WCW Region, Denver Subregion, First Round:(12) Goldberg vs.(21)John Bradshaw Layfield

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Goldberg

• John Bradshaw Layfield

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the WCW Region, Denver Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under WCW Rules. It will be held at the Pepsi Center, Denver, Colorado.

275-Denver_Pepsi_Center_2527.jpg

GoldbergPic_crop_exact.jpg

#12. Goldberg

Vs.

John%20Bradshaw%20Layfield.jpg

#21. John Bradshaw Layfield

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Those of you who have followed the WZ tournament the last few years know my love for JBL. I often campaign for him, talk about how underappreciated he is and how he would more often than not win in his prime because he was one of those heels. Unfortunately those heels are guys like the Honky Tonk Man, those heels are guys like Hollywood Hulk Hogan. What do these two men have in common? Well, at the end of long periods of dominance they were cut down by fast, running, power wrestlers who blasted through their adversary's in short order. Warrior squashed Honky. Goldberg squashed Hogan.

Unfortunately he'd probably squash JBL too.

Yeah, I have to agree and go with Goldberg. But that's not to say that this one wouldn't be a close match. JBL, at this hest, was amongst the best in the company. But he didn't really come up a guys like Goldberg in that time. Sure, he had matches against people like an inexperienced John Cena, Eddie Guerrero and others. But he was always the power guy in those feuds. When he comes up against someone with more power than he does, I'm afraid it's not going to be a walk in the park for Mr. Layfield. Goldberg is just too powerful for JBL on this occasion, especially with this being in the WCW region. Lets not forget his sheer undefeated streak.

Goldberg for me.

When WCW Goldberg lost, it was special. In this match against borderline main event level WWE guy who really never had a substantial period of time of main event level draw or popularity, it just feels like another win for Goldberg.

JBL's next.

JBL's key strategy as WWE Champion was to sneak away with the title while the odds were against him. He had defeated The Undertaker, Booker T, Eddie Guerrero...all at the same time even. But somehow he managed to squeak through. Often by the aid of his Cabinet staff.

Too bad it's Goldberg he's dealing with, a guy that dismantled the cowardly heels of his time. I like JBL as a wrestler. He's really underrated for having such a long run as the top dog. But Goldberg has laid waste to the most prolific superstars in WCW. And he never really relied on underhanded tactics to do it.

Goldberg came from an era that saw JBL's tactics play out over and over again, and rose above it. JBL isn't going to outsmart him here. Goldberg to advance.

JBL deserves far more credit than some people are giving him. After all, he was the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history and, also, let us not forget; he is a WRESTLING GOD!!!!!!

However, like has already been said, Goldberg made a career out of defeating heels that needed help or used sneaky under-handed tactics to win. He defeated Hogan and he also defeated Triple H in the prime of his Evolution years.

Goldberg goes over here folks, but its not a squash by any means.

JBL was a great heel, although at the time I hated the fact he was suddenly put in the main event when he'd been a tag-team guy most of his career. But looking back he did a good job, and he's brilliant on the mic- very entertaining.

But if he was facing an in-prime Goldberg, he'd get destroyed. Just like everyone else did. 'Berg was a wrecking machine, capable of taking down a top star in just a few minutes and he'd do the same to the "Wrestling God". JBL's tournament ends after just a few minutes, with Goldberg ducking under a Clothesline from Hell attempt and snapping JBL in half with the Spear...before ending it with the JackHammer.

JBL was definitely a good heel, and a weirdly popular face earlier in his career, but he was ultimately champion because he was in the right place at the right time. WCW did lots of bads whilst in the death throes, but the way they fucked up Goldberg is ridiculous, although it is hard to see where they should have taken it. Anyway, he'd win here.

I finally 'got' Goldberg the other day. Spear, snarl at the hard camera, jackhammer - what's to get, right? But then I started watching some of his non-squashes and realised he was more than that. Well, sometimes he was more than that. He was a genuine athletic freak. His strength was incredible. And yeah, watching him spear someone unconscious is pretty cool too. He wasn't nearly as clumsy in the ring as some would have you believe. I can finally enjoy Goldberg; the world is a better place.

I liked it when The Acolytes would pretend wrestling was real and really hurt their opponents.

Goldberg has basically no clean losses and about five losses total. Considering all the bullshit that was pulled in WCW to try to topple him, JBL's not going to trouble him.

Goldberg wins this easily. I loved the APA but once Bradshaw became JBL I wasn't a fan. He is the definition of a right place, right time champion. Spear, Jackhammer, and Goldberg moves on in under 10 minutes.

Goldberg was a spark of divine light. The way he was handled from the way he got totally ducked up dismantled many of the ideas about what people at the time knew and expected of wrestling. He exchanged pure technical ability for raw power and speed, and most of all, excitement.

I liked JBL back in the APA days. And unfortunately, although he did his best when the opportunity arose, he still seemed like a guy that was elevated because of a shallowing roster, much like Edge soon afterwards. Goldberg went from no-one to the one in a very short time. He broke tradition, and a fair few spines in his time I'd wager. JBL's might be another of our kilter after 5 minutes in the ring with the phenomenon.

I have made a lot of posts keeping my bias at bay and all not letting it cloud my judgement but with a matchup like this (inhales)....

FUCK YOU JBL!

You were single handedly the most boring part of SD I ever saw. If it wasn't for Thug Cena, Eddie and Taker I would have never watched SD. Now while people might say "OMG he gots ya riled up, he is a heel. Wake Up!" No, till this day I clearly remember thinking I would pay to NOT see JBL. His promos were mediocre for the spot he was in, his wrestling made Batista's matches look like Shawn/Razor from Mania X.

Goldberg spears the fucking beejezus out of ya in under a minute and then wraps up with a JackHammer. And then proceeds to pick you up and jackhammers you again because you thought ' hey this is a big footbal guy who has no respect for the business so I'll stiff him up a little'.

/rant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back