• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What is Jeff Hardy's new and revolutionary gimmick?

Hulk Hogan's Brother

Stop asking me what I'm gonna do!!!
Before you jump on me and start saying that he's the antichrist of pro wrestling, please hear me out.

There are many meanings of the word "antichrist". It could be a guy who actually preaches against the teachings of Christ and hence is a dangerous element to the society. But thus far Jeff has not shown this trait in his character. In fact his character has nothing to do with religon at all.

But there is one more thing. He says he is the antichrist of wrestling. Now depending upon which definition of antichrist you choose there are two ways to interpret this:

1)He does not follow the rules that wrestlers ordinarily follow. This is to say that he does not follow the teachings of wrestling just like an antichrist does not follow the teachings of Christ. Now this might sound like a huge deal but its just another way to say that he is a heel.

2) The second definition of antichrist is a bit more interesting. It says that antichrist is a guy who will be just like Christ but in a more deceptive manner. He will provide for the needs of people but would not provide them with the ultimate salvation. Now this explains his turn perfectly. He was a much loved face but he denied his fans the satisfaction by ultimately winning the title as a heel and thus pissing them off. But again that does not say much about what his character will be once he turns heel. And once again from what I have seen he seems to be just another heel.

So the question I am putting out to you guys is:

What is that unique thing about Jeff's character that distinguishes him from any other leader of a heel stable?

Is antichrist just a cool term for a heel or is it specific character? If so what are the characteristics of such a character? Has Jeff shown such characteristics so far?

Thoughts on this are welcome. And please do not turn this into a TNA bashing thread.

To be brutally honest they seem as though they chose "Antichrist" because it sounded cool, and so it does. They could not have his gimmick in any way shape or form related to religion because it would cause problems, but I agree he needs those titantron promos or in-ring ones where he calmly says why he's better than everyone (not in a CM Punk bragging way because it wouldn't suit Hardy's character).

On the other hand I like this weird Hardy, his look is one of a born heel and his promos are not at all bad; BUT sooner or later he needs to show a very agressive side to himself just to add to the heel aspect I feel.

Jeff is different to begin with. He's such a big weirdo in his personal life that he can't help it but be as odd as he is in the ring as well. Like, I know AJ dresses like some white rapper, drives bikes and all of that, which is totally not what he's like on TV. Jeff is just a weird guy. He paints weird, he dresses weird, he looks weird, so chances are he'll come off different in the ring as well. The guy has a different mentality about everything. I can't help but respect that.

What distinguishes him from any other leader of a heel stable? Well, I don't think he's a black to everyone else's white, but I guess the way he's being booked and his attitude make him stand out. We don't see a whole hell of a lot from Hardy in the ring, he always jumps from behind, plays mind tricks, does creepy backstage promos. I can't recall a heel leader like him. The big heel stables, current and past, I can think of are Nexus, Main Event Mafia, nWo, Evolution, Legacy.

Wade Barret is a ground and pound big guy and he's nothing like Hardy.

I wasn't watching TNA when MEM was around so I'll assume that Angle was their leader and he's also nothing like Hardy.

nWo's leader was Hogan and from what I hear he was booked in a similiar way. Not showing his face much and rarely wrestling so it feels more special when he is. TNA has done just that. I mean, ever since Hardy won the belt the world title matches started having an even more formal introduction, UFC-like and everything and I can't help but like that.

Evolution and Legacy - no chance.

So in the end, he's more similiar to Hogan than anyone else. It's like Bischoff and Russo booked this. Oh wait!

Is antichrist just a cool term for a heel or is it specific character? If so what are the characteristics of such a character? Has Jeff shown such characteristics so far?

I think it's cool. It's edgy and I don't believe it comes even close to what some other wrestler has used. I think he slapped that moniker on himself basically because he was such a fan favourite and he turned his back on them now. I don't think Jeff's showing any characteristics of being AntiChrist now. It's just a cool name that sounds right for the occasion and... that's it.

The only way for that name to have substance is if Immortal is like a promised land for any wrestler on the TNA roster. A lot of people think that the Anti Christ will be some ugly son of a bitch who hates everything and everybody, slaughters christians and all of that. Not true. He'll be a man that everyone loves and praises, he'll build a wonderful world for the people and be the most gracious and loving human being on this planet, and if you want to be a part of this heaven on Earth that he created, you'll have to bare the mark of the beast 666 on either the back of your neck or your wrist.

See THAT would be a cool gimmick. "Immortal" being the promised land for the wrestlers, giving them access to power, protection, titles, money and everything they need. But the only way for them to become a part of it is to be marked with some symbol(which I suppose every member of Immortal has) and turn his back on Dixie and TNA. Something like that.

Unfortunatly TNA just can't cut it with NEW REVOLUTIONARY storylines & characters, some of their match concepts are pretty gnarly but that is as about as revolutionary TNA gets.

