What song got you hooked on your favorite band?

Good question, but I have quite a few bands to discuss, as I like many.

Blood Red Sandman by Lordi Now this wasn't the first song I had heard from them, that was Devil is a Loser, which got me interested just by their look and a pretty good sound. But Blood Red Sandman got me completely hooked. I was searching videos during school one day, and when i heard this song, I was like THIS EFFING RULES!!!!!!!!

Spare Me the Details by The Offspring I was sheltered from good music for most of my life, so I wasn't really familiar with the greatness of The Offspring before I heard Splinter when I spent the summer of 2004 with my brother. I heard Spare Me the Details playing in the car one day and instantly I was hooked. This one song brought me to a couple of other songs on the lowly album Splinter, The Noose, Hit That, and more of their earlier work from Smash, Ixnay on the Hombre, etc.

Beginning of the End by Spineshank I first heard Beginning of the End during the opening of Freddy vs. Jason, and I was instantly hooked. I found the song as fast as possible and it has been in my music playlists for about 4 or 5 years. I suggest anyone listen to it.

Rusty Cage and Superunkown by Soundgarden
I was a big Audioslave fan in ab out grade 9, so I decided to go listen to RATM and Soundgarden having found out that Audioslave was members of those bands. I love RATM today, but I was iffy on them at the time. I downloaded Black Hole Sun, which generally is considered Soundgarden's best song, and I liked it, but when I downloaded Rusty Cage and Superunknown I really got hooked. Now 5 years later they are far and away my favorite band, and both songs still hold a special place in my heart.

The Suffering by Coheed & Cambria--No, not Welcome Home like everyone else. I had heard Welcome Home, and liked it, but it never really got much past that. I heard The Suffering, and I immediately went to iTunes to pick up the album. After that album I got the other two. Coheed & Cambria is probably the only band for which I can select "All Songs" on my iPod and not end up skipping more than 3 songs.

You should listen to there album "A Second Stage Turbine Blade" it blows all there latter albums away

As for me personally

Something Corporate - I bought there album North after hearing She Paints Me Blue From someone else, I fell in love with those songs instantly.

Death Cab For Cutie - I heard there disc We Have The Facts We're Voting Yes, I immediately loved Ben Gibbards vocals and storytelling.

Thursday - Easy, back in 2001 my friend Michelle and I where checking out bands we stumbled upon this song called Porcelain by an up and coming Jersey band called Thursday it was to be on there impending debut disc "Waiting" on Eyeball records the beautiful of that song kept me listening even til this day.

Blink 182 - Stay Together For The Kids got me into this band, one of their greatest songs, with a softer verse which explodes into the harder chorus. Actually, their whole Greatest Hits CD got me into them, just the first song I heard was STFTK and it was what made me go out and buy that CD.

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Either Californication or Under The Bridge. My guitar teacher actually showed me both those songs, so I guess I have him to thank for it. Both those songs, even though they're both slow, are instantly likeable and catchy.

My favorite band is Rehab. The song that got me hooked has to be Bartender. First one I heard it made me like them alot but its not even there best song. About there third best song if you ask me. There best has to be IMO 1980. Really awesome song. Awesome group also its a Rock/Rap group. Its not that over the top ghetto rap. Its more of the rap that anyone can listen to really and like. The rock also adds alot of awesomeness to the band

The Killers- I started with All these things that I've done, and I ended up with all their Cd's. Brandon Flower's work with lyrics is damn good!

Eagles of Death Metal- It was Chase the Devil. I listened to that song when I played Tony Hawk's Project 8. I got their latest CD now, but I need to get their first one though.

Queens of the Stone Age- With this band it was In My Head on the Need for Speed soundtrack. Great band.

Last one from me!

Muse- Suppermassive Black Hole was on an Entourage episode, and got hooked since. Muse's playing on live concerts is nothing short of amazing.

I'll post a couple...

