• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What the FUCK was that last night?

JGlass

Unregistered User
I'm not sure if I'm alone in this, but NXT is quickly becoming one of my favorite shows. I really enjoy almost everyone on the roster, rookie and pro, and it's fun seeing these guys develop into superstars. I actually look more forward to NXT than RAW sometimes. The booking is generally pretty solid, the storyline feuds between the rookies are interesting, and the matches are 90% of the time very entertaining.

Which is why last night's NXT was a huge disappointment.

The night started out well enough, the pros came out and there was obvious tension between Mark Henry and The Miz after last night's assault. Then the Nexus came out, serious as usual, and you knew they meant business.

The night went along pretty well. There was a tag match with Mark Henry and Lucky Cannon vs. The Miz and Alex Riley. The match was pretty good too, Henry was solid, Riley had a good display of offense and defense, and The Miz did his thing. Cannon sucked, doing nothing impressive but a single powerslam, but what else is new. After the match Henry dumped garbage on Riley, and I'm sure we'll hear about that from the Varsity Villain next week.

And then, the moment everyone, and I mean EVERYONE was waiting for... SHOWTIME!

The future Emmy winning talkshow started perfectly, with Percy doing the Showtime dance around the ring. He even performed the gentlemanly gesture of inviting his pro to be his first guest, MVP. They talked for a while, and Percy oozed verbal magic. They didn't talk about much at all, but it was fun to hear them interact.

But then... everything went down south.

Percy told MVP that he was going to make an impact... by getting all the other NXT rookies to come down to the ring and jump him, thus, turning the entire roster heel. Sounds familiar right?

MVP played it off coolly, and then invited all the pros down to the ring to back him up.

My problem with the potential of an NXT Season 2 Pros vs. Rookies face off? We already saw it. In the first episode, the pros beat down the rookies to keep them in line, or whatever their explanation was. Point is, it already happened, and we don't need to see it again.

Furthermore, why turn Percy Watson heel? The WWE may be able to play the others off as just following orders, but Percy is the one that orchestrated the would be assault. But back to my original point, Percy Watson, besides Lucky Cannon (blech), is the most natural face on the roster. He is too funny, charming, and pleasant to waste as a heel. And how much do you want to be that WWE is going to make us forget the whole thing ever happened? I'm 75% sure that NXT will feature some segment with Percy apologizing to MVP, and MVP telling him since nothing really happened, it's cool. I'm not one of those people who constantly bitch about the WWE treating us like idiots, but come on, this would just be too much.

But I digress. Matt Striker decided to avoid a messy brawl, and instead change it into a much more neat (sarcasm) 14 man over the top rope battle royal. But Nexus wanted to get involved with it, making it a 20 man battle royal... or is it 21? (LD inside joke).

Huge Battle Royals suck. The only time they are really worth watching is when there are only about 4-8 competitors, or during the Royal Rumble. A 20 man battle royal is a HUGE waste of time and energy by the performers. Seriously, does anybody remember anything about the battle royal last night besides these following things.

1) Mark Henry getting eliminated by like, 15 people.
2) Nexus ducking out of the ring and beating on whoever went out.
3) Nexus getting back in the ring and facing off with the remaining NXT Pros.
4) The Miz eliminating Zack Ryder and pissing off the other pros.
5) The Miz begging and then eliminating himself.
6) Nexus beating down the three remaining pros one at a time.
7) Justin Gabriel hit the 450.

There were 20 men in that match, and there were only 7 things I consider to be worth remembering. Even so, the Mark Henry thing was typical of a battle Royale, and the two things with The Miz were just The Miz being himself, nothing special really.

I can't remember any of the actual fighting, I don't know whom eliminated whom, I don't know whom fought with whom, and I don't know what the fuck to think about the NXT Season 2 rookies because of it all.

I even have a bone to pick with the end of the match. After The Miz eliminated himself, we were left with John Morrison, Kofi Kingston, and Cody Rhodes. Nexus decided to start out with John Morrison. My question is, how the fuck did John Morrison last to the end of the match? At the beginning of the night, he was limping and grabbing his abdomen, clearly selling the injuries from his Nexus beatdown on RAW, yet he managed to last to the end of a 20 man battle royal and even was semi-successful at repelling the Nexus.

The other issue I have is with Kofi Kingston being eliminated before Cody Rhodes. The last man standing on the good guys' team should be just that, a good guy. Kofi is 100% face, yet the last guy they left us with was Cody Rhodes, a heel who is just starting to get a reaction out of the audience. So instead of having the audience hold out a little bit of hope for Kofi to make it a win, instead we having Cody Rhodes, and we really don't care what happens to that self-obsessed asshole, now do we?

Last night's NXT was lazy booking, to the max. I think they must have let TNA book last night's show, it was that bad. It's as if they couldn't think of a better feud to create between two rookies, so they just decided to throw everyone in a match together. It was pathetic, boring, and disappointing, as I expect much better from NXT. I hope that the WWE realizes how shitty last night was and learns from their mistake. I also really hope they come up with a GOOD way to turn Percy face again, like having him come out to save MVP or something.

So all in all, my message to the WWE is, do better, I know you can.

