WCW Region, Denver Subregion, Second Round: (4) Dusty Rhodes vs. (13) Batista

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Dusty Rhodes

• Batista

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round match in the WCW Region, Denver Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under WCW Rules. It will be held at the Pepsi Center, Denver, Colorado.

275-Denver_Pepsi_Center_2527.jpg

Dusty-Rhodes.png

#4. Dusty Rhodes

Vs.

Batista1.jpg

#13. Batista

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

What you're looking at in Batista is a guy who beat Triple H in three different matches on PPV, back-to-back. You're looking at a man whose win/loss record over the Undertaker is pretty damn good. You're looking at a man who snapped John Cena's neck. I could go on, but you get the picture. Fact is Batista defeated ever major name put out in front of him. He dominated his era and won more World titles than most as a result. He was a solid face and a terrific heel. He's drastically underrated.

Opposite him is Dusty Rhodes, a gentleman who is highly influential for sure and could talk the people into the building, but a man who only ever dominated a can of beans. He's fought the dirtiest player in the game and failed to get the job done nine times out of ten. He succumbed to the power of the Horsemen and had his leg snapped in twain while Batista would've fought such forces off. And even when Dusty was able to win the big one, he was only capable of holding it for a small amount of time, losing the NWA World Heavyweight title back to Ric Flair mere days later.

Batista has a better career and a better resume. He's the winner.

This is an interesting matchup here. I know a little more about Batista being that I saw him from his very beginnings. Not a lot of folks has the career he had in his time tenure with WWE. Funkay pretty much summed it up, though it's debatable if he was a great heel. Dusty is a legend in his own right, primarily in the NWA days. He had his share of wars with Flair and the Horsemen, usually on the losing end. But he was a solid worker, and a helluva talker. I'm torn here because you can't negate the accomplishments of both competitors. As much as I would love to vote for Dusty, I think I have to give my nod to Batista, mainly due to to his track record post Attitudes Era.

I think it's got to be Batista. Dusty Rhodes' schtick worked incredibly well, and he got himself over, but I just don't see him beating a guy like Batista. The physical mismatch is overwhelming, and I would expect Big Dave to put this one away.

The problem with this match is that, I feel with Batista, he didn't really show up until too late in his career to justify his spot. He was a great look and captured the audiences sentiments, but for the most wasn't a great promo, wasn't even a good promo until much later in his career.

Dusty Rhodes really had to work his gimmick to get over. He obviously wasn't just a good promo but a great one, because 1 guy in a thousand could get over with a body like his at a time like his as a babyface. He's wasn't merely a good baby face, once again, he was a great one. He held the hopes and thoughts of the people of his time in hi buxom body and rocked and rolled long after he probably should based on knowing how to operate a crowd.

That is something I don't feel that Batista can claim for the majority of his career. His hottest period was as an adversary against John Cena going into Wrestlemania 26, and whilst it was great and a far different step from his usual deal, one run of top quality doesn't stand up to the years of quality from Dusty Rhodes.

Dusty Rhodes for the feels.

Has to be Batista.

Batista has had an amazing career and has defeated pretty much every big name in wrestling from 2005 till now. I'm talking HHH, 'Taker, John Cena, Shawn Michaels, etc. Those victories alone make for a damn impressive resume.

I just don't think that the American Dream can physically stand up to Big Dave. The Bionic Elbow just isn't going to do the trick. Also, Batista was probably a better draw than Rhodes. The only thing that Rhodes really has Batista dead to rights on is mic work, however, he needs more than that to get my vote.

Vote Batista.

Dusty's met his match his in the unbelievable physical specimen that is Dave Batista.

The Dream would sell the match to the fans with some emotional promos that's for sure, and would convince you that he was going to slay the monster, but when they got face to face in the ring, there would be only one winner, and that man is Batista.

I've always thought 'tista gets a rough deal from fans. He was far better in the ring than most give him credit for and I enjoyed alot of his promo work, especially as a heel which he definitely would be against Rhodes. If he'd returned to WWE to win the Rumble in any other year he'd have been cheered like hell, he only got the negative reaction due to them wanting Daniel Bryan to win, which wasn't Batista's fault.

He is obviously a far superior athlete to Dusty, faster, stronger and with a greater moveset. The Dream is going down after a Spinebuster and Batista Bomb...if you weeeeelll.

What you're looking at in Batista is a guy who beat Triple H in three different matches on PPV, back-to-back. You're looking at a man whose win/loss record over the Undertaker is pretty damn good. You're looking at a man who snapped John Cena's neck. I could go on, but you get the picture. Fact is Batista defeated ever major name put out in front of him. He dominated his era and won more World titles than most as a result. He was a solid face and a terrific heel. He's drastically underrated.

He beat the Deadman once at CYber Sunday two draws and one loss. I see your point. Doesn't Khali have like 1 win 3 losses to Deadman?

