• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WCW or ECW: which one do you miss the most?

MINISTRYrising

Championship Contender
So as the title said, Which one do you miss the most WCW or ECW. its been 12 years now since both companys closed (not counting the WWE version of ECW) and I was woundering which company everyone missed the most.

For me it would have to be ECW. There Hardcore style of Wrestling and unique characters were far different then anything else around at the time and while we still have companys like CZW they are by no means as good as what ECW was.

WCW for me. I was a late comer to ECW, my first exposure outside of magazines being their invasion of WWF. WCW, however, was a staple of mine since the early nineties. WCW Saturday Night was my favorite wrestling program for a period, and when Hogan turned, forget about it. I'll always have fond memories of WCW, despite the fact that I had pretty much given up on it by early-mid '99, only switching to it when Raw was on commercial and/or falling asleep watching the replay after Raw went off the air. But yeah, from the quality of their matches, to the cruiserweights, to the foreign stars they brought in, to their presentation, WCW was really astounding for a while, and like I said, I'll always look back on it fondly.

I loved wcw and ecw as a kid but the main thing for me chosing which one I miss the most will be where I live I am born and raised right outside of Philly so seeing ecw and knowing it originated right by me makes me enjoy it a little bit more then wcw

WCW by far. I enjoyed watching WCW back when it was simply Jim Crockett Promotions. During much of the 80s, in my opinion, it had an overall better in-ring product than WWE. Even during the lousy years of WCW, which was during the late 80s through much of the early 90s, they still had great wrestlers on the roster. For me personally, and probably for a lot of others, when I think of WCW, I generally think of most of the 80s and the mid to late 90s as far as the prime stuff, at least for my lifetime, in the company's history.

For the most part, I simply wasn't a fan of ECW once I saw how much of a one trick pony it was. I know some will try their best to convince others that there was more to ECW than the hardcore matches but, I don't really see it. Even former ECW wrestlers have made that claim, yet whenever you see a vignette about ECW, it's always about showing clips from hardcore matches & the extreme violence that went with them. When TNA did the Hardcore Justice thing a few years back as an ECW tribute show, which it will be again now that the Hardcore Justice is part of the One Night Only ppv concept, it was, again, all about the hardcore matches. When I look at most of the ECW roster, I don't really see a company that had very many genuinely good wrestlers. They had some, no doubt, but, in my eyes, most of the roster was made up of wrestlers who made full use of the over the top violence in ECW matches to cover up their actual lack of pro wrestling ability. I wouldn't take 20 companies just like ECW for 1 WCW.

Oh man, that is a tough one, personally I want them both back and think if managed right they could still have audiences today. I miss ECW's mature themed, in your face, honest approach to pro wrestling and their fans. I miss so much about WCW, the international stars, the cruiserweight division, WCW Saturday at 6:05 on Saturday afternoons was sweet.

If I had to pick one to come back I'd have to pick WCW, the way they were before the purchase. They just had more pro wrestling content each week, a wider variety of stars, and more championships. The last man standing does get to dictate how history remembers the fallen I assume. WWE can highlight and embellish how the nWo and Hogan ran WCW in the ground, they can highlight and embellish how ECW was in a bingo hall, how Heyman's checks bounced higher than Empire State Building and can make watered down versions that make the fans sick of the ECW brand on purpose, but they each had their own wrestling magic and the wrestling world was obviously better when they were around and thriving authentically.

I was never a fan of ECW from what I saw. Lots of talent but I guess would've had to have been there to really get it.

WCW, on the other hand, I miss. However, not for the NWO period. Like Jack Hammer, I go back to the first days of the Four Horsemen. I miss Wargames. I miss the Great American Bash Tour. I miss the days of tag teams like the Rock N' Roll Express, The Road Warriors, The Midnight Express and the Steiners. Give me Flair-Steamboat and Flair-Funk.

I feel like I already have the new version of WCW from 2000 onwards. It's called TNA. I've tried to watch, and I just can't get into it. I feel like I'm watching the same NWO schtick over and over. Aces and 8's? C'mon. Lastly, Mike Tenay's voice grates on me.

Anyways, moving on... :)

I miss the old WCW ('95-'99), I wish they were still around. I thought, when Nitro came out, it was cool. WCW made wrestling good again in the mid '90s by live tv and surprising the audience. Before Nitro came out, the WWF was still stuck in the '80s, which was burned out. I wish they didn't get bought out, that was when wrestling died, cause the WWE has no legit competition and does not care like they did in the late 90's. The Best of Nitro DVD's are really good and bring back memories for me.

I miss WCW the most. Keep in mind, I'm was such a WWF fan in those that I hated all things Ted Turner/Atlanta sports. I didn't hate them enough to not watch in protest, but as heels to relish in their failures. I'd watch WCW to cheer on the WWF castoffs.

But I miss wrestling on Saturdays most. WWF had Superstars in morning with Todd Petengil and recaps from house shows, PPVs, and other events. Then spending a Saturday afternoon watching wrestling before I went out that night. You rarely got to see the main eventers on WCW Saturday Night, but they did put on quality matches.

