• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

When exactly did the Attitude Era end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomsday Device

Pre-Show Stalwart
Its easier to point out when the Attitude Era began, we can trace it as early as King of the Ring 96, when Austin dropped the now famous Austin 3:16 and several months later started his rebellious style. Then in late 97 with the heel version of DX. And shortly after that the Rock contributed in feeding this era as well.

But whats debatable is around what time did this era come to an end. Some say it was at Wrestlemania 17 when Austin "sold out" to Vince. Others say it was in 2002 when WWF turned into WWE. I think it lasted past these two moments that I mentioned. Still by 2006 wrestlers were still using phrases such as "son of a bitch" and women were still coming out as naked as they could to the ring.

Defintely this era was dead buried and gone by 2008. Enter the PG Era at this time.

So, in your opinion. When would you say the Attitude era came to an End?

It ended in 2002. Because WWF still had the "WWF attitude" logo in 2002. Then once WWF changed to WWE thats when that logo went away. Some people may say after WM 17, but we were definently still in the A.E. in 2002

I think it definitely began at KOTR 1996 - think of everything that happened in the following year... Austin cheats to win KOTR, has a blood bath with Bret, attacks inside Pillman's home, DX is born etc etc... this carried out until WWE purchased WCW- the end of the attitude era!

I feel that it is hard to pinpoint an actual moment when the Attitude Era ended, but it is pretty easy to find the moment when the decline began. March 14, 2004. Goldberg vs Lesnar at WrestleMania XX. What could have been an epic clash of two titans, turned into 5 minutes of staring and about 4 1/2 minutes of actual action. I know that there were several shocking moments that were Attitude-esque, but nothing that would be as comparable to a moment such as Austin dumping wet concrete into Vince's car. I think after WrestleMania XX, the moment the Attitude Era came to a complete end was when Triple H tapped to John Cena at WrestleMania 22, IMO.

This is a topic I've thought quite a bit about before having grown up during the Attitude Era (you kids nowadays don't know what you missed man!), and typically everyone's answer usually places the era around 1996-2002, somewhere between those years. For me though there are several different distinct "mini-eras" during the Attitude Era, specifically when Austin was hit by the car at Survivor Series 1999. That to me is a strong candidate for being the end of the Attitude Era simply because Austin was that era and the year 2000 saw a definite step away from the Russo-heavy previous years in the era towards a much more in-ring oriented product with guys like Benoit and Jericho and Angle rising to the top. 2000 was the year of Triple H and the Rock, so I've always kind of considered that to be a different era than 97-99 when Austin dominated everything. But, I'd still consider it to be a part of the same overall "Attitude Era".

Pretty much for me, the era began not in 1996 (though I loved that year), but in mid-1997. I'm trying to remember the exact date this specific Raw took place on, but it's slipping my mind. Somewhere between March and May of 1997 Raw changed it's entire set to the famous "Titan Tron" set that we all know from the Attitude Era. That, coupled with Bret Hart's heel turn for me signified the beginning of the Attitude Era.

As for when it ended? Like I said, there were a few "mini-eras" during that time that I considered. I consider November '99 to be the end of the "classic" era of the Attitude Era, but Nov. 99 to Nov. 2001 is what I consider to be the official last stage of the Attitude Era. For me the era ended after the Invasion storyline ended at Survivor Series 2001, because it was at that time that WCW and ECW were truly and finally officially dead and the WWE was the undisputed king of the wrestling world. Once Jericho went over both Rock and Austin in the same night, the Attitude Era's two biggest stars, that to me signified the end of an era, and the dawning of a new era in the WWE.

I don't like to get all serious and heavy, but I'd say September 11, 2001.

WCW was gone. ECW was gone. And the Invasion angle was dying. ECW was brought in to prop it up, Austin defected to "the Alliance" to prop it up, but really all it was was Austin, a bunch of flunkies, RVD and Page with Taz as a spokesman on commentary. (Oh, and the XFL had failed that year.)

