What do you want your legacy to be?

LSN80

King Of The Ring
When I interviewed for my first "formal" job after college, once pleasantries were exchanged, I was taken back when this was the first question I was asked. I wasn't asked what I could contribute to the agency, what made me a good candidate for the job, or why I wanted to work there. I was taken back, because this isn't a typical interview question. I began to answer the question as if they asked what I wanted to be remembered for at the agency, and was quickly interrupted. They didnt want to know what impact I would leave on their agency, but how i wanted to be remembered by friends and family once I passed away. At 21 years old, my legacy was one of the last things on my mind. I was looking forward to my future, not imagining how I would be looked at by others once my life was over. I stumbled and bumbled through my answer, and I can't honestly say that I remember what my response was.

A funny thing happened after that interview, however. One, by some miracle, I got the job. :p But more importantly, I began to think about that question on a fairly regular basis, and still do to this day. Also, it began to bring about a sense of change in my life. The more I thought about how I wanted to be remembered, I realized that the person I was at the time was far from the person I wanted to be remembered as. I was stubborn, arrogant, and selfish, amongst other things, and it reflected in the way I treated others. After being asked this question, however, I began to look at my past and present in terms of brick walls, ones that I had created for myself. Those walls were there for a reason, and the main one in my mind was there for me to show how hard I wanted to work to overcome the obstacles I had put in my way. And when I became cognizant of the "brick wall" between who I was and who I wanted to be, I began to work on breaking down those walls. Today, when I interview candidates myself, its the first question I ask them.

Think about it this way. When a loved one passes, friends and family gather to memoralize the person, then share stories and talk about the loved ones life. Funny stories are shared, qualities we admire are discussed, and we cry over the loss of the person and what they meant to us. In short, we're discussing their legacy. Im only 28, and there's a helluva lot I want to accomplish in terms of my own legacy. But there are a few things I know I want to be remembered for.

---- I want to be known for my compassion. Im in a job as a therapist where one would think compassion would be one of our biggest strengths. From the time I started school, we were taught detachment was the way to go. I won't, and can't be that therapist. I take pride in truly listening to others and attempting to connect with them and their feelings. I try to extend that same mentality towards my family, friends, and employees as well, and that compassion and caring is something I want to be remembered for.

----As simplistic as it sounds, I want to be remembered as a great husband and father. Ive been married for 4 years, and will be a father in 6 months. I want to be the guy who would make any sacrifice necessary to ensure my wife and child are taken care of, safe, and happy. If a crisis would respond in their life, Id be willing to take a break from work. Id be willing to sell my business, my house, and all my possessions if it truly was for their betterment. I want my wife to remember me as someone who was there for her in good times and bad, and my kids to remember me as someone who loved and accepted them unconditionally.

----Finally, I want to be remembered for my integrity. I can't change who I was in the past, but I can continue to change who I am in the here and now and in the future. I want my wife and staff to trust me completely, and never give them a reason to think otherwise. To be someone who gives his best in whatever he endeavors, makes the best of every situation, and makes others laugh when they're down. If I can look back at the end of my life and know others respected me and wanted to do things for me because of how I demonstrated integrity in the easy things and the hard, Ill be able to die a happy man.

But enough about me, Im curious to hear your thoughts on legacy, and what you want yours to be. Feel free to use the questions below to drive discussion, or take this in any direction you please.

What do you want your legacy to be when all is said and done?

Are you the person you want to be that will allow you to continue to further your legacy? What changes, if any, do you want to make to enhance your legacy?

If you were to die tomorrow, to whom is the legacy you leave behind the most important? Why?

Have fun with this!

Your legacy is what you leave behind after this life ends. All of the people who you interacted with, the things you said or did. Memories of you. Creations and ideas of yours. These are examples of legacies and how someone lives on even after they are long gone.

Exactly 11 years ago I came up with an idea for a fantasy story. That same story is now a fully playable 90 hour RPG game. Will that be my legacy? Perhaps. I wanted it to be. I want my legacy to be more than just some guy who made a video game though. I want to have made a positive impact in the lives of others. I strive to be a good person and a friend that people can count on because that is what I want to be remembered for, and for that memory to be part of my legacy.

Anyone can always improve due to none of us being perfect to begin with. I would like to think that I am the type of person I need to be in order to leave behind the legacy I desire to leave. I am not sure who my legacy will be the most important to, whether I died tomorrow or not. We are all just small pieces of a much larger picture in the grand scheme of things. The roles we play is for a higher power to ultimately decide.

Wow, that is indeed a brain scribbler, If somebody I asked me that question in an interview, honestly I would tell them that I would have to get back to them on that one. It would not be something I could just spill from my mouth on the spot without thinking long and hard about.

