• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

When did the Attitude Era officially begin?

When did the Attitude Era officially begin?

• WrestleMania 14

• Montreal Screwjob

• King of the Ring 1996

• Other (please state)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I would have to say the beginning of the Attitude era was the Raw where the WWF title changed hands for the first time on the show. It was right after the PPV where Bret Hart won the title in a fatal four way just to lose it to Sid the next night because of interference by Steve Austin. That sparked the bitterness in Bret Hart which turned him heel. He started showing it when HBK forfeit the title (in Bret's eyes because HBK was afraid of him) and then you had Austin being a thorn in his side and it all snapped that night. Fans saw Bret as a whiner, Stone Cold used that to get over, DX was basically formed to mock it and now since Bret was a bad guy, still standing for rightousness in his eyes, fans were against and cheered for the people of the opposite. Stone Cold and DX which had the snowball down a hill effect after that.

Undoubtedly it started WrestleMania 13.

The second the audience turned on the "good guy" (Bret Hart) and started rooting for the "bad ass" (Stone Cold) was the night The Attitude Era started.

When I saw the title of this thread this is the first thing that popped into my mind. Such a great great match with a great double turn. The fans started hating Bret and loving Stone Cold as the match was going on. Great job by both guys in telling a story in the ring to make it happen. In my opinion this is when the attitude era began.

There's a few times/people I think shaped the Attitude Era like Goldust was years ahead of his time in terms of chracter and pushing the boundaries, same with Austin's 316 speech at the 1996 King of the Ring or even Survivor Series 1996 being the PPV that had the influx of Attitude Era stars debuting or being show cased.

Personally I'd say it was implimented in November 1996, when Pillman shot at Austin; between 95-96 you had things happening that I see as testing the waters & the change of winds I guess you could say but that moment was when the product changed, Bret/Austin, Mankind/Taker & HBK/Sid them feuds had moments that wouldn't happened in the 'New Gen' Generation era.

And before people bitch watch Royal Rumble 97 and WrestleMania 13 and you'll see WWE had change the product, the way Austin won the rumble, Bret/Austin & Chi-town street fight.

The history of World War 2 doesn't start the day war was officially declared. Alot of stuff led up to it.

To me, the Attitude Era began when Austin won the title. The screw job and DX were precursors.

I actually credit the Stone Cold vs Hitman feud with starting it all off, so for me it's Survivor Series 1996 or Royal Rumble 1997, probably the Rumble as that's where what seemed a very real feud really kicked off the Bret heel turn and make the product seem a lot edgier

In context of the main two organizations at the time (WWF and WCW) I would mark the beginning of the Attitude Era at WM XII. This was a changing of the guard. The title moved from the previous era's champ to the one who would begin to represent the new era. Now this is a very small start but over the next two years there would be events that make it bigger and bigger until we hit full blown attitude era at WM XIV.

1) Formation of NWO: This would happen a few months after WM XII. This is important as it marks the first time that the heels were more important then the faces. It also skewed the lines of heels and faces as the NWO where a clear cut heel group that was the most over thing in wrestling.

2) KOTR 96: Right around the time of the formation of the NWO you have the beginning of WWF's one man NWO. Stone Cold wins the KOTR and gives the WWF their heel who is over like a face.

3) Hog Wild 96: The NWO is getting more powerfull and it has lead to Hogan's title shot at this event against the Champ Giant. Now this is key as usually it is the face who has the build up to win the title, but here roles are reversed. Something that happened during the Attitude Era often.

4)Royal Rumble 97: Again Austin goes over by cheating and the fans are eating it up.

5) WM XIII: The double switch. Austin is now a full blown face but acts the same. He is just now accepted by the WWF and not appauled for his actions. Bret becomes a heel for the first time since early Hart Foundation days. Also, the dialog between Bret and Shawn during the main event here is all Attitude as you can't tell (at the time) what is real and what is show.

6) Formation of DX: This group is all Atitude and completely changes the game.

7) First HIAC match: Taker and Shawn put on a classic in there primes. This introduces the WWF to hardcore wrestling which again, another staple of Attitude.

8) Survivor Series 97: This is the big one. Up to this point it could have just been a trend, but now there's no going back. We get the birth of Mr. McMahon, and the end of Bret in the WWF.

9) Mike Tyson: This was huge. He was the baddest man on the planet and he was in the WWF.

10) WM XIV: And with Austin (the poster boy of Attitude) winning the title he ushers us into full blown Attitude Era.

As for an ending, I would put it at the end of 2001 when Jericho beats both Austin and Rock for the undisputed title. Here we have the two biggest Attitude stars losing in the same night to an up and comer. A sign that things are going to be different.

its the screw job for me because without that Mr. McMahon isnt able to be made into the evil boss he eventually became. yea he would have become mr mcmahon anyway but theres no way he reaches the level he reached without the screw job. the mr mchmahon character was the biggest heel of the last 20 years

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back