WCW Region, New Orleans Subregion, First Round: (15) Chris Benoit vs. (18)Rob Van Dam

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Chris Benoit

• Rob Van Dam

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the WCW Region, New Orleans Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under WCW Rules. It will be held at the Smoothie King Center in New Orleans, Louisiana.

465281691tk-015asgame.jpg

Chris-Benoit-5-1.jpg

#15. Chris Benoit

Vs.

robvandam.jpg

#18. Rob Van Dam

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Nice match-up here. RVD was very dynamic, particularly in his ECW days. The guy had skills and loads of charisma. The spots he used to do, like the Van-Terminator, were sights to behold. But the key word is "spots". This doesn't negate the talent of RVD, but at the same time I wonder how he would've been if you take away his move set. Now, Chris Benoit was a master of his craft. Yes, he wasn't a talker on the mic. But with the clinics be used to put on in the ring, he didn't have to say a damn thing. I think of his matches with Angle and Jericho and was always in awe. But what truly made me a Benoit fan was his war with Kevin Sullivan back in WCW. Talk about an intense competitor. One could argue that he's one of the top 5 technical wrestlers ever, and I'd agree. Vote Benoit.

I'll take RVD. It's really a toss up when it comes to their ability and successes so I'm just going to go with who I prefer. They only had two singles matches that I know of and they split the two. The match that stands out more to me, however, is their match at Summerslam 2002 which RVD won.

Whilst I appreciate that Benoit had some classic matches, the fact is that professional wrestling is less about ring technique and more about connecting with the audience, and Benoit struggled with this. RVD never did. For that reason, he's getting my vote but this could go either way.

I'm throwing my hat in the ring for Chris Benoit.

Rob Van Dam was a great wrestler who, as has been pointed out, always made a good connection with the crowd. He's been a fan favourite for as long as I can remember and his accomplishments speak for themself. Chris Benoit is a fine wrestler foo and his accomplishments are amazing too. But, I think the region really helps out Benoit here. He was a pretty big deal in WCW before it collapsed and the WWE did the right thing by pinching him from the sinking ship.

When the two of these meet, I think that Benoit clips the wings of the high flyer and takes this to the canvas when he does that, there is only going to be one winner. Benoit has the stamina to match RVD and make him wrestle the match that Benoit wants. I have to give it to Benoit.

There are a number of factors in the favour of either man: Benoit was magic in the ring, Van Dam was an incredible performer, Benoit was a technical fan's wet dream, Van Dam's a flippie lover's, but the fact is this: these two have wrestled and they've traded wins, but who won their biggest encounter, one-on-one for the IC title at SummerSlam in 2002? That would Rob Van Dam. For that reason, Mr. Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday...(If only he had been in TNA now, the full working week would be his) Night, wins.

We have had this match and it was an unbelievably awesome one at that from one of the best PPVs of all time:

[youtube]LS1dqgTYwzI[/youtube]

Great match and I think it goes down like it went down at SS. RVD wins.

P.S One of the rare matches when RVD loses the pony tail

We have had this match and it was an unbelievably awesome one at that from one of the best PPVs of all time:

[youtube]LS1dqgTYwzI[/youtube]

Great match and I think it goes down like it went down at SS. RVD wins.

P.S One of the rare matches when RVD loses the pony tail

Hell yeah man, I came into this thread with every intention of mentioning that match.

Great match, but RVD takes it nine times out of ten. RVD is just one of those guys who could have Benoit's number. Benoit was pretty up-and-down in his entire career in the wins/losses department. You could say that about RVD's WWE run too, but RVD's ECW TV Title reign speaks for itself and he did manage to break through that glass ceiling like Benoit and get that WWE Title.

You can have an argument all day about who the actual better wrestler was; I guess that more depends on your personal preference (both RVD and Benoit have matches that are in my top 5 favorites of all time). However, what can't be argued is that RVD's charisma blew Benoit's out of the water, RVD was better on the mic, and RVD's career isn't completely tarnished.

So, RVD takes this.

Chris Benoit could connect with the audience. You don't get to be world heavyweight champion without connecting with the audience. You don't main event against The Rock without connecting with the audience (even it's via The Rock). You don't get to main event WrestleMania without connecting with the audience. He's not the most significant world champion that wrestling has ever had - well, at least not for good reasons - but he's just on the cusp of that elite tier.

Rob Van Dam is on the same cusp. For me, it's half a dozen of one and six of the other. Van Dam connected to the audience mainly due to his intelligent use of flips. Frankly, I prefer him. His match versus Jeff Hardy at InVasion is one of my favourite ever.

This is for my dead friend Coco.

I'm voting RVD as he didn't kill his wife and kid. Even looking at Benoit in a match makes me feel sick now.

I'm right there with you. He came up on a PPV I was watching against Jericho, and I couldn't get through 3 minutes of it.

You could have Benoit up against Brooklyn Brawler and I will vote Brawler every single time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back