What Do You Think About The Final Destination Film Series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
I was browsing the Internet earlier today, and I came across some info about the next Final Destination film. The film is going to called 5nal Destination(what a terrible name) and this film is going to hit theaters next summer. While I was reading this piece of news, I began to think about the entire film series, and the impact it's had on horror film history.

Now for those of you who have never seen a Final Destination film, the premise is always the same. The main character or hero has a premonition about their friends/family dying in a horrible way at the beginning, and he or she tries to help themselves, and the doomed victims cheat death. The acting is never usually good or passable in these films. Most people (including myself) just watch these movies to see the grisly deaths.

Has Final Destination had a significant impact on the horror film industry?

When I was younger, I used to love these films, but over the years, I've grown tired of them. The last Final Destination film was just not good, and if you ask me, 3D was really the only entertaining aspect of the movie. Final Destination films can be redundant, and each one is so predictable. I guess you could say Final Destination has a fan following, but I wouldn't say this series has had an impact at the level of other horror franchises such as, Halloween, Friday The 13th, or A Nightmare On Elm Street.

My favorite Final Destination film was Final Destination 3. The performances in FD3 were pretty solid, and the high school tragedy involving the roller coaster story was done well. Also, the suspense towards the end was built up in a nice way. Final Destination 2 is a close second for me, and I would have to say that The Final Destination 3D was my least favorite. It was just absolutely terrible.

What are your thoughts on the Final Destination film series?

What's your favorite and least favorite Final Destination film?

I love the first two films, but the third film was garbage and I had little interest in seeing the newest installment. The original two were very fun and creative for the type of story and gore they were giving the audience, but somewhere along the way, like many franchises they just began to phone it in and it became dull. I for one can only see people be killed a certain way so many times until I lose all interest in watching it.

As for Final Destination's place in horror history, I truly believe the first two films have landed a solid spot on any real horror movie lists. They were fresh and creative at the time they came out and were a very fun watch. In fact, it was fun just picking those movies a part for the clues of possible ways of dying. However, the more recent movies are easily forgotten, and I personally feel that is not a bad thing.

I will always love the first two films. They have a special place in my heart when it comes to horror movies, but the franchise as a whole needs to die off because it has become stale. And even though Final Destination is not necessarily a top tier horror movie, it is not one that should be overlooked.

Enjoyable garbage. I watched the first one recently, like 3 years ago, and I came to the conclusion the series improved when they made it more lighthearted. The first one is actually quite po-faced.

Personally I like the third best, Mary Elizabeth Winstead is dreamy and everybody dies at the end. Although the first does have a couple of stand out moments. The bus scene and the final death.

The first movie was really better than people will ever give it credit for. It had a lot of stand-out actors/actresses that have become mainstream, or were mainstream since that film.

Devon Sawa, (Casper, Idle Hands) Ali Larter, (House on Haunted Hill, Varsity Blues) Seann William Scott, (American Pie) even Kerr Smith for you television buffs out there. (Charmed)

The talent was the best the film series ever had, and thus I believe it was the best of the 4. Now, to be honest I thought the death sequences got better as each film went on. Mainly because over the course of them, thats what they boiled down to - senseless death scenes.

The first and second movies were the only two that truly had a tie-in theme. Ali Larter's character. The rest may of mentioned situations regarding them, but never had any actual tie-in's.

If I had to rate them, it would literally go in order of the actual timeline. (1, 2, 3, 4) I suppose I liked the 2nd film slightly more if I truly think about it, but only because they tried getting creative with how to cheat death at the end.

Four, or the 3D film was by far the worst yet. Not only could you see the majority of death scenes coming before they actually did - they tried turning it into more sadistic humor than an actual suspense/horror film. It was almost like a spoof in and of itself, of its very own franchise.

Figured the movie called The final destination was going to be, you know the Final one...

i actually like the film series. The one with the Rollercoaster was only the second movie I have watched twice straight after the first one. I know what's going to happen in them but I find them still enjoyable to watch.

I'm fucking hopeless recognizing actors in movies, So to me it don't matter if it's brad pitt or some homeless guy off the street. It's the storyline behind the movie I like and this series seems to get me hooked.

I would be ling if I said that I had seen all of the movies but I have seen up to the 4th one. For a series of movies that is slated all the time, I would say that is pretty damn good.

Since the first Final Destination movie was released, I have really liked the premise of each of the movies. I went to the cinema to see the first and third one, which I thought were quite good at the time. They are not the best movies. The acting is sometimes pretty lax and the story is a little convoluted from time to time. However, I still cannot help but like the movies. Sure, some of the movies were negatively reviewed by multiple sources but I think that they are criminally underrated.

I don’t think they have changed the horror movie genre forever. I mean, these movies were swept under the carpet a lot of the time and although people watched them to see someone getting killed in a pretty awesome way, that could be found in any other horror movie. It’s the premise of this movie that sets it apart from the rest of the horror genre. It is a genuinely terrifying premise that death is trying to catch up with you and you have to keep trying to avoid it. It’s a bit scary thinking about anything that could kill you at any time but apart from that, I really don’t think that it has revolutionised the genre.

I must admit that my favourite one is definitely the first. It was the movie that started it all off and the movie which I latched onto through the series. It is also the movie that is talked about most in the other movies and some of the deaths were just downright brilliant. For me, it had a better cast that all of the other ones and just was a better movie. I wouldn’t say I disliked any of them though, Sure, they were repetitive but they were pretty damn good movies, If I do say so myself.

I LOVED the first Final Destination film. I saw it at the theater when I was, what, 14 or 15 and I was just blow away. I thought it was beyond awesome.

As Will mentioned, first of all it had an amazing cast. Devon Sawa was perhaps my favorite actor at the time (lol), being in movies like Idle Hands (my all time favorite comedy-horror), Wild America, Little Giants, and Casper. I loved all those movies growing up, lol. Then you had Ali Larter, who was perhaps the sexiest woman on the face of the Earth to me at that time after seeing Varsity Blues. Kerr Smith, who in hindsight I'm a big fan of today than I was back then. And Sean William Scott, who is my favorite comedic actor today.

So, yeah... I loved the cast back then, and even more so to this day. So that's one thing, but more importantly.. the first film was just original. We never seen anything like that before. Parts 2, 3, and 4, instead of giving us new twist and turns to it, they're just repetitive as shit and only looking for cooler kills, rather than improving the story. That's why, to me, all the sequels up to this point have sucked complete balls. There's nothing fresh or original about them, and you already knew how each one was going to turn out. Did they have some cool kills? Sure, but that's all any of the sequels had to offer. Even the actors in each sequel sucked ass (with the exception of Mary Elizabeth Winstead from part 3).

And as far if they had an influence of horror movies today... nah, I don't see it. Horror movies have always looked to come up with creative ways for people to die... Final Destination wasn't the first to do that. The only movie I would say Final Destination influenced was that piece of shit The Happening, but that's not necessarily a good thing.

Has Final Destination had a significant impact on the horror film industry?

No.

What are your thoughts on the Final Destination film series?

I thought the first two were good times, I thought the third one was horrible (save for the two blond chicks whose thongs always peeked out from their jeans), and I never saw the fourth one (I was too lazy to go an pick up a pair of 3-D glasses from my cable provider, so I skipped it).

What's your favorite and least favorite Final Destination film?

The first one had the best writing and acting, but the second's my favorite because of how much they upped the gore factor. Obviously, the third one's my least favorite at the moment.

I've only seen the first 3 movies...and I have to say that the fist was the best, the third was a close second, and the second was the worst, but it was still OK.

The second almost felt cartoony with all the events that led up to each death...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back