Favorite Horror Film(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly, I have yet to see Old Boy or Ichi The Killer.

Oldboy is actually directed by Chan-wook Park, not Takashi Miike. Oldboy is a film that is simply undefinable, and a true masterpiece. Like Let the Right One In, it defies classification.

I've only watched it about 5 times, so I guess it hasn't had time to wear thin on me. The scene you're referring to, with the bag, was listed on AFI's 100 Scariest Movie Moments ever. It is definitely the biggest symbol of the horror in that movie, but there's so much more around it. Like sawing the guys foot off with twine.

The gore didn't really frighten me, after you've seen films like Nacho Cerda's Aftermath, no gore could ever frighten me again. I'm pretty sure there's no violence left to offend me :lmao:

Oldboy is actually directed by Chan-wook Park, not Takashi Miike. Oldboy is a film that is simply undefinable, and a true masterpiece. Like Let the Right One In, it defies classification.

Mentioning Oldboy was more directed at tdigs than the director. I know it's a classic movie, and I've read and heard nothing but great things about it, and he's been trying to get me to see it for months now. I just can't find it. You find it somewhere cheap, send me a link, and I'll make sure to pick it up.

Have you seen Feast 2 yet? I heard about a year ago it got the greenlight, but I don't know if it was ever finished, or how it was it if it did get done...

Mentioning Oldboy was more directed at tdigs than the director. I know it's a classic movie, and I've read and heard nothing but great things about it, and he's been trying to get me to see it for months now. I just can't find it. You find it somewhere cheap, send me a link, and I'll make sure to pick it up.

If you don't mind watching movies on your computer I could find you a copy. Odd that you can't find a copy, it's a pretty famous movie, even my local Blockbuster has it. Try any place that has a decent horror DVD collection, do you have any Newbury Comics down there? Probably not, more of a Boston/New England thing.

Have you seen Feast 2 yet? I heard about a year ago it got the greenlight, but I don't know if it was ever finished, or how it was it if it did get done...

Actually they've already made and released both Feast 2 and Feast 3, but I haven't gotten around to seeing either of them yet. I've heard good things about both of them though. If you liked Feast, you'd probably like Slither. Also, kind of random, but have you ever seen the first Tales From the Crypt film, Demon Knight? Because that's a lot like Feast and is a really fun little movie, so much better than the terrible second film Bordello of Blood with fucking Dennis Miller. If you haven't seen it though I'm sure you'd really like Demon Knight, Feast reminds me alot of it.

If you don't mind watching movies on your computer I could find you a copy. Odd that you can't find a copy, it's a pretty famous movie, even my local Blockbuster has it. Try any place that has a decent horror DVD collection, do you have any Newbury Comics down there? Probably not, more of a Boston/New England thing.

We have Blockbuster, and that's it. I usually buy all my movies there, and they definitely do not have it. The manager didn't even know what it was :(

I don't mind watching stuff on the computer though. If I can get a copy there, I can always burn it, so I have it for elsewhere.

Actually they've already made and released both Feast 2 and Feast 3, but I haven't gotten around to seeing either of them yet. I've heard good things about both of them though. If you liked Feast, you'd probably like Slither. Also, kind of random, but have you ever seen the first Tales From the Crypt film, Demon Knight? Because that's a lot like Feast and is a really fun little movie, so much better than the terrible second film Bordello of Blood with fucking Dennis Miller. If you haven't seen it though I'm sure you'd really like Demon Knight, Feast reminds me alot of it.

2, and 3?! Where the hell have I been? I must find these...

I saw Demon Knight a while ago, and it was ruined by my ex hyping it as the greatest movie ever. It was enjoyable after rewatching it, but it never really clicked, and then after seeing Feast, Demon Knight seemed like a cheap knock-off, even though it came out more than a decade earlier.

Horror films are my favorite genre of film. By far.

One of my all-time favorite horror films is "Identity," with John Cusack. That movie has always stood out to me because it combines horror, suspense, and mystery. And I have always absolutely LOVED the ending to this movie. It is so unpredictable, I don't think anyone could ever call it. I won't spoil the ending for anyone that has not seen it, but in my opinion, it is definitely a movie worth your time and is one of my favorite movie endings ever. That very, very last scene, when Amanda Peet is in her garden, is so fucking awesome. It never gets old to me.

