WCW Region, Osaka Subregion, First Round: (11) Chris Benoit vs. (22) Ron Simmons

Who wins this match?

• Chris Benoit

• Ron Simmons

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the WCW Region, Osaka Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium in Osaka, Japan.

3445-L.jpg

Chris-Benoit-5-1.jpg

#11. Chris Benoit

Vs.

4123270.jpg

#22. Ron Simmons

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Don't sell Ron Simmons short. He is a former WCW World Heavyweight Champion.

That being said, I do think that Benoit goes over here in what would be a hard fought and intense match.

*Insert joke about Benoit choking Ron Simmons to death*

In all honesty it would be a pretty good match. But Benoit's accolades is a bit better, he did beat Triple H and Brock Lesnar when they were the biggest things in WWE

Great match but Benoit wins with a crossface

Simmons, despite being a former world champion, has always been much better as a tag team act alongside Butch Reed or Bradshaw. Ron's as tough as they come, and certainly wouldn't make it easy on Benoit. Being that this match is in Japan, I can see these two putting on a good 20 minute match, and Benoit blocking a Ron Simmons' shoulder block into a Crossface counter for the tap.

Since this is the WCW Region, you can't ignore the fact that Ron Simmons did win the big one there, and in style - he took the World Heavyweight title from Vader no less, and was mega over when he did so. Whilst you can argue that Benoit did win the big one in WCW, his departure from the company a day later dilutes it someone, not to mention most of his wrestling accolades came during his time in WWE anyway.

However, Simmons time at the top was relatively short lived compared to Benoit's in WWE. Moreover, you can say that Simmons only had the one peak, whereas Benoit had several over the course of many years.

As far as the wrestling goes, Simmons would put up a good fight. Benoit would get slammed around quite a bit. But it'd only take the one reversal to slap in the crossface and that's your result.

Damn.

Both overcame political adversities to become champion. Benoit, his size and background. Simmons, his color. I think Ron Simmons is great and I've been a fan of his for a long time. He had a perfect build for a champion and was impressively strong.

Chris Benoit was a far more skilled wrestler. He was the best technical wrestler i've ever seen. Not much of a talker, but he put on much better wrestling matches than Ron. Benoit's abilities give him more variables and weapons and is more dangerous in the ring. The Crippler wins via submission.

I'm guessing most missed Ron's actual prime.

Either way, Benoit still wins. Beat tougher competition than Ron did and was just as tough. That's saying something, seeing Ron Simmons was one tough son of a bitch (ask Vader, who was nearly unstoppable at the time).

Still, the murderer advances.

Criminal record aside, Chris Benoit was one of the most noted technical wrestlers out there. Having tremendous performances since before even debuting on US TV until that horrible night in Georgia. Whether it was in NJPW, ECW, WCW, WWE, he was a sure guy to give you a great match.

Ron Simmons on the other hand, is a legit tough guy. But is mostly remembered for his tag teams. Doom and the A.P.A. Despite being the first ever African-American World Champion, his run on top was not so fondly remembered. He's nowhere as consistent as Benoit, and after his run on top, he never got any major wins.

Benoit has this, he was by far a better technician, has a more impressive career, way more accomplishments, far more entertaining matches. He has everything on his side. This man even has the experience factor in his favor, after all Benoit has wrestled every single style there is. He has been basically all over the world wrestling, he knows the japanese style, the american style and even the lucha libre style.

Benoit make's him tap and goes to the next round

I think this match goes to Benoit. The only real advantage Ron Simmons has over Benoit is in the power department, but not enough of one to overcome everything that Benoit brings. Benoit is the better athlete, the better technician and, in all honesty, probably the better brawler if push comes to shove.

I get the Simmons was the first African American to be officially recognized by a major organization in pro wrestling as World Champion. It was also impressive that he defeated Vader to win the WCW WHC. Every dog has his day. Benoit winning the WHC at WM by beating both HBK & Triple H was his finest hour in what was a classic match.

I'm not going to say that Simmons has no chance. If he can beat Vader in his prime, then he has the potential to be damn near anybody. If Benoit doesn't try to match strength and go toe to toe with Simmons, I think he walks out with the win.

Benoit wins here. Simmons was great and extremely athletic but Benoit goes over due to him being a bigger name internationally as well as the fact that he has held damn near every title there is to hold in wrestling.

