• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What happened to signature taunts and catchphrases?

No it could not really, Triple H's "Cause I'm that damn good" has never been one of his notable catchphrases, a lot of people wouldn't know that as his catchphrase, but still it is something the crowd could say along with him, no one would ever say that a long with CM Punk. None of the ones you mentioned are like Stone Colds "and thats the bottom line coz stone cold said so", that was much much more of a signature catch phrase

I'll be damned if you're telling me I couldn't possibly say alongside CM Punk "I'm straight edge and I'm better than you", I could say that alongside him rather easily to be fair.

And I'm guessing the reason you consider it impossible for the crowd to go along with, would be due to the length of the sentence, but another popular longer sentence would be considered a catchphrase, the D-Generation X way of ending their promos "Are you ready x 2 - Then, for the thousands in attendance, for the millions watching at home, let's get ready to... suck it!" catchphrase, and crowd can easily follow along on the whole thing as well, even though they choose to only follow the "Suck it" part, but that doesn't limit the catchphrase to just "Suck it" cause the crowd's lazy.

While I do agree many might not know it's one of Triple H's catchphrases, no matter what, it still is, it's something he says rather regularly when he's a heel, and therefore would for the majority of times count as a catchphrase.

On the other hand, something that would go under your consideration of not being a catchphrase, while used sometimes during promos, would have to be John Cena's "Cause I never learned to read" thing, he's used that like.. 4-5 times I believe (Could be less, I'm not completely certain), and Triple H's "Cause I'm that damn good" has been used so much more that it could easily qualify as a catchphrase.

lets be honest, the new talent, most have catchphrases, but no taunts...they're all dead..kofi's is the best, you've got mvp with ballin', them i enjoy from new talents, you've got cena salute, a lot from taker, kane, hhh, surprisingly non from jericho, thats all from top of my head..i no there are more, but im a bit sleepy...so anyway, wwe,when they get new talent, they need to assign them with, signature moves, finishers, taunts and cathphrases...

Nothing happened to them. They're still there.

Taunts:
  • Undertaker's throat slash, raising his arms into the air, bowing down to the mat
  • Triple H's arm stretch pose, DX crotch chops and "X" symbol with arms
  • Kane's making the ring posts go on fire
  • Shawn Michaels' HBK pose, kneeling down at the ramp, DX crotch chops and "X" symbol with arms
  • Big Show's raising his arm into the air
  • John Cena's three fingers (HLR), You Can't See Me, Marine salute
  • Rey Mysterio's punching into the air and sign of the cross/double peace sign
  • Randy Orton's signature pose and pounding the mat with his fists
  • Batista's shaking the ring ropes and thumbs down
  • Edge's calling for the Spear and rocker pose
  • Christian's looking out at the arena, slapping his chest and pointing to the crowd
  • MVP's entrance taunt and BALLIN'~!
  • Kofi Kingston's BOOM BOOM BOOM
  • Evan Bourne's peace sign
  • Jack Swagger's chest beating and push ups (although he doesn't do them anymore)

Catchphrases:
  • REST...IN...PEACE
  • You want some, come get some
  • You can't see me
  • SPEAR SPEAR SPEAR SPEAR SPEAR
  • I am the best in the world at what I do
  • You're all liars, hypocrites, parasites, gelatinous tapeworms, etc.
  • Straight edge can save you
  • I'M THE MIZ... AND I'M AWESOME~!

Yeah, I don't really see how they've disappeared at all. Some people don't need taunts or catchphrases either.

My god how many times do I have to say it? Do you not know how to read or something? I SAID IT IS THE NEW TALENT THESE DAYS WHICH ARE BEING CREATED!!!!!NOT THE ALREADY ESTABLISHED STARS OR THE ONES WHICH CAME IN 4+ YEARS AGO!!!! Read it properly, seriously, I can't believe how many times I have to say this, it is made perfectly clear at the start that I am referring to the young guys.