Another one of my favorites is the entire "Saw" series. I noticed that nobody has mentioned this yet. Granted, the very first "Saw" is the best. And I will agree that they have kind of digressed as the series has moved on, but I still love them all. Jigsaw might be my favorite villian in any movie ever. I love how he has morals and good motives, but he just takes them way too far. Jigsaw is presented in such a way that much of the time the audience is almost on his side. I love the continuity throughout the series, and the fact that Jigsaw had such an elaborate scheme that even after his death, "the game continues." I can't wait for "Saw VI" this month.

The above movies are my favorite in terms of which I enjoy the most. However, in terms of movies that legitmately frightened me, there are a couple:

"It," which has been named several times. It made the world afraid of clowns. However, I feel the book is much better. I am a big Stephen King fan, and I believe "It" to be his best work (with "The Stand" coming in a close second). Anyway, the movie scared the shit out of me when I was younger.

Another movie that scared me, when I was just a young kid, was the first "Child's Play." Looking back now, that seems kind of foolish for me to be so scared of Chuckie, but I was 8 at the time. There's a story actually. I was at a big birthday sleepover, and the birthday boy was a BIG horror fan, even at 8 years old. At the time, I was not big on horror, as it scared me. Anyway, back then, we all watched "Child's Play," but here's the worst part...this friend, who loved horror and Chuckie, had life-sized CHUCKIE dolls all over the fucking house. You open the closet and a god damn Chuckie doll falls out, staring you in the face. Tell me, at 8 years old, that watching "Child's Play" in a house full of real Chuckie dolls wouldn't scare the shit out of you?

I am interested to know your thoughts, X, on these films. I have been following your posts on these forums for a while now and its no secret that you are a big horror buff so I am anxious to know your thoughts, specifically on the "Saw" series. I have yet to hear how you feel about the series and it might be my favorite film series ever, so I'm curious.

That is all.

Horror films are my favorite genre of film. By far.

One of my all-time favorite horror films is "Identity," with John Cusack. That movie has always stood out to me because it combines horror, suspense, and mystery. And I have always absolutely LOVED the ending to this movie. It is so unpredictable, I don't think anyone could ever call it. I won't spoil the ending for anyone that has not seen it, but in my opinion, it is definitely a movie worth your time and is one of my favorite movie endings ever. That very, very last scene, when Amanda Peet is in her garden, is so fucking awesome. It never gets old to me.

I'm a fan of Identity as well, I remember seeing it in theaters and yeah the ending got me as well. I wasn't a big fan of the cheesy ending with Amanda Peet though, but the big twist at the end is great. Good mystery-slasher film that definitely showcases a strong influence from Hitchcock.

Another one of my favorites is the entire "Saw" series. I noticed that nobody has mentioned this yet. Granted, the very first "Saw" is the best. And I will agree that they have kind of digressed as the series has moved on, but I still love them all. Jigsaw might be my favorite villian in any movie ever. I love how he has morals and good motives, but he just takes them way too far. Jigsaw is presented in such a way that much of the time the audience is almost on his side. I love the continuity throughout the series, and the fact that Jigsaw had such an elaborate scheme that even after his death, "the game continues." I can't wait for "Saw VI" this month.

I was a huge fan of the original Saw, and still remember going to see it at a film festival after reading tons of hype about it at Bloody-Disgusting, and it just blew me away. I consider it a modern classic. The second film was a big step down, but was still very enjoyable as a cheesy slasher film. The third film is where things started getting a bit mediocre I thought, there were some good elements to that film, but not enough. Part 4...well I don't understand the praise I've seen heaped on Part 4 by some in the horror community. The ending to the film is such a massive retread of the original film's ending that it just pissed me off seriously, and still does. I thought it was better than the third film though. Part 5 was a big step down, but there were still a few nice moments. The ending of the film reminded me of something Edgar Allan Poe might write.

"It," which has been named several times. It made the world afraid of clowns. However, I feel the book is much better. I am a big Stephen King fan, and I believe "It" to be his best work (with "The Stand" coming in a close second). Anyway, the movie scared the shit out of me when I was younger.

I'm a huge fan of the novel as well, several of the most frightening things in the entire book are left out of the movie.

