• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What has he done?

jason305

Dark Match Winner
What has Triple H really done for the business? If you look at his entire career up until now what has he done that you could directly give him credit for. Sure he has had some great matches and will be in the HOF. But look at Hogan.He made wrestling famous. Austin & Rock are the 2 biggest reasons the WWE won the Monday night wars. Michaels has done various things for the business. Im not talking about main eventing or holding titles ect. Creative makes u a 13 time champion. Today Triple H still hogs the main event even and doesn't job to younger talent. You can read that on the IWC almost everyday. So what do you think he has done for the industry?
O and dont hate on me im not bashing Trips here and putting him down.

Nothing significant, but very few have. What have Shawn Michaels & The Undertaker done, really? If you're scraping the barrel Undertaker is the best gimmck wrestlers of all time and HBK was the pioneer of several gimmick matches, only they're not.

Jake does raise a good point about Undertaker and HBK not doing anything significant either. Sure HBK was in the first Ladder Match, Hell in a Cell, and Elimination Chamber but he hardly revolutionized them. When's the last time he has won a ladder match? The Undertaker has had a lot of gimmick matches in his career but he tends to come out the losing side of most of them. I believe he has never won a Buried Alive match but I can't be 100% sure. He's not that great in Hell in a Cell or Cakset matches either.

HHH has done anything real significant but it's not like he hasn't served any purposes. He's one of the wrestlers I believe in the past decade that you can place any other superstar with him, have a feud, and it will work. You can argue that some of the best matches The Rock, HBK, Mick Foley, and Steve Austin had were with HHH. He hasn't been great since his quad injuries but it times he has been servicable.

Like you said, creative made him a 13 time world champion, but creative does everything. No one really does anything without creative. You can not hate on wrestlers because they are not "doing" things for wrestling. If creatie does not decide to push you then you end up like Chavo and doing nothing. You have to understand that wrestling is fake and then you will not ask questions like; "What has HHH done for wrestling?" Most of those matches that you give Stone Cold and Rock credit for were against HHH!

You guys must be crazy.

Are you seriously telling me Taker/HBK havn't done anything for the business..???

Are we overlooking the top class matches they've had consistently over the decade or so that they've been there?

Selby

What he has done is given his life to the business. Sure he's never been one of the people to really make a difference to the industry, very few have, but he has always stayed loyal to the company and can be relied on to draw.

He was the top man in the company between Lesnar and Cena, some will argue he's bigger than Cena, I won't. He has consistently drawn and been over with the fans, his DX routine is still one of the most popular things in the company.

Loyalty and dedication are what HHH will be remembered for (the good things anyway) but he will never be mentioned alongside the likes of Hogan and Austin, nor will he ever come close.

It depends upon how you look at it. There really aren't anymore "firsts" left to do in wrestling and there are extremely rare instances in which a wrestler or wrestlers come along that completely change the game. Really, the latter really applies to guys like Hulk Hogan, The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin within the past 25 years or so. Whether anyone likes or dislikes them, all three of them changed wrestling.

As I said earlier, there are really no "firsts" left to accomplish in wrestling anymore. It's hard to be an innovator when there's nothing left to innovate. Ultimately, Triple H has been in some big feuds, some big matches and has made an overall impact in the business. To be honest, you can't really ask for more than that. As HBK and the Undertaker have been mentioned, it's generally the same thing with them. They didn't set the business on its ear, but each has had memorable feuds, matches, and so on and so forth. As for HBK, he's arguably the best overall pro wrestler of the past 20 years. I'm not saying it to start a debate about shit, it's just how it if when you look over the course of his career with an unbiased view. I can't recall the last time the guy had a bad match. As for Taker, I'd have to say he's had the most original gimmick of all time and is arguably the greatest "big man" of all time.

All these guys will be remembered for decades after their careers end, there's no doubt about that. However, there's nobody in wrestling today that's done anything to set the business on its ear.

Triple H will always looked at in a bad way due to the fact that he married the boss's daughter. However, he is very talented and without him Austin and Rock would have had to have someone else to fight against. Both Austin and Rock had memorable feuds with HHH. He is now at the level to where it will be hard to make him a heel but he is a great heel. I turned DX into a major stable after HBK left when he brought in the Outlaws and X'Pac. He may not be a merchandise saler outside of being with DX but he can work a great match.