Hardy has always had a sweet nickname, WWE probably has most trademarked up so TNA had to sit back and sift through their dictionary and someone saw Anti-christ.
Jeff's recently heel turn, TNA needed to get behind him with some of heelish nickname.
Lets face it Anti-christ is a pretty heel/bad guy kind of nickname, so I can see why TNA bistoed that on him, but over all I dont see his gimmick being much.

No, this isn't a revolutionary gimmick, because the gimmick doesn't even make sense. Hardy calling himself the Anti-Christ of wrestling, as I've said in other threads, doesn't even make a bit of sense. It's just some title tossed out to try to sound edgy and cool, but it fails because clearly the meaning of Anti-Christ is entirely lost when you really look at the real meaning. Was Hardy the Jesus Christ of wrestling and then suddenly proved himself to be the deceiver? Please. And the fact he calls himself that, and admits to therefore being a deceiver, totally contradicts being the Anti-Christ. When you get down to it the gimmicks actually really stupid. It's not even really a gimmick because there's no content behind it.

The only way for that name to have substance is if Immortal is like a promised land for any wrestler on the TNA roster. A lot of people think that the Anti Christ will be some ugly son of a bitch who hates everything and everybody, slaughters christians and all of that. Not true. He'll be a man that everyone loves and praises, he'll build a wonderful world for the people and be the most gracious and loving human being on this planet, and if you want to be a part of this heaven on Earth that he created, you'll have to bare the mark of the beast 666 on either the back of your neck or your wrist.

See THAT would be a cool gimmick. "Immortal" being the promised land for the wrestlers, giving them access to power, protection, titles, money and everything they need. But the only way for them to become a part of it is to be marked with some symbol(which I suppose every member of Immortal has) and turn his back on Dixie and TNA. Something like that.

Zeven I liked this explanation that you have given for Hardy's gimmick. However there are only 2 problems that I can see with this:

1) Its too close to what the NWO was. It was also a promised land for WCW wrestlers if they turned their back on WCW.

2) If it is true then Hardy needs to talk more about the group's objectives.

But actually I do not think that this is the case. Immortal is more of an exclusive big boys club rather than a company out to recruit candidates.

So as it stands I feel that The Antichrist is just a cool name for a heel.

See? Fans of TNA ARE SMART!!! Great thread and a great theory. Unfortunately, the company you're rooting for probably didn't even think something as abstract as you. Russo might've just picked something that popped in his head like he always does. This would have a lot of potential if they go through it YOUR way and I might very well start watching it again, but they won't.

Sad really.

Anyhow, great thread, great theory.

What is that unique thing about Jeff's character that distinguishes him from any other leader of a heel stable?

Absolutely nothing. Someone's going to try and tell me that a once cherished superstar turned handpicked heel champion is an angle that hasn't been done before? That's quite laughable. Oh, wait...is it the "we're taking control of this company" tone of the stable in general, and the company-degrading promos and actions from the heel champion? Yeah, we've been there too. I'm not knocking TNA for rehashing angles; there's only so many concepts to work with while booking an angle. I'm just saying that when asked to distinguish Hardy from any other heel leader, I must admit that there really isn't much to work with.

The term "antichrist" applied to Jeff makes sense...if you're an impatient simpleton. If that was truly the angle they were planning for, a better build and promotion of Hardy over the Summer should have been done. You don't just waltz onto the scene, swipe the belt and go "I'm the antichrist of wrestling!". The appeal of such a concept is in the big reveal. It's disappointing because it's a concept that could have been done much much better and actually would have fit Hardy perfectly. Instead, it feels much like Hardy's art: forced and hurried, desperate to scream out "I have a message..." but never getting to that critical part about actually having a message.

I wish Hardy would bust out a new finishing move. The "Twist of Fate" or now known as "Twist of Hate" as well as the "Swanton" are to much associated with the fan obsessed face Jeff Hardy. Granted I don't really have any ideas personally but I think it would go miles in increaseing the heel persona.

Personally, I don't see anything new or revolutionary about Jeff Hardy's new gimmick. He's doing the classic "wrestling for the fans never got me anywhere, so now I'm just out for myself" schtick. Even his calling himself the "Antichrist of Wrestling" is nothing new in TNA, as they've already had the stable "The New Church" with "Father James Mitchell", a vaguely Classic-Undertaker-like character "Judas Mesias", and currently have Ric Flair calling himself "a wrestling god." Also, carrying around the WWE Divas belt instead of the TNA World Title doesn't do much for his image, or for TNA's.

I'm in no way bashing TNA, by the way, as it's my favorite current wrestling company. I'm just giving my thoughts on Hardy's current gimmick.

