• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What's The Most Epic Thing You've Ever Witnessed In Sports?

PlayTheGame

The Cerebral Assassin
And by that I mean, you saw it happen live, whether it be on TV or in person.

I'd say the most epic sports-related thing I've seen is Michael Phelps winning his 8 gold medals at the 2008 Olympics. Arguably one of the most epic sports-related moments of our generation, Phelps broke the all-time record for most gold medals won at a single Olympics, an amazing feat. He went up against the best in the world, and won 8/8 times (some in very, very dramatic fashion). It truly was a jarring accomplishment, something I don't see being matched anytime soon, if ever, making it an epic sports moment. It being accomplished on the grand stage of the Olympics against the best swimmers in the world made it all the more impressive.

What's the most epic sports-related moment that you've ever witnessed?

Seeing all 8 of Phelps's wins was pretty cool. Although, to be entirely honest, I've kind of forgotten all but the one where his goggles got filled with water and the last one. But still pretty cool.

The Cavaliers winning the Eastern Conference Finals in 2007 was also really cool for me. The coolest Cleveland-related sports thing to go down for me that I was old enough to appreciate. Unfortunately was too young to truly appreciate the 1990's Indians.

I also got to see Mike Trout debut this year in person, which might be something I get to tell people about 30 years from now when he's in the Hall of Fame.

Wimbledon mens' final in 2009 between Federer and Roddick. It was Federer's 15th Slam which allowed him to move pass Pete Sampras to be the man with the most grand slam titles.

The last set make for thrilling stuff. At the end Federer was upping the pressure trying to make history and Roddick wanting to fight history and refused to yield. It reached an amazing 30 games as both men refuse to go down without a fight.

Nadal's final with Federer earlier might be more epic but I didn't catch it live so wouldn't have counted in the thread.

Anything and everything Doug Flutie. The guy had a memorable career at BC and his Hail Mary to Phelan was historic. His NFL career temporarily ended quickly but he came back and led a subpar Buffalo Bills team to the playoffs only to get benched for the playoff game. The guy went against every mold of what an NFL quarterback was becoming. He was small and white, he would have to play his games between his lineman in order to be certain his passes didn't get knocked down. He would do things that were crazy creative, things that would drive a coach nuts except somehow they worked and earned the team more yards. He ended his career attempting a drop kick for the Patriots, just for shits and giggles, and it worked.

Oh, and I also saw him play drums in a band once.

[YOUTUBE]aV9CqlMbE6s[/YOUTUBE]

This it the one for me, and is a textbook example of winning a match at the last minute - literally in the final 20 seconds.

It was the final round of Super League XV in 2010, St Helens needed a win over Castleford Tigers to move to second in the league table, thus guaranteeing them a home-field advantage in the qualifying semi-final of the play-offs.

At 79 minutes, the score is 34-30 to the Saints, and they have possession in their own half, with only one chance to get a four tackle sequence into score a try. Saints display some of the most impressive offensive work I have ever seen, gaining 72 metres from four tackles, with slick offloads and passes being shown by the back line. However, time is ticking away.

At 79 minutes and 40 seconds, Keiron Cunningham - who would be playing his final league home game in a 16 year career - takes the dummy half from Tony Puletua on the 10 metre line and charges underneath the sticks, taking three Castleford defenders with him, to ground the final try in his final league match for the club. Jamie Foster converts to make the final score 40-30. Furthermore, it was to be the final league game ever played at Saints' stadium Knowsley Road, having being the setting for St Helens Rugby League since 1890.

Yes, the match was more or less already won. Yes, Cunningham played two more matches that season in the play-off finals. Yes, the qualifying semi-final was also played at Knowsley Road three weeks later, making that the final ever match played there (incidentally, Keiron also scored the final try in that game), but all the sentiment was bound up in that one magic minute for the fans. There was still the slight possibility that Castleford would gain possession and make a dash for the tryline and win the game - if that had occurred, Saints wouldn't have earned the home-field advantage and thus it would have been the swansong for Knowsley Road. It was that feeling of "this could be the last..." that propelled the game and created such an electric atmosphere.

Most recently, I'd have to say the LA Kings finally getting the Stanley Cup. After so many years without getting it, especially the sour taste of losing in '93, it was nothing short of special. Prior to that the Packers winning Super Bowl XLV.

Liverpool 3-0 down to Milan in the Champions League Final and all but out, coming back to draw 3-3 and win on Penalties. I dont even support Liverpool, in fact I find them more intolerable than most other big sides, but that was still fucking epic.

probaly the return of jeff hardy in tna.
it was strange to see him back when he was suppose to never come back.
however he did return and it was just simply strange to see him back.

