Favorite Horror Film(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're confused, I'm talking about the original Halloween. I think Rob Zombie's remake was a masterpiece. In his version there WAS a story and there WAS actual characters.

You've got to be fucking kidding me. You consider the remake to be a MASTERPIECE? Wow. Simply wow. I'm a diehard Halloween fan and even I know the remake was B-movie trash at best. The second half isn't bad, but the entire Myers childhood part of the film is so bad it's actually laughable. Turning the Myers family into a white trash bunch of rednecks is simply idiotic.

When did I complain about it being influential? What I said was:

When people say "that's not to say", it means that the upcoming statement isn't releated to their point.

You also said in your original post that Halloween hasn't aged well over time, despite it's influence. You're criticizing a film for being "outdated" when it was one of the first of it's kind. Pretty ignorant.

Why? Because you disagree? O...k...I guess I have no response for that logic lol.

Or, you know, you could actually respond to my point. But you don't know what you're talking about, so it's natural you wouldn't respond.

Lack of plot in a film is absurd??? I...don't even know what to say to that. But dude, you could save a ton of money. Stop paying to see movies, just stare at the wall.

Yeah, it is absurd to complain about a lack of a complex plot in A FUCKING HORROR FILM. If that isn't asinine, I don't know what is. Would you like to start criticizing the lack of plot in Dracula as well? How about Frankenstein?

Some of the most frightening films are those that don't show you everything, including the plot. Something horrible without an explanation is a thousand times more frightening then delving into Myers backstory like Zombie did, which fucking ruined it. Sorry, but seeing white trash Myers killing small animals and crying to his mother doesn't exactly make him a frightening character.

It certainly doesn't need to be "grand and deep". All I ask is that it exists.

And a plot does exist. Are you seriously debating that?

I'm sorry but anyone who finds Horror flicks "FRIGHTENING!" is either under 12, a chick, or a huge pussy. I watch Horror movies like I watch any other movie; to be entertained. A dude roaming around town killing people for no apparent reason doesn't entertain me and it certainly doesn't scare me.

The POINT of a horror film is to frighten you. THAT'S where the entertainment comes from. That's awesome that you're such a hardcore badass tough guy that nothing can scare you, all that means is you're full of shit really though. Tell you what, go watch the film Men Behind the Sun, and tell me how "entertaining" it was.

Wow how can I argue with such a brilliant point as that? :rolleyes:

And you've shown you have the mental maturity of a 7 year old. Seriously dude, if you still wet your bed having nightmares about the boogeyman, that's fine but I'm juding Halloween as a film and we AGREE that it has no plot. In my opinion, that means it sucks. If you disagree, fine. I think you judge movies based on the criteria of a child but suit yourself.

I'm sorry, but anyone who's going to sit here and recommend piece of shit films like Otis to people and then slam the original Halloween is a fucking moron. There's no debating that.

We get it, you're so hardcore and tough that nothing in the world could ever frighten you. Awesome. Don't fucking watch horror films then, go online and watch execution videos if all you're looking for is to watch gore.

I'd love for you to explain to me in detail what about the original Halloween makes it a poor film. So far the only thing you've said is that it doesn't have a plot...except it does. But please, I'd love to hear how you know more about film than every single film expert and critic, this should be a fun read.

And if the critics like it, it MUST be good!:rolleyes:

When 99.9% of them do? Yeah, it probably is. If something is bad, odds are someone is going to see that. When a film receives as much acclaim as Halloween however, that tells you something: that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

The Sleepaway Camp series is one of the most highly praised by Horror fans. But I know Ebert didn't give it two thumbs up so I wouldn't expect you to like it. We obviously have different tastes (well, I probably would have agreed with you when I was 7) and that's fine, there's no need to throw a hissy fit and name-call.

What's humorous here is that I actually love the Sleepaway Camp series, and own the original trilogy. The second film in particular is one of my favorite cheesy B-movie slashers ever. But the new film, Return to Sleepaway Camp...that was fucking abysmal. That was one of the worst films I've ever seen, even by B-Movie standards. You want to talk about lack of plot? What the fuck was the plot in that film?

I've seen literally every genre and theme of horror film that exists, from the goriest most disgusting films like Nacho Cerda's Aftermath or Cannibal Holocaust, to suspense films like Spoorloos. But yes, continue to tell me about how the boogeyman frightens me. If you actually think it's the Myers character himself that frightens people, well, then you're even more stupid then I originally accounted for. Myers is nothing but a representation of evil; and if you want to delve further into it, he's a Puritanical symbolization of evil (it's no coincidence that he just so happens to start killing people on the Pagan celebration of Samhain).

