When all is said and done - Sting's place in history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slyfox696

Excellence of Execution
He's a 12 time World champion. He's a wrestling icon. He's main-evented for twenty years in different promotions. He was the hottest thing in wrestling in 1997, despite not even saying a word. He's commonly known as the greatest wrestler to never work for Vince McMahon.

When Sting finally hangs up the boots for good, where will he stand in wrestling history? Will wrestling fans look back and consider him the greatest ever? Will he be the record holder of World titles? Will people see him as a "great", but not a "legend"? Will he share the stage with guys like Hulk Hogan and Steve Austin, or just below them with guys like Bret Hart and Ric Flair?

When all is said and done, where will Sting rank in wrestling history?

To most wrestling fans, he will be placed in history behind Hogan, Austin, and Flair but I would put him 2nd behind Hogan. He has been a main-eventer for nearly twenty years and had some of the most memorable feuds and matches with Flair, Luger, and Hogan. He was over using two completely different gimmicks which is hard to do and had great charisma and was always constant in the ring.

His time in TNA could help or hinder his history. Most of the younger fans only know his time in TNA and may view him as a guy who is past his prime. However, he is undefeated at Bound For Glory and I believe he is one of the top five over there behind Jarrett, Styles, and maybe Angle. He was and will be one of my favorites and he will be remembered as a true icon.

Good question, you see. I've always felt that Sting is in the same class as Hogan, and Austin. It may not seem like it, but Sting ALWAYS carried WCW. Even when he didnt talk or wrestle for a year. People came to see HIM. Never knowing when he was going to show up kept everyone in suspense, and even before the character transformation he was the one people came to see. Sting should be remembered as an all time great, right behind Hogan and Austin. Yes, he even surpasses Ric Flair.

Sting is one of the most respected guys in the history of the business. Whether you like him or not, he's always done his best. Even through the dismal years of WCW, Sting was the flag bearer of the company and ultimately never really gave up on it. Sting was loyal to WCW similar in how the Undertaker is loyal to the WWE.

Sting's accomplishments speak for themselves, 12 world titles is certainly nothing to sneeze at. Sting's always been pretty good on the mic and is pretty charismatic. Do I think he ranks up there with the likes of Hogan and Flair? Overall, I have to say probably not. Sting wasn't nearly the draw Hogan was nor was he as good an overall in-ring performer as Ric Flair. Sting was a better athlete and overall worker than Hogan any day of the week, but what can I say. Hogan was in the right place, right time, right gimmick, Vince marketed him exactly right, etc.

Sting is easily the most successful wrestler to have never worked for Vince McMahon and I think that's a good thing. Vince has a history of misusing wrestlers that have made names for themselves without him and I doubt Sting would've been an exception. If Sting had ever gone to the WWE, I think his overall legacy would've been tarnished.

Sting is over in TNA but time is catching up with him and it's starting to show both in just physical appearance and in the ring. I believe that, within the next few years, Sting should hang it up for good or he runs a risk of just being another old guy that can't let go.

Overall, I'd probably put him in the top 10.

When it's said and done, Sting will go down as the greatest superstar to never step foot in the WWE. Coming up Sting was so huge and cool. He was WCW's Hogan & AJ Styles. Everything about Sting was great. If Vince McMahon was the genius behind the Sting character and had the machine behind Sting, there would be no doubt in my mind that Sting would have probably had the same if not more impact on prowrestling than Hogan.

But him not going to the WWE is a path that many will follow that I'm proud of. He is among one of the first to pave that way for many wrestlers in America that feel the WWE is the all and be all of wrestling and I'm proud of Sting for that. This man has been able to establish his name & his legacy without the WWE and I'm sure it's killing Vince inside that wrestlers in the U.S can become so established to the wrestling world without him. I hope and expect people like AJ, Joe, Abyss, and some ROH guys continue to follow the Sting path and continue to prove to up and coming wrestlers who want their dreams to come true that their are other avenues to become a star besides running to Vince McMahon.

Jack-Hammer said:
nor was he as good an overall in-ring performer as Ric Flair.

Lol at Ric Flair being considered good as inring performer. Sting was and is miles ahead of Flair when it comes to inring performance. I hate when people act like Flair was some inring god. Flair is nothing more than another guy whose charisma mostly carried him to the top. Flair is nothing more than a 1 dimensional wrestler. I thought I'd get this off my chest before I move on. Respond if you want.

First off, onto the topic. Sting: the greatest wrestler to never be in the WWE, as many have said. He's the forerunner to Styles, Joe, Abyss, etc. He was the guy that I feel that could've had a great run in the WWE but he chose not to, and look at him. He's over in TNA, and who knows what would've happened if he didn't go there and wound up under Vince's old vice-grip.

Lol at Ric Flair being considered good as inring performer. Sting was and is miles ahead of Flair when it comes to inring performance. I hate when people act like Flair was some inring god. Flair is nothing more than another guy whose charisma mostly carried him to the top. Flair is nothing more than a 1 dimensional wrestler. I thought I'd get this off my chest before I move on. Respond if you want.

Sidenote: Charisma alone doesn't get you 16 title runs. Besides back then, the gimmicks were 1 dimensional...cept for Flair. He could work a hell of a match, and he still can. Which proves true that he is "better than 90% of the WWE roster" which begs the question: what the crikey fuck are they teaching in FCW?

sidenote done.