I dont give even half a shit about him killing his wife and son. I didn't know them and people get killed everyday. It's really none of our business.

Yeah Benoit had more time at the top than Simmons did. Though both were upper midcard for most of their careers, Simmons only had a year of being a main event talent and a brief period when he entered WWF of being a title contender and legit threat. Benoit was a highly valuable commodity, with WCW endeavouring to keep him in their company by giving him the world title, followed by a slow but steady push to the main event of WWE after several failed title feuds. His 2004 is FAR bigger than anything Simmons ever did. Winning the Royal Rumble from number one, and going over HBK and HHH in the main event of probably the biggest promoted Wrestlemania of all time? Simmons sure can compare to that.

Benoit again has a ton more history in Japan on his side with his style being adored to the Japanese fans. I can't see anything but a submission win for the crippler as the transitional, token champion falls to the guy that worked his ass off to rise to the top of the WWE.

While everyone needs to remember that Ron Simmons was a World Champion in WCW, he was a midcarder for the majority of his singles career after that and spent alot of time as a tag-team, be it Doom or the Acolytes.

Other than pure strength, Benoit beats Simmons in every category. His technical skill is one of the greatest ever, and he would find a way pretty easily of countering one of Simmons' power moves into a submission hold, most likely the Crossface, for a quick win

Winner: Chris Benoit

Benoit won the World Heavyweight Championship in WWE's experimental 2004 period, and the WCW title when they were desperate, so neither were really a particularly important or high point of wrestling. Ditto Simmons, who won his title in a fledgling WCW that hadn't begun to compete yet.

So who to vote for? Well I went with Simmons because I prefer him, and because I think that charisma is important, and Benoit was devoid of it.

Ron Simmons has a match against someone who never existed. All he has to do is show up and he advances to Round 2. Ron Simmons won't no-show.

Ron Simmons wins easily. By countout/forfeit.
I'm voting for Benoit in an effort to neutralize this dimwit's vote and get this thing back on an even playing field for those who want to have a legitimate argument regarding who the better wrestler is here.

Besides, have you seen Benoit's veins bulge when he locks in the crippler crossface? How could I possibly vote against such intensity?

Simmons won his world title at a house show and dropped it at a house show.

Benoit beat HBK and Triple H in the main event at Wrestlemania for his first world title win in WWE.

Benoit won a truck full of titles in WWE including being a triple crown winner, was the IWGP junior heavyweight champ, and held multiple singles mid-card titles in WCW as well. Simmons held one mid-card singles title in WCW to go with his one world title and he never was a singles champ in the WWE, not even the Hardcore title, which seems impossible considering he wrestled throughout the attitude era where everyone held that title a couple hundred times.

Simmons will always be a great answer to a trivia question, but he'll be remembered more for backstage segments where he says one word. Benoit would make Simmons tap.

This would be a stiff hard hitting match. I think Benoit is more skilled and has the better resume. Simmons was great but I think Benot had more success over a longer period of time and his intensity can overcome Faarooq's power.

I'll just outright say it; it makes no sense that Chris Benoit is saddled with an eleven seed, and Ricky Steamboat gets a four, or Shawn Michaels gets a three. Because Chris Benoit is better than either of those man are, and for what I see, was the best wrestler in the world from 2003 to 2005.

Chris Benoit wins, and it shouldn't be this close

So who to vote for? Well I went with Simmons because I prefer him, and because I think that charisma is important, and Benoit was devoid of it.

Two things:

1. What kind of character did you expect him to play? He was casted as a Cripple, a menacing psycho that got enjoyment out of watching his opponents tap?

Did you expect him to be kissing babies and hugging fat girls? Hell, I could argue Benoit had played his character than any man since The Undertaker.

2. Does that mean when the time is right, maybe against Randy Savage, that Lou Thesz is fucked?

Because I'll tell ya what, Lou Thesz is closer to Chris Benoit, than he is to Ron Simmons.

And no, not just because they're white

I'm voting for Ron Simmons because he won his World Title against a behemoth with an 8 time World Champ running interference. Benoit won against two guys more concerned with their own rivalry.

My vote goes to the guy who showed more charisma with one word than the other did in his whole career... ... ... ... ... ... ... DAMN!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back