Savatage - My all-time favorite band, I love everything they put out from Gutter Ballet on, and hate everything prior to it. I had actually owned Gutter Ballet and Streets: A Rock Opera for several years before they became my favorite band. I listened to Gutter Ballet a lot, but still would have put them below Metallica, GnR, and several others. Then my brother died, in 2000. After the funeral, I wouldn't allow myself to grieve properly, so the pain was always under the surface and wouldn't heal. One day, while driving to work, I popped in a homemade CD that had a few songs by Savatage on it. One of those songs was Alone You Breathe off of the Handful of Rain CD. This was a song written for the former lead guitarist, Criss Oliva, the brother of lead singer and songwriter Jon Oliva. Criss died in a car wreck in 1993, and this song was a tribute to him.

I give you the first verse:

You were never one for waiting,
Still I always thought you'd wait for me.
And have you from your dreams awakened?
And from where you are what do you see?
Which of us is now an exile?
Which in need of amnesty?
Are you now but an illusion?
In my mind alone you breathe.
You believed in things that I will never know.
You were out there drowning but it never showed.
Til inside a rainswept night
You just let go
You've thrown it all away.
And now we'll never see
The ending to the play.
The grand design, the final line
And what was meant to be

Or better yet, the song itself...
[youtube]u4_WVFWaLsQ[/youtube]
I had to pull over to the side of the road because I started bawling like a little baby. I was an hour late for work that day, but it was ok, because once the floodgate opened, I was finally able to start the healing process and move on with my life.

Wow.

Ok.

Disturbed - At the time that Disturbed first came out, I was a pretty big fan of Godsmack, Days of the New, Stabbing Westward...bands like that. So one night I'm listening to the radio at work, waiting to hear Voodoo play because the dj had mentioned that he had it on deck, when I first heard the song Stupify. I was floored. This song had such a catchy riff, and yet was full of real aggression and energy. I decided to go buy the CD (yeah, I still bought CDs back then) and give it a listen on my way home from work. The first three songs were fairly good, I thought. But then the fourth track, Down With The Sickness, began to play, and I was hooked.

Funnily enough for me to get hooked to Alter Bridge, I have WWE to thank for that. The moment I started playing one of the Smackdown games (think it was 2006) and I heard his theme Metalingus for the first time, and i was like damn, this is one great song here, I wanna here the full version and see what else they have. After looking around and getting my hands on their album One Day Remains I knew that they were my favourite band, Find the Real, One Day Remains, Broken Wings, In Loving Memory such great songs to love and listen to on any day of the week. That's how I got hooked.

I'm a Disturbed fan myself, although it wasn't really until around this year when they took more light in my life, prior to then, I had only heard Glass Shatters, but I went with a risk and brought their Invincible Album and I liked, got hooked to Perfect Insanity, but I have a friend who religiously loved Disturbed and she got me into them by playing her favourites from Down with the Sickness, Prayer, Remember. But the song that got me hooked was Ten Thousand Fists, such a brilliant beat, pace and energy, that is a song I don't get tired of (much like Metalingus), I just brought their Sickness and Ten Thousand Fists album and I'm really hooked to them now.

Jimi Hendrix- Castles Made of Sand

[youtube]YF4-r2MpRMs[/youtube]

Any Hendrix song is deep by nature, and makes you feel his pain, his joy, any of the emotion he's trying to express in his songs. And this one, more so than any other song Jimi's done, shows his pain, and a great background on him. Jimi never talked about his song, yet with this song, he expresses very much of his mother's heritage as a Cherokee. He spoke his words out, rather than singing them. For the sheer art of poetry, that's just fucking magnificent as lyricist, and as a poet. Hendrix was as in touch with his creative side as any artist ever, and this song, I'd argue, is his most creative. So much metaphor which relays to his own life, even. Look at these lyrics:

Down the street you can hear her scream you're a disgrace
As she slams the door in his drunken face
And now he stands outside
And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
And his tears fall and burn the garden green