September 11 had a big impact on culture, and part of that shift meant that it was hard to take WWF ridiculousness seriously. Crotch chops and raised middle fingers and rebellion in general suddenly was just out of step. To this day, I'd say they missed an opportunity to put their milk-drinking, slightly dorky red-white-and-blue Olympic Gold Medalist out there as champion and try to re-run Hulkamania in front of crowds desperate to chant "USA".

Since then, they've been spinning their wheels and I still don't think that McMahon has found a successful formula, with the exception of Heyman's Smackdown with Lesnar, Angle, Benoit, Guerrero, Edge and Mysterio.

Most people say 2001, others 2002. But no one mentions 2003.

Around Wrestlemania 19 (2003) The company was going through a change. It just felt different. Rock was making its way out to do movies, Austin was retiring due to injuries, Shawn was a different man due to his religion, and Trips was about to put together Evolution. And Brock and Goldberg were the 2 top dogs. Like I said around 2003 the brand started to have a different feel to it, it was like either intentionally, or unintentionally it was starting to steer away from the AE (Attitude Era)

i would honestly have to say the beginning of the end of the "Attitude Era" was with the purchase of WCW. WWE had won the war and had no more competition. From there, the ratings, and writing declined. I think once they had the pay per view Invasion, it kinda signaled the end. It was then that i think there was really no title to 2001. It was kind of in limbo. The "Entertainment Era" began the next year in 2002 with the brand extension and the "the get F out" slogan.

I don't like to get all serious and heavy, but I'd say September 11, 2001. (...) It had a big impact on culture, and part of that shift meant that it was hard to take WWF ridiculousness seriously. Crotch chops and raised middle fingers and rebellion in general suddenly was just out of step. To this day, I'd say they missed an opportunity to put their milk-drinking, slightly dorky red-white-and-blue Olympic Gold Medalist out there as champion and try to re-run Hulkamania in front of crowds desperate to chant "USA".

For me, the end of the Attitude Era BEGAN in September 11, 2001. RAW IS WAR disappeared. And from that moment, the great stars like Austin and Rock were about to leave. Then, Cena appeared, so as Evolution, so as Goldberg's lame run on WWE. After that, WWE was trying to sell a lame ripoff of the Attitude Era but in "light". Until the death of Chris Benoit. That gave so much impact to the company that make the WWE bury all that forever

Rock as champion ... :worship:
Austin as champion ... :worship:
Cena as champion ... :wtf:

To me the Attitude Era ended, in 2002 when the wwf turned to wwe, but it was still rated pg 14 during the Post War/Entertainment Era, though not the same intensity and inappropriateness as 1996 to 2002.

The "Attitude" era was absolutely finished the moment that WWF changed its name to WWE. But I think that the "Attitude era" really began and ended with the Monday night wars. When WCW folded in 2001, that ended the MNW and by defult put an end to the attitude era. To me the term "Attitude Era" represents the style of crash television wrestling that was produced by the WWF to counter the NWO Era of WCW. 1996-2001.

It's tough to say, but 2002-2003 would probably be most accurate. Looking back, I think that Austin, Rock and DX started the Attitude era around 97-98. I don't think it's wrong to say that once Austin and Rock were gone, so was the era. Austin as GM doesn't count.

The Attitude Era didn't begin until 1997 when WWE changed their stage, went live, and finally got out of the Manhattan Center. This was a few weeks before WM and the big match between Sid/Undertaker. It didn't officially begin though until Austin won the belt from HBK in 98 because then he was officially the face of that era that led the company in a new direction.

As for the Attitude Era, I'd say that it died after the Invasion Angle and when Ric Flair came in to be part owner of the WWE. But imho, the Attitude Era officially died when the brand split happened in 2002. So many changes happened in 2002. They got rid of the F in WWF and made it WWE, Scott Hall was fired signaling the end of the nWo in WWE, Brock Lesnar debuted, Jerry Lawler came back to announcing, there was a new unified belt. Hell, WWE even called that era, "The Ruthless Aggression Era". So yes, after WM18 in 2002 is when it changed. 2002 was a complete overhaul year for WWE, so it's 2002

IMO, the attitude era began with it's greatest star, Austin. It ended the same way, when it's star left in 2002. Even though he came back, Austin leaving in 2002, as the WWF changed to WWE, officially killed the AE.. Just one man's opinion.