Triple H is not Hulkamania Hulk Hogan, he is not Stone Cold Steve Austin, he is not the Peoples' Champ The Rock. He does not transcend wrestling into mainstream or non-wrestling culture. People who don't know wrestling wouldn't get it if you did his catchphrases, mannerisms, etc.

Neither did Ric Flair, Sting, Bret Hart, Ricky Steamboat, Roddy Piper, Bruno Sammartino, Buddy Rogers, Dusty Rhodes, Jesse Ventura or any other megastar wrestlers except for Hogan, Austin and the Rock.

Did Gorgeous George transcend "the business" back in his day? That's the only other possible example I could think of.

Yes Triple H has always been looked as a bad guy, but he's still with the company. He didn't leave for movies or shows or anything like that. He's been 100% with the WWE his entire career. Yes he has hogged the main event scene for a long time and hasn't put over really any young talent until recently, but he did help carry the company along when Austin and Rock left. Yes John Cena has been doing a lot, but he's been getting the young audience into the WWE while Triple H has kept the older fans around.

I would have to disagree with the slack being given to Undertaker and HBK. The key things those two have done for the business is do their part to make big stars. Austin needed Michaels to put him over at Wrestlemania and Vince knew that. Austin needed a good heel to get heat off of in the ring and the Undertaker (as well as a few others) did just that. Plus Taker has been asked and put over every big "potential" main eventer that has been put in front of him over the last 10 years. Look at every main event heel on smackdown since the brand split (and before). Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar, JBL, Edge, and now CM Punk. Taker has put them all over in WORLD title fueds (many of which he never gets the strap)

Michales held the world title once since his return and appears to have no interest in holding it again and look at all the talent he has put over and tried to make a star when Vince asked him to since his return. TRIPLE H, Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho, Randy Orton, Mr. Kennedy, Batista and after last month Legacy.

Now look at Triple H. Creative feeds him 13 title reigns (the majority of them being arbitrary in terms of importance) but what has he really done? and when I say "what has he done?" I ask who has he made? I mean really, he didn't make Cena (Cena was already over before their wrestlemania match) and I would argue that he didn't even make Randy Orton so much as Orton just being the top heel in the company. While HHH may have given his life to the business he hasn't done his part to make other stars to ensure that the business can survive long after he is done with in ring competition. He's 40 with two shot quads, his in ring prime was about 8 years ago. Whenever DX goes against Legacy Michales does the majority of the selling and if Legacy is set to go over they will go over on Micahels, never triple h.

So what has Triple H done for the business? I believe (from the outside looking in of course) HHH has given his life to a business that he loves, developed his skills, worked his way to the top, found a good place for himself in the business and now does his best to protect his own legacy in the business with the goal of breaking Ric Flair's record and controlling a large chunk of the business after his in ring days are done.

Why is it that wrestling fans always place so much emphasis on who 'transcenced' the business? Why don't we just care about THE BUSINESS. Ok, so people know Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold, and The Rock's name. BIG FRIGGIN DEAL! Do you think people care?? Do you think people can name two Hulk Hogan wrestlemania matches, let alone 5 career matches? Do you think people can name the first time The Rock and Stone Cold won their respective World Titles, etc?? No. They don't care about us so why do we always care so much about mainstream throwing us a bone? And it's because we care so much that we always compare undeniable all time greats like Shawn Michaels and HHH to people who got mainstream mention like The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin.. Now, I know it's not just about mainstream mention...it's also about how well the performers drew. But if you take this thread for instance, it seems that it's simply about how valuable their names are in the world or what they gave to society from wrestling and not about how valuable their names are within intelligent fans or EVEN HOW WELL THEY DREW.