When it is all said and done, I don't want to be remember for more than what I was. Just me, a simple man who struggled throughout life like any other person who walks on this green and blue planet we call home. I'm always trying to better myself and the people around me as much as I possibly can. I'm trying to build on my character and add layer after layer. I would want to be remembered as that kind of person. A person who never gave up on the ones he loved. Someone who was there too help even if he had no help too offer. A kind a caring individual who lived to better himself and the people around him. A passionate, affectionate, self-less care free spirit. The type of person who tries to get a laugh out of the dingiest situation. Full of optimism for himself and the people around him. I think I speak for everyone when I say I would like to be remembered for the good I've done and not the mistakes I've made.

Are you the person you want to be that will allow you to continue to further your legacy? What changes, if any, do you want to make to enhance your legacy?

Never, I'm still young and my personality and character are forever changing and bringing new wisdom and virtue every new day. I'm not even the same person I was even one year ago. I'm always on a pilgrimage and venturing further into this world and finding new ways too understand it and its many people so I can better help understand myself and then use it to my benefit. As far as changes, I wouldn't be able to say, its not something I've predetermined for myself. I just let change happen, its usually never planned. I do have traits that I loath and have labored for so long to rid myself of. So many inhibitions and self indulged sins that I still long to relieve myself of. As I've already said, its all part of the self improvement plan I aspire too exercise over my life time. I know I'm not perfect and I'm not trying to be perfect, I just know I can be a better person than I care to admit. Its a life long journey as far as I see it...Its a work in progress.

If you were to die tomorrow, to whom is the legacy you leave behind the most important? Why?

I'm a bit puzzled. Which one of my friends or family would see my legacy as the most important to them? Or which one of my friends or family has the most important legacy to me?:shrug: I would answer but I'm not sure what exactly my answer would be,sorry, I just got off work and I'm a bit tired, so many my brain is just being lazy. If you were to elaborate then I would gladly post again and answer it.

Have fun with this!

It blasted my mind!

Perhaps it's too much to expect, but I would like to be remembered as being a good husband/father/friend that was fair, kind, laid back, and quick with a joke. On the career side of things, I'd like to be remembered as an artist, someone that made stories for movies and television that were original and not pure exploitation.

I think I'm on the right path. I'm in college, studying film, working on making films with friends and such. I'm hoping to get a good co-op with a production company so I might be able to land a job out of college.

As for the family man stuff, I'm not to worried about that right now as I don't plan to start a family for another 8-10 years or so. I kinda wish I had someone in my life right now, but she'd have to be really, REALLY special if I wanted to consider marrying her.

If I died tomorrow, I think people would remember me for being a smart guy, laid back, fun to joke around with, and a good son/brother/friend. I think the legacy I leave would be most important to my parents, because they'd like to know that I impacted more lives than just theirs.

Firstly, if any of you fuckers cry when I die sometime in the next 5 years, I will reincarnate as...something...and kick the shit out of you.

1. My policy always has been, and always will be, you honor the dead by living gloriously. When you cheer at a wrestling show, remember me. When the sun sets before the kick off of the first evening game of College Football, remember me. Do not be sad, furthermore embrace the things you know I loved, and love them as your own. Ill be at the Big MSG in the sky, none to fucking worry.

2. No stone was left unturned. I have saved lives, ended some, been all over the earth. The Ocean blue, the forest green, the scorching desert. I have lived, laughed, and loved more than any person could hope to in ten lifetimes. "Feast like a sultan I do, pleasures of flesh never few".....When I die, my only regret will be dying.

3. Crying is for *****es

My legacy? Being honest, I could give two motherfucks if anyone ever spoke my name again. The concepts and principles I have tried my absolute fucking damndest and dedicated the prime of my life to spreading, I hope the impacts of those resonate.

Those who I taught to belive in themselves, may they belive in themselves.

The acts of kindness I bestowed upon the needy, may they, themselves, spread kindness, and start a chain

the people who saw me do the right thing, against the grain and norm...May they not remember me, the person, but the concept that doing the right thing is always ok, popularity be damned. May they remember that there ARE real people who ALWAYS do what is right, and just, and that those people are normal human beings, just as they are....They, themselves, may they do the right thing, and start a chain

The individuals who I have come across whom are less than virtuous, whom I spoke to rather than took advantage of...May they too, respect and belive in themselves

The school I risked life and limb to build, may it teach the many.....May it teach them a new way of life, of thinking, of hope.

The kids who I interacted with, played with, carried to safer ground....May they learn that kindness and love spread beyond races, skin color, or whom you call God.

I care not if any of these people remember me, the man, the individual person. May my name never be spoken again. May the principles I have tried to help give creedance and credibility to resonate forever, so the world may be even just the tiniest bit better.

I could always be strong, more unyeilding. In mind, body, spirit. I work my damn ass off to be there, every day. When I work the hours I do, push myself to the limits I do, I do it to build character, my mind. unyeilding character.