Another movie that scared me, when I was just a young kid, was the first "Child's Play." Looking back now, that seems kind of foolish for me to be so scared of Chuckie, but I was 8 at the time. There's a story actually. I was at a big birthday sleepover, and the birthday boy was a BIG horror fan, even at 8 years old. At the time, I was not big on horror, as it scared me. Anyway, back then, we all watched "Child's Play," but here's the worst part...this friend, who loved horror and Chuckie, had life-sized CHUCKIE dolls all over the fucking house. You open the closet and a god damn Chuckie doll falls out, staring you in the face. Tell me, at 8 years old, that watching "Child's Play" in a house full of real Chuckie dolls wouldn't scare the shit out of you?

Oh man my sister too was scared shitless of Chucky when we were kids, blame my horror-movie loving father for letting her watch it when she was like six years old.

I am interested to know your thoughts, X, on these films. I have been following your posts on these forums for a while now and its no secret that you are a big horror buff so I am anxious to know your thoughts, specifically on the "Saw" series. I have yet to hear how you feel about the series and it might be my favorite film series ever, so I'm curious.

I like the Saw franchise, but the last few films haven't been very good. I just think they need to stop and give time to think about the next installment instead of churning one out every Halloween. Seriously, for them to already be planning Saw 7, Saw 8, fucking Saw 9 at this point is ridiculous to me. It's like they've just settled on writing down the first things that come to their minds and go and make it. I'll probably see Saw 6 though.

I have to agree with just about everyone else here and put Halloween as my favorite Horror movie of all time. I love the horror genre, in particular the slasher movies of the 1980's, when I grew up. And Halloween is the film that started it all. The William Shatner mask painted white, completely expressionless, even the name, Michael Myers, completely bland. This could be anybody killing for no reason at all. This is what scared me about this movie. Change his name to Blake Hosenfeffer and put one of those stupid Scream masks on him and it changes the entire movie. You watch that movie today and it holds up. The same can't be said for Nightmare on Elm Street, which I love so please don't get upset about it, it just proves what a masterpiece Halloween is. If you compare the level of acting, the score, the pace, everything is just better in Halloween. I watched the original Nightmare the other day and the acting and special effects make it seem silly. I am really looking forward to the new Nightmare coming out in April, and if you haven't seen the trailer google search it, it looks good.
I also love the Friday the 13th series, in particular 3 and 4. They scared the piss out of me as a child and to this day I hate camping, largely because of these movies.

Oldboy is probably the greatest revenge movie I've seen, brilliantly simple and vicious. I can't watch the hammer and the hallway scene. Not watched any Feast film but I've seen clips, it stuck in my mind for one reason that I have dubbed Christopher Reeves Baby. It's not something you can forget if you've ever seen it. Audition was horrible, fibre-wire...

Oldboy is probably the greatest revenge movie I've seen, brilliantly simple and vicious. I can't watch the hammer and the hallway scene. Not watched any Feast film but I've seen clips, it stuck in my mind for one reason that I have dubbed Christopher Reeves Baby. It's not something you can forget if you've ever seen it. Audition was horrible, fibre-wire...

Do you mean Audition was horrible as in the film itself, or that the gore using t he fiber wire was horrible? I take it you're not very big on graphic violence in film then?

Odd, when I saw Audition I thought it was gruesome, but nowhere near some of the gorey things I've seen. Takashi Miike's own Ichi the Killer makes Audition look like a peaceful walk in the park on a Sunday. It's not really a horror film though. I'd definitely rank Ichi the Killer among the best films of the last few decades though, it's Miike's best work, but apart from the insane violence it's not really a horror film. You could make the argument that Ichi the Killer is a better "revenge film" than Oldboy is. Both films deal with much more complex issues than simply revenge though.

Hmm, that might be a good thread idea...Oldboy vs. Ichi the Killer. I imagine TDigs might be the only one to respond. Maybe Jake.

Odd, when I saw Audition I thought it was gruesome, but nowhere near some of the gorey things I've seen.

I don't think that the "gore" in Audition was meant to be gory. I think the fact that a lot of it was done out-of-view, left it to your imagination, which we all know is far worse than it really is.

Compare it to the scene at the end of Saw. You actually see the saw cutting through his foot, where you don't see anything with the fiber wire. That's what made it worse for me.