And so castles made of sand fall in the sea, eventually

How fucking marvelous is this? It's such beautiful language, mixed with imagery and symbolism to describe his life. That last line perfectly personifies Hendrix's life, and how the sea eventually brought him back down, as if life and the surmounting tide sapped him of his structure and life. All of the verses follow a place in his life that never got completely described. The first verse is Jimi's mother leaving his father Al Hendrix again, this time for real. the second is him playing in the woods as an Indian, in his grandmother's forest. I'm not sure so I'm just throwing this out there, but this is my attempt at what the last verse means. So there's this crippled girl who is depressed and wants to kill herself so she takes her wheelchair to the edge of the sea and she plans on throwing herself in, since she wouldn't be able to swim. "to her legs she smiled you won't hurt me no more", so her legs which apparently have ruined her life will no longer have a hold on her once she is dead. This is where it gets hazy but i think the golden winged ship is just the sun setting over the ocean. "a sight she'd never seen made her jump", so she jumped out of her chair into the ocean and finally she was washed into the sea literally and metaphorically along with the setting sun. Sand was a favored metaphor of Jimi's for the temporary nature of existence, of time slipping away, how nothing can be taken for granted-love, loyalty, family bonds, friendship. Jimi's whole childhood had been spent in a state of uncertainty and transition- different homes, different schools, different cares and a mother who was here one minute and gone the next. The irony is acute: not solid castle built on sand which might shift, yet still remain intact, but a castle made of sand and so therefore fatally flawed from the moment of creation. Utopia is a mere illusion as the castle in Spain crumble away.

And I haven't even touched on his beautiful guitar play, which is always phenomenal. There are so many reasons why this song is great. And it got me so hooked into Jimi Hendrix

Disarm by Smashing Pumpkins.

I heard this on the radio and was like hmmm this is pretty good, pretty damn good actually. I remember going to Sanity (CD Store) and getting the Pumpkins album Siamese Dream and found out how fucking sick they really were, great fucking band. Songs like Cherub Rock, Today and Rocket were awesome. That album got me into the rest and I never looked back. Fucking great band, pitty Corgan is a fucking douch.

Im a rap fan so

Eminem: Without Me, i heard this when my sister was driving me somewhere back when this song first came out and that was what got me hooked onto hip hop.

OutKast: Ms Jackson, this was the second hip hop song to get me into it all, came out same time was The Eminem show and it just drew me in with how catchy it was.

Who Got Da Props by Black Moon: Well this song made me starting pursuing my music career, Black Moon was a sub-group within a hip hop supergroup called Boot Camp Click from Brooklyn, New New York City, i first heard of Boot Camp Click at the end of 2005 I WAS BLOWN away, ever since i've been the biggest Boot Camp Click fan. Now my favourite rapper Sean Price is a member of the BCC

2002 and 2005 became the biggest years in terms of music loving for me those years changed my life.

Domination: This was on Pantera's first album, 'Cowboys from Hell'. It was like nothing I ever heard before I have multiple live versions of this song and live it has more power and anger to it. I love it. By this time 'Vuglar Display of Power' was already released so I immediately had to have that. And then I got the 'Vulgar Video', which has live concert footage, backstage footage and actually MTV style videos. It made me want be be a whiskey drinking, shaved head, alcoholic rock star. This has not happened, at least the rock star part of it.
Paul Revere: The Beastie Boys, their first album, Liscense to Ill. I was around eight when I got this tape (for you younger guys, we had tapes before cd's, which were before the digital files we have now). It is one of 3 tapes that I played so much it wore out (Def Leppard's Hysteria and Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet were the others). I still love the Beastie's to this day, have been to many of their concerts. They're fun.

Audioslave- When their Out of Exile CD came out I randomly bought it and got hooked on Be Yourself and Doesn't Remind Me. I used to listen to that CD every single day.

Saliva- Blood Stained Love Story was a great album to me but my favorite song on it was Black Sheep, I admit I bought the CD do to WWE plugging it so much but that CD got me into that band

My favourite band is Whitesnake, and I absolutely love their music. I not sure how long ive been a fan, mabye a year or so, and I know for sure, what got me started was a song that everyone know - Here I Go Again (1987version). Of course, as I listened to them more I got hooked, and now my favourite song is Still of the Night, and unlike some people who are familiar with them, I also have an appreciation of their older, more bluesy stuff like their Trouble or Lovehunter album.

What a great band, and Id reccommend them to anyone who likes the Awesome voice of David Coverdale, and great musicians who, have been part of, Whitesnake. Id certainly reccommend the Lovehunter, Slide It In, 1987 and Slip of the Tongue albums, and even their most recent stuff Good To Be Bad.