Liverpool in the champions league final takes it for me. I missed most of the first half due to being at football training and came home just in time to see Crespo make it 3-0. When Gerrard got us back to 3-1 there was hope and when he won the penalty at 3-2 i went fucking mental.

[YOUTUBE]N3zSAeAziEY[/YOUTUBE]
Final starts at 2.02

The Munster Haka was also pretty fucking epic.

[YOUTUBE]iVufrShzUBw[/YOUTUBE]

I suppose I'll do a live one:

Newcastle United 4 - 4 Arsenal.

United's 3 minutes of glory at the end of the 98-99 season. The 1-2 punch of Sheringham and Solskjaer was unbelievable to watch live, as agony turned to ecstasy in such a short amount of time.

I would say Magglio Ordonez's walk of home run in Game 4 of the 2006 ALCS, but since MLB is party poopers they won't allow youtube videos. With that being the case, there's a few NCAA FB moments up for me:

[YOUTUBE]s8zZRBTOcnY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]FWFbGw-jZvc[/YOUTUBE]

On TV it would be either the Pistons winning the NBA Title in 2004, U of M winning the Rose Bowl in 1997 to cap off their National Title winning season, or Magglio Ordonez sending the Tigers to the WS on 2006.

In person it would be Barry Sanders breaking the 2,000 yard mark in the final game of the 1997 regular season.

2006 State of Origin series. Probably the best ever, it featured the best decider in a long time and was the start of the QLD's 6 year run (soon to be 7 come Wednesday night).

[YOUTUBE]Nrkk6Bm4dO4[/YOUTUBE]

On TV, it was probably the Istanbul, though the way City won the League last season was amazing.

In terms of being there in person:

Close second:

images

Anything and everything Doug Flutie. The guy had a memorable career at BC and his Hail Mary to Phelan was historic. His NFL career temporarily ended quickly but he came back and led a subpar Buffalo Bills team to the playoffs only to get benched for the playoff game. The guy went against every mold of what an NFL quarterback was becoming. He was small and white, he would have to play his games between his lineman in order to be certain his passes didn't get knocked down. He would do things that were crazy creative, things that would drive a coach nuts except somehow they worked and earned the team more yards. He ended his career attempting a drop kick for the Patriots, just for shits and giggles, and it worked.

Oh, and I also saw him play drums in a band once.

I loved Flutie when I was a kid. I was heart broken when the Bills chose Rob Johnson over Flutie. Ever since the Bills kicked Flutie out, they been down and out. The only bright spot the Bills fans had in the last decade was the second part of the '04 season when the Bills finished 9-7. I hope Fitzpatrick brings them back to the playoff's!

In the 1995 NBA Eastern Conference Semifinals, The Pacers and Knicks, game one at Madison Square Garden. The Pacers were down by six points with 18 seconds. Reggie Miller hit a 3-pointer. Reggie stole the inbound pass, stood back behind the 3 point line and hit another 3. John Starks got fouled, missed both free throws. Reggie Miller got fouled, made both free throws. Reggie Miller scored 8 points in 9 seconds to take the game away from the Knicks. Reggie Miller is one of the best clutch players of all time in any sport.

United's 3 minutes of glory at the end of the 98-99 season. The 1-2 punch of Sheringham and Solskjaer was unbelievable to watch live, as agony turned to ecstasy in such a short amount of time.

I would say it has to be this. I HATED Man Ud at this point, but you have to admit it was incredible to watch.

Also.

- Liverpool coming back from 3-0 down against AC Milan to win the Champions League. Breathtaking, and I was surrounded by Liverpool fans in the pub for it.

- Brian Lara breaking the batting record to reach 400 N/O against England in 2004. I had seen Matthew Hayden break Lara's previous record the year before, and spent the whole day watching the great man reclaim his record.

- Sir Steve Redgrave winning his final Olympic Rowing medal. Just phenomenal

- Man City winning the League this year. How everything changed so quickly was brilliant. That will go down as a legendary moment for sure.

My most recent in the flesh epic moment is:

One time I was playing beer pong, and we were down to our last cup. I missed, but got the ball back on a rollback, and I hit the behind-the-back shot to win the game. It was not only the most epic moment in sports, but my life as well. Leagues ahead of graduating high school, making the Dean's List at college, and losing my virginity.

In all seriousness though, the Devils winning their third Stanley Cup was pretty epic. Game 7 against Anaheim. The victory was never in doubt, the Devils were just on that night, and they won the greatest prize in sports.

I also remember that there was this couple where the man said he'd propose to the woman if the Ducks won. They didn't. He proposed anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back