I've thought about this a whole lot and I cannot agree anymore with whoever said that Austin WAS the Attitude Era. But I'm going to go a little further and have to say that the Austin vs. Mcmahon feud was what defined the era. I agree that small things started happening here and there in 96-97 but personally, I feel the official start of the Attitude Era was when Stone Cold finally won the title at WM14. That is when it seriously took off.

Now, I'm going to say something different: I BELIEVE THE ATTITUDE ERA ENDED IN MID-99. Moreso around Fully Loaded in July, which was ironically titled "The End of An Era". Why don't I consider half of 99 and all of 2000 part of the era? I have multiple reasons:

- Stone Cold got injured and was off of TV for almost a year
- Undertaker got injured/took leave and was off TV for several months
- Mick Foley retired (at least his first time)
- Kane went face (WTF! I'm talking about the original Kane here)
- DX split up (HHH started to pursue his singles career)
- Whole crop of new wrestlers (Angle, Tazz, Benoit, Guerrero, etc.)
- Mr. Mcmahon went face (up until Wm2000) (WTF!!!)
- WCW was no longer the threat it once was
- THE MCMAHON-AUSTIN FEUD DIED ---> number 1 reason

Now, the top stars of the attitude era (imo) were Stone Cold, the Rock, DX, undertaker, Kane, Mankind, and McMahon. Well, in late99-2000, 2 of them left TV, the most popular stable (DX) split up, Mick Foley (mankind) retired, and 2 of the guys we could not picture as babyfaces went babyface: kane and mcmahon.

I know the Rock and others contributed a lot to our definition and memory of the "Attitude" era but I stand by my point that I believe Austin and Mcmahon defined the era with their feud. When I think of the Attitude Era, I don't think of Rock and Triple H's feud (main event status, not midcard) or the Mcmahon-Helmsley Faction; I think of Vince McMahon vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin. Conclusion:

The Attitude Era was March 1998 - July 1999.

I've thought about this a whole lot and I cannot agree anymore with whoever said that Austin WAS the Attitude Era. But I'm going to go a little further and have to say that the Austin vs. Mcmahon feud was what defined the era. I agree that small things started happening here and there in 96-97 but personally, I feel the official start of the Attitude Era was when Stone Cold finally won the title at WM14. That is when it seriously took off.

Now, I'm going to say something different: I BELIEVE THE ATTITUDE ERA ENDED IN MID-99. Moreso around Fully Loaded in July, which was ironically titled "The End of An Era". Why don't I consider half of 99 and all of 2000 part of the era? I have multiple reasons:

- Stone Cold got injured and was off of TV for almost a year
- Undertaker got injured/took leave and was off TV for several months
- Mick Foley retired (at least his first time)
- Kane went face (WTF! I'm talking about the original Kane here)
- DX split up (HHH started to pursue his singles career)
- Whole crop of new wrestlers (Angle, Tazz, Benoit, Guerrero, etc.)
- Mr. Mcmahon went face (up until Wm2000) (WTF!!!)
- WCW was no longer the threat it once was
- THE MCMAHON-AUSTIN FEUD DIED ---> number 1 reason

Now, the top stars of the attitude era (imo) were Stone Cold, the Rock, DX, undertaker, Kane, Mankind, and McMahon. Well, in late99-2000, 2 of them left TV, the most popular stable (DX) split up, Mick Foley (mankind) retired, and 2 of the guys we could not picture as babyfaces went babyface: kane and mcmahon.

I know the Rock and others contributed a lot to our definition and memory of the "Attitude" era but I stand by my point that I believe Austin and Mcmahon defined the era with their feud. When I think of the Attitude Era, I don't think of Rock and Triple H's feud (main event status, not midcard) or the Mcmahon-Helmsley Faction; I think of Vince McMahon vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin. Conclusion:

The Attitude Era was March 1998 - July 1999.