But, I get it, it's too difficult for you to actually analyze a film. Unless some fat kid is slitting someone's throat, you aren't interested. Awesome. You keep your Faces of Death videos, and the rest of us will continue to enjoy a film for what it truly is, and that is a work of art. I actually feel sorry for you that you can't even attempt to analyze a film.

You've got to be fucking kidding me. You consider the remake to be a MASTERPIECE? Wow. Simply wow. I'm a diehard Halloween fan and even I know the remake was B-movie trash at best. The second half isn't bad, but the entire Myers childhood part of the film is so bad it's actually laughable. Turning the Myers family into a white trash bunch of rednecks is simply idiotic.

Actually, the first half of the film was the best half and I wish Zombie would have been able to go with his original plan of having the childhood years be the whole film. He took a simple little Slasher flick and turned it into a masterpiece. He treated the characters as characters instead of just "good guys and bad guys". And the further character devolpment in H2 was brilliant and gave the series a more realistic feel.

You also said in your original post that Halloween hasn't aged well over time, despite it's influence. You're criticizing a film for being "outdated" when it was one of the first of it's kind. Pretty ignorant.

How is that ignorant? The film was made for shock value and it's now worn off. But to be honest, even if I did see the film when it came out, I probably still wouldn't have been impressed. I'd take TCM over Halloween anyday.

Or, you know, you could actually respond to my point. But you don't know what you're talking about, so it's natural you wouldn't respond.

I did respond to your "point", if you can't comprehend it, that's your problem.

Yeah, it is absurd to complain about a lack of a complex plot in A FUCKING HORROR FILM.

You're obviously not a Horror fan then.

Some of the most frightening films are those that don't show you everything, including the plot. Something horrible without an explanation is a thousand times more frightening then delving into Myers backstory like Zombie did, which fucking ruined it. Sorry, but seeing white trash Myers killing small animals and crying to his mother doesn't exactly make him a frightening character.

This is your opinion and that's fine but most people over the age of 7 don't agree with it.

And a plot does exist. Are you seriously debating that?

Maybe because you're using lack of plot as a reason to hate the film.

Well I wasn't debating it because you agreed with me...

Can you at least try and comprehend your side of the argument? lol.

The POINT of a horror film is to frighten you. THAT'S where the entertainment comes from. That's awesome that you're such a hardcore badass tough guy that nothing can scare you, all that means is you're full of shit really though. Tell you what, go watch the film Men Behind the Sun, and tell me how "entertaining" it was.

Again, if you think the only point of a Horror film is to scare you, you're not a real Horror fan.

Wow how can I argue with such a brilliant point as that? :rolleyes:

You can't but that hasn't seemed to have stoped you before lol.

I'm sorry, but anyone who's going to sit here and recommend piece of shit films like Otis to people and then slam the original Halloween is a fucking moron. There's no debating that.

You're right, there is no debating that because it's an opinion stated with nothing to back it up.

We get it, you're so hardcore and tough that nothing in the world could ever frighten you. Awesome. Don't fucking watch horror films then, go online and watch execution videos if all you're looking for is to watch gore.

I've said nothing about gore this entire time. Making things up isn't an effective form of argument.

I'd love for you to explain to me in detail what about the original Halloween makes it a poor film.

I've stated it many times, I'm not gonna keep running around in circles while you try and stall so you can backtrack some more.

When 99.9% of them do? Yeah, it probably is. If something is bad, odds are someone is going to see that. When a film receives as much acclaim as Halloween however, that tells you something: that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

And were these critics Horror fans? ;)

What's humorous here is that I actually love the Sleepaway Camp series, and own the original trilogy. The second film in particular is one of my favorite cheesy B-movie slashers ever. But the new film, Return to Sleepaway Camp...that was fucking abysmal. That was one of the worst films I've ever seen, even by B-Movie standards. You want to talk about lack of plot? What the fuck was the plot in that film?

So now plot does matter?

Yeah, keep backtracking, it's really working for you.

I've seen literally every genre and theme of horror film that exists, from the goriest most disgusting films like Nacho Cerda's Aftermath or Cannibal Holocaust, to suspense films like Spoorloos.

I've probably watched more Horror films in the last year than you've watched in your lifetime and from the things you've been saying, it's quite clear you're not a true fan of the genre.

But, I get it, it's too difficult for you to actually analyze a film. Unless some fat kid is slitting someone's throat, you aren't interested. Awesome. You keep your Faces of Death videos, and the rest of us will continue to enjoy a film for what it truly is, and that is a work of art. I actually feel sorry for you that you can't even attempt to analyze a film.

And I feel sorry for you that you have the mind of a child and can't debate something without throwing a temper tantrum and insulting the opposition. And I'm done. I'll agree to disagree but seriously, grow up.