Bat Country by Avenged Sevenfold

That song got me into a band that has become one of my favorite bands. Their sound is so awesome. They have great guitarists and their vocalist rules. A7X is probably in my top 5 bands.

I tend to have a lot of different favourite bands at different times ranging from Slipknot and Mushroomhead (anyone remember those guys.... and their "feud" :p) to Patrick Wolf and Sigur Ros. I love listening to new things- especially bands from different countries- they can sometimes have a completely different way of doing things which catches you by surprise and brings a smile to your face, a tear to your eye, a dance in your step or 2 fingered devil horns/ M sign with your hand- (Don't actually know what that’s called- and yes I am one of those brats that does it and screams when a guitar starts a long solo train to hell :) )

Anyways back to favourite bands and songs which got me hooked.

The first of which is "Sad Eyes" by Bat For Lashes. I had heard the song once or twice before but one night after coming home from a party I was a little high ( :( )- and I put the album on. As the song built up I could feel the pain of the woman in the whole- the wretched feeling you have- knowing that you can't do anything to change the feelings of the other person, but trying desperately to hide what you feel from them

"Keep my love as light as a feather, Sad eyes its been such a long time. Keep my heart breaking in dark".

Honestly I felt my heart breaking as I listened and I re-felt some past loves. Musically its a simple song- but its sometimes the simplest songs which kill with one blow.

[youtube]wkOb4K5gO1w[/youtube] (Be warned- vid has a really strange monkey in it- you will see what I mean ;) )

Now for something completely different :) "First girl to leave town" by the Blizzards. This is a relatively small band from Mullingar in Ireland who I saw early Sunday morning one fine Oxegen (big Irish music festival). It’s a fast paced fairly jaunty pop rock song with a lil bit of ska thrown in, which just immediately makes me want to dance. Doesn't matter where I am, church, tram, park, middle of h'apenny bridge, if I hear this- there is no choice in matter- you and I are going for a dance ;) Lyrics are slightly darker than they first appear (not really dark or anything-just a tiny bit- they are a fairly happy band)

[youtube]_01Wkur-Cfw[/youtube]

My third choice is a British band (just the two islands so far isn't it? Sorry) called Forward Russia- song is called "Fifteen Part one" and "Fifteen Part two) Maybe it was because I hadn't listened to metal for ages but when I was played this I was suddenly um 15 again (I am sorry- that isn't meant to be a joke- I can actually be funny sometimes though I tend to be eager and excitable instead). Anyways its basically one song split across two, and its an almost constant build up song- it doesn't stop- its doesn't have a slowed down solo or bridge- it keeps up a furious tempo almost the whole song before finally hitting the crescendo at the end. Its a terrific marching song- if you need to march along somewhere fast and be distracted the whole time- honestly 10 minutes never went so fast and you will feel energised, pumped up and ready to do stuff! (Whatever that stuff may be- not a good idea to do it before a lecture ;) )

Finally (if there is anyone left reading by this stage- I tend to go on mini rants here. Be good to know someone else is out there :p) we have Sigur Ros and "Glosoli"-( sorry I don't know how to put the marks over the letters) I had heard vaguely about Sigur Ros a lot- some people were mentioning them and they kept coming up as similar artists to other stuff I had. So anyway I sat down in bed one night and watched the video for this. And I was hooked. (I was going to say immediately but that’s not true- I was intrigued at the beginning but around the 4 minute mark when the song suddenly gets epic on your ass and hauls up with it into its icy wonder castle in the sky you are just left reeling) Honestly- watch the video on YouTube- I guarantee you will start off bored, and gradually get a bit intrigued where the song is all going. Then..... Then my friend you will be a Sigur Ros fan. :p (Actually probably not- but it sounds so much more dramatic that way)

[youtube]lwQmDvuORY0[/youtube]

My favroite band is MCR and the song that got me hooked on them like crazy is Welcome To The Black Parade
[youtube]fqUJ8nB18sQ[/youtube].

The lyrics are just beutifal and the song itself is just awsome. Purely Classic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back