I rarely got see ECW. My parents wouldn't let me buy RF Videos but the SciFi channel showed them at like 3am Sunday morning every once in a blue moon. I still kept up to date by reading PWI and WOW magazines. But I did watch the handful of episodes on TNN that aired. Word of mouth hyped up the Jerry Lynn vs RVD match and it lived up to expectations.

Too bad RVD's ankle was hurt. I wonder what if he was healthy... would ECW still be around? Or if Goldberg's streak had continued would WCW still be around?

WCW by far. ECW was fun, but half the roster couldn't work. As much as a hardcore match can be fun to watch sometimes ECW did too many of them (It was 75% of the promotion). WCW on the other hand had great working relationships with mexico (Luchadores) and New Japan. This led to WCW having a much more of a global feel to it than ECW or WWF ever had. I know that during its last few years in existence that WCW was dying, but I was still watching (kind of) I never jumped over to WWF cause it wasn't my style. When WCW folded I pretty much stopped watching wrestling altogether. I started watching it again when TNA started up (the Asylum days were pretty good) but as soon as TNA went to Spike the product became terrible. I still DVR the show, but I only watch to see Sting. Once he retires I will stop watching. TNA isn't good enough for me to care about the rest of the guys on the roster. I have all of WCW Nitro, Thunder, Saturday Night, Power Hour (etcetera) on DVD. So, when I want my wrestling fix I have 20 years worth to choose from. WCW still lives in my house on a fairly regular basis. ECW... well I tend to watch ECW a few times a year and I mostly watch Mike Awesome and Masato Tanaka's series of matches.

I miss WCW. ECW was just another 3rd rate flash in the pan company. Like all other small time promotions their loss had little effect on the business. But the loss of WCW has had a major effect on Pro Wrestling. Since WCW's demise, WWE has had no competition and as a result has become bland and stagnate with little if any effort to improve it's product. It was the competition that forces a company to make the best product they can. But without it they have no need or desire to improve.

ECW way have given us a few memorable moments, but in the end their demise (even their existence) had little to no effect on the business. Without a doubt WCW was a much greater loss.

Here is the problem for me,i miss both dearly.ECW from 1994-1997 was excellent.The talent was great and i would get to seem most of them in WCW pretty soon.Having Taz and Sabu along with anything Raven was up to was great.The promos were as good as everyone says.

The biggest problem for me though is i will always be a WCW guy.Its was the first company i became fimiliar with in 1992 and i loved.If HH had drop the belt to Savage at Starrcade 1996 instead of losing a NON title match to Piper and not have Macho join NWO,they could have had Savage and Sting doing their own things with DDP Lugar,Steiners,Giant and The 4h doing WCWs battles.Nwo should have lost several main events on ppv but still be dominant on Nitro.That would have keep everybody happy.I think that one move could have changed history.

With all that i miss Dubbya C Dubbya.

WCW without even thinking about it. I never felt like ECW really had much to offer and its style wasn't really something I was into. Although it did have some great wrestlers, characters and promo's most ECW events I saw were pretty hard to sit through, more often than not I had to change the channel because it was mostly garbage.

WCW on the other hand while inconsistent had a lot of things I remember fondly. Whether it be guys like Sting, Goldberg, Flair, nWo, Vader, The Road Warriors, The Steiners, the cruiserweights, ect. they often had some good things going on even if a good chunk wasn't very good. Vader is one of my all time favorites and was the reason I started watching WCW when I was 5 or 6, that alone beats anything ECW ever did.

I'm not trying to bash ECW I just didn't think it was that good, like ever. It was about 10% good, 10% decent, 80% just plain awful. Why would I want to watch a match that you climb a ladder to retrieve barb wire? That's just ******ed.

WCW, back then i had the option to watch TWO shows and i did whenever i got the chance, i have the same options today but i cant stand the other guys so i'll just stick with the E

I was a huge fan of ECW, but I miss WCW the most and it isn't even close. I remember as a kid being in front of the tv every Sat night at 6:05 with a bowl of chips and a soda. WCW Sat night might be my favorite wrestling show off all time. Then during the Monday Night Wars my friend was WCW and I was WWF so we watched Nitro and taped Raw and then watched the tape of Raw right after. We would then compare shows. WCW was a staple for me right along with WWE so yeah I miss it much more.

WCW by a land slide... it kept me watching! I loved the Great american bash on TBS that they use to do. Flair/Steamboat... LUger on the rise, then the change of Sting, 4 horsemen, NWO, Goldberg, the rise of DDP, Stiener, and Booker T. I loved the tag teams and cruiserweights there too... WCW all the way around. LOVED IT!! I wish it was still around.

I liked ECW too but its not as memorable... wrestling is all about moments.... special moments... Hogan / Andre type moments.. and WCW had quite a few of them. Examples like Sting / NWO... Goldberg beating Hogan raising both US and World titles.... DDP giving the diamond cutter to Hall when they were trying to recruit him.. Rodman and Malone facing off while still being against each other during the NBA championship. Hell even Jacqueline beating Disco Inferno was memorable lol.I also remember being legit surprised when the Warrior and Piper appeared in WCW! I remember also being surprised when Sting and Jake the Snake faced off.... and Rick Rude later.... good times, I got into wrestling because of my grandfather, he would watch NWA on TBS at 6:05 on Saturdays.. he LOVED NWA and WCW.. he's no longer with me now.. but those are the memories I cherish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back