I don't think that the "gore" in Audition was meant to be gory. I think the fact that a lot of it was done out-of-view, left it to your imagination, which we all know is far worse than it really is.

Yes good suspense will frighten me more than any gore usually ever could, but I didn't get the same kind of payoff in Audition as I did with, say, a film like The Vanishing (the original, not the atrocious American remake). Don't get me wrong, I really love Audition, but after the first viewing, it's never really as disturbing as it originally was. Atleast not to me.

Don't get me wrong, I really love Audition, but after the first viewing, it's never really as disturbing as it originally was. Atleast not to me.

I understand what you're saying, and that's the problem I always face with psychological thrillers and the horror films that fuck with your head. They're made to test your imagination, and make you think horrible gruesome things. After you've seen it once, you can watch it 100 times because you already know how it ends.

I think Ghost Ship is severely underrated/under-appreciated. But my personal favs are The Nightmare on Elm St Trilogy, The Devils Rejects & House of 1000 Corpses, and I prefer Hostel over Saw. I like Saw 3-5 but find the 1st 2 to be boring. In Hostel 2 I could of gone without seeing that dog eat that you know what.

Ok, I've got to say it. Halloween (original) is probably the most overrated Horror film ever. That's not to say it wasn't impactful, it pretty much created the formula for the Slasher flick and at the time was revolutionary but without the nostalgia factor, in this day and age, it's nothing special. It's a silent, masked killer roaming around town killing 30 year old teenagers one by one. There's literally hundreds of other Slasher flicks like that. The film was made for shock value but that has certainly worn off. There's no story, no characters, no plot. Unless you saw it when you were a kid, I really can't understand the appeal.

Ok, I've got to say it. Halloween (original) is probably the most overrated Horror film ever. That's not to say it wasn't impactful, it pretty much created the formula for the Slasher flick and at the time was revolutionary but without the nostalgia factor, in this day and age, it's nothing special. It's a silent, masked killer roaming around town killing 30 year old teenagers one by one. There's literally hundreds of other Slasher flicks like that. The film was made for shock value but that has certainly worn off. There's no story, no characters, no plot. Unless you saw it when you were a kid, I really can't understand the appeal.

Wow. Simply wow. The ignorance displayed here astounds me.

Nothing special? "Theres literally hundreds of other slasher flicks like that...", yeah, no fucking shit, Halloween was the one that made all of those possible. That's like saying "Eh I don't see what's so special about Elvis or The Beatles, there's been thousands of rock bands since!"

Made for shock value? Have you even seen the fucking film? There's more gore in an afterschool special than there is in Halloween, there is almost zero blood whatsoever in the film. The most violent thing you'll see is a blood-less stabbing or a strangulation. The film was made for shock value? Are you JOKING me right now? You simply have no idea about what you're talking about.

No story? The story of pure fucking evil isn't a story now? It's the lack of plot which makes it frightening. Ever read Hawthorne's Young Goodman Brown? Sometimes what you don't see is much, much scarier. Halloween is not a shock film, it's a suspense film.

No characters?! Are you JOKING me? Michael Myers, Dr. Loomis, and Laurie Strode are literally perfect characterizations of good, evil, and the struggle between the two. If you can't see that, you've seen too many Saw films I'm afraid.

To me, it has to be Stephen King's It. I don't know what its appeal is, but it just frightened me to no end when I was a kid. It was the first horror film I watched, and got a legit fear of clowns for like a month after it. Maybe it's me, or Tim Curry was THE guy to play Pennywise.

Anyway, this is it for me.

I am not even going to debate this for two reasons. (1) There has never been anything said that could be more wrong and (2) X already did a nice job explaining why.
My question to Mr Goo Punch is this; what is your favorite horror movie if Halloween doesn't meet your standards?

Wow...that was ignorant as shit, i've seen parts of certain Halloween films and for me they kep you scared, in suspense...the whole lot frankly, Michael Myers is the example of a character that is violent, scary yet without the use of complete gore that many of us like. Myers is iconic, and when someone says it has no appeal, you Goo Punch jump off a fuckin bridge. Halloween has a storyline, great characters that represent good and evil. Just go watch was torture porn like SAW.