Undertaker, Triple H, Kane, HBK, Big Show, Cena, Mysterio, Orton, Batista, Christian and MVP DO NOT QUALIFY FOR THIS TOPIC. Are they new stars? No. Were they created within the past 2/3 years? No. Therefore, they are not who I am talking about in this topic.

Jack Swagger as you said doesn't do the beat chest or push ups anymore, in other words, he doesn't have a taunt, like I said. Evan Bourne's peace sign isn't a taunt, its one of those things talent do when they don't have a unique taunt of their own, just like raising their arms.

Anyway, how many of the people you mentioned on that list are even part of the people I was talking about? TWO, out of 15.

I'll be damned if you're telling me I couldn't possibly say alongside CM Punk "I'm straight edge and I'm better than you", I could say that alongside him rather easily to be fair.

And I'm guessing the reason you consider it impossible for the crowd to go along with, would be due to the length of the sentence, but another popular longer sentence would be considered a catchphrase, the D-Generation X way of ending their promos "Are you ready x 2 - Then, for the thousands in attendance, for the millions watching at home, let's get ready to... suck it!" catchphrase, and crowd can easily follow along on the whole thing as well, even though they choose to only follow the "Suck it" part, but that doesn't limit the catchphrase to just "Suck it" cause the crowd's lazy.

While I do agree many might not know it's one of Triple H's catchphrases, no matter what, it still is, it's something he says rather regularly when he's a heel, and therefore would for the majority of times count as a catchphrase.

No you can't say it with him really, its not the type of thing you do say with them. Like you said, it's a long sentence, usually the ones which the audience says are shorter than that. DX's catchphrase was basically part of their entrance, it and it wasn't a knock against the crowd - of course people would say it with them, unlike CM Punks "catchphrase" which is part of his heel gimmick and therefore is meant to be a knock against the crowd, so why would they say it with him? Answer is, they wouldn't (not because they are lazy)

Yeah, HHH does say it regularly but unlike CM Punks, it is NOT a knock against the crowd, it is about himself, so the audience could easily say it with him. The point is most new talent these days don't have signature taunts & catchphrases like they used to. We are obviously never going to agree on CM Punks "catchphrase" though.

lets be honest, the new talent, most have catchphrases, but no taunts...they're all dead..kofi's is the best, you've got mvp with ballin', them i enjoy from new talents, you've got cena salute, a lot from taker, kane, hhh, surprisingly non from jericho, thats all from top of my head..i no there are more, but im a bit sleepy...so anyway, wwe,when they get new talent, they need to assign them with, signature moves, finishers, taunts and cathphrases...

Most don't have catchphrases. And if you read back, I noted Kofi at the beginning of this topic, I said most other NEW TALENTS don't have taunts or catchphrase. So, Cena, Taker, Kane, HHH, Jericho as you mentioned are not part of who I am talking about. I said those guys all have their signature taunts and catchphrase, yet not many new guys these days get them like they used to.

No you can't say it with him really, its not the type of thing you do say with them. Like you said, it's a long sentence, usually the ones which the audience says are shorter than that. DX's catchphrase was basically part of their entrance, it and it wasn't a knock against the crowd - of course people would say it with them, unlike CM Punks "catchphrase" which is part of his heel gimmick and therefore is meant to be a knock against the crowd, so why would they say it with him? Answer is, they wouldn't (not because they are lazy)

I'm pretty certain the crowd will be with him part of the way if CM Punk encounters a RAW guest host the likes of Ben Roethlisberger, who turned the crowd to the whole "I'm awful" which just like all the other, a statement which is a catchphrase, and the crowd could easily be all like "and I'm worse than you" or however WWE and the guest hosts will manage to turn it against him, I just don't see the inability to be chanting alongside CM Punk.
Besides CM Punk could probably even have the crowd with him with the whole pledge of allegiance thing.

And I said the crowd is too lazy to be with D-Generation X all the way with their catchphrase, not CM punk.

Yeah, HHH does say it regularly but unlike CM Punks, it is NOT a knock against the crowd, it is about himself, so the audience could easily say it with him. The point is most new talent these days don't have signature taunts & catchphrases like they used to. We are obviously never going to agree on CM Punks "catchphrase" though.

