What is it that makes a World Championship a "world" championship?

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
I'm not sure if this is a discussion that's been had before or recently, but what is it that makes a world title a world title? I've talked to a number of people about this in the past and I've generally gotten three common responses:

1. A title is a "world" title simply if the promotion that controls it simply declares it to be so.

2. A title is a "world" title if it is has been defended in at least two countries other than the country it's based in.

3. A title is a "world" title only if it's been designated as so by Pro Wrestling Illustrated.

I'm curious to know what everybody's take is. For me personally, it's simply #1. There is no "official" or universally accepted means of granting "world" status to a championship. The truth is, I've never found ay sort of official or universally accepted means of declaring what's a "world" title in any sport. In professional boxing, there are about half a dozen major governing bodies and each one recognizes it's own world champion in all the various weight divisions. Nobody got together and sat around and said "This belt should be a world title because......" The head honchos of the bodies simply granted status to these titles.

How many times have we heard the winners of the World Series referred to as "world champions" in one media form or another? But are they really since every professional baseball team in every country that plays baseball professionally doesn't compete in the series? It's all a matter of perspective and, even though wrestling isn't a real sport, the same general principle of perception applies.

I think it's generally 2 or 3 but I really don't see why it matters as pro wrestling World Titles aren't exactly legit anyway. People make too big a deal over the prestige of a title that's determined by pre-determiend fake fighting tbh.

I can't just make a Backyard Wrestling Federation, and declare the title a world title. You either have to get a strong fan base that believes its a world title, or have some other entity with respectability declare it a world title. Also defending the title in more then one country certainly doesn't hurt.

In the states, it's easy that the WWE and World Heavyweight Championships are considered world titles. I think there is no question that to most, these are the two most important titles in the world currently, at least the two with the most value. The TNA Championship has only been in existence for two years now, but the title is defended during tours of Europe and Japan, and I think you'd find it hard to find people that didn't recognize that title as a world title. Hell, even the NWA title is still a world title.

Then you get to the blurry lines of ROH, where does that title belt stand in the World Title rankings? The ROH title is defended everywhere ROH goes, I believe its beend efended both in Europe and Japan, so does that make it a world title? I believe so.

Then you get into all of the Japanese and Mexican titles, and you get the point.

So for me, you either have to be the biggest company in the world and simply declare your title a world title, where most people will believe it regardless.

Or you go the route of the TNA's and ROH Championship, you have marginal success, defend the belt in multiple countries, and have a third party recognize your title as a world title. With the companies outside of the WWE, they usually have cross promotional feuds with different companies from different countries. TNA has a working Relationship with NJPW. When you have two companies from two countries fighting over the major championship from that company, it truly becomes a world title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back