Unyeilding strength, in mind, body, and spirit, is what I strive to get to. A little but more, every day, I think I get closer and closer.

Its not entirely unlikely.

I really dont know. As I have said before, I hope the people whom I impacted directly, or through actions, it will mean the most to them....and they will show that, by perpetuating it.

Besides that, not much of anyone, I would imagine, and I am totally fine with that. That is actually quite by design, that I dont have much of anyone close to me.

I hope that those who would care if I died remembered not much of me, only the things I tried to do for others, and carried that on in their own way. That is why I never leave my name...only, hopefully, a lasting image. A concept.

I want to be the guy who did the right thing even when it wasnt cool. I've always prided myself on being someone who relies on their judgement/morals to make decisions. I also would like to be remembered as a "made man" or what my fellow Urban Americans would call a gangsta. No, not selling drugs or hurting people, I want to be known as that guy who listens to himself and doesnt follow the heard.
See, I look at life as a process. You evolve with the world. So I think that as long as I keep living and adjusting to the world around me I'll be fulfilling my legacy. I dont believe in being fake, or picking up a persona to hide your true self, because in the end that doesnt really benefit you. However, if I look at someone and say "this guy really doesnt take BS from nobody" I'm going to learn how as a person, not a persona, he manages to be like that and maybe apply some of his policies to my personal life.

I guess to my close friends. Where I come from parents do two things, give you hell over everything and love the hell out of you so regardless of what you do their opinion of you wont change. The rest of the world doesnt really matter. We live in a time where everybody thinks they have to be disrespectful and push others to the limit. I know if I died a bunch of people from my past wouldnt hesitate to talk trash about me. Its those people who you spend the most time with that identify who you are and thats why it means a lot to me that the people who touched my life remember me in a bright light. I dont want to be glorified, but I think I was just raised in an environment where everybody refuses to be just another rolling stone.

.. I have never thought about this properly before.

It's 11:20 PM and I'm sleepy, but I felt like making this post before sleep.

My post is going to be quite similar to Lenguy's reply. He has pretty much said most of what I'd say. :)

I'd like to be remembered for who I was -

Someone who pushed people towards Optimism and was a wicked Secret Keeper.

Devoted to loved ones and someone who'd do almost anything to keep them happy.

The kind of person to lighten up a serious atmosphere with laughter.

I'm still young and have a long way to go, but hey, time flies. :/

I know I'll have a lot more of say in this topic a few years from now than I do at the moment.

Got my share of flaws and I still strive to be a better person, getting rid of those bad qualities in me, but it'd take some time. :)

If I were to die tomorrow, I'd be crying my eyes out (Yes Norcal, crying is for *****es, Lol xD) but about my Legacy,

I doubt I've had any great impact on anyone's life other than my Family or my close friends. So that would be them.

And LSN, my mind........... is in tangles. I'm not sleepy anymore.

I didn't even know what to say when I saw the questions and I'm really sorry if my reply's vague. :/

I think I'm done! :icon_mrgreen:

Sorry it took so long for me to hit this thread LSN, I wanted to do it when I wasn't rushed so I could really put some thought into it :) Also I have to say again, exellent thread!

The most important thing to me in life is family, so ultimatly I want to be remembered as a honest and caring family man who would do anything for his family.
I also want to be the kind of person that is so happy, genuine and caring to everyone I meet that my happiness rubs off on other people and brightens their day.
Lastly I want to be remembered by not just my friends and family, but by all of America for my accoplishments when all is said and done. Until recently I have never wanted any kind of fame, I didn't understand why people wanted everyone to know them and I was perfectly content with being know by just a few hundred people. However my feelings on that matter have changed and the reason is not for myself, but I want to be known and respected to bring a good name to my family and those close to me.

I do have some changes I have to make before I can achieve these goals, mostly with the happy one. For most of my life I have been that super happy/genuine guy, I almost won nicest guy at my high school but got beat by a girl because she was more popular :p But recently I have been so stressed about what i'm going to do with my life and how i'm going to get there that I have been very grumpy and pessimistic, and that is the last thing I want to be. My fiance is the most positive and optimistic person i've ever met(one of the reasons I love her so much) so i'm trying to be more like her to get back to my former happy self.

If I were to die tomorrow, my legacy would be most important to my fiance. She is the most important thing to me and she matters more than anything else. If there's one person I want to be proud of me and with what I accomplished it's her.

Leaving school two months ago; finishing after my exams, of course. I was voted as "Best Comedian", I'd like to continue this, so that when I leave earth or am locked away in my coffin, rotting into ash, that people remember some of my jokes. People remember when I made them laugh. People remember the time I... You know. Bringing a smile to peoples faces makes me happy, when I can get you to laugh, my mission is accomplished. Whether said comedy be immature or not, doesn't matter, comedy is comedy.

