WEIRDEST SHIT

The only band I've ever been in was a Misfits cover band too lol. We were called Return of the Fly though. I'll bet you we were far worse than your band, I started learning to play the bass not even two months before we started the band and my buddy had only been playing guitar for about a year.

I wouldn't say we were bad...it's hard to suck at playing such easy songs haha. Funny you mention that because Jerry Only had only been playing bass for about three months before joining The Misfits. That's the beautiful thing about the band...none of them had any real musical talent besides Danzig but it all came together in the most ugly, beautifully melodic way.

I wouldn't say we were bad...it's hard to suck at playing such easy songs haha. Funny you mention that because Jerry Only had only been playing bass for about three months before joining The Misfits. That's the beautiful thing about the band...none of them had any real musical talent besides Danzig but it all came together in the most ugly, beautifully melodic way.

We somehow managed to suck, none of us could read music so we just tried to sound as close to the songs as we could manage and it never worked lol. You may be the only person I've met on here who loves the Misfits as much as I do though.

We somehow managed to suck, none of us could read music so we just tried to sound as close to the songs as we could manage and it never worked lol. You may be the only person I've met on here who loves the Misfits as much as I do though.

I couldn't read music at the time either ha, not until I started taking vocal ensemble in high school did I learn. I first heard them from my uncle who is an a local punk band, I was maybe 12 or 13. The first album I actually bought (without knowing anything about the band really, my uncle said I'd like them) was American Psycho. So clearly I didn't know about the earlier work with Danzig that they were much more known for. I loved that album because I hadn't heard much punk besides like...a Ramones song or two. It was cocaine to my ears. That's where my obsession started and I do mean obsession. I've seen them (with Jerry fronting and Dez from Black Flag, with either Robo or Marky Ramone on drums) many many times and I've seen Danzig about 5 times. Some of those were him doing the Misfits set with Doyle.

Fuckin' A. I was also in a Misfits cover/Horror Punk band (we dabbled with originals). In fact we almost opened for the Misfits at a show in NY at The Downtown but then the damn place went out of business without warning. Been a fan for years and have seem them many times. They were one of the last bands I ever saw play CBGBs. For years I held out hope for a reunion but honestly if it happened today I don't even know if I'd want to see attend such a train wreck.

I think Misfits cover bands are so many in number is because the songs are easy to play and who the fuck (besides big gay D-Man) doesn't love them. The sing-along levels of the songs are unmatchable. We started off doing just Misfits covers but eventually worked some other stuff in there like Cash songs. Good times.

I think Misfits cover bands are so many in number is because the songs are easy to play and who the fuck (besides big gay D-Man) doesn't love them. The sing-along levels of the songs are unmatchable. We started off doing just Misfits covers but eventually worked some other stuff in there like Cash songs. Good times.

If you know how to play two Mistfits songs, you pretty much have the potential to play them all, at least on guitar. The lyrics are also ridiculously easy to learn. I mean, let's look at some of their lyrical masterpieces....

20 Eyes said:
20 Eyes in my head
20 Eyes in my head
20 Eyes in my head
They're all the same
They're all the same

or this little ditty's classic chorus...

Where Eagles Dare said:
I ain't no goddamn son of a bitch
You better think about it baby
I ain't no goddamn son of a bitch
You better think about it baby, babe.

or my personal favorite...

Die My Darling said:
Die die die my darling
Don't utter a single word
Die die die my darling
Shut your pretty eyes
I'll be seeing you again
I'll be seeing you...
In hell.

The number one reason there are lots of Misfits cover bands though? Because like Armbar said, they fucking rock. It's fact, even if you don't like them, they rock. A guy smashing the drums with a cymbal shot thrown in from time to time, power chords, and a screeching lead singer... that's all you need, and that's rock and roll in it's most simple form. If you can't appreciate that, then you're at the wrong show anyway, grandma.

Edit: I was never in a Misfits cover band. But, and I'm not joking, I was asked to be in one, and we jammed one time before the lead singer decided he didn't want to do the Misfits cover band idea anymore. He went with a ska band later.

I'm a face!?! Clearly I've been doing something wrong.

*raises NorCal's hand after a tag match, clotheslines him, looks devilishly into the camera*

tumblr_llhjyuocla1qhbp56o1_400.gif

It is your destiny!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back