I'm going to also go with Halloween....this movie...and that mask haunted me for years. I saw the movie as a child on tv or something and have never been so scared. Nowadays though not too many " horror " movies scare me. Although Paranormal Activity makes me a little freaked out.

On a side note. My uncle bought the mask. And every year he would randomly wear it and scare the crap out of me and my sister. We were so creeped out by it ever year it was almost like we had forgotten about it from the previous year....I wonder if he still has it.

EDIT : I used to know the Halloween theme on the piano....not so much now.

I'm a traditional kinda gal when it comes to horror movies. I'll take an old fashion slasher movie anyday over some of these elaborate and high tech movies that pass for horror now days. All I need is Michael, Jason and Freddie. I love all the chapters in the Halloween, Nightmare on Elm St and Friday the 13th Series. However, if I have to pick just one, then I'm with Xfear: the original Halloween. it had a great story, a ton of suspense, a creepy villian and it had the greatest movie theme song ever. All the elements necessary to make a good horror movie are in this film.

Nothing special? "Theres literally hundreds of other slasher flicks like that...", yeah, no fucking shit, Halloween was the one that made all of those possible. That's like saying "Eh I don't see what's so special about Elvis or The Beatles, there's been thousands of rock bands since!"

That's not to say it wasn't impactful, it pretty much created the formula for the Slasher flick and at the time was revolutionary.

So...you're agreeing with me...in a derogatory fashion? Or am I missing something? :confused:

Made for shock value? Have you even seen the fucking film? There's more gore in an afterschool special than there is in Halloween, there is almost zero blood whatsoever in the film. The most violent thing you'll see is a blood-less stabbing or a strangulation. The film was made for shock value? Are you JOKING me right now? You simply have no idea about what you're talking about.

If the film was made last year, you'd have a point. But...it was made in 1978. And you yourself said:

"Theres literally hundreds of other slasher flicks like that...", yeah, no fucking shit, Halloween was the one that made all of those possible.

So, again we're agreeing that the film was a first of it's kind... yeah, there's never anything shocking or controversial about "firsts of thier kind"...especially in the Horror genre. :confused:

No story? The story of pure fucking evil isn't a story now? It's the lack of plot which makes it frightening.

So again we're agreeing that the film has no plot...I literally have no idea why I'm even replying...I never said the film isn't frightening to 7 year olds in 1978. I never said the film isn't campy fun to watch at a Halloween party. I said it had no real story and unless you're disagreeing with that, I don't know why I'm giving a rebuttal...

No characters?! Are you JOKING me? Michael Myers, Dr. Loomis, and Laurie Strode are literally perfect characterizations of good, evil, and the struggle between the two. If you can't see that, you've seen too many Saw films I'm afraid.

Having a kid sit on the curb in a Halloween costume and then flashforwarding to a big dude in a mask roaming around killing people really doesn't constitute character devolpment, I'm sorry.

Again, I understand the nostalgia factor the movie carries and I don't mean to offend anyone. Hell, I list Child's Play 3 as one of my favorite movies ever because it was one of the first Horror flicks I saw and at the time scared the shit outta me. But juding the original Halloween in this day and age, it doesn't stand the test of time.

And the first SAW was brilliant but everything after that was utter crap pandering to a date night audience.

Im gonna ignore Goo Punch and say this i watched the Halloween remake by Rob Zombie and enjoyed it unlike most film critics and their sites which ruin the horror genre for people. Also i accidently picked up Ressurection from the Halloween series, oh god its really bad. But i sat through the rob Zombie remake and was happy with it. The only thing is i need to watch the 1978 version and numbers 2 through to 4.

So...you're agreeing with me...in a derogatory fashion? Or am I missing something? :confused:

Because you're using that as a complaint. To complain about a film being influential is idiotic at best.

If the film was made last year, you'd have a point. But...it was made in 1978. And you yourself said:

So, again we're agreeing that the film was a first of it's kind... yeah, there's never anything shocking or controversial about "firsts of thier kind"...especially in the Horror genre. :confused:

You're kidding, right? If you actually think the film Halloween was made for shock value, there's no point even discussing this any further, because you know absolutely nothing about the origins of the film.

So again we're agreeing that the film has no plot...I literally have no idea why I'm even replying...I never said the film isn't frightening to 7 year olds in 1978. I never said the film isn't campy fun to watch at a Halloween party. I said it had no real story and unless you're disagreeing with that, I don't know why I'm giving a rebuttal...