Here is the deal, here is a man who did help elevate a brand in SD and was second fiddle to Cena for years. Rhodes prime had him scouring territories and being a draw. On the LOW JR said there were 2 superstars out of Texas that he considered the greatest, Austin and Mr. Polka Dots. I'll put out more stats about Dusty soon.

I am divided on this I must confess.

I see no reason why anyone would vote for Dusty here. Like, seriously, it makes zero sense to even consider voting for him.

In what alternate universe could Dusty beat Batista in a wrestling match?

In what alternate universe does Dusty's body of work come close to matching Batista's?

No matter what your voting criteria is, you cannot come up with a good reason to vote for Dusty here, other than because you simply hate Batista.

Batista would smash Dusty in every comprehensible way. Batista has more World Title reigns. Batista is bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic, tougher, etc. Batista's matches blow Dusty's matches out of the water. Dusty has Batista beat on interviews, but last I checked this game wasn't built around who can blab on a microphone better. It's about who the better pro wrestler is, and there's no way anyone could say Dusty is better at anything than Batista once that bell rings.

I see no reason why anyone would vote for Dusty here. Like, seriously, it makes zero sense to even consider voting for him.

In what alternate universe could Dusty beat Batista in a wrestling match?

In what alternate universe does Dusty's body of work come close to matching Batista's?

No matter what your voting criteria is, you cannot come up with a good reason to vote for Dusty here, other than because you simply hate Batista.

Batista would smash Dusty in every comprehensible way. Batista has more World Title reigns. Batista is bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic, tougher, etc. Batista's matches blow Dusty's matches out of the water. Dusty has Batista beat on interviews, but last I checked this game wasn't built around who can blab on a microphone better. It's about who the better pro wrestler is, and there's no way anyone could say Dusty is better at anything than Batista once that bell rings.

I havnt watched as many Dusty macthes as I have Batista matches, and while the Animal was good in the ring for his size, Dusty has had some great matches. His matches with Superstar, Flair I really like.

I think it is Batista here because in his time at the top he beat some big names of the time. So did Dusty though, one last query did he win at Starrcade for the championship?

I like Dusty, but how in the hell he matches up to Batista, I'll never understand. Batista was & still is devastating. When it comes to this, Dusty would be the promo-cutting saviour, that went down in the actual match. Batista with a couple of Batista Bombs wouldn't worry about losing this one at all. Moving swiftly into the third round goes Dave.

I simply hate Batista.

Can't honestly remember one point in his career that I liked, even when he was running with Evolution as the powerhouse of the group. I just always felt his personality was very bland and everything he did I found uninteresting. The accomplishments are there for sure, I just could have done without all of them.

Dusty's program as the mega babyface to the Horsemen's heel in the Crockett days was a lot of fun to watch. Dusty was so over as a babyface, the crowds legitimately wanted to (and many times did) leap the barriers in order to protect him from the heels.

The son of a plumber gets this one.

Batista had a better career? Batista has a better resume? Batista was a better draw?

This is just another Hogan/Yokozuna thing were a bunch of smarks are trying to justify a result they know is complete bullshit, isn't it?

I mean, I get it if this is just a bunch of guys that maybe at the earliest, started watching wrestling as Dusty's career was coming to a close. I get it if this is just a bunch of guys that started watching during the Attitude Era or later who only vaguely know Dusty through reputation. You see a fat guy, put him up against a roided up beast like Dave Bautista, and assume that the fat guy doesn't stand a chance, and what the hell did anyone ever see in that fat guy anyways? He must have just booked himself to look good, because how believable is that shit?

I get if you're thinking that... but you're completely wrong.

Dusty Rhodes was one of the biggest draws in wrestling history. People understand how Andre the Giant was an 'attraction'. Dusty was the exact same. Everyone wanted this guy on their shows. He wasn't a WWF wrestler, yet in the 70's he probably worked MSG more than guys that were regulars on that circuit... and he'd be featured right at the top of the card. Same with everywhere else. You booked Dusty for your show, because you knew if you did... you were going to sell out. You could charge a higher price and still sell out. How many people bought a PPV just because Batista was wrestling? Probably a few, but not many. Anyone buying a PPV in Batista's era was buying it if he was on the show or not. When he left the WWE, their business continued on just the same. Countless people however, did buy tickets to wrestling shows when they saw Dusty was going to be on the card. When he left Florida for Mid-Atlantic... Florida's business dropped. When he was in Florida, it was one of the most profitable territories in the country. Dusty absolutely was the bigger draw than Batista.

Batista has the better resume? No. I don't care if Batista has more World titles. Dusty was made a 3 time NWA champion in an era where it was incredibly rare for anyone to ever get more than one run as champ. Adjusted for inflation, Dusty's 3 would be a double digit champion in this age. Plus if we're just talking titles, Dusty was consistently a champion wherever he went. Major titles. 'Mid-card' titles. Tag titles. Dusty always had them. Dusty was always presented at the top of the card. Batista wasn't always.

Batista had the better career? If Batista gave a shit about wrestling (he doesn't), he'd have killed to have ended up with a career as good as Dusty's.

Dusty should go over here. There's no question about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back