I'll give you this though, it's not a knock against the crowd, but it's plain cockiness, and people aren't with Chris Jericho on "I'm the best in the world at what I do" which isn't a knock at anybody neither, except for the wrestlers, which is the exact same thing that Triple H's heel catchphrase is, because he's basically telling the wrestlers, just like Chris Jericho that he's in a class of his own where they can't touch him.

Behind them? There is PLENTY behind them! Their taunts and catchphrases are a part of their character, when the audience sees Undertaker do the cuthroat taunt, they stand up and cheer, when Shawn did his jump up thing, the crowd got exited, when Cena does the hand thing, the crowd chants "you cant see me".

I mis-repped you, a mistake. I usually dont talk rep, but there ya' have it.

I agree with the main idea you have here, this however was just a recap of what I just said. I had all three of those guys listed. Behind them, refers to "other than".

And most of what I've seen aren't really catchphrases. Santino mis-pronouncing names is part of a gimmick, not a catchphrase. Carlito saying "cool" rarely stands out, and he gets very little air time. Besides Kofi, Miz, and Jericho, there really are no true catchphrases from superstars people care about. Zack Ryder, "Woo woo woo".. really?

A catchphrase should repeated nearly every time someone is on the mic. This isn't hating on the 'E, its just apparent that the tides have turned.

My god how many times do I have to say it? Do you not know how to read or something? I SAID IT IS THE NEW TALENT THESE DAYS WHICH ARE BEING CREATED!!!!!NOT THE ALREADY ESTABLISHED STARS OR THE ONES WHICH CAME IN 4+ YEARS AGO!!!! Read it properly, seriously, I can't believe how many times I have to say this, it is made perfectly clear at the start that I am referring to the young guys.

Undertaker, Triple H, Kane, HBK, Big Show, Cena, Mysterio, Orton, Batista, Christian and MVP DO NOT QUALIFY FOR THIS TOPIC. Are they new stars? No. Were they created within the past 2/3 years? No. Therefore, they are not who I am talking about in this topic.

Jack Swagger as you said doesn't do the beat chest or push ups anymore, in other words, he doesn't have a taunt, like I said. Evan Bourne's peace sign isn't a taunt, its one of those things talent do when they don't have a unique taunt of their own, just like raising their arms.

Anyway, how many of the people you mentioned on that list are even part of the people I was talking about? TWO, out of 15.

Most don't have catchphrases. And if you read back, I noted Kofi at the beginning of this topic, I said most other NEW TALENTS don't have taunts or catchphrase. So, Cena, Taker, Kane, HHH, Jericho as you mentioned are not part of who I am talking about. I said those guys all have their signature taunts and catchphrase, yet not many new guys these days get them like they used to.

So, basically...

On a DISCUSSION FORUM you go into nerd-rage mode when people don't discuss things EXACTLY as you stated them.

You state that the new guys doesn't have catchphrases or taunts, but when you are confronted by several people pointing out that they DO, in fact, have both taunts and catchphrases, then they're not actually catchphrases or taunts IN YOUR OPINION?

So we have to first agree to your arbitrary definition of what a catchphrase or taunt is before we are allowed to discuss it with you, on your premises?

You'd probably be much happier talking to yourself in a mirror. That way, no one in the room will disagree with you.

Now, with that said, the new guys do have catchphrases and taunts, they're just not (as) over (as the bigger stars') yet.

Miz has his arms-out taunt and his "AWESOME!" catchphrase, along with "Really?". Morrison has his arm-twitch-thing. MVP has ballin' and the posing associated with it. Swagger has his chest-beating and the "All-American American" line, which is a catchphrase whether you want it to be or not. Santino has his trombone marching-shtick. Most of the NXT guys have taunts and/or catchphrases.

Just because they're not over yet, doesn't mean they don't exist. And saying that people can't post about older stars' taunts and phrases is downright stupid, as the point of those posts would be that not EVERYONE will have a catchphrase or taunt. When EVERYONE has a taunt or catchphrase, it's not special anymore.

