new crop of younger stars became champions.

Firstly, when Stone Cold Steve Austin won the wwf title at wrestlemania 14, what did jim ross say? he did not say the attitude era has begun but the austin era has begun, those are two different things. the attitude era was when the wwf had violence and swearing and dx, austin and rock leading the company. The austin era was when austin held the title, no way can it be said that the attitude era was the era of scsa but the rock was just as huge. In 2000, it was the rock's era as he was the man.
Now as the definition of era has stated that, an era begins at a noteworthy event, what would that be? Well the Montreal screwjob, happened on november 9th, 1997, that was the last day of bret hart in the wwf and after that a huge change happened in wrestling, the mcmahon character was born, we had dx becoming even more sexual and the departure of bret hart who was a main eventer mean't that a new breed of stars were to shine. Every era has its stars, the 80's had hogan, savage, andre, piper and warrior. the new generation had bret hart, hbk, undertaker, diesel and razor ramon. So by the time the montreal screwjob happened, the wwf had just lost 3 of its stars of the era. Now once bret got screwed everything changed, they need new stars to depend on, yes austin was alrready gonna be champ in da next couple of months but the rock shot up through the ranks and became the most improved wrestler of 98 and hhh became even bigger with dx. People have stated that the attitude era ended in late 99, because that is when the mcmahon-helmsley era began but the thing is that was only a storyline, nothing more, if is was for that there would be an era every year, 08 would have been the jericho-hbk era coz of their storyline and 07 would have been da cena one. No at dat tme of the mcmahon-helmsley era, the ratings were still the same, there was still violence, swearing and the kat was still showing her tits to the crowd. Then people have said that it ended during the invasion but that was just a storyline, it didnt really make a significant change to the wwe as the ratings in 01 were still high and there were the same top stars as 97, 98, 99 and 2000, with the exception of y2j.

The noteworthy event that ended the era to me is the brand extensions, ppl have said it was when the wwf had that get the f out shit but that really didnt change the storylines or anything in wrestling, the brand extension was when austin and rock hung up their boots as full time stars, yes they came back in 03 but only part time and it was when hhh and angle finally became the top stars and brock lesnar was born and guerrero and benoit were getting there biggest push and the wwe became family friendly, you cannot say that the invasion was family friendly because to be fair it wasnt, it had a shitload of violence and swearing. Also every era has it's peak the 80's golden age lasted from 84 to 91 but the peak was from 85 with the birth of wrestlemania until wrestlemania 6 when warrior pinned hogan than the ratings were still high but they slowly went down. Thats the same with the attitude era, it lasted from the montreal screwjob in late 97 and last until early 02 when the brand extension began but to me the PEAK of the era was from wm 14 to wm 17.

Also the eras after attitude era was the (ruthless aggression or post attitude era) which lasted from early 02 until 05 when cena and batista won the titles, the reason why I HAVE said that it ended here is coz the stars of the previous era werent main eventers anymore or werent in da business and a whole new range of stars were born, lesnar and goldberg left, guerrero and benoit went to the upper midcard and hhh and angle had their time at da top. To me the pg era began at wm 21 and has been at its peak (in terms of being pg since late 07).

ATTITUDE ERA (MONTREAL SCREWJOB IN LATE 1997 - BRAND EXTENSION IN EARLY 2002)
PEAK OF THE ATTITUDE ERA (WRESTLEMANIA 14 - WRESTLEMANIA 17)

I'd say the furthest back you can go is Lesnar's debut, because here was a guy totally unrelated to either WWE/WCW before that time who Vince was going to push as his next big thing, if he had pushed the likes of Edge and Jeff Hardy immediately after the Invasion then you could argue the Attitude Era extending because those guys were Attitude guys (anyone defined by TLC has to be), but the fact that he wiped the slate clean (for a while) by pushing this new guy (who could wrestle Kurt Angle style) who didn't have any Attitude like gimmicks or catchphrases surely signaled the undisputed end of that era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back