Steven said:
Sidenote: Charisma alone doesn't get you 16 title runs. Besides back then, the gimmicks were 1 dimensional...cept for Flair. He could work a hell of a match, and he still can. Which proves true that he is "better than 90% of the WWE roster" which begs the question: what the crikey fuck are they teaching in FCW?

sidenote done.

Without a doubt, Ric Flair can work. There's no question about him getting the job done in the ring but that doesn't necessarily mean he's a great inring performer. LOL at 16 runs. Getting 16 title runs when you are the WCW booker is not that big of an accomplishment imo.

He'll be that guy who never worked for Vince McMahon. Nothing more. Look at what WWE did for Ric Flair and think about where his legacy would've been if he hadn't returned in 2002. That's what will happen with Sting.

He'll be that guy who never worked for Vince McMahon. Nothing more. Look at what WWE did for Ric Flair and think about where his legacy would've been if he hadn't returned in 2002. That's what will happen with Sting.

I am sorry but how old are you? Do you have any idea behind Sting's actual legacy inside the world of wrestling? He is a man who has stayed true to one company until they went bankrupt and was bought out by their competition. In WCW Sting set a standard in 97 with probably the biggest feud of that year in wrestling with Hogan. He was a man who carried a company on his shoulders when the company was failing and even when the company was succeeding. A lot of people say in the late years of WCW that the company was on the shoulders of GOLDBERG but how wrong they are.

Oh and in case you didn't realize technically Sting did work for VKM for one night and one night only. That was one the final WCW NITRO ever!

Sting has a legacy much like that of The Undertaker but not as publicized due to him never appearing in WWE programming. Sting made that choice to not work for the WWE but he still has cemented a legacy in the world of professional wrestling.

Without a doubt, Ric Flair can work. There's no question about him getting the job done in the ring but that doesn't necessarily mean he's a great inring performer. LOL at 16 runs. Getting 16 title runs when you are the WCW booker is not that big of an accomplishment imo.

Where in the world does your logic come from? I know, in another thread, you accused me of not knowing the history of TNA or what I was talking about, so I really have to wonder if you know the history you’re implying or anything about what you’re talking about, because from your posts here you don’t.

Ric Flair wasn’t a good in ring performer? What in the world is a good in ring performer to you? Better yet, Ric Flair helped develop and mold Sting into the wrestler he became, Sting will admit that himself and always HAS, so if you view Sting as a good in ring performer how can you possibly not view Ric Flair as one since Sting learned from Flair? That’s a contradiction and a complete oxymoron.

And where do you get your facts about Ric Flair booking himself to win 16 titles? Obviously not from actual history. Flair wasn’t booker during anywhere close to all of his 16 championship reigns. Next you’ll be saying Flair was the booker during his championship reign in the WWF.

As for the topic:

Sting has a strong legacy and he’s certainly a legend, he has his strong points, but he isn’t a huge draw, he isn’t one of the best in ring performers, and he’ll never be viewed as a legend in the same light as legends like Hogan, Austin, Flair, Shawn Michaels or even Bret Hart. It will have a lot to do with whose telling the history, and obviously the WWE is the biggest voice promoting the history of wrestling and its legends, which is a major factor. Sting will still be remembered as a legend during his era though, no question. But he won't be anywhere near the top five, nor should he be in my mind.

Sting has a strong legacy and he’s certainly a legend, he has his strong points, but he isn’t a huge draw, he isn’t one of the best in ring performers, and he’ll never be viewed as a legend in the same light as legends like Hogan, Austin, Flair, Shawn Michaels or even Bret Hart. It will have a lot to do with whose telling the history, and obviously the WWE is the biggest voice promoting the history of wrestling and its legends, which is a major factor. Sting will still be remembered as a legend during his era though, no question. But he won't be anywhere near the top five, nor should he be in my mind.

What I find entertaining with what you stated is that Sting will never be viewed the in the same light as Hogan, Austin, Flair, Michaels & Hart. The reason I find this entertaining is because during WCW's reign in the ratings war who was the one man that VKM wished he could have taken from WCW? The answer is STING. Vince has been quoted previously about wanting STING because he knew how big a draw STING is in both name and talent. Sting at one stage even considered going to WWF as it was at the time.

Sting had said the main reason he would go was because he was dedicated to the company he was working with and he also knew that all VKM would have basically done is bury him and his legacy in the sea of WWF whitewash talents. Yes at the time stars like Austin, Rock & Michaels were beginning to bloom and taking their places upon the world stage. But Sting was still helping WCW on the frontline of the ratings war.

Before Sting joined TNA, VKM was considering trying to sign Sting. Hell Vince has even been considering doing a STING DVD because he knows the legacy behind this man. If Sting was not worth his time VKM would just let it fall by the waste side and not even consider doing a DVD of a star who has never set foot inside the doors of his own company.

Sting will go down in history as one of the best of his generation, if not all time. Sting is probably the most popular wrestler to never have worked for WWE. He has wrestled in some of the biggest matches in WCW's history. He will for sure go down as one of the greats, as far as being on Hogan and Austin's level, eeek thats tough to decide but I would probably put him just below Austin and Hogan's level. After he retires he WILL be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame but it won't be until probably 5 years at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back