Actually, the first half of the film was the best half and I wish Zombie would have been able to go with his original plan of having the childhood years be the whole film. He took a simple little Slasher flick and turned it into a masterpiece. He treated the characters as characters instead of just "good guys and bad guys". And the further character devolpment in H2 was brilliant and gave the series a more realistic feel.

A masterpiece? A fucking masterpiece? Are you kidding me? Having Michael Myers mother as a stripper and an abusive stepfather in a white trash family, that's brilliant? Seriously? Have you taken a look at some of the writing in that film? It's fucking laughable. It's typical Rob Zombie "white trash R Us" background writing, it's the same shit he's used in every single film he's made. But yeah, I know lines like "Don't make me come over there and skull fuck you!" are just so brilliantly written and so indicative of the brilliant plot.

How is that ignorant? The film was made for shock value and it's now worn off. But to be honest, even if I did see the film when it came out, I probably still wouldn't have been impressed. I'd take TCM over Halloween anyday.

You keep saying it was made for shock value...but it wasn't. Go on, find me one shred of evidence that Carpenter and Hill made the film for shock value. You can't, because that wasn't their reason for making he film.

TCM over Halloween anyday? Aren't you the same person that was just criticizing Halloween for having no character development or plot? TCM has even less of those two things. There's zero character development whatsoever, and the entire plot is "Teenagers van breaks down, they get killed by guy iwth chainsaw. End of film"

Your hypocrisy here is stunning.

I did respond to your "point", if you can't comprehend it, that's your problem.

No, you didn't. You've also conveniently decided not to respond to many points in my last post, probably because you realized you have no legs to stand on in your ignorant opinion.

You're obviously not a Horror fan then.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Oh man, that is fucking rich. You clearly do not know me at all. I've seen more and forgotten more horror films then you've likely seen films of every genre combined in your life.

This is your opinion and that's fine but most people over the age of 7 don't agree with it.

Actually, it's the exact opposite. Kids would be far more frightened by in-your-face violence then they would be from an underlying tone of suspense from something like a Hitchcock film. Seriously, do you even have a rudimentary understanding of film? It's clear you don't.

But yes, explain to me how 7 year olds can't get enough of Vertigo or Spoorloos and their wonderful grasp of tone and themes. Should be a fun read.

Well I wasn't debating it because you agreed with me...

Can you at least try and comprehend your side of the argument? lol.

Except I wasn't using lack of plot as a reason for why the film sucked. Did I say lack of plot was a reason for it being a bad film? Nope, I sure as hell did not. What I DID point out however was your hypocrisy once again. You criticize films like Halloween for "lack of plot", and then you praise films with just as little plot. Perhaps you can't comprehend the idea of hypocrisy though.

Again, if you think the only point of a Horror film is to scare you, you're not a real Horror fan.

Coming from the guy who recommends Return to Sleepaway Camp and calls the Halloween remake a masterpiece? Please, you have no place to talk, your opinions are so in the minority of the horror community, you'd be ripped to fucking shreds if you posted this bullshit on Bloody-Disgusting or something.

But yes, please inform me of how I'm not a "real" horror fan. Love to hear that one.

I've said nothing about gore this entire time. Making things up isn't an effective form of argument.

Every film you've praised thus far has featured a good amount of gore, and every film you've criticized hasn't. It's called inference. Do you know what that word means?

I've stated it many times, I'm not gonna keep running around in circles while you try and stall so you can backtrack some more.

No you most certainly have not. The only explanation you've given is that the film doesn't have a plot (except it does) and that there isn't much character development. You haven't in any way described what makes Halloween a bad film, aside from saying "It sucks blah blah it wasn't scary blah blah". But I can't expect you to be intelligent enough to form a critical analysis of a film that isn't laughable.

And were these critics Horror fans? ;)

Yep. You talk to any horror critic, you go to any horror website, any horror forum, any horror festival, or any place on this planet where there are horror fans, and they will tell you that Halloween is a masterpiece.

So now plot does matter?

Yeah, keep backtracking, it's really working for you.

You're really not good at this whole "context" concept are you? Because you've failed to grasp it yet.

Again, I'm pointing out your hypocrisy. You criticize one film for having lack of plot, and then praise another. Is this really so hard for you to understand, or are you just not a very good reader?

I've probably watched more Horror films in the last year than you've watched in your lifetime and from the things you've been saying, it's quite clear you're not a true fan of the genre.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Hilarious, fucking hilarious. Explain to me how I'm not a true fan of the genre. I've forgotten more horror films then you've seen junior, seriously if it were possible right now I'd challenge you to a trivia showdown.