Triple H has done ALOT for the WWE and therefore the business. So people mentioned Hogan, Rock and Austin more. Big deal. Just because people knew who they were doesn't mean they were even in the top 100 celebrities in America at their MOST popular, except maybe Hogan. So, here's my bottom line (More like a bottom paragraph)

Why do we care so much how popular someone's name value or the impact they've had on mainstream when mainstream at the end of the day, doesn't care about Austin, Rock, and Hogan as much as you all think they do? Virtually any BIG TV star, movie star, or musician would get top billing over the most popular wrestler any day of the week. So let's just focus on the business and stop talking about mainstream this and mainstream that. HHH is a legend, not just because he's a 13 time champion, but because he has had great matches, better fueds, he has his own style, he has genuine longevity, he tells a great story in the ring, amazing mic skills, and he has a passion for the business that maybe nobody can match. As for Michaels and Taker, come on now, let's not question what they've done just because they didn't have 15 seconds of WRESTLING MAINSTREAM fame like Austin, Hogan, and Rock. (And actually, just about everybody knows The Undertaker by name and gimmick too if that's so important)

Triple H has done something significant...he showed us that you can have as many title reigns as you want for as long as you want if you simply nail and marry the boss' daughter.

That's about it. He's only as good in the ring as his opponent (well, since his first quad injury...I will give him credit for putting over Jericho, TAKA, and Billy Gunn, even if he didn't lose the matches). He has HBK actually carrying the COMEDY aspect of DX, which was what Hunter has always done (even when he was "leading" DX, he was being outshined by Road Dogg and X-Pac's antics). The fact is, HHH is just so...bland and average.

HBK and Taker, on the other hand, have the ability to carry damn near anyone to a great match and both have no problem putting over a younger guy. Hell, Taker is often fed any new monster that enters the company, and has even on occassion taken a clean loss to them (Khali, Kozlov). HBK also had what should have been a career-ending back injury...but he came back and has been wrestling at almost the same level he was 10 years ago, something Hunter couldn't do after his first quad surgery.

Even before he hooked up with Steph and earned himself the ultimate Get Out Of Jail Free card in wrestling, I still wasn't a fan...something about Hunter just never impressed me. The only thing I can say about him is that he's all about the business, which is nice to see...he's all about the company and making the company look good. That may be the real secret to his longevity....

Nah, it's cause he's nailing Steph...possibly Shane...

Triple H has done something significant...he showed us that you can have as many title reigns as you want for as long as you want if you simply nail and marry the boss' daughter.

That's about it. He's only as good in the ring as his opponent (well, since his first quad injury...I will give him credit for putting over Jericho, TAKA, and Billy Gunn, even if he didn't lose the matches). He has HBK actually carrying the COMEDY aspect of DX, which was what Hunter has always done (even when he was "leading" DX, he was being outshined by Road Dogg and X-Pac's antics). The fact is, HHH is just so...bland and average.

HBK and Taker, on the other hand, have the ability to carry damn near anyone to a great match and both have no problem putting over a younger guy. Hell, Taker is often fed any new monster that enters the company, and has even on occassion taken a clean loss to them (Khali, Kozlov). HBK also had what should have been a career-ending back injury...but he came back and has been wrestling at almost the same level he was 10 years ago, something Hunter couldn't do after his first quad surgery.

Even before he hooked up with Steph and earned himself the ultimate Get Out Of Jail Free card in wrestling, I still wasn't a fan...something about Hunter just never impressed me. The only thing I can say about him is that he's all about the business, which is nice to see...he's all about the company and making the company look good. That may be the real secret to his longevity....

Nah, it's cause he's nailing Steph...possibly Shane...

Disagree highly with most of the remarks. HHH still puts on very good matches, he's still mobile in the ring (unlike a Batista or Big Show, god last week's smackdown match between the two was terrible) and he looks and plays the part well.

Furthermore, HHH is one of the best heels of all time. The McMahon-Helmsley faction heel run was the prototype! When he was a bad guy, everyone rooted HARD for the guys facing him because he was good and an asshole and tough to beat and you became real legit just by challenging him at the time.

Hell, I would argue that Jericho got ME credibility just for tweaking him all the time. When Y2J did get a shot at the big prize, he was more than believable because he'd given Trips hell.