I want to be one of these people that doesn't have a mundane funeral full of flowing tears and discussion about that time I ate a biscuit. I want it to be a day where people and stand around, drink in their hand and hopefully reminisce about a time I made them laugh or how I said something which has stayed long in the memory. Its those people who are not forgotten.

And all the usual stuff. Want to be known as a great family man, friend, hard worker. But I think its only natural that someone would want these.

Yeah... Wait... No; I mean... Eh... I think so. I DON'T KNOW!

This is basically asking, "Do you think you're funny?" Honestly, it comes natural. Sarcasm is my greatest tool, it flows from my mouth like water from the edge of a cliff, most tell me I'm funny so I take it that I am. I have offended some people in the past, but they always get over it. And of course I think I'm hard working now; I'm only nineteen and believe in the power of protection so come back to me in seven years about the family man thing and I'll let you know.

I could probably improve as an overall friend to some. I don't feel the need to hang around someone I don't want to, I'm picky when it comes to who I share my oxegen with. If I dislike someone I stay away from them, if I hate them, I allow them to make the first move and see what happens from there. But with my friends, I've probably had a new "best friend" every freakin' year. My own fault as I usually just strand away from the former to someone who I find more interesting. But I should probably learn to balance the shit out somewhat.

Fuck you and your self-exploration questions. This is like asking me to find my inner self and slap him across the face. You won't like the inner TDS when you slap him.

I guess It'll be most important to my friends and family. Again, when it comes to the day of my funeral I'll know why. If people can remember me for what I've said and the manner which I apply myself and act, then I'll be looking up from a molten roc; I mean, looking down upon a cloud with a smile on my face.

I'm an easily please person.

Assuming that my time is years to come from now, I want my legacy to go down as one of the all time greatest pro-wrestlers in history. I don't care if that's from going through TNA, WWE, indies... or whatever... If my name isn't recognized as "One of the greatest of all time in wrestling" then my legacy needs more work. Sounds cliche, but right now, I'm not entirely too worried about anything else... except my son.

I like to think that I am, but in all honesty, everyone can stand to use some kind of improvements.

If tomorrow were the day I die, and I had the legacy to be remembered, I want it all to go to my son. Again, it sounds cliche, but I love my son to death.

This is a great thread! It really made me think!

This is a really tough question, I guess I would have to give it in two parts:

Part 1 is how I want my friends and family to remember me. When I'm dead, I want them to remember me as someone who was compassionate and caring. I want them to think of me as someone who put her loved ones above all else. My career goal is to work in broadcast television at a major network, but if I would gladly work at a local news station if it meant I got to have more time with my family.

Part 2 is how I want the world to remember me. Having a career in the entertainment industry (if I make it big), people will know who I am. When I die, I don't want people to remember me the way they remember most directors, producers, or writers. I don't want them to remember me as someone who gave the public what they wanted to make a quick buck. I want them to remember me as someone who made a difference, pushed boundaries, and had a true passionate for entertainment.

As far as my family goes, I need to work on putting others before myself. I tend to be a bit selfish and I release my anger on whoever is closest rather than whomever deserves it. The worst part is that I realize when I'm doing it and I realize that I'm wrong, but I can't stop myself. I've been working on this one for a little while now and I think it's improving haha.

As far as my career goes, the one thing I think I lack at the moment is confidence. I believe I have what it takes to be in the entertainment industry and to have a success career, but I my confidence lacks in social interaction. I basically can kill any conversation as soon as I talk and never know what to say next. I'm shy. Once I get more comfortable around people that totally goes away. This is something that I've developed more recently, I used to be able to start a conversation with anyone, I had no insecurities and I always knew what to say. I have to figure out how to get that back.

My fiance. His opinion is the only one that matters to me.

I want to be remembered as a father, a husband, and damn good actor/director/writer, there is nothing more important than these three things in my life, I'm doing whatever it takes to secure not only my future but the future of my children, throughout the years i've only barely scratched the surface of my own career and will continue to work hard in aiding myself in achieving this goal, in a couple of years i will reasses this and see what ways i can continue this without sacrificing my financial health and the health of my children who i've already placed alot of unneeded stress on.
No i'm not, due to alot of financial and emotional setbacks, but i'm on my way back the best thing to do when faced with adversity is to reasses and keep going, thats what im doing at the moment and thats what i will always do when faced with tough decisions, i see my kids daly and try to bring some normality to their lives due to my unfortunate circumstances with my ex.

The values i teach my kids, my father taught me nothing literally nothing, his words were mostly use the state for what its worth and use your children as a way to financial gain, Ive gone against his teachings and work for my children no matter how medial, how off the wagon the job is I will work rather than be on state income.

I will also hope they understand that hapiness comes with self worth, believe in yourself and you can achieve your dreams no matter what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back