Claiming I don't know anything about horror films...fucking hilarious. You really don't know who you're talking to right now junior, because I know more about film then you could ever hope to. This is painstakingly obvious by your claims that the Halloween remake is a masterpiece.

And I feel sorry for you that you have the mind of a child and can't debate something without throwing a temper tantrum and insulting the opposition. And I'm done. I'll agree to disagree but seriously, grow up.

Of course your done, you've been thoroughly trounced by everyone in this thread with your terrible opinions which you can't supply even a shred of evidence.

Oh, but you know what's even more hilarious? The fact that you're an alternate account, just as I suspected. Should have figured it was someone as stupid as yourself ShockTheMonkey/HansChristianFrankenstein. Enjoy your banning for making yet another alt account you fucking idiot.

List yours.

1). Friday the 13th - I believe this movie was the goriest of them all , and the lakeside killer is a classic.
2). Halloween- The first Halloween I did not get, the remake explained Michael s childhood a bit more overall it was a pretty good horror film.
3). Child's Play- Chucky, is really amusing and the scenario of a dummy coming to life is always cool.
4). A Nightmare on Elm Street - once again Freddy is really amusing, and the deaths were always creative.
5). Leprechaun- Really funny movie , so funny it's scary
6). Texas Chain-Saw Massacre- Goriest movie of them all, but I didn't really like the story.
7). The Grudge- Great story, and the pop out scenes always got to me.

that's all mine.

2). Halloween- The first Halloween I did not get, the remake explained Michael s childhood a bit more but he it was a pretty good horror film.

Really? That was the point of the whole movie was to not understand it. Sure a 7 foot tall guy with a butcher knife is scary and all, but IMO a 5 foot tall guy with unexplained powers,superhuman strength, and a butcher knife coming at you for no reason is a hell of a lot scarier. That is the whole reason that it is my favorite horror movie of all time, and terrified the shit outta all through childhood.

I loved every Friday The 13th, even the dumb ones. Again it all comes down to a maniac with a machete trying to kill you for no reason.

I enjoyed the remake of The Hills Have Eyes. Not the sequel, which was disturbing in a way that made me want to shut off my TV. The "first" one which came out in 2006.

Other than the rape scene in the near beginning, which I abhor rape scenes, the rest of the movie is a fun ride in my opinion. As soon as the father of the baby hits the internal switch and turns from a soft yuppie into a mutant-killing badass, the action picks up. I just love the scene where the mutant is running around the corner, and the father slices right through his leg with the axe. I can't pinpoint why but that is awesome shit.

It's hard for me to pick but my default answer is:

Psycho. It's not even my favourite Hitchcock film but it is the one that introduced me to his work and he has been in my top 5 directors ever since. I guess that the personal connection I have to the film is a very strong influence on why it is my favourite. I saw this for the first time when I was about 6 or 7 and very few other films have ever given me the feeling of so-intense-but-I-can't-look-away as the famous shower scene has. I was totally scared and completely intrigued and to me, that is what any good horror/suspense film needs to find: a way to balance the two. We get one of cinema's greatest villains in Norman Bates. We get a brilliant soundtrack which is one of my all-time favourites. We get a shit load of suspense. I could watch this a million times and at the very least I watch it every year.

Some may not consider it a horror movie but I do considering its lasting impact on my life but my favorite horror movie is Jaws. I saw this movie when I was about 5 or 6 and it absolutely terrified me. Considering I spent a lot of my time in Florida where the majority of my family lives it simply ruined the water for me. After watching it I developed a severe fear of the ocean and to this day refuse to go in it even though I know the odds are very slim that a 30 foot great white is going to devour me.

Jaws is a movie that I love to death and have to watch just about every month but it has also shaped my life. I love sharks because of Jaws but will not go in the same water as them. It may sound childish or whatever but its the truth.

This is an easy one for me. JAWS. Not because of the huge amounts of gore (of which there isn't), but because of psychological impact it had on Americans going to the beach. To this day, there are people who refuse to go into the ocean to swim, because they once saw Jaws. People are refusing to swim 35 years after the movie originally came out, because of a mechanical shark that didn't work right that was only on camera during the movie for what, a minute at best? That my friends, is a true horror film. Horror isn't simply blood and guts and knifes and machetes. Horror is pyschological, a good horror film should mess with your mind. No movie I have ever seen has done that as effectively as Steven Spielberg's masterpiece.

I personally have to go with The Devils Rejects i mean it had parts of it that were scary and creepy but it also tied in a sense of humor. I mean captain Spalding is the funniest character ever in a horror film and i have to say a close second is the Exorcist i mean that movie was made in the 70's and it can still scare the shit out of me till this day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back