I would agree that he has too much input in what goes on because of his marriage, specifically staying in the title scene too often AND staying a face. He's best as a heel and he knows it but he wants the cheers at this point and that's frustrating. I get it when people bash him.

But to say 'what has he really done?' is pretty proposterous in my humble opinion.

I personally don't like Triple H but where's theres credit to be given, give it. Triple H has given himself to the business yada yada but what does that actually mean?

To sum all your posts up, Please checkout this video. I'm sure some of you have seen it, but for those of you who haven't, Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvyfEW9zra4

Nuff Said.

Give credit where credit is due. HHH is one of the best in ring performers of all time. He tells great stories in the ring, is one of the best on the mic, and it's a plus for him to be married to the boss's daughter. Do I believe they're dragging his status a little too long? Of course...he's not as good as he was. But he's also (unlike Taker and HBK) a full time scheduled performer, which shows you he wants to work for and perform for the fans.

And when you think of it. Wasn't it HHH who put over Batista? Wasn't it HHH who helped in the career of Orton? Isn't he now putting over the future of the business with Rhodes and DeBiase? He's not in the same league as "transcending" the business as Hogan and Austin, but he's done enough to ensure the future of the wrestling business

Give credit where credit is due. HHH is one of the best in ring performers of all time. He tells great stories in the ring, is one of the best on the mic, and it's a plus for him to be married to the boss's daughter. Do I believe they're dragging his status a little too long? Of course...he's not as good as he was. But he's also (unlike Taker and HBK) a full time scheduled performer, which shows you he wants to work for and perform for the fans.

And when you think of it. Wasn't it HHH who put over Batista? Wasn't it HHH who helped in the career of Orton? Isn't he now putting over the future of the business with Rhodes and DeBiase? He's not in the same league as "transcending" the business as Hogan and Austin, but he's done enough to ensure the future of the wrestling business

How exactly did HHH help the career of Orton? Wasn't it HHH who kicked Orton out of Evolution after winning the title and took it from him only a month later. It took the Undertaker nine months to help build back up Orton after HHH tore him down. It's a slim chance that HHH and HBK will lose Sunday because it is inside the cell and you know their track record.

Thanks for all your opinions and thoughts on the matter and you all have good points. Look as a in ring competitor I don't doubt HHH one bit,I don't like him(I did like him as the cerebral assassin) but he has put on some great matches,he has had great fueds and all that.Like I said I'm not taking that away from him.Guys like Taker and Michaels behind the scenes they mentor the younger guys,give them tips ect.suggest who to push to Vince and take clean pinfall losses in the ring ect. so that is what they have done for the industry. look at the DX-Legacy fued. HHH wouldn't lose cleanly thats why they bought Michaels in eg. Breaking Point. Michaels tapped. Everyone on here complained about the same thing before. Im just saying if you look at it this way Hogan,Austin,Rock we all know what they did. Mick Foley to a degree made Hardcore wrestling. Taker,Michaels and even Jericho gives to the future stars of today. Cena is one of the main reasons we now have a PG era. I'm not talking popularity here ect. and I'm not talking matches ect. because then a guy like Matt Hardy is on the same level as HHH as Matt has given us some great matches. It's just I look at HHH and I don't really see him doing much for the Industry. Anyway thanks for your responses.

Uh... yeah... (sigh) Trips is part of creative, so in that... he is doing something. You put "What is he doing?" like he's going to make a phenomenal difference in the sport. In that, what has Samoa Joe done? What has CM Punk done? Triple H has had success, but I think your looking for something innovative... for example, it was Jericho's idea to do "Money In The Bank". If that's the kind of "doing something" you're talking about, Triple H has dome plenty. No, Austin & The Rock didn't move the Monday Night Wars, they helped... yes, they were a huge part... yes, but it took a whole lot to make that happen. They didn't build wrestling, wrestling built them...

Aside from Batista (HHH's close personal friend and a rather limited worker which would gurantee that HHH would still be needed) who has Helmsley made as a viable main eventer? I'm not asking for what has he done that was innovative in the business (he was a part od the original DX, nuff said) But who has he actually made. The job of main event talent (especially when they get older) is to help bring up new main event talent. Austin made HHH, Rock made HHH, Taker made HHH, Jericho made HHH, HBK made HHH, Foley made HHH. All these main-eventers and more were fed to this guy. Who has he made?