Yeah 99/00 was the Helmsley Era with HHH and Stephanie McMahon. Great stories they was invovled in and great matches by HHH at the time. 2001 I would say is the WWE/WCw/ECW Era, were all 3 was apart of one company in the WWE. And like someone said earlier 2002-2005 was the ruthless aggression era. I have no idea what 2006-present is called, and no its not the damn PG Era.

So, in your opinion. When would you say the Attitude era came to an End?

Here is what I think. The main thing that comes to mind during "The Attitude Era" is the monday night wars. Vince buying WCW would be one of my guesses, but I have to say it would be when the WWF and WCW titles were merged into the Undisputed title because that showed that the two federations were now one and shortly changed into WWE. Then in 2002 of course the Post-War Era began and lasted until 2005 at Wrestlemania 21 which is where I consider to be the beginning of whatever the current era is called. So we are definitely looking at before 2002 in our answer. The titles being merged gets my vote because even though Vince owned WCW for a few months before the titles merged, once they got merged it truly felt like the federations were one and the true ending to both the attitude era and the WWF/WCW feud even though Vince already owned both.

The Attitude Era began in early 1998 and ended in late 2001 even as stated by WWE themselves numerous times, look it up. And yes it was getting edgy in 97 but everything needs sparks to get something going so call late 96-97 the pre-attitude & 2002 the fallout of the attitude era or post-attitude if you want, but really, it was from 98-01
all else is lies or ppl's opinions. Wasnt that long, but was the best time in wrestling

The Monday Night Wars started before the Attitude Era and it sparked edginess, once it got going strong the Attitude Era came in in 1998

and no to the person who said the era was 98-99 thats way off. The Mc-Mahon Hemsley Era was just a saying. And really when WWE goes on record of stating it themselves there's no need to get this question asked as repeatedly as it does (trust me I see this one way too much)

Just like I wish we could get off the Rock/Austin threads and other comparisons. It just seems like ppl just have nothing new to say if one person posts a thread saying "What's the best match of 2008" then the next person or same one has to do a new one for 09 and then for whatever reason specifically go back to 1993

{Hurri-pop}: Hey, I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin

The Attitude Era ended in 2001, end of story

U know unlike most Kids here I have been a hard core wrestling fan 4 20 + years so I actually REALLY know when the era started and ended! I will NEVER forget I was watching WRESTLING SUPERSTARS & VINCE McMahon made an announcement on the air th@ "Both RAZOR RAMON and DIESEL had left the WWF and would possibly use the fame th@ they had obtained in our organization possibly in another corporation. Oh well!!" WOW! That @ the time was HUGE! see the WWF had been banking everything on the NEW GENERATION ERA & now they were losing their BIGGEST STARS from th@ ERA! Believe me EVEN NOW THE WWE NEVER SAYS ON AIR WHEN A MAJOR STAR IS RELEASED 4 ANY REASON! Th@s how I knew THEY WERE HURTING! Well as U know Hall & Nash went 2 the WCW & STARTED THE NWO! Wow! Now this where I differ with most of the panel here. They say th@ the era started around KOTR but honestly I say the REAL ERA Started the day after WM XIV! Yeah DX was around before then and they were SILLY but when TRIPLE H took over they became AZZHOLES in a whole new WAY! See back then we didn't have the internet leaks like U guys so seeing X PAC walk out on RAW & rip BISCHOFF, HOGAN and WCW a new AZZ was PRICELESS! Seeing AUSTIN punch Vince in the GRAPEFRUITS as he was AWARDED THE CORPORATE Championship made fans out of people who I PERSONALLY KNOW HATED WRESTLING! That day started the ball rolling FAST! Now when did it end? Easy! The night after WM XIX! Why? Well first of all that was the 1st WWE not WWF WM and secondly that was the night both THE ROCK AND STONE COLD stopped wrestling FULL TIME! Think about it? NO DX, NO ROCK AND NO STONE COLD AND a push of WRESTLING matches such as BROCK vs KURT and Jericho vs Michaels over storylines and shock value! THAT MY FRIEND WAS THE END OF THE ATTITUDE ERA!!!!