Maybe because you're using lack of plot as a reason to hate the film. Which is fucking absurd. Some of the greatest films ever made have had almost zero plot; especially in the horror genre. Night of the Living Dead, where's the plot there? People in house, zombies outside of house. That's the entire fucking plot of the film. Now, how is that a negative thing?

Why does a film need some grand and deep plot to be good? That's asinine, especially in a film that's trying to convey the classic story of good vs. evil.

Having a kid sit on the curb in a Halloween costume and then flashforwarding to a big dude in a mask roaming around killing people really doesn't constitute character devolpment, I'm sorry.

What the fuck do you want, a documentary on each character? Again, COUNTLESS horror and other genre classics have had just as little character development. You complaining about a lack of development to the character of Michael Myers is hands down the stupidest thing I've ever heard some say about a horror film. No fucking shit he doesn't have much character development, THAT'S WHAT MAKES HIM FRIGHTENING! If we knew every single thing about Myers we might sympathize with him (like Zombie mistakenly did in the remake). The horror of Michael Myers is that he just shows up one day for seemingly no reason, and he's here to kill you. He's a pure and simple representation of evil itself.

Seriously, have you even seen the film? I find it absurd that someone couldn't grasp these simple concepts.

Again, I understand the nostalgia factor the movie carries and I don't mean to offend anyone. Hell, I list Child's Play 3 as one of my favorite movies ever because it was one of the first Horror flicks I saw and at the time scared the shit outta me. But juding the original Halloween in this day and age, it doesn't stand the test of time.

Well, then, sorry, but you're a fucking idiot. "Doesn't stand the test of time"...oh, is that why every single person in this thread who's talked about the film has said it still frightens them to this day? Is that why sequels are still being made 30 years later? Is that why my local theater is playing the original film all month long?

Bull-fucking-shit it doesn't stand the test of time. If you're going to pull out that shitty argument, you'd better start calling Night of the Living Dead utter crap as well, because shit, how can those black and white slow zombies compare to the superfast uber-zombies of today?

You've clearly shown you know absolutely nothing about film. Would you like to start discussing how Dr. Strangelove sucks because it doesn't stand the test of time as well? Hey, how about Jaws? That shark is soooo fake looking! And Star Wars? Man those special effects are laughable!

Seriously, think before you spew bullshit. Halloween is probably the single most critically acclaimed horror film ever made. I'm pretty sure we should take the opinion of, well, everyone, over yours. Especially with some of the absolutely atrocious films you recommended in the other horror thread. Seriously, why would you ever recommend Return to Sleepaway Camp to someone? If you thought that was a good film...well, there's no point in further discussing this matter, because you have the taste of an autistic six year old.

Im gonna ignore Goo Punch and say this i watched the Halloween remake by Rob Zombie and enjoyed it.

I think you're confused, I'm talking about the original Halloween. I think Rob Zombie's remake was a masterpiece. In his version there WAS a story and there WAS actual characters.

..................................................................................

Because you're using that as a complaint. To complain about a film being influential is idiotic at best.

When did I complain about it being influential? What I said was:

That's not to say it wasn't impactful, it pretty much created the formula for the Slasher flick and at the time was revolutionary.

When people say "that's not to say", it means that the upcoming statement isn't releated to their point.

You're kidding, right? If you actually think the film Halloween was made for shock value, there's no point even discussing this any further, because you know absolutely nothing about the origins of the film.

Why? Because you disagree? O...k...I guess I have no response for that logic lol.

Maybe because you're using lack of plot as a reason to hate the film. Which is fucking absurd.

Lack of plot in a film is absurd??? I...don't even know what to say to that. But dude, you could save a ton of money. Stop paying to see movies, just stare at the wall.

Why does a film need some grand and deep plot to be good?

It certainly doesn't need to be "grand and deep". All I ask is that it exists.

What the fuck do you want, a documentary on each character? Again, COUNTLESS horror and other genre classics have had just as little character development. You complaining about a lack of development to the character of Michael Myers is hands down the stupidest thing I've ever heard some say about a horror film. No fucking shit he doesn't have much character development, THAT'S WHAT MAKES HIM FRIGHTENING! If we knew every single thing about Myers we might sympathize with him (like Zombie mistakenly did in the remake). The horror of Michael Myers is that he just shows up one day for seemingly no reason, and he's here to kill you. He's a pure and simple representation of evil itself.