Easy hes done something proves if you bone the bosses daughter you can do whatever and have no consequence. But serriously HHH has done alot he kept alot of the fans that were around 10 years ago around. He didnt run to Hollywood like Austin or Rock did though there was his part in Blade 3. But he does take more ME spots than Title Matches look at DX in 06 they headlined all the PPVs they were at. And at HIAC they get a cell match when it should be a title match that should get it. But you gotta give HBK Taker Foley Austin and Rock credit cos they basicly made HHH into what he is now. And though he doesnt give young guys a chance he did give us the greatness that is Batista (jokes)

Aside from Batista (HHH's close personal friend and a rather limited worker which would gurantee that HHH would still be needed) who has Helmsley made as a viable main eventer? I'm not asking for what has he done that was innovative in the business (he was a part od the original DX, nuff said) But who has he actually made. The job of main event talent (especially when they get older) is to help bring up new main event talent. Austin made HHH, Rock made HHH, Taker made HHH, Jericho made HHH, HBK made HHH, Foley made HHH. All these main-eventers and more were fed to this guy. Who has he made?

Jericho making HHH is extremely laughable as is Taker but thats another discussion. What you're saying about HHH can be said about HBK and Taker as well? How many wrestlers have Taker and HBK put over? At least HHH put over Benoit and Batista but we still like to bash him for that don't we?

What has HHH done? Why he got in with the right group of guys; the kliq. He also watched over Shawn when he was Vince's prized possession in his drug days, stuck with Shawn during conference calls and creative sessions, and stayed after Shawn got hurt. He did work hard though and took beatings, wrestled a lot, and gave a lot of input. On a performance note he never stood out to me as something special in the ring. I was never impressed in the early days and wondered why Shawn even stuck with him before I switched over to WCW when Michaels got hurt.

Jericho making HHH is extremely laughable as is Taker but thats another discussion. What you're saying about HHH can be said about HBK and Taker as well? How many wrestlers have Taker and HBK put over? At least HHH put over Benoit and Batista but we still like to bash him for that don't we?

Wrestlemania 18: Jericho vs HHH. Nuff said. Oh, and also there Hell in a Cell Match from that same year. HHH had come back from a quad tear, he needed Jericho to help establish that he was back and Jericho did just that...again, Nuff said.

As for how many wrestlers Taker and HBK put over read my first post on this thread. He put over Batista...yep, again they are close friends and Batista's in ring limitations guarantee that HHH stock would not fall (yet Batista does have a great look). He put Benoit over, but as soon as that regin ended so did Benoit's push as a top guy. Now I don't know all the factors that led into that situation but when a top guy chooses to make a guy into a top guy that shit normally sticks. With HHH this is seldom (once) the case.

Wrestlemania 18: Jericho vs HHH. Nuff said. Oh, and also there Hell in a Cell Match from that same year. HHH had come back from a quad tear, he needed Jericho to help establish that he was back and Jericho did just that...again, Nuff said.

As for how many wrestlers Taker and HBK put over read my first post on this thread. He put over Batista...yep, again they are close friends and Batista's in ring limitations guarantee that HHH stock would not fall (yet Batista does have a great look). He put Benoit over, but as soon as that regin ended so did Benoit's push as a top guy. Now I don't know all the factors that led into that situation but when a top guy chooses to make a guy into a top guy that shit normally sticks. With HHH this is seldom (once) the case.

You mean that unspectacular WM 18 match and that highly forgettable Hell in a Cell match. I'm sure that helped established HHH as being "back".

Kurt Angle was already over when he faced Taker three years ago. Angle was even past his prime when he faced Taker. Brock Lesnar was mainly put over by Hogan and the Rock and Taker just followed that. The Undertaker/Edge feud wasn't as great as everybody thinks it was and it didn't really help Edge one bit.

I hope you're not suggesting that HHH is the reason Benoit wasn't a top guy after his reign ended. Benoit was a career mid-carder before that reign and he was one after just like Eddie Guerrero.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back