I would say the attitue era officially ended the day vince showed up on raw announcing he had bought wcw and shane ''bought'' wcw, wwe had no competition left, although it didnt become boring after that it never reached the heights of the attitude days, i still liked wwe when edge became the rated r superstar and started becoming a main eventer as he reminded me of the type of character that woulod be around in the attitude as a main eventer

For me it ended in 1999, cause to tell you the truth 1999 and 2000 was not as hardcore as 1997 and 1998 was. I mean WWE did not have the gothic/noir look in 1999 and 2000 it had in 1997 and 1998. Also guys like Austin and Taker missed 99 and 00 cause of injury. Then you had the McMahon/Helmsley Era which started in 1999 and ended in 2000.

The Attitude Era began in early 1998 and ended in late 2001 even as stated by WWE themselves numerous times, look it up. And yes it was getting edgy in 97 but everything needs sparks to get something going so call late 96-97 the pre-attitude & 2002 the fallout of the attitude era or post-attitude if you want, but really, it was from 98-01
all else is lies or ppl's opinions. Wasnt that long, but was the best time in wrestling

The Monday Night Wars started before the Attitude Era and it sparked edginess, once it got going strong the Attitude Era came in in 1998

and no to the person who said the era was 98-99 thats way off. The Mc-Mahon Hemsley Era was just a saying. And really when WWE goes on record of stating it themselves there's no need to get this question asked as repeatedly as it does (trust me I see this one way too much)

Just like I wish we could get off the Rock/Austin threads and other comparisons. It just seems like ppl just have nothing new to say if one person posts a thread saying "What's the best match of 2008" then the next person or same one has to do a new one for 09 and then for whatever reason specifically go back to 1993

{Hurri-pop}: Hey, I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin

The Attitude Era ended in 2001, end of story

you keep saying "WWE said it, look it up" but no where to look up or see. the Attitude Era was born in 1996, they went out of the box at that time. it may not have been "Attitude" officially, but it certainly began when Austin planted the seeds and did something that had not been done at that time. when did it end is depends on ur definition of the Attitude Era. was it Austin? then it ended when he left at Mania in 2003. personally, i think it ended at the beginning of 2001, not when Vince bought WCW. my definition of Attitude Era is raunchy, bad attitude, lawlessness out there and it certainly stopped being that before WWE bought WCW. WCW's ratings were horrible to the point WWE didn't need to have Attitude. Austin comes back in 2000 and he's not the same guy once January 2001 comes along. he wins the Rumble then faces the Rock then turns heel. after that, there was no more Attitude. during the InVasion angle, Austin was just a heel, no Attitude. no DX. it faded out at that quickly, not slowly as some may think.

I'm gonna have to chime in here. Now, I won't dispute the fact that the AE started at KotR '96, but I will dispute that Austin's little promo is what started it.

What the majority of people, here and elsewhere, tend to overlook is that there was a much more "Attitude" style promo earlier in the night. A promo cut by a guy so good on the stick, Austin couldn't even carry his proverbial jock strap. Brian Pillman is where I pinpoint the beginning of the Attitude Era, and I'll get into why.

Before Pillman's stellar promo, you never heard somebody on WWE mentioning the rape, pillage and plunder philosophy. And, he did it in a convincing manner, too. He was one of, if not the first, to mention pissing all over the E. He was working the Attitude style in the ring before Austin, and he was the first to blur the lines between kayfabe and reality. Austin started it all, my ass.