Fantastic news, from day one the NXTBlood was destined to fail and it's already on it's way. Now we have 2 groups of jobbers out to get the main WWE roster. Maybe this lot will call themselves the NXT-Pac and come out to a rap theme. I must say though, hats off to the WWE for "surprising" me. I figured they at least wait til the end of this season to make the group 2 guys exactly the same as the first group, guess they figured they'd just go ahead and do it now. Oh well, this should be great to watch how this decays.

Fantastic news, from day one the NXTBlood was destined to fail and it's already on it's way. Now we have 2 groups of jobbers out to get the main WWE roster. Maybe this lot will call themselves the NXT-Pac and come out to a rap theme. I must say though, hats off to the WWE for "surprising" me. I figured they at least wait til the end of this season to make the group 2 guys exactly the same as the first group, guess they figured they'd just go ahead and do it now. Oh well, this should be great to watch how this decays.

I really don't want this to turn into a WWE bashing thread, as that was not it's intent at all. I also think you are way overreacting, as this does not mean the current NXT rookies are going to go the way of Nexus, not even by a long shot. It was a major flub by the WWE, certainly, but it's not a hopeless situation, not even by a long shot.

I didnt see anything wrong with last night. I actually enjoyed it a lot.

First, you mentioned turning Percy and whole roster heel. As I said in the Percy Watson/MVP thread, I highly doubt that this is a heel turn. The idea of having the season 2 rookies gang up and attack the pros was simply a way to stir up some drama with the Nexus there. I really believe that next week, everything will be back to normal. Percy will be Percy and the rest of rookies will be back to normal as well.

I didnt think the battle royal was that bad. Yeah, it was a bit of a mess with so many people, but we got some good things out of it. First and most importantly, we saw the unity of the Nexus. They did a great job of making the Nexus look better than they already did. Everyone pretty much held their own for a while and I dont think anyone came out of the match looking bad.

You do make a very good point about Morrison though. I didnt even think of that. He probably should have been one of the first ones out, or at least he should have been eliminated sooner. I also understand your gripe with Cody at the end, but I dont think it would have made that much of a difference.

Last night was the first night I was dissapointed with NXT this season. I was hoping for something really good with Nexus going back "home" but the whole show was just dragging and seemed like i was thrown together last minute (and for all we know maybe it was). Nexus didn't come off as destructive and insted looked to be more pussyish than ever (I know pussyish isn't a word but work with me here). Had Percy made a coment that it was payback time (maybe followed by an "oh yeah" and that laugh) before the rookies showe dup the attempted assault would have made sense but it made them just off as guys trying to possibly weasel their way in to Nexus.

All in all I was very dissapointed in NXT last night and I'm hoping they back to being good again next week.

This seems more appropriate for the review thread. But I do agree with you on the NXT2 guys pulling the same shit The Nexus did (just unsuccessfully) was just idiotic booking. I don't think anyone cares to see these guys form their own Nexus and reek havoc on Smackdown! The WWE should be smart enough to realize this so why even bother teasing it?

I thought it was an interesting departure from the usual NXT formula, which are mic skills/physical challenges, and assorted rookie/pro match-ups. A battle royal started building a storyline between the pros, Nexus and the season 2 rookies and showed how they all interacted with all the group dynamics, testing the usual face/heel dichotomy, and allowing for more character development. A case in point is Percy Watson. He is still a face but he showed some seriousness and some rebellion towards his pro, a hint of heel behavior. But his goofy character hasn't changed, unless they do a major swerve next week, which would be unwise and would kill his chances. Anyway, a battle royal is better than keg carrying and it's something besides a combination of rookie/pro tag and singles matches.

I'm with you. I look forward to NXT every week because so far it has been the only WWE show that is entertaining and good enough for me to watch and not cringe. But last night was just pathetic. I understand why they wanna make Nexus look tough. They're huge right now and they're trying to make a statement. But the fact that the NXT2 rookies didn't ban together to do anything was pretty stupid to me. They could've have Nexus vs NXT and it would've been gold. But instead they throw everyone in there and make a huge mess out of it. What a surprise WWE. Hell I would've been okay with Nexus winning if they would've done it right but it just seemed stupid. And Cody Rhodes had like twenty opportunities to eliminate the Nexus guys and didn't so it seemed pointless to keep him around, they could've ended it much sooner without him rushing around the ring doing nothing until it was his turn to get beat up.

And ps. I know that Laycool wasn't on there because of this brawl but that was the most disappointing this for me. Week in and week out their interactions with Kaval (as well as the Miz/Riley interactions) have been the driving force for NXT and it just seemed stupid without it.

and pps. This whole Nexus coming back thing completely threw off anything that NXT had built. It seemed random and thrown together and for me didn't really serve a purpose...I was so annoyed.

I agree, i noticed the Morrison thing aswell.

Also, with 'Dashing' Cody Rhodes, i don't get why they had Nexus beat him down? As already said, why have him the last standing? Just seemed stupid.

About the Season 2 Rookies now all turning against the Pro's, in the Over the Top Rope match, the S2 Rookies were hitting one another, and even trying to eliminate each other. Can't remember who it was, but one of them was trying to help the Miz eliminate Percy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back