• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What's the problem with catchphrases?

HBK-aholic

Shawn Michaels ❤
Now, I'm sure most fans on here don't have a problem with a wrestler having a specific catchphrase, but there are those who seem to complain a wrestler is "Doing the same things" if they do something like this. It's not as prevalent on this forum as another I've seen, but there are a few posters who dislike some wrestlers, Cena and DX to name a few, because they do the same things. I have to assume they mean DX's catchphrases such as "Let's get read to suck it.." etc. because in general, what they say and do changes for different promos, apart from the few obvious phrases they use.

This has happened for years - The Rock had countless phrases that made the crowd mark out huge. With Hogan and Austin, they also has 'moves' they'd do, such as Hogan with his hand on his ear at the crowd, or Austin drinking beer and sticking his middle finger up at the crowd. I rarely see complaints about these 2 doing the same things all the time, so why with the earlier mentioned wrestlers? Why can wrestlers suddenly not have a 'gimmick'?

Excellent query, it is something I have wondered too. DX are old news and dull, but people want the new age outlaws back to make them more interesting? And Hulk Hogan took a beatdwon all match and wins with three punches, a big boot and a leg drop which is acceptable, Cena doing five moves to win after taking his beatdown isn't acceptable.

To me, it is simply people growing up. When you were young, DX saying suck it was cool and you said it to everyone at school. You believed wrestling more so Hogan/Austin/Rock beating the bad guy when it looked like they would lose is exciting. Then people grow up and now the faces, who aren't aimed at them, aren't their particular cup of tea and they grow disullusioned with it.

However, kids just like they were however many years ago are now finding the same material funny/exciting. To me wrestling always has to be viewed with a certain level of immaturity. Those who watch it too seriously will always find faults with the cheesy comedy/unrealistic content.

I can only assume Becca, that when you say that you have seen some posters that have a problem with wrestlers doing the same things, that you are referring to posters like me and my problems with Cena. Am I right?

To the point, however, I have never said that I have a problem with Cena's catch phrases or his poses/signs that he might throw up. I think that wrestler's should have catch phrases. Let's be honest. If The Rock never had if you smell what The Rock is cooking, Know your role and shut your mouth, rudy poo candy ass, layeth the smackdown, go down know your role BLVD hang that right at jabroni drive and check into the SD hotel, it doesn't matter what your name is, blue hell, the Rock says, and the Rock means, and on and on, he wouldn't have been anything special. So I think that a good catch phrase can elevate a good wrestler to the next level. Plus, they are fun as hell to listen to, especially as a kid.

Catch phrases rock!

Great forum, I think catchphrases are capable of making a superstar who he is. Just for example Dolph Ziggler, not the greatest catchphrase but all he really said was "Hi, I'm dolph Zigger" look where he is now. When it comes to DX and such we dislike the phrases because we don't like seeing the new DX and mainthing being new and when they start to go back to the old its not fun anymore because these two are not young anymore, they are married men with kids, and as for Cena in a position of a kid his phrases must be the best thing they ever heard, but for us grown ups we can see they he's not the greatest wrestler and there is better performers out there to get behind. Any new wrestler can debut and with the right charisma and phrases they can skyrocket, lets just hope they can wrestle aswell.

"even if the phrase is in the music, oooooooooooooooooh what a rushhhh"

This is my first post so I'm having a mild rant. I'm not a regular viewer anymore but isn't that the problem with wrestlers these days, they can't talk and they have no characters. The Hardys can't talk, Orton can't talk but improving, Batista can't talk, Rey can't talk, Samoa Joe can't talk, AJ can't. All they do on TNA is shoot. What is Batista's character? I'm the Animal and I point my thumbs down. Bobby Lashley (The Black Batista), the most over rated wrestler of all time, I hate him. At least Cena has a character, he had the white rapper thing then he evolved to the Army boy. At least he can talk and has something going on. What happened to John Morrison, he carried Miz (not awesome, horrible) for months went babyface and now has no character, he just does that 1 arm thing like Cody Rhodes. Speaking of which, doesn't he suck. Edge is cool, so is Christian but he needs to go to Raw or Smackdown. Matt Hardy is now fat, what happened? CM Punk is ok, I like the heel turn. He should keep going with the righteous thing. Kofi Kingston is horrible, worse than The Miz. He's clearly not Jamaican and his name is not Kingston, how racist is that. He prob can't talk either, I've never heard him to be honest as I doubt they let him do promo's cos he can't get the accent right. Cryme Tyme are a stereotype but at least they have a character and some charisma, give them the belts. Carlito is poor but his brother is worse, sack him, actually sack them both they wouldn't last in TNA either. Shelton Benjamin is a great athlete but again can't talk and has no character. Tell him to shit or get off the pot, time to step up. Dolph Ziggler has the look but no charisma. All the women are horrible. Samoa Joe is fat and rubbish. Kurt Angle is still half decent on the mic, but TNA is just ROH dressed up, too much shooting going on. Abyss used to be cool until he went babyface, why did they sack his manager guy? Kane has sucked since he lost the mask, we knew it was coming once he went to the vest, what about the burns?

Anyway, HBK and HHH are still great, I can't hate. Bret screwed Bret, Undertaker is great also, when he's healthy. Sting needs to leave TNA, have a match with HBK or Taker, get in the HOF and retire.

I'll prob never post again so peace to you all.

great thread...which by the way, will be my first post...

I remember "that's the bottom line...because stone cold said so"...the rock, ando so much more....now I don't hear any more catchphrases, except for the miz (if that thing of " I'm awesome" could be called a catchphrase), or chris jericho saying "hypocrites". It would help a lot, because is obvious that the crowd doesn't react the same way than a few years ago....

I really dont know why people are complaing about catchphrases. The catchphrases are simply used for us the fans to remember a certain wrestler and they bring attention and interactions to a promo. For example, when the miz uses his "Im the miz, and im awsome," it will make the crowd actually interact with the show by saying his catch phrases and provides somewhat of entertainment to the live audience.

Now think of Carlito. Im sure most people dont really care for him that much anymore because he is pretty boring because he does not get mic time to showcase himself (this is the reason why Miz is actually progressing, he gets mic time). But most people will always remember Carlito because of this "I spit in the face of people who dont want to be cool."

I think you hit the nail on the head regarding interaction, Tyler. When the Rock cut a promo, the entire audience was enthralled because they had a vital role in the promo. The audience always knew exactly what to say when the Rock said, "In front of the millions (insert crowd line) of the Rock's fans" or when he asked what your name was. Because the crowd KNEW they had to interact, they HAD to pay attention. That's how you get the crowd in your hand.

My only current problem with catchphrases is they jut get spewed out without purpose. Am I the only one bothered that when DX does its schtik, "Let's get ready to suck it!" is immediately followed by "And if you're not down with that we have two words for you...suck it! Makes no sense to me.

It's one more thing for people to complain about. If they aren't whining about Cena doing what every other main event star does and use only 5 or 6 moves to end a match, then they're complaining that Cena always yelling "The champ is here!" or DX always yelling "Suck it!"

That's why you don't see people whining about the Rock or Stone Cold's catchphrases. Everyone here liked Stone Cold and the Rock. Why would they complain about a wrestler they adored when they were in school?

I don't know if it counts as a catch phrase, but something that is blurted out week after week after week after week AND makes me almost cringe week after week after week after week is the infamous....

"You are watching the longest running weekly episodic television show in history."
-Michael Cole

:banghead:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back