As for when it ended, I'd say it came to it's demise when Vince bought out the name, contracts, and video library of WCW. After that, he didn't have to worry about competition, so what was the point?

you keep saying "WWE said it, look it up" but no where to look up or see. the Attitude Era was born in 1996, they went out of the box at that time. it may not have been "Attitude" officially, but it certainly began when Austin planted the seeds and did something that had not been done at that time. when did it end is depends on ur definition of the Attitude Era. was it Austin? then it ended when he left at Mania in 2003. personally, i think it ended at the beginning of 2001, not when Vince bought WCW. my definition of Attitude Era is raunchy, bad attitude, lawlessness out there and it certainly stopped being that before WWE bought WCW. WCW's ratings were horrible to the point WWE didn't need to have Attitude. Austin comes back in 2000 and he's not the same guy once January 2001 comes along. he wins the Rumble then faces the Rock then turns heel. after that, there was no more Attitude. during the InVasion angle, Austin was just a heel, no Attitude. no DX. it faded out at that quickly, not slowly as some may think.

if we're going to talk about when the attitude era began and the little seeds planted before the term attitude was ever used, then we are completely forgetting the main people behind the attitude era, the klique!!! shawn micheals and diesel where cursing and showing middle fingers and powerbombing through tables and cutting major tough promos before austin even dropped the the ringmaster gimmick. If it wasn't for micheals and the klique doing what they did the wwe never even would have given the greenlight to austin and his new gimmick.

That Era DID NOT in any way start in 96 at all, That's just wrong, it wasnt that long at all. Like the person above me stated, there are little seeds that needed to be planted (those were the years of 1996 & 97) They were NOT at all, no matter what the events, the Attitude Era. Austin cutting that 3:16 promo wasnt it, nor was any other event in those two years what started it) These were seeding years.

It also doesnt matter if it wasnt hardcore or edgy enough for some of you, your opinion isnt fact as WWE stated and just because you may have liked a certain year of Attitude better doesnt mean it ended early especially not as early as 99. That's crazy. And again The Mc-Mahon Hemsley Era wasnt like The Attitude Era being that it wasnt a real Era it was just a saying. If there were actual Eras based on stars alone we'd have a new one every damn month and it doesnt work like that. The Austin Era, The Rock Era, The Cena Era, The Orton Era no no and No. It's The Attitude Era and that's all it was from 98-01

Why do ppl keep insisting it's after Vince bout WCW? That was The Monday Night Wars, not The Attitude Era. The Monday Night Wars ended at that moment. It doesnt mean WWE went oh well WCW is gone stop the Attitude. AND it has nothing to do with when they stopped using the WWF logo from that time nor is it when WWE changed from WWF to WWE

(and for the ppl who act as though it's a different company now because of a damn name change it's NOT. Why do ppl have to act like that? It's the same damn company. WWE had to change their name we all know why, but when you saw WWE it still refers to when it was called WWF it's not two seperate companies. And I dont give a damn if you wanna say that JUST because you dont like the current product that it's a different company, stop being stupid for once.. if Burger King changed it's name to Burger Queen it would still be the same damn company. WWE never stopped all history at that point and said since they are now WWE they are starting history for WWE from that point on. This should be obvious but ppl keep making that mistake)

And really yeah WWE did some things that you'd see in the Attitude Era, but think about it, like I said before they arent gonna just stop doing certain things because competition died and they didnt, but the Era died in 2001.

Seriously, AGAIN.. the WWE has stated it THEMSELVES, not opinion, FACT. The Attitude Era began in 1998 and ended in 2001!

It was stated in an issue of WWE Magazine, on WWE DVDs too and I believe also on their site at one point if not now still somewhere (old stuff on that site is hard to find, but it's there still)
I'm gonna go through my big collection of WWE magazines and I'm determined to find it and when I do I will surely tell everyone what issue it was so this can end. The WWE stated it officially several times.

Just done get it confused either, The Monday Night Wars wasnt The Attitude Era, it triggered The Attitude Era. I'm pretty sure it was March 1998, but for the exact end date month in 2001 I'm not gonna speak on that until I -Look At What WWE Wrote Themselves- in WWE Magazine

Stay tuned, I'll reveal the exact dates and the Issue of WWE Magazine it's in

[To GENIUS-DEADMAN- The Era did infact end before The InVasion angle, THAT is correct. And you said it yourself, though it may not have been called Attitude there were things that happened in 96 & 97 that you'd see in that Era, but remember it didnt just start. There were several events that happened before it started but it did start in 98- and I have stated where to find it in this post, trust me I'm going to find that issue of WWE Magazine to put an end to this]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back