He's a pale, shallow ECW Raven ripoff. What more is there to say, really? You can wildly interpret all sorts of things into it, but for the most part, about 60-70% of it just states "This was Raven's gimmick" and Raven did it better

You beat me to the punch, that's exactly what the gimmick is. But, if you're going to steal, steal a good one, and Raven's always worked for me. Hell, when Matt's noncompete runs out, they will have the perfect Tommy Dreamer to Jeff's Raven and they can really get to the gimmick infringement.

This thread makes as much sense as the nickname; which isn't a whole lot, to be honest with ya'.

Him being an anti-christ, you would think that it either means he is being a huge heel in TNA and breaking all of the rule, but he's not doing that to the full extent 'cause he didn't cheat during the main event TNA title match against Matt Morgan at Turning Point, 'nor did he cheat to defeat Raven and take his job away. Any long-lasting negativity from any of those was mainly Matt Morgan not being the champion, and Raven losing his job, which if you're a die-hard fan, you'd probably consider both to be a good thing, or a positive thing; but I digress.

Secondly; the anti-christ gimmick can mean that instead of breaking rules and what not, maybe it just means that he's against God or Christ, but that isn't the case 'cause his he hasn't said anything about religion, and no one else has. Plus, if anything; Flair calls himself God, and Jeff is aligned with him. Why is God hanging out with someone who doesn't like Christ? lol, for a born-again Christian, Vince Russo doesn't know too much about Christianity, does he?

Thirdly; this could just be a stupid nickname and maybe it means that he doesn't want to give the fans what they want (i.e. not meeting the fans, not signing autographs, etc.) but NO! This guy, although yeah, not doing autographs and what not, is still busting his ass for the fans. Swantom, taking bumps, doing aerial maneuvers, all that stuff. That's the old Jeff Hardy that Jeff was talking crap about. So what the fuck was the turn for, as well as those self-esteem lacking promo's?

The turn was great @ Bound for Glory, the iMPACT afterwards, and the Reaction during that iMPACT. But that's it. They put too much emphasis and gave that idiotic drug addict the freedom to say whatever he wants to enhance his character, and because he talked a minute too long, now they're putting emphasis on one line about being the anti-christ, and now he rendered the turn to total ball-suckageness.

I cant really answer your question. But I can offer you my interpretation of what antichrist means. A wrestler is supposed to do just that, wrestle and win the belt. Hardy got the belt not by means of wrestling and that means he is basically spitting on having to work and wrestle to win yourself prestige and championships. So an anti-christ in this sense is a guy who sets the odds in his favour meaning that he doesnt have to wrestle to keep his belt. He is for instance the oposite of angle who works to get his belts as hard as anybody and hardy is the anti-christ of wrestling because he doesnt work hard to be where he is. That is my interpretation anyway.

that said there isnt anything new about what he has done or is doing in winning the belt or his character that would make him and him alone THE antichrist. By my definiton all guys like angle in MEM or HHH in evolution are anti-christs of pro-wrestling because they dont work to get where they are, they rely on others. It is just hardy has given himself that name when nobody has thought to, and it is a cool name. thats all that separates himself from a lot of guys whove been faction leaders in the past. The idea to give himself that name, apart from that he's as anti-christic as anybody.

I can't say that I've seen anything revolutionary about this gimmick. Generally speaking, I think it's been pretty lackluster thus far. Maybe things will pick up but I'm impressed at all by what I've seen.

As far as the gimmick goes, Jeff Hardy is basically something of a weirdo in real life. He seems himself as this brooding artist/poet filled with angst and all that kinda stuff. And based on what I've seen thus far, it does seem to be something of an imiation of Raven's gimmick. :shrug:

I think his current gimmick is that he doesn't totally suck on the mic anymore :) everything else sucks still and he'ss pretty much a clone of the way Raven use to be.

I cant really answer your question. But I can offer you my interpretation of what antichrist means. A wrestler is supposed to do just that, wrestle and win the belt. Hardy got the belt not by means of wrestling and that means he is basically spitting on having to work and wrestle to win yourself prestige and championships. So an anti-christ in this sense is a guy who sets the odds in his favour meaning that he doesnt have to wrestle to keep his belt. He is for instance the oposite of angle who works to get his belts as hard as anybody and hardy is the anti-christ of wrestling because he doesnt work hard to be where he is. That is my interpretation anyway.

that said there isnt anything new about what he has done or is doing in winning the belt or his character that would make him and him alone THE antichrist. By my definiton all guys like angle in MEM or HHH in evolution are anti-christs of pro-wrestling because they dont work to get where they are, they rely on others. It is just hardy has given himself that name when nobody has thought to, and it is a cool name. thats all that separates himself from a lot of guys whove been faction leaders in the past. The idea to give himself that name, apart from that he's as anti-christic as anybody.

That just sums up 90% of the standard run of the mill heels :)
do the least amount possible to get what you want and as Jessie Ventura use to say.

