WCW Region, New Orleans Subregion, Second Round: (7) Roddy Piper vs. (10)Jerry Lawler

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Roddy Piper

• Jerry Lawler

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round match in the WCW Region, New Orleans Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under WCW Rules. It will be held at the Smoothie King Center in New Orleans, Louisiana.

465281691tk-015asgame.jpg

roddy-piper.png

#7. Roddy Piper

Vs.

baeb3df84f2e37c694be6f6b8403a800.jpeg

#10. Jerry Lawler

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

From an appeal standpoint, you gotta roll with the Hot Rod. Jerry had his share of accolades and championships, but has he really accomplished much outside of Memphis and other southern territories? He wasn't bad in the ring, but he was an occasional wrestler in WWF/E and had mostly done color commentary. Now Piper never was champ, but as I've heard in the past with his mouth he didn't need to be champ. He was always in the thick of things during the heyday of the 80's against Hogan, and Piper's Pit was usually a delight. Overall, Roddy seemed to be more nationally known than Jerry.

I always feel sorry for Roddy Piper in this tournament. I'm always thinking to myself, "Man, if Piper had won just one main event championship in either WWE or WCW, he'd make it a lot longer in this tournament." Alas, though, he didn't, however, neither did Lawler.

What works in Lawler's favor, however, is the fact that he was the face of wrestling in Memphis. Hell, not just the face, he was wrestling in Memphis. Now, I know that Piper main evented the first Wrestlemania and how good Piper was as a heel and on the mic. The thing is, though, Lawler was also excellent as a heel and on the mic. I consider them both to be brilliant in the ring. So this is actually a tough decision for me.

As of now, I'm leaning towards Lawler because Lawler was the face of an organization for years, however, my mind can change.

Hmm. Both of these men had careers which outstripped their accolades. At a national level anyway, in Lawler's case. Lawler was a big draw in his market, Piper helped Hulk Hogan take off. I think I'm going to give it to Piper on the basis that he had the better career on the big stage, but there's not much in it.

Hmm. Both of these men had careers which outstripped their accolades. At a national level anyway, in Lawler's case. Lawler was a big draw in his market, Piper helped Hulk Hogan take off. I think I'm going to give it to Piper on the basis that he had the better career on the big stage, but there's not much in it.

Yeah I agree with this totally. Lawler had immense success, but mainly in Memphis (isn't he something like a 50x champion there?!), but on the biggest stage neither Piper or Lawler had many championship wins. However, they didn't (in Piper's case especially) need the gold to be major stars. Their charisma is what made them the legends they are, two absolutely phenomenal talkers.

I'm giving this to Hot Rod due to his rivalry with Hulk Hogan, which was a BIG deal and he headlined the first WrestleMania which was the biggest show in WWE history. That's greater than anything Lawler managed in WWE, even his great feud with The Hitman Bret Hart.

Piper to lock the Sleeper in for the win.

I like Piper more. Every round I can vote one from the heart while the others are logical decisions. So this one is for Hot Rod

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back