But seriously, take a chillpill and try discussing the subject, instead of repeatedly stating your opinion at the top of your lungs. That's not debate or discussion, that's just being obnoxious.

Nothing happend to the catchphrases and the Signature taunts.

R-Truth still has his catchphrases here and there, John Morrison has his hand in the air pose before doing the standing shooting star press, and Kofi Kingston has his boom boom boom thing.

That's just part of it, the majority of the main eventers still have their mannerisms in catchphrases or taunts (all depending on whether they need / should have a catchphrase, seeing as Randy don't have a catchphrase, don't need one, but has a signature taunt and vice versa)

What I'm trying to say is that there's absolutely nothing wrong with the current catchphrases or signature taunts, they're there, and they're used on a regular basic, so really.

And about the music, no it's not the same, unless you count the god awful NXT theme song that all the rookies are using now, but in the end, while it's drawing from the majority of the same genre, rock, alternative rock / alternative metal, hell Triple H being heavy metal, it doesn't matter what genre it's from really.

But in the end, there's absolutely nothing wrong with anything in those directions.

Is there a catchphrase going around today that you could slap on a T-Shirt and sell a million of them? No

The music, my god, the music has been awful for a long time now. Up until about 2002, every theme sounded unique and as soon as it hit, you knew who it was, even if they were a jobber. Now every theme is a generic guitar rift/drums sort of thing. Whenever I hear themes of Sheamus, McIntyre, Swagger and any diva, I don't immediately know who it is.

In ring style, mannerisms, themes and catchphrases are all generic and boiled in the same pot.

Is there a catchphrase going around today that you could slap on a T-Shirt and sell a million of them? No

Correction: Yes

Boom Boom Boom can easily be put onto a T-shirt, "I'm better than you, because I'm straight-edge" can be put on a t-shirt, shall I continue?

The music, my god, the music has been awful for a long time now. Up until about 2002, every theme sounded unique and as soon as it hit, you knew who it was, even if they were a jobber. Now every theme is a generic guitar rift/drums sort of thing. Whenever I hear themes of Sheamus, McIntyre, Swagger and any diva, I don't immediately know who it is.

I have to admit I'm surprised that you don't, because they're not that alike that it's remotely hard to point out "That's Drew McIntyre" or "That's Jack Swagger" it's actually not so hard if you bother to sit back and learn their theme songs.

In ring style, mannerisms, themes and catchphrases are all generic and boiled in the same pot.

In ring style?, Mannerism?, Themes?, CATCHPHRASES?! the same!? you've got to be kidding me, how in the world is those things the same? you're going to tell me that Rey Mysterio, CM Punk, The Miz, Big Show, John Cena, Edge, Chris Jericho, holy hell the list goes on, are not in different styles? yes certainly there's moves that are very much a like, but in the end every style has it's own unique feeling to it, and if you're going to tell me I'm wrong, I would love to see actual proof.
And I've already addressed the themes, the catchphrases and the mannerisms on the other hand, are you going to tell me there's not a difference between John Cena's "come get some" and The Miz's "I'm awesome"? cause like I said, I would love to see you cough up with a convincing explanation to how they are alike.
And the mannerisms are very much different as well, Chris Jericho is very unique in his mannerisms of screaming an slapping for example, Edge has his differences as well, Christian too, I'm surprised you see them very alike...

Sorry if someone mentioned this, I just didn't want to read four pages of people saying catch phrases. Anyways...

Yes newer superstars don't have catchphrases and the reason why is because they are still building there character. Austin didn't come into the WWE saying Hell Yeah, That's the Bottom line Cause Stone Cold Said So, What!, Austin 3:16 says I just whooped your ass, etc. etc. on the first day. These newer guys once something they say catches on...see that catches on, it becomes their catchphrase.

I do agree, I forgot who said it sorry, but in today's wrestling the superstars don't have as much freedom as they did before. The writers are making up most of this and the newer guys are being force fed what to say and do. They really need to allow the wrestlers to have more freedom with their character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back