"Win if you can, Lose if you must, But always cheat." and have the owner behind you to stack the odds.

I guess it seperates him from the pack is that He rarly ever associates himself with Immortal as much as everyone else in in-ring promos, or on reaction. When he does he talks for a breif time, letting Hogan, Biscoff, of flair do most of the talking. The other leaders of Stables ussually took most of the promo time to bs while the rest of the group talks minamal or not at all. In this case it's the other way around.

Honestly Hardy's the only guy in TNA that this term can actually desribre, and by that I mean realistically(look, attitude,etc.). He's the thrid in Major Professional wrestling, only behind Kane, and undertaker. I think in all honesty this was a way to retilate to Kane's nickname the Devil's favorite demon, which would fit hardy better since he looks like a demon kind of. He does show some characteristics of an anti crist, but its explained better in previous posts. This Gimmick does give Hardy kind of a "I don't give a fuck about you, I'm in this for me" or as a badass kind of attitude. Which btw He's definatly better than his kiss ass face gimick. This Hardy is definately better, He seems more dominant in TNA than he was in WWE. WWE sure dropped the ball on this didn't they, all well it only benefitted TNA and gave them serious star and draw power in their roster.

An important thing to note:

With regards to the definition of "Antichrist" and the supposed prophecy of the Antichrist in Christianity; Jeff Hardy cannot be the antichrist, because the Antichrist is supposed to be unknown; no one knows he's the Antichrist, that's why they follow him and don't just kill him outright.

an·ti·christ (nt-krst, nt-)
n.
1. An enemy of Christ.
2. Antichrist The epithet of the great antagonist who was expected by the early Church to set himself up against Christ in the last days before the Second Coming.
3. A false Christ.

Other known definitions:
(Christianity) the adversary of Christ (or Christianity) mentioned in the New Testament; the Antichrist will rule the world until overthrown by the Second Coming of Christ

By this definition, Psycho Sid Vicious should have been the Antichrist.

I see what everyone means: Jeff Hardy isn't anything new, since he's the World Champion with a stable behind, the power of the company is behind him, and he's gone nearly full gothic. It's why I've always said he doesn't belong with Hogan and Bischoff as their chosen champion. If you had the choice who would you choose to lead your new evil company: the (arguably) greatest wrestler in the world who is nearly impossible to beat (Kurt Angle), an up-and-coming wrestler who can psych out anyone with words alone (Mr. Anderson) or a possible drug dealer who is athleticly gifted and has the popularity carried over from another company? (Jeff Hardy) I wish he'd wear more of the spandex gear instead of the tanktop, though. Right now he still looks like a loser guitarist in someone's garage.

By definition, Jeff Hardy COULD be the Antichrist if you take his whole body of work. He's always been the good brother, since he's NEVER been a singles heel (and even the one time he was a heel was largely forgettable) and has always had legions of fans following him and supporting him regardless. He could be considered a false prophet since he's always been the hero, the guy that comes back after a long fight kind of face. Now, he's led the fans astray by selling out to become World Champion. Too bad he already was a World Champion three times before in the other company, which takes away from the moment.

The gimmick would be much better if he A.) actually was the leader and mouthpiece of The Immortals (he's basically the head pawn to Hogan, Bischoff and Flair); B.) was much more vicious in the ring in terms of his style; and C.) was a more psychological force. I do like how he has the promos then he sneaks in the ring and attacks his opponents while they watch. He could do so much more, though, if they allow him to grow and do more.

2) If it is true then Hardy needs to talk more about the group's objectives.

That is true. Its about 3 PPV's into this immortal angle. Im still not clear on what they have left to accomplish. Since Hardy is what immortal revolves around, getting him to define some clear objectives that immortal has would be great. TNA can then work from there to better develop this whole angle.

By Hardy stating that he is the Anti-Christ of pro wrestling, IMO, he is stating that since he was such a fan favorite, and loved by most fans of pro wrestling, he is now turning his back on everyone who loved and admired him by becoming a Anti-Christ. Anti-Christ being against anything good in TNA.

Not to start a big religious debate here, but the term "antichrist" is only religiously involved depending on context. Hell, "christ" doesn't necessarily mean Jesus. Christ is the greek word for "anointed one" or "messiah," so it's really just a generic title that got permanently attached as a surname to Jesus, hence "Jesus Christ." It's basically like saying "President Obama" or "King Henry;" a combination of name and title.

"Antichrist" in Greek means, when broken down, "the opposite of the messiah." So please don't think Jeff is using it any way that has anything to do with Christianity, because he's simply calling himself the "anti-messiah" or "anti-savior" of pro wrestling.

I dont know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but I find Hardy's "new" gimmick to be a bit of a recycling of Vince Russo's "gimmick" from when he came into TNA. Look up Russo's debut on youtube to see what I mean. Then again, that's just my opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back