I'm sorry but anyone who finds Horror flicks "FRIGHTENING!" is either under 12, a chick, or a huge pussy. I watch Horror movies like I watch any other movie; to be entertained. A dude roaming around town killing people for no apparent reason doesn't entertain me and it certainly doesn't scare me.

Well, then, sorry, but you're a fucking idiot. "Doesn't stand the test of time"...oh, is that why every single person in this thread who's talked about the film has said it still frightens them to this day? Is that why sequels are still being made 30 years later? Is that why my local theater is playing the original film all month long?

*sigh*

Again, I understand the nostalgia factor the movie carries.

I never said the film isn't campy fun to watch at a Halloween party.

Please try and actually READ the posts you're all up in arms about.

You've clearly shown you know absolutely nothing about film.

And you've shown you have the mental maturity of a 7 year old. Seriously dude, if you still wet your bed having nightmares about the boogeyman, that's fine but I'm juding Halloween as a film and we AGREE that it has no plot. In my opinion, that means it sucks. If you disagree, fine. I think you judge movies based on the criteria of a child but suit yourself.

Seriously, think before you spew bullshit. Halloween is probably the single most critically acclaimed horror film ever made.

And if the critics like it, it MUST be good!:rolleyes:

Especially with some of the absolutely atrocious films you recommended in the other horror thread. Seriously, why would you ever recommend Return to Sleepaway Camp to someone?

The Sleepaway Camp series is one of the most highly praised by Horror fans. But I know Ebert didn't give it two thumbs up so I wouldn't expect you to like it. We obviously have different tastes (well, I probably would have agreed with you when I was 7) and that's fine, there's no need to throw a hissy fit and name-call.

Let's start with your first two sentences because they somewhat contradict each other. Halloween is the film that started a generation of slasher films; it was the template for a generation. You can’t overrate a movie in the pantheon of horror movies. It’s there for a reason. If you remake that film today, shot by shot, line for line, people would see it, it would make money. I’m not talking Zombie’s remake, which was great but a film of its own. I mean a carbon copy but with all the technological updates that are available today, 30 years after it was released (and I just mean film and advanced cameras, no need to adjust any special effects because there really wasn’t any). Go watch the original Nightmare on Elm Street. A great movie, a movie of which I am a big fan. But the original film does not hold up to the original Halloween; if you compare them side by side, if released today. Nightmare’s special effects compare to your local Haunted House, extremely laughable by today’s standards. And please, I am not trying to take anything away from the original Nightmare because it is a wonderful movie. But something as simple as that is one of the many reasons why Halloween stands the test of time; you can’t tell when it was filmed. Sure you can tell the movie takes place in the seventies but identifying when it was filmed is tougher. It’s why the Evil Dead movies hold up well too, Raimi even dressed Bruce Campbell in clothes that couldn’t be dated intentionally so the film wouldn’t date.
And sure, I’ll agree with you that there are hundreds of slasher movies in the same mold, but they pale in comparison. And most of them have no real story, just kids partying, some tits and elaborate death scenes. And I have probably seen most of these movies, so I’m not trying to put them down, some movies are peanut butter and jelly and others are steak and potatoes. Halloween is steak and potatoes.
And honestly, horror movies don’t scare me much anymore. None of them. But I try to put myself in them, if that was my neighbor what would scare me. And honestly, Carpenters Halloween Haddonfield would scare me more than Zombies. The boy next store that kills for no reason, to me anyway, is much scarier than the hillbilly child with mental health issues, no family structure, physical and mental abuse from his stepfather and lack of parenting from his mother. If I lived in Zombies neighborhood, I am telling my daughter not to play at the Myers house. In Carpenters neighborhood, little Michael has probably been to all the birthday parties. So that is what scares me but what scares you is different, and that is fine. You don’t like Halloween, that’s fine, nothing anyone is going to tell you can change that, but I do think it holds up today.
And I liked Zombies movies a lot (both his Halloweens were great, Devils Rejects is a classic), but the part I was conflicted over was knowing why Michael killed